Photo

Smooth Terrain - On sale for a limited time!

scripts

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tahnok

Tahnok

Friendly Madman

• GMC Member
  • 1854 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:23 AM

splash_gmc.png

Dynamically create smooth sloping terrain! Smooth Terrain handles all the calculations and heavy-lifting required to generate textured terrain from concave polygons.

Features:
  • Create terrain from concave polygons.
  • Automatically textures the polygon.
  • Automatically adds physics edging around the polygon.
  • Supports saving and loading your terrain to and from binary files.
  • Automatically corrects for clockwise or counter-clockwise windings (you can define your polygon by drawing in either a clockwise or counter-clockwise motion.)

Click here to to the Markplace page

Click here to download a Windows demo

screenshot_01_gmc.png

screenshot_02_gmc.png

Click here to to the Markplace page

Click here to download a Windows demo

Edited by Tahnok, 15 November 2014 - 07:32 PM.

gmc_signature.png

#2 Tahnok

Tahnok

Friendly Madman

• GMC Member
  • 1854 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:25 AM

On sale for a limited time now.

gmc_signature.png

#3 Indecom4000

Indecom4000

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1636 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:40 AM

Looks good man. I think this could look really cool combined with some normal mapping shader!

LD-Logo-sml.png

#4 gabrielcrowe

gabrielcrowe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:21 AM

i'm using this in my game, and i would pay for normal mapping to be added to this. <3

#5 jaimitoes

jaimitoes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

I think if you conbine this asset with this other: sprite along path

You can made something similar like the ubi art engine, interesting....

Edited by jaimitoes, 03 April 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#6 gabrielcrowe

gabrielcrowe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:52 AM

i already extended this myself to do an edge using sprites. i was making rock formations. i'm no texture artist but i would not get this to look satisfactory.

i tried things pointing outwards, and things like gradients pointing inwards, generally i've gone for manually positioned sprites in my level editor.

KyNAYLh.png

Edited by gabrielcrowe, 04 April 2015 - 06:04 AM.

#7 jaimitoes

jaimitoes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

i already extended this myself to do an edge using sprites. i was making rock formations. i'm no texture artist but i would not get this to look satisfactory.

i tried things pointing outwards, and things like gradients pointing inwards, generally i've gone for manually positioned sprites in my level editor.

KyNAYLh.png

This is cool!!

#8 gabrielcrowe

gabrielcrowe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

this is the smooth terrain with a hack that puts sprites along the edges, running in the engine itself:

8ig5eHw.jpg

People wanting vector based levels, this extension is for you. Buy it.

If you want to add shadow meshes using the glare lighting engine then i did it like this:

//create a static mesh
mesh_id = glr_mesh_create(x,y, true);

for (var i = 0; i < ds_list_size(points_x); i++) {           
	//add vertices
    glr_mesh_vertex_add(mesh_id, real(ds_list_find_value(points_x, i))-x, real(ds_list_find_value(points_y, i))-y );
}

This extension is quite well self documenting, and adding lights and shadows to it was super easy.

#9 gabrielcrowe

gabrielcrowe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:24 AM

Here is a video of this engine running in game, with normal mapping bolted on and the Glare light engine:

https://www.youtube....h?v=CKpgwjp6-vE

I've just got to say thankyou for this, and once again, if you're looking for awesome physics levels, this is the asset. Go buy it now.

#10 jaimitoes

jaimitoes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

Here is a video of this engine running in game, with normal mapping bolted on and the Glare light engine:

https://www.youtube....h?v=CKpgwjp6-vE

I've just got to say thankyou for this, and once again, if you're looking for awesome physics levels, this is the asset. Go buy it now.

Very nice Game!

Edited by jaimitoes, 21 May 2015 - 09:43 PM.

#11 Toxigames

Toxigames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

This looks to be exactly what I need for my physics game. However I am wondering if Smooth Terrain supports large rooms, say for example 130000px wide, 2000px high, and whether there is integrated support for dynamically creating/deleting terrain? Say the player objects is in the beginning of the room, at 0px, then I don't want objects and physics fixtures created at the end of room yet, because that would affect performance. And vice verse when the player has progressed far enough the objects in the beginning of the room I'd like to be destroyed. If this is not integrated is it possible to implement it myself, or would that be an inherit limit of Smooth Terrain itself? Some engines does not give access to core source code which in some cases limits what you can do/change, that is why I am asking.

#12 Toxigames

Toxigames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:00 PM

Hey just want to say I bought it and I haven't regretted it one bit. Getting to grips with what this extension does is quite easy from studying it's scripts and demo objects. The extension as a whole is easy to set up to use as a full physics level editor/creator. It's scripts are in addition quite easy to use seperately and implement in other projects. The best 5$ I have spend in a long time!

#13 gabrielcrowe

gabrielcrowe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:16 PM

This looks to be exactly what I need for my physics game. However I am wondering if Smooth Terrain supports large rooms, say for example 130000px wide, 2000px high, and whether there is integrated support for dynamically creating/deleting terrain? Say the player objects is in the beginning of the room, at 0px, then I don't want objects and physics fixtures created at the end of room yet, because that would affect performance. And vice verse when the player has progressed far enough the objects in the beginning of the room I'd like to be destroyed. If this is not integrated is it possible to implement it myself, or would that be an inherit limit of Smooth Terrain itself? Some engines does not give access to core source code which in some cases limits what you can do/change, that is why I am asking.

the extension has a script called something like terrain_load_from_buffer. what it does is load a file and create terrains from it. This has inside it an example on how to create terrains on the fly.

you could make these terrains off the screen using this tecnique i suppose, and destroy them as they leave on the other side.

we aware that the extension also creates physics edges using another script called pr_terrain_create_physics_edges. the problem i had for not drawing the terrains till later was that i had things resting on them, and without creating them sooner, my things would fall through them.

i compromised on only drawing them when they were in the view.

#14 Toxigames

Toxigames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:50 PM

the extension has a script called something like terrain_load_from_buffer. what it does is load a file and create terrains from it. This has inside it an example on how to create terrains on the fly.

you could make these terrains off the screen using this tecnique i suppose, and destroy them as they leave on the other side.

we aware that the extension also creates physics edges using another script called pr_terrain_create_physics_edges. the problem i had for not drawing the terrains till later was that i had things resting on them, and without creating them sooner, my things would fall through them.

i compromised on only drawing them when they were in the view.

Yes! I purchased it and found out it is actually very very easy to implemtemt each individual script into my project. Also box2d is extremely performance effecient with objects resting on/touching other physics objects as long as no force is applied. They will become deactivated and use a minimum of calculation. You can have a very large number of physics objects as long as there are not too many objects interacting with eachother at once.

Edited by Toxigames, 22 October 2015 - 09:53 PM.

#15 fhd

fhd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:16 AM

Great asset, thanks !

Edited by fhd, 22 December 2015 - 06:18 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scripts