318 replies to this topic

#1 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:49 PM

Today, October 10 2014, YoYo Games announces that most of the GameMaker: Studio Export Modules will now include their YYC version too.

With this upgrade, developers will now be able to harness the full speed of the CPU, allowing projects to run up to 100x faster across all native platforms supported. This upgrade unlocks new possibilities in CPU-intensive areas such as artificial intelligence, procedural techniques, real time lighting, enhanced physics, real time geometry deformation, collision and data manipulation, immensely raising the quality bar of GameMaker: Studio games.

As a result, the YoYo Compiler (YYC) will be discontinued and each Export Module will now include the compiler as standard. This will allow developers to create the best and most optimised games possible.

In accordance with these changes, effective November 6th the price of the Export Modules will be increased, however existing customers, including those who purchase before the price change will receive the Compiler upgrade free of charge.

To accompany these changes and help developers get access to the full suite of powerful Export Modules, the price of GameMaker: Studio Professional will be reduced to $49 for a limited period of time.

The price of Master Collection that includes GameMaker: Studio Professional and all Export Modules is unchanged for now at $799. This represents a saving of up to 66% compared to the sum of its components.

For full details of the new product line up please visit the GameMaker: Studio Prices Page.

See the original news post here: https://www.yoyogames.com/news/240

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#2 Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn

Valar Morghulis

• GMC Member
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

Why is the HTML5 module's price being increased? It didn't use YYC.

oldGMCsig1.png oldGMCsig2.png oldGMCsig3.png oldGMCsig4.png oldGMCsig5.png

#3 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

I noticed a bump in the HTML5 export's price, to $200. Why? Are YoYo improving it as well?

I only ask because it doesn't have a YYC module, so increasing it's price would be silly unless it is also getting improved.

Otherwise I am entirely happy with this, I had a feeling they were going to wait until Studio 2 to do this, so it's a nice surprise! :D

Also, do we have to wait for the pricing changes for this to take effect, or will this update be included when the Player and 1.4 launch later this month?

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 10 October 2014 - 05:11 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#4 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:29 PM

Welp, my game takes 20 minutes to compile with YYC (runs much faster, though), so hopefully there will be an option for this, or that the debug mode runs without YYC as it does today.

#5 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hmm. Not sure if I like this change.. Every individual piece is starting to cost too much, I'd prefer the YYC to stay as an individual purchase.

Also, technically, the $299 YYC is now spread out to a total cost of $400

But what catches my eye is:

The price of Master Collection that includes GameMaker: Studio Professional and all Export Modules is unchanged for now at $799. This represents a saving of up to 66% compared to the sum of its components.

I really hope YYG is not planning on increasing the master collection price even further.  I would hate to see Gamemaker turn into something only a professional development company can afford (it's already on the edge...).

Spoiler

Edited by Pandaboy, 10 October 2014 - 07:14 PM.

~ Pause systems for your games ~

EasyPauseIcon.png                   icon_medium.png

#6 DeepSpaceExile

DeepSpaceExile

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

I just hope now when 2.0 comes out they give discounts or free modules to those who have already paid for them in 1.x esp if someone has the master collection as it used to say free upgrades now it says free upgrades for 1.x 

I take it this also means that windows games will now be done with yyc at no charge?

#7 Braffolk

Braffolk

Lumenus Team

• GMC Member
  • 1010 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

Woah! Exciting news! I'm really looking forward to this.

xOVkpik