318 replies to this topic

#51 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

True, but they could just remove EXPORTING to the VM and keep it for debugging. I don't think they will, but that is what I thought was happening.

After re-reading the OP It APPEARS they will be keeping both, which is good.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#52 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

Not sure if there's any real valid reasons for not compiling the final version. Lemme think...

You could maybe... make 2 versions of your games: the cheap VM version which has a disclaimer each time you start it along the lines of "This version has execution speed capped automatically which will slow down your game. Buy the compiled version for a smoother gameplay", and the paid compiled version which runs much faster.

...probably not a good business model, though, since it will make you look like a total jerk. 

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#53 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

I assume that we won't be uploading our source files to GM:Player... and since compiled versions don't work with it, that only leaves a VM version export, right?

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#54 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

They could have just SAID that compiled versions won't work since they had yet to announce this.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#55 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:48 PM

Ok I must be dumb to not quite be understanding whats happening, maybe its because I'm still with my lovely 8.1 haha

I do plan on getting Studio soon to have access to all those ports since I am a serious developer but reading through this thread and hearing talk about Studio 2.0 what do you guys think I should do? From the memo it sounds like I should be buying Pro right now for the limited time price of $49 then I'll get the upgrades come Nov 6th but when I look on the purchase page its still listed as $99?

EDIT: Nevermind about the price, its not listed on the main buying page until you click "purchase pro" but my question remains, you guys probably recommend strongly I buy Studio Pro now instead of wait for 2.0?

You don't sound like a serious developer.

How do you think that people can advise you waiting for 2.0?

We know nothing about it's capabilities, pricing or release time frame.

Consult a Ouija board.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#56 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

They could have just SAID that compiled versions won't work since they had yet to announce this.

Russell said that days before this announcement. ;)

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#57 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

Russell said that days before this announcement. ;)

People were more concerned about the name, then the actual capabilities of the service.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#58 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

You don't sound like a serious developer.

How do you think that people can advise you waiting for 2.0?

We know nothing about it's capabilities, pricing or release time frame.

Consult a Ouija board.

That was kinda rude and wrongfully assuming...just because I'm still in 8.1? 

I asked about that advice because some people know more about Studio and therefore keep up with studio news compared to me since I had no idea a Studio 2 has been talked about. So how could you fault me for asking people who seem to know more about Studio's future than me? If its completely unclear when it'll come out then that is the answer I need to hear so I know that Studio 2 isn't coming around the corner and to not pass this deal up. Jeez 

Edited by kupo15, 11 October 2014 - 05:17 PM.

** LIKE us on Facebook!** Follow us on Twitter!

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#59 Banduck

Banduck

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

what about windows yyc?

#60 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

Studio 2.0 won't be around for quite some time... It's only in the very infancy of development (ie: planning), and it's going to be a completely new beast, so I would imagine that it will take a bit of time since the IDE etc... has to be built and designed from scratch.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#61 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

Studio 2.0 won't be around for quite some time... It's only in the very infancy of development (ie: planning), and it's going to be a completely new beast, so I would imagine that it will take a bit of time since the IDE etc... has to be built and designed from scratch.

Thanks for the info Nocturne, that is what I was looking for and I just purchased Pro with the deal. I'm sure buying it now won't hurt for when Studio 2 gets released. They might have an update bonus to Pro purchasers like they've been doing for Studio

** LIKE us on Facebook!** Follow us on Twitter!

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#62 Greenhawk

Greenhawk

Gue Games

• GMC Member
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:25 PM

Interesting

Games Made:

Youtube Channels:

One of the many GMC Gurus.

#63 bholtzman

bholtzman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

Just to be completely clear for myself. Those who have purchased the master's collection license will not have to pay for any of the new module changes to get the YYC compiler in each new module? The only upgrade charge will be for Studio 2.0 when that comes out?

Also any ballpark-ish speculation on what the price of a master's collection upgrade will be with 2.0? Will there even be the same type of edition to upgrade to?

Thanks!

#64 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

im liking this change because it means that there keeping with gms1 for quite some time other wise there wouldn't be a price increase for something that's ending any time soon, no company would do something like that to there customer base so all good  :)

#65 rubenjavier

rubenjavier

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:53 AM

This was asked before, but still I see no real answer...

What happens with those who purchased the YYC separatedly?

