109 replies to this topic

#1 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:12 PM

The GameMaker: Player has now been released as a limited beta bundled along with the latest EA version of GameMaker: Studio. You can get the EA version here: https://www.yoyogame...studio/download and the official release notes are here: http://yoyogames.com/player

The current beta is open to everyone using the Early Access version, although it has certain limits still. There is no Mac Or Linux version yet (although those will be along soon), and paid content is only available for viewing, but nor for downloading. The purchase system will be opened up when the Player comes out of beta.

You can find all the information you need to know from the YoYo Games Knowledge Base here: http://help.yoyogame...ameMaker-Player

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#2 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

Latest version of GameMaker:Studio Early Access has the player in it... see Release notes http://store.yoyogam...tes-studio.html

You can download Early Access version here... http://store.yoyogam...er-1.99.267.exe

Russell

Oh come on.  I just updated EA three hours ago.  Now have to update again...

Where is section 9 in the terms?  And 11?

Edited by smash ball, 29 October 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#3 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:44 PM

I would assume that since sections 9 and 11 deal with the paid aspect of the Player, and since there are no paid games available yet to buy (only view) that they are like that intentionally.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#4 lordvtp

lordvtp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

I notice that my marketplace account  login works for the player!

lord5.png

#5 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4734 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:17 PM

Ye, I only noticed this when trying to sign up for a Player account and my email being taken. Would be nice to have some clarification that it is the same account across the Marketplace and Player as it does ask you to sign in with your Player account rather than a more generic YoYoGames Account.

2mma14z.jpg 2nu6efl.jpg 28whvdt.jpg

#6 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:21 PM

From the release notes at http://store.yoyogam...tes-studio.html

* Please create an account or login at player.yoyogames.com - Marketplace logins are fine to use

Russell

#7 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:35 PM

I have used the player a few times now, and l just wanted to say that it's awesome.

Some of the text is poorly rendered and the time can go off screen by a character or two, but those are the only issues I have found.

I'm not sure if we report bugs for the player through GM:S or just post them...

Just found the new helpdesk article for this!

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 29 October 2014 - 08:36 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#8 Janette5

Janette5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

Once you have registered and activated your account, you can use the player to download and play games without the need for any further action. However, if you plan on purchasing games, or if you are a developer wanting to publish or sell your games, then you will have to fill in some additional information on the YoYo Games site.

Concerning the above information. I would ideally like to keep my developer side separated from my player side. I'm concerned that if I ever felt the need to give a game a low rating after playing it, the developer might out of spite rate my games down. Will this be possible?

Secondly, about 1% of the games  I play uses the Escape key, this really is not as popular and widespread as you imagine it. I personally never use it.  None of my games have escape functionality - they all do have proper menus with buttons for pause, restart, quit, options etc.  I hope this will not become a hard and fast rule but remain a suggestion.

Edited by Janette5, 29 October 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#9 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

Ye, I only noticed this when trying to sign up for a Player account and my email being taken. Would be nice to have some clarification that it is the same account across the Marketplace and Player as it does ask you to sign in with your Player account rather than a more generic YoYoGames Account.

From the release notes at http://store.yoyogam...tes-studio.html

* Please create an account or login at player.yoyogames.com - Marketplace logins are fine to use

Russell

This is also mentioned in the online documentation (which of course you have all read, haven't you? :))... http://help.yoyogame...ameMaker-Player

Once you have registered and activated your account, you can use the player to download and play games without the need for any further action. However, if you plan on purchasing games, or if you are a developer wanting to publish or sell your games, then you will have to fill in some additional information on the YoYo Games site.

Concerning the above information. I would ideally like to keep my developer side separated from my player side. I'm concerned that if I ever felt the need to give a game a low rating after playing it, the developer might out of spite rate my games down. Will this be possible?

Secondly, about 1% of the games  I play uses the Escape key, this really is not as popular and widespread as you imagine it. I personally I never use it.  None of my games have escape functionality - they all do have proper menus with buttons  for, pause, restart, quit, options etc.  I hope this will not become a hard and fast rule but remain a suggestion.