I just purchased it recently in the summer, and I already owned Android and iOS exports, I was missing Windows Phone 8 and YYC, and I chose YYC wich was far more expensive because it would give me two better compilations (my android and iOS modules), and now I feel like I just threw a LOT of money on nothing, since I already had the exports, and now Im still missing the Windows Phone Export, wich is also going to cost the same as the YYC I just bough and that is getting discontinued, so in my case I payed for nothing.

I know there is probably going to be a lot of people saying that Im wrong, but I think this is not fair at all, and those who bought the YYC should get something... at least the original prices of the exports.

I would really like somebody from YYG saying something about this

#66 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:04 AM

What happens with those who purchased the YYC separatedly? *snip*

My guess is probably nothing. My personal opinion is that it'd be fair if YYG let you purchase the export modules for the original price. But there's nothing forcing a company to do anything.. I, for one, really understand how much that sucks. I used to play an MMO I had spent at least 1000 dollars on during my 2 years playing it, and then it got discontinued because the company hosting it shut down all their online services for an unknown reason.. so.. Life isn't always fair.. but I really hope YYG provides a $100 discount on export modules for previous YYC owners.

~ Pause systems for your games ~

EasyPauseIcon.png                   icon_medium.png

#67 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:22 AM

Currently, when the YYC is purchased, your YYC license does cover ALL of the YYC exports, even for ones you don't own. So if you buy the YYC first, then buy a module that supports it, you get that YYC module also.

So $300 for ALL YYC exports, plus export charge.

The NEW system is adding $100 onto the price of all YYC compatible exports, meaning if you want that export you have to pay for the YYC regardless. Buying them all will be more expensive after the price change. You got them for cheaper.

This is what I meant in my last explanitory post, but I worded it poorly.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#68 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:28 AM

Why can't YYG put up the price of the HTML5 module? Why do they have to have "improved" it? They have btw, in a thousand little ways since it was originally created for GM:Html5... I mean, a company can put the price they want on their products if they think that people will  pay for it (how about $45,000 for a cable, for example) . Maybe they have been under pricing it for the last year and are now taking the opportunity to fix it? Maybe it's actually worth a WHOLE LOT MORE than the new $200 (imho, it is as it enables you to publish for mobile without the modules and can provide an excellent income, just ask True Valhalla) so you are still getting a bargain?

We aren't True Valhalla.

Anyway, I never said that they couldn't increase the price nor that I'm against it. They should only do it though (*in my personal opinion*) if the module has been improved in some way (like YYC), but HTML5 does not have YYC and bug fixes do not warrant a price increase and again, I don't use HTML5 so if it has received some great features in the past two years to make it sensible to add in $100 to its price point then I'd love to know.

Also, why is Windows Phone 8's price increased as well? Again, it doesn't have a YYC. It makes sense for iOS and Android because they have YYC, but Windows Phone 8 doesn't.

Just to be completely clear for myself. Those who have purchased the master's collection license will not have to pay for any of the new module changes to get the YYC compiler in each new module? The only upgrade charge will be for Studio 2.0 when that comes out?

Also any ballpark-ish speculation on what the price of a master's collection upgrade will be with 2.0? Will there even be the same type of edition to upgrade to?

Thanks!

Right. Currently there still isn't YYC modules for: Mac, Linux, and Windows Phone 8. So if YoYo Games releases them in 1.x then all Master Collection owners get them for free.

No one knows what the upgrade fee will be for 2.0. I think Sandy said that there will be a upgrade path for previous Studio owners.

Edited by Mr. RPG, 12 October 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#69 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:05 AM

Also, why is Windows Phone 8's price increased as well? Again, it doesn't have a YYC. It makes sense for iOS and Android because they have YYC, but Windows Phone 8 doesn't.

Windows Phone 8 Compiler & Export   +$299.99

#70 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:09 AM

Windows Phone 8 Compiler & Export   +$299.99

There is no YYC for Windows Phone 8.

#71 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:23 AM

There is not currently a released YYC for Windows Phone 8. Perchance they're about to release one.

#72 rubenjavier

rubenjavier

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:50 AM

What happens with those who purchased the YYC separatedly? *snip*

My guess is probably nothing. My personal opinion is that it'd be fair if YYG let you purchase the export modules for the original price. But there's nothing forcing a company to do anything.. I, for one, really understand how much that sucks. I used to play an MMO I had spent at least 1000 dollars on during my 2 years playing it, and then it got discontinued because the company hosting it shut down all their online services for an unknown reason.. so.. Life isn't always fair.. but I really hope YYG provides a $100 discount on export modules for previous YYC owners.

in this case there is not an unknown reason, YYG says they are enhancing for the developers, and they actually dont really discontinue the product I just recently bought (wich was also the most expensive), but turn it into something different by divide it by export... but I already owned the iOS and Android export before buying YYC (the  ones that used to have YYC), and the one I didn't got in the summer to be able to pay for the YYC (Win Phone 8) gets compiler, but up until now there is no word if we (previous YYC owners) get something.

So this is not about life being fair, its about bussiness and customers, because until no official word is spoken, a company in a very short period of time allowed a customer to buy a product that they were going to "discontinue" and turn it into something else, and the customer just paid a lot of money for something he already had according to what the company did, wich is the same to pay a lot of money for nothing, and from my point of view its a bad bussiness practice, because as a customer I am feeling cheated out of my money until official word is spoken. Since I just bought a product, its turned into something else and Im not even getting the proportional part of what the old product used to be for the export Im missing, instead that export is going to cost me more.

#73 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

Erm... That's life?  :biggrin:

When you buy ANYTHING there is always the chance that the next day it will be cheaper. You buy a car for $15,000, then the next day see that the manufacturer has decided to lower the price to $12,000. You don't go back to them and say "give me back my $3000"! You as a buyer have to decide when it is appropriate to buy a product at any given price, and the seller has to decide when it is appropriate to change the price. That's just the way of things...

I mean, I bought a TV for €600 in August, and now (in the same shop) it's selling for €549 and it's an updated model, but I'm certainly not going to go back to the shop and demand that they justify this or give me a refund or anything. So to expect this from YYG because they changed their pricing is ludicrous.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#74 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

There is not currently a released YYC for Windows Phone 8. Perchance they're about to release one.

SQUIRREL?! :heidy:

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#75 rubenjavier

rubenjavier

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

Erm... That's life?  :biggrin:

When you buy ANYTHING there is always the chance that the next day it will be cheaper. You buy a car for $15,000, then the next day see that the manufacturer has decided to lower the price to $12,000. You don't go back to them and say "give me back my $3000"! You as a buyer have to decide when it is appropriate to buy a product at any given price, and the seller has to decide when it is appropriate to change the price. That's just the way of things...

I mean, I bought a TV for €600 in August, and now (in the same shop) it's selling for €549 and it's an updated model, but I'm certainly not going to go back to the shop and demand that they justify this or give me a refund or anything. So to expect this from YYG because they changed their pricing is ludicrous.

I dont think the TV shop example applies here, in your case you are talking about a physical good over wich the store has no power whatsoever over when is discontinued or changed, in this case YYG are the manufacturers and had an internal plan to turn the product into something else, they are doing something for the previous owners of the exports, why cant something be done for the owners of the product in question, wich was by far more expensive and a recent purchase.

Please dont make it sound about a pricing change, since  think I explained myself clearly in my previous post

", its about bussiness and customers, because until no official word is spoken, a company in a very short period of time allowed a customer to buy a product that they were going to "discontinue" and turn it into something else"

I really like YYG, but I also think that something should be done for the recent buyers of a product they were going to turn into something else

#76 Firestorm457

Firestorm457

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

I agree with you as purchasing the YYC gave me access to it with all exports that support it. At this point in time I don't own the additional exports but if I choose to purchase them say this December that YYG will force me to buy the YYC again which I already paid for. For me that really brings the question should I continue business with YYG in the future knowing that a license I purchased previously basically doesn't mean anything to them.

#77 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

Currently, when the YYC is purchased, your YYC license does cover ALL of the YYC exports, even for ones you don't own. So if you buy the YYC first, then buy a module that supports it, you get that YYC module also.

So $300 for ALL YYC exports, plus export charge.

The NEW system is adding $100 onto the price of all YYC compatible exports, meaning if you want that export you have to pay for the YYC regardless. Buying them all will be more expensive after the price change. You got them for cheaper.

This is what I meant in my last explanitory post, but I worded it poorly.