Like the marketplace, the publisher can be any name you choose and is linked to the main user account, which isn't visible. So you can publish games with any name you wish... As for the use of the escape key, like any new platform you should adapt to the norms for that platform and while YYG won't pull your game for not using it, it IS recommended practice so that hopefully all users can have the same general experience and use the same general conventions for all games. I would recommend taking a few moments to follow the guidelines and make your game conform to them as much as possible... failure to do so could result in poorer ratings, especially if everyone else does it.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#10 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

So, I do have one question.

When I test in Windows, then switch and test under GM:Player module, my game doesn't use the cache, it recompiles all assets.

It this just because GM detected a target switch, or is it actually a different module?

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#11 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:09 PM

It's a target switch....

Russell

#12 ThePC007

ThePC007

Chickenator

• GMC Member
  • 1062 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:05 PM

So when's the standalone coming out? I don't feel like upgrading to the EA. 

#13 JamardaDigital

JamardaDigital

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:10 PM

Whoa! Just tried out the Player. Sweet! Love the concept, the new marketplace and all. I can't wait to get my projects done and get them out there and maybe even publish some assets too.

Personally, I like the direction that is being taken with GM: S. Cross-platform, buy/sell assets and can now push our games to the player for even more exposure. Sure, I'm digging it all.

Edited by JamardaDigital, 29 October 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#14 lcizzle

lcizzle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

I don't even know where to start.

- Full screen

- Can't copy and paste in my login name and password.

- Doesn't properly obey alt-tab order probably since its full screen / some custom window nonsense causing it to be ignored by alt tab.

- My developer login doesn't work so now I have like 10 accounts across various YoYo things.

- You stuff the games into /AppData. In this day and age when people have small SSDs with the operating system on them

you can't just go throwing stuff on that drive without consideration for the end user. Add the ability to put games on another drive.

- The installer is weird.

Besides that it seems passable. I'm a bit worried about it being another hasty "me too" item. We have Steam, Origin, UPlay, and people already complain about having to install something other than Steam. Seems like this will be super niche and no much more?

#15 Crateboy

Crateboy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

- Full screen

- Doesn't properly obey alt-tab order probably since its full screen / some custom window nonsense causing it to be ignored by alt tab.

- My developer login doesn't work so now I have like 10 accounts across various YoYo things.

- You stuff the games into /AppData. In this day and age when people have small SSDs with the operating system on them

you can't just go throwing stuff on that drive without consideration for the end user. Add the ability to put games on another drive.

Besides that it seems passable. I'm a bit worried about it being another hasty "me too" item. We have Steam, Origin, UPlay, and people already complain about having to install something other than Steam. Seems like this will be super niche and no much more?

Well it's in beta, what do you expect? You're the lab rat buddy ;)
Its super niche.... because its just for GameMaker! It serves its purpose and hopefully it will do well serving its purpose of being a medium to distribute GameMaker games.

#16 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

The appdata struggle is real. My glorious SSD has barely any free space so I can't go installing games to it without fear of imminent system failure.

'username' is odd, as the marketplace logins don't even use usernames but email addressed. Lack of both the ability to paste password or see the password without asterisks is a killer for people with more secure passwords that are a pain to type out (20 characters of random letters and numbers of differing cases were never meant to be typed manually).

And this really doesn't need to be fullscreen by default. Steam big picture mode is only really of use to people with their PC hooked up to a TV, which is the vast minority of players. Likewise for this. This kind of UI just ends up being clunkier for mouse and keyboard operation. Especially since very custom UI means you lose all of Windows' accessibility features like tabbing between fields, Shortcut Characters, screen-reader compatibility, etc. That also stands to make actually paying for games a pain too, if I can't paste in certain information or look for it on my computer (it isn't sensible to assume all end-users know how to work Alt-Tab).

Get a 'show password' checkbox, Copy & Pasting for the fields, and start it in a sensibly sized window and you'll have yourselves a good start.

GHG WUZ ERE

#17 slojanko

slojanko

HARD GAMER

• GMC Member
  • 588 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

I have 2 questions about the GM Player:

1. Does it really have to be an app you're going to have to download? What's wrong with something like GameJolt?

2. Will it really be that popular that people who don't know GM will come there and buy games?

Games in progress:

The unexpected: [--------------------]

My examples on YYG sandbox

My games on GameJolt

#18 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

I am hoping some kind of Web version will be made. I mean, every other service like this I have used has one, even lesser known ones.