I see what you mean now.. But I don't see how that's related to the problem that previous YYC customers are upset about.

I mean, think about those who bought only the YYC, and no export modules. Then wouldn't it be fair to give them a $100 discount if they want to buy an export module in the future? Asking them to pay additional 100 dollars for something they have already spent 300 dollars on will only upset these customers which is bad for YYG because, one, those customers will avoid buying YYG products in the future, and two, will probably only have bad things to say about the company.

Edit:

Also, that TV example isn't the same thing.. Discounts and price changes happen all the time, and new products are released all the time. .. And even then, there are offers like "Bring your old galaxy phone and get a discount when buying the latest one". It's a way for the company to reward old customers for buying more of their products.

Honestly, I feel "punished" by YYG (as opposed to feeling rewarded) when buying parts of GM:S. Like, I initially bought GM:S professional and the android export module.. But I have avoided buying anything else because the next step for me would be to buy the master collection, but then I would feel like I had wasted $99+$199 on something that I'm now paying for again (and probably will have to pay for yet again when 2.x is released). So that kind of business makes customers hesitate to spend more money.

Edited by Pandaboy, 12 October 2014 - 10:02 AM.

~ Pause systems for your games ~

EasyPauseIcon.png                   icon_medium.png

#78 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

That TV store and the car example are perfectly fine... But here's a different version:

I bought <insert goods name here> and the next <insert timeframe here> the price was changed and I am <insert feeling here>.

Guys, that's life! Prices change, offers come and go, and you can't feel bad about a company because they changed their prices. They ALL do it, no matter what they are selling... A price increase was inevitable, if only to cover inflation and the rising cost of living for their employees, and let's be honest here, GMS was astoundingly good value for money, and still is even with this price raise. 

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#79 rubenjavier

rubenjavier

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

That TV store and the car example are perfectly fine... But here's a different version:

I bought <insert goods name here> and the next <insert timeframe here> the price was changed and I am <insert feeling here>.

Guys, that's life! Prices change, offers come and go, and you can't feel bad about a company because they changed their prices. They ALL do it, no matter what they are selling... A price increase was inevitable, if only to cover inflation and the rising cost of living for their employees, and let's be honest here, GMS was astoundingly good value for money, and still is even with this price raise. 

Nocturne, for the second time Im asking you to Not make it sound like we the customers are talking about a pricing change:

Please dont make it sound about a pricing change, since  think I explained myself clearly in my previous post

", its about bussiness and customers, because until no official word is spoken, a company in a very short period of time allowed a customer to buy a product that they were going to "discontinue" and turn it into something else"

like Pandaboy just said:

Asking them to pay additional 100 dollars for something they have already spent 300 dollars on will only upset these customers which is bad for YYG because, one, those customers will avoid buying YYG products in the future, and two, will probably only have bad things to say about the company.

its about bussiness and customers, and for a company that praise itself as indie friendly, 300$ of something a customer already paid for that must be now paid again (until an official word says something different) is very unfriendly for indie development.

I told you before and I keep my stand:

I really like YYG, but I also think that something should be done for the recent buyers of a product they were going to turn into something else

and Im keeping it not for the sake of passion or argument, but as a thoughtful and loyal customer, backing it up with facts, and for others in the same situation.

So Im asking you again, dont make it sound about a price change and dont give the customers a " Guys, that's life! "answer, because its not a serious bussiness/customers answer.

And to YYG, please give an official word to the YYC customers, let us know that we are right about you and you do care for your customers and indie development

Thanks in advance

Edited by rubenjavier, 12 October 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#80 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

I guess I just don't understand this part:

its about bussiness and customers, and for a company that praise itself as indie friendly, 300$ of something a customer already paid for that must be now paid again (until an official word says something different) is very unfriendly for indie development.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about there? WHAT do you think has to be paid for again?

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#81 rubenjavier

rubenjavier

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

We have given various examples in previous posts,

Im going to quote another upset customer to show the simplest case

Firestorm457 put it very clearly in his example

I agree with you as purchasing the YYC gave me access to it with all exports that support it. At this point in time I don't own the additional exports but if I choose to purchase them say this December that YYG will force me to buy the YYC again which I already paid for. For me that really brings the question should I continue business with YYG in the future knowing that a license I purchased previously basically doesn't mean anything to them.

and since you said, you just dont understand that part, then I assume that you understand the rest of our points of view, and that its not about a price change...

And again, to YYG, please give an official word to the YYC customers, let us know that we are right about you and you do care for your customers and indie development.

Edited by rubenjavier, 12 October 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#82 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:22 AM

They are worried that if they have purchased the $300 YYC, but NO EXTRA MODULES, they will still have to pay the new increased price when they DO buy modules.

And, TBH, I haven't seen anything that states they won't have too. Since they have already paid YoYo for the compiler, shouldn't previous owners be able to enter their YYC license into the store and get discounts on Modules that had separate YYC exports?

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#83 rubenjavier

rubenjavier

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:29 AM

They are worried that if they have purchased the $300 YYC, but NO EXTRA MODULES, they will still have to pay the new increased price when they DO buy modules.

And, TBH, I haven't seen anything that states they won't have too. Since they have already paid YoYo for the compiler, shouldn't previous owners be able to enter their YYC license into the store and get discounts on Modules that had separate YYC exports?

Thank you LukanSpellweaver, the customers shoulndt have to pay twice, and even more wth their most expensive module, and there are still no official word saying anything about YYC owners, just exporters owners

So,

Again, to YYG, please give an official word to the YYC customers, let us know that we are right about you and you do care for your customers and indie development

#84 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

Pfff.... It's Sunday and my head is obviously still not fully awake. Sorry, I honestly couldn't see what you guys were getting at but Lukans post has helped clear it up. I'll see if we can't get something official posted tomorrow.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#85 rubenjavier

rubenjavier

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

Pfff.... It's Sunday and my head is obviously still not fully awake. Sorry, I honestly couldn't see what you guys were getting at but Lukans post has helped clear it up. I'll see if we can't get something official posted tomorrow.

Thank you very much nocturne, really appreciate it

...I think this is just something that slipped from the planification, but as Lukans says its fixable using our already existing licenses, and thats what the forums are for... so thanks again ;)

#86 iSeiren

iSeiren

www.worrall.pw

• GMC Member
  • 633 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

<sarcasm>

I bought GM:HTML5 at a stupidly low price like everyone else had the chance to when it was in beta and now it's $200. Can you do anything about that?

</sarcasm>

Ignore them, my concern is Steam. I bought android on steam. Will this new update apply to me too?

Professional Mobile app Developer

#87 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

I bought android on steam. Will this new update apply to me too?

It should. It may take a week or two to come through, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't part of it, especially as YYG strive to keep the Steam version on a parity with the regular version.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#88 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

<sarcasm>

I bought GM:HTML5 at a stupidly low price like everyone else had the chance to when it was in beta and now it's $200. Can you do anything about that?

</sarcasm>

Ignore them, my concern is Steam. I bought android on steam. Will this new update apply to me too?

Not only is that "example" completely different than the situation YYC people are facing, but you make yourself look ignorant by making it.

These people are worried that, should they choose to buy modules after November 6th that they will be charged AGAIN for something they have already purchased.

They already own the YYC, and they don't want to be faced will additional module charges for something they were told they would get already since they have a whole YYC module license.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 12 October 2014 - 01:31 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#89 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:29 PM

A simple solution is to keep the HTML5 module at 99$  :), and if someone had bought the YYC they can just type in that key in the upgrade or whatever text box when buying and let the website do the calculus for the discount (making the modules at old price)

Edited by Shadowrend, 12 October 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#90 rubenjavier

rubenjavier

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

<sarcasm>

</sarcasm>

Not only is that "example" completely different than the situation YYC people are facing, but you make yourself look ignorant by making it.

These people are worried that, should they choose to buy modules after November 6th that they will be charged AGAIN for something they have already purchased.

They already own the YYC, and they don't want to be faced will additional module charges for something they were told they would get already since they have a whole YYC module license.

Thanks again LukanSpellweaver, and Nocturne too, who's going to lend us a hand now that this potental issue is known

#91 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

<sarcasm>

</sarcasm>

Actually, I've been thinking about this... 

if you bought the Android module and the YYC before, then all you got were the Android module and the Android YYC module. You didn't get it for iOS (and it wasn't available for windows phone) unless you then later purchased the iOS module So, to get it for iOS, you'll still have to buy the iOS module, and THAT hasn't changed, all that's happened is that the module price has gone up. And prices go up (and down) all the time, so what difference does it make? 