In other news, I am using Nocturne's various helpdesk articles to get the next Alpha of Homestead Player ready. 

I have a bit of a question. Since you will be adding payments in the future, are Donations going to be part of that? I like to make my games free, but I usually always have a PayPal button somewhere on my site for the game.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 01 November 2014 - 12:56 AM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#19 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:32 AM

I have a bit of a question. Since you will be adding payments in the future, are Donations going to be part of that? I like to make my games free, but I usually always have a PayPal button somewhere on my site for the game.

I'm pretty sure that donations won't be a part of the Player. The same has been suggested for the Marketplace, and been rejected, so I would assume the Player will follow the same pattern.... legal issues, etc...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#20 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:36 AM

I'm pretty sure that donations won't be a part of the Player. The same has been suggested for the Marketplace, and been rejected, so I would assume the Player will follow the same pattern.... legal issues, etc...

Aww, oh well. Thanks for answering.

I've been thinking of making Homestead a paid game, I am putting a lot of time into it, and the Bazaar Server is not free.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 01 November 2014 - 06:36 AM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#21 Greenhawk

Greenhawk

Gue Games

• GMC Member
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

Game maker continues to bodaciously awesome!

Games Made:

Youtube Channels:

One of the many GMC Gurus.

#22 Mornez

Mornez

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

My thoughts...

I think limiting the number of games for the FREE version of GM is a good idea to prevent the flood of spam that ruined the old sandbox.

Would like to see unlimited games for people with the Professional or Master collection.

Hope they have something in place that will prevent spammers from making multiple accounts...

A good idea would have been to leave the old sandbox for people who have the FREE version of GM.

The new site could have been dedicated for people with the Professional and Master versions.

Another thing that ruined the old Sandbox...People with multiple accounts who gave all the good games 1 star

in an effort to boost their own games (which they gave multiple 5 stars) in the ratings. 

​Maybe only people who have GM Professional or Masters should be allowed to rate games?

.....................................................My Websites................................................         My Videos             

754997_orig.jpg  4295588_orig.jpg  1913238_orig.jpg  5184980_orig.png  

#23 ThePC007

ThePC007

Chickenator

• GMC Member
  • 1062 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

My thoughts...

I think limiting the number of games for the FREE version of GM is a good idea to prevent the flood of spam that ruined the old sandbox.

Would like to see unlimited games for people with the Professional or Master collection.

Hope they have something in place that will prevent spammers from making multiple accounts...

A good idea would have been to leave the old sandbox for people who have the FREE version of GM.

The new site could have been dedicated for people with the Professional and Master versions.

Another thing that ruined the old Sandbox...People with multiple accounts who gave all the good games 1 star

in an effort to boost their own games (which they gave multiple 5 stars) in the ratings. 

​Maybe only people who have GM Professional or Masters should be allowed to rate games?

I'd totally agree. :P

- Full screen

"Doesn't properly obey alt-tab" - Does Win-D / alt-esc still work though? It's what I use to exit out of fullscreen apps usually.

Edited by ThePC007, 02 November 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#24 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:32 PM

Actually, it obeys alt+tab just as well as any other Studio Application. I do wish that there was an option to run it in a window though. My PC does not like fullscreening anything...

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#25 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:12 AM

The appdata struggle is real. My glorious SSD has barely any free space so I can't go installing games to it without fear of imminent system failure.

'username' is odd, as the marketplace logins don't even use usernames but email addressed. Lack of both the ability to paste password or see the password without asterisks is a killer for people with more secure passwords that are a pain to type out (20 characters of random letters and numbers of differing cases were never meant to be typed manually).

And this really doesn't need to be fullscreen by default. Steam big picture mode is only really of use to people with their PC hooked up to a TV, which is the vast minority of players. Likewise for this. This kind of UI just ends up being clunkier for mouse and keyboard operation. Especially since very custom UI means you lose all of Windows' accessibility features like tabbing between fields, Shortcut Characters, screen-reader compatibility, etc. That also stands to make actually paying for games a pain too, if I can't paste in certain information or look for it on my computer (it isn't sensible to assume all end-users know how to work Alt-Tab).