This means that noone is paying for anything twice. If you happened to have iOS and Android and then bought the YYC, then yes, you'd get it for both platforms... but that hasn't changed really as if you buy Android and iOS now, you'd still get the YYC for both platforms.

So, as far as I'm concerned OF COURSE you will have to pay the new prices even if you previously bought the YYC, since you didn't actually get any extra target modules when you bought the old YYC module. You only had the YYC for those targets that you had bought for which it was previously available, and that hasn't changed. The module prices have gone up? Yes, they have, and if you want another module you'll just have to pay the new price for it regardless of what you bought before, which seems reasonable to me, since y'know, prices DO go up...

Look at it this way, all the modules have gone up by $100 REGARDLESS of whether they have the YYC or not. This had to happen sometime, especially since YYG (unlike most of their serious competition) don't take a percentage of sales from your games later or ask for splash screens to be added to your games etc... so it was dirt cheap! Now, it's gone up, but it's still cheaper and more accessible to use to make and sell professional quality games than it's competition. On top of that new users get the YYC bundled with their target module.

I guess you could say that I still fail to see what the issue here is then... The price has gone up, but noone who already bought anything has LOST anything at all, as far as I can see, nor are they paying for anything they already own.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#92 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

But, if you bought the YYC first, then bought a new module, you got the YYC for that module free.

Now those people who paid the $300 for the YYC aren't going to get the YYC free with modules they buy afterward?

I understand your point, it just seems a bit iffy.

I don't own any YYC modules, so I am perfectly happy with the changes, and the fact YoYo are offering this grace period pricing before the change.

I was just here to help explain the YYC  owners point of view.

I guess you are right, they didn't get those "free" as they did still have to purchase the module. Hmmm, not felling the YYC side of the argument as much now, except for the "I paid $300 dollars for something that is going to be standard" part...

tl;dr I kind of agree with Nocturne here.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 12 October 2014 - 04:24 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#93 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:58 PM

<sarcasm>

</sarcasm>

Actually, I've been thinking about this... 

if you bought the Android module and the YYC before, then all you got were the Android module and the Android YYC module. You didn't get it for iOS (and it wasn't available for windows phone) unless you then later purchased the iOS module So, to get it for iOS, you'll still have to buy the iOS module, and THAT hasn't changed, all that's happened is that the module price has gone up. And prices go up (and down) all the time, so what difference does it make? 

This means that noone is paying for anything twice. If you happened to have iOS and Android and then bought the YYC, then yes, you'd get it for both platforms... but that hasn't changed really as if you buy Android and iOS now, you'd still get the YYC for both platforms.

So, as far as I'm concerned OF COURSE you will have to pay the new prices even if you previously bought the YYC, since you didn't actually get any extra target modules when you bought the old YYC module. You only had the YYC for those targets that you had bought for which it was previously available, and that hasn't changed. The module prices have gone up? Yes, they have, and if you want another module you'll just have to pay the new price for it regardless of what you bought before, which seems reasonable to me, since y'know, prices DO go up...

Look at it this way, all the modules have gone up by $100 REGARDLESS of whether they have the YYC or not. This had to happen sometime, especially since YYG (unlike most of their serious competition) don't take a percentage of sales from your games later or ask for splash screens to be added to your games etc... so it was dirt cheap! Now, it's gone up, but it's still cheaper and more accessible to use to make and sell professional quality games than it's competition. On top of that new users get the YYC bundled with their target module.

I guess you could say that I still fail to see what the issue here is then... The price has gone up, but noone who already bought anything has LOST anything at all, as far as I can see, nor are they paying for anything they already own.

They spent $300 on the YYC under the impression that they would get the YYC with each additional module purchase. You can't justify the price increase of the module for them because the price hike is directly caused by the addition of the YYC which they already paid for.

Furthermore not all of the modules prices are being increased as you state in your post. HTML5 is the only non YYC compatible module with a price hike. Ubuntu and OSX aren't increasing.

My concern about this whole thing is with the GameMaker: Player. Why would we want to give/sell our customers a potentially less capable version of our games through the GameMaker: Player when we now all have the tool to give them a much better play experience?

Edited by grimdayz, 12 October 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#94 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

allowing projects to run up to 100x faster across all native platforms supported. This upgrade unlocks new possibilities in CPU-intensive areas such as artificial intelligence, procedural techniques, real time lighting, enhanced physics, real time geometry deformation, collision and data manipulation, immensely raising the quality bar of GameMaker: Studio games.

Small print: the speed boost brings new possibilities within reach. But if your game sucks now, the compiler will just make it suck about 100 times faster.

#95 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:51 PM

allowing projects to run up to 100x faster across all native platforms supported. This upgrade unlocks new possibilities in CPU-intensive areas such as artificial intelligence, procedural techniques, real time lighting, enhanced physics, real time geometry deformation, collision and data manipulation, immensely raising the quality bar of GameMaker: Studio games.

Small print: the speed boost brings new possibilities within reach. But if your game sucks now, the compiler will just make it suck about 100 times faster.

If this is a response to me my point was exactly this: why would we want to give/sell our customers a slower version regardless of whether or not it sucks?

#96 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

If this is a response to me

It wasn't.

#97 Firestorm457

Firestorm457

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

So buying the YYC as a module for GameMaker Studio was false advertising at this point it sounds. No where did it say after buying this I would need to buy it again for each additional module I choose to purchase that supports the YYC at a later date. So just to be clear YoYo Games is wanting to end my purchase of the YYC Module for GameMaker and require me to purchase it again with each additional export module I decide to get in the future?

#98 rubenjavier

rubenjavier

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:40 PM

They spent $300 on the YYC under the impression that they would get the YYC with each additional module purchase. You can't justify the price increase of the module for them because the price hike is directly caused by the addition of the YYC which they already paid for.

Furthermore not all of the modules prices are being increased as you state in your post. HTML5 is the only non YYC compatible module with a price hike. Ubuntu and OSX aren't increasing.

My concern about this whole thing is with the GameMaker: Player. Why would we want to give/sell our customers a potentially less capable version of our games through the GameMaker: Player when we now all have the tool to give them a much better play experience?

grimdayz still get our point...

you cant justify the price increase for customers that already paid for the YYC, since the statement from YYG is that the prices are increasing because of the adition of the YYC on each export, and we already paid for this YYC previously.

YYG statement literaly says:
"In accordance with these changes, effective November 6th the price of the Export Modules will be increased"

I agree that they are doing something good for the owners of the export modules, even if they did not pay for  the YYC, but as of now, without official word, they are leaving the actual customers who did pay for the YYC out in the cold, and it doesn't seem right.

#99 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:35 PM

I just bought the YYC. I only ever plan on buying the Mac module, but I won't have money for it till December, since I just threw $300 into YoyoGame's wallet.

Now, the YYC is packaged in with the Mac OS module. As a direct result of this, (which GameDevDan just said a few pages ago) I now have to pay an extra hundred dollars for the Mac OS module x YYC bundle.

I'm paying an extra hundred dollars for the YYC, which I already paid three hundred dollars for literally a week ago. I'm feeling double screwed right now.*

I know you're working for YYG, Nocturne, but being purposefully obtuse doesn't suit you. You're not a good enough actor to convince us all you're that oblivious. =P

*I didn't actually purchase the YYC, nor do I care about developing for anything but the Windows platform. Even though I understand the plight of the poor souls who paid $300 for something that has just been made totally useless, I feel exactly zero empathy for them, instead taking impish delight in the fact that I'll be getting it for free. Sorry for playing devil's advocate, Nocturne. I understand it's part of your job to keep an angry mob from forming here. I'm just really bored right now. Also, really procrastinating from working on my game. :'D

...Seriously, though. I can see why some people are mad. Hopefully YYG does something for the people who bought the YYC. At least for the people who bought it recently.

Edited by HopelessComposer, 12 October 2014 - 11:48 PM.

#100 gadgetmawombo

gadgetmawombo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 330 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:00 AM

Man, I feel like I got the deal of the century by buying the master collection from the get go. Im soooo glad I got the compiler included...the promise of a speed boost probably would have pushed me into buying it and then well, this woulda happened after. My sympathies to people who JUST bought the compiler only to hear this shortly after. Nothing against the staff here but I can safely say id be blowing steam out my ears right now if I payed full price for the compiler.

Merv%20combo_zpsklyiqgwb.gif

39134.png