Get a 'show password' checkbox, Copy & Pasting for the fields, and start it in a sensibly sized window and you'll have yourselves a good start.

Aaand this is why I never jump on any beta bandwagons. :P

As for SSDs, GMS games has been using  Appdata/Local for ages (due to cross-platform reasons and Microsoft's backwards compatibility incompetence) and since the player only plays GMS games...
There's no particular reason to put the EXEs there, though, really, only the sandbox files. (I'm not sure GMS games are very good with SSDs in general, though, given that those files might get updated quite often even if they're small...).

(20 characters of random letters and numbers of differing cases were never meant to be typed manually).

Correct Horse Battery Staple! Same entropy, easier to type. Shame most systems enforce usage of at least 1 special character, though, but I don't think the Player does.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#26 Janette5

Janette5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:33 AM

Yoyogames, 

Do you have any nice advertising banners that we can put on our websites to promote Game Maker Player, just to create some awareness of it? 

#27 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:39 AM

There is currently no Press Pack for the Player, since it is in early Beta. When there is it will be available here: https://www.yoyogames.com/company:thumbsup:

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#28 DeepBlueLight

DeepBlueLight

Pro Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:17 PM

My thoughts...

Me and Sandbox lovers agree but why do admins not agree :( :'(

#29 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:15 PM

My thoughts...

Because you and those that agree with you, have limited access to information

• You don't have access to account names doing the rating
  • You don't have access to rating patterns by these accounts
  • You don't have access to IP addresses used by these accounts
  • You don't have access to background information associated with these accounts such as email address

The admins have access to all the above information.

So given one group of individuals who have access to all of the above information, and another group of individuals who have none of the extra information, and they draw different conclusions. Which group is likely more correct?

The answer. Not you.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#30 Mornez

Mornez

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:54 PM

(Naked Paul Toast)...As a former Sandbox MOD...I did have access to some of that info...

On the old Sandbox...I wish I had the power to delete all ratings from a downrater or all spam from a spammer with just one click.

Can we agree that the ad spammers, downraters and tutorial edits with fake screen shots ruined the old Sandbox?

.....................................................My Websites................................................         My Videos             

754997_orig.jpg  4295588_orig.jpg  1913238_orig.jpg  5184980_orig.png  

#31 DeepBlueLight

DeepBlueLight

Pro Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

My thoughts...

Because you and those that agree with you, have limited access to information

• You don't have access to account names doing the rating
  • You don't have access to rating patterns by these accounts
  • You don't have access to IP addresses used by these accounts
  • You don't have access to background information associated with these accounts such as email address

The admins have access to all the above information.

So given one group of individuals who have access to all of the above information, and another group of individuals who have none of the extra information, and they draw different conclusions. Which group is likely more correct?

The answer. Not you.

Player will be Free? and we not need to download it for downloading games from it?

#32 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:42 AM

I'm not sure how your question relates to NPT's post there...

The Player is free, and if you want to play any games on it, yes you will need to download it.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#33 DeepBlueLight

DeepBlueLight

Pro Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:38 PM

The Player is free, and if you want to play any games on it, yes you will need to download it.

we need to download player to download games? and others also?

#34 Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn

Valar Morghulis

• GMC Member
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

The Player is like Steam. An app (which you download) from where you can download, manage, buy and play games uploaded for the Player. So yes, you have to download the player to use it.

However, we developers can of course upload our GameMaker games somewhere else than to the player, if that's what you worry about,

oldGMCsig1.png oldGMCsig2.png oldGMCsig3.png oldGMCsig4.png oldGMCsig5.png

#35 DeepBlueLight

DeepBlueLight

Pro Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:16 PM

The Player is like Steam. An app (which you download) from where you can download, manage, buy and play games uploaded for the Player. So yes, you have to download the player to use it.

However, we developers can of course upload our GameMaker games somewhere else than to the player, if that's what you worry about,

ok thanks :)

#36 xMicky

xMicky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

Just one question I didn't find on the Players FAQ-page:
When your application wants to store or load data into/from the working_directory like screenshots, highscores, user settings for his avatar-character - is then the working_directory on YoYos server or on the users computer at home ? If on YoYos server, are there any limitations for the storage amount ?

Edited by xMicky, 09 November 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#37 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:52 PM

Just one question I didn't find on the Players FAQ-page:
When your application wants to store or load data into/from the working_directory like screenshots, highscores, user settings for his avatar-character - is then the working_directory on YoYos server or on the users computer at home ? If on YoYos server, are there any limitations for the storage amount ?

My guess: it's stored locally just like normally, and synchronization (if any) is handled automatically behind the scenes.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#38 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

Topic tidied. Please stay on topic guys.... :thumbsup:

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#39 Han

Han

Enemy of the State

• Banned Users
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

Topic tidied. Please stay on topic guys.... :thumbsup:

I see you removed my comment. Was it offensive?

#40 Crateboy

Crateboy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:15 PM

Oh man I'm so keen to publish on the Player I updated my game just for it! Unfortunately there is a bug preventing me from doing so at the moment but help desk said it will be fixed next update which is great news. I guess I'll just have to cram in more content while I wait!  :lol:

#41 Annoyed Grunt

Annoyed Grunt

Right behind you.

• GMC Member
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

Ok, downloaded and tried it.

Making it go fullscreen is a really bad idea.

Every time somebody uses the term "Roguelike" improperly I cry.

Spoiler

#42 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

I had a go and downloaded Abbaye des Morts.  Which I enjoyed muchly. Very Spectrum-like, only missing the attribute colour-clash glitch/feature of the Speccy.   Says the game is from 2010.  Never seen it til now.   Not sure I like getting email receipts when the game is free though.  Sony have started doing that lately (in the past couple months I keep getting a receipt for each PlayStation Plus freebie game.  Bit annoying).  But not real problems as of yet.

#43 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

@Carnivac - You don't know LocoMalito!??!!? Good god man, where have you been? Here, do yourself a favour: http://www.locomalito.com/ I have a feeling you will love his work...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#44 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

Oh I seen those before but didn't realise it was same guy.  I dunno.  I find the colour usage in the more 16-bit looking stuff really dry and somewhat bland even though the actual pixel work is nice.   I really like the Spectrum feel of Abbaye des Morts for some reason though (I didn't ever even own a Spectrum).   It's like the older I get, the less colours I want in my games or something.  I've no idea.  :P    Maybe it's cos it feels much more 'european' whereas many of the games there look more inspired by japanese companies such as Capcom and Konami.  I miss those days.

Edited by Carnivac, 15 November 2014 - 05:50 PM.

#45 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

Aw, I was almost gonna buy that Rubble & Strafe, especially when it said "inspired by Amstrad classic 'Harrier Attack'" (a game I used to play often in the mid 80's) but the screenshots show that ugly resolution breaking rotation which puts me off completely...  Shame.

Why is this thing called GMBlue: Player anyways? What's the blue about?

#46 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

All EA stuff is Blue, they just decided to make it more fancy I guess.

Is/will it (be) possible to distribute "keys" for paid games? So I can give copies away to people who, say bought the game on itch.io?

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#47 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

We have different colours of GameMaker:Studio that can be installed side by side

Red - Internal Dev version 

Blue - Early Access

Green - Beta or Stable version 

Player also comes in these flavours....

Russell

#48 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

Ah ok.  I noticed the EA versions had a blue YOYO icon rather than the green (though the current one still uses the green but with a blue circle on the bottom left) but I didn't realise it had actual signifance other than being able to quickly tell which one was which when both loaded at same time.   

#49 JackOatley

JackOatley

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:34 PM

It's like Pokemon, you get different features in each color. And you have to have them all to collect all the features to be a GameMaker Master!

#50 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:27 PM

It's like Pokemon, you get different features in each color.

I Used to think pokemon have the features. Ah! Silly me.

And you have to have them all to collect all the features to be a GameMaker Master!

It means I am GM Master!
@rwkay- Thanks for the info!

You can't be a Master, unless you work at YoYo. No one outside the Development team has the legendary RED BLEEDING EDGE builds... Sadly...

Also, my last question was either overlooked or ignored by Mr.Kay....

Is/will it (be) possible to distribute "keys" for paid games? So I can give copies away to people who, say bought the game on itch.io?

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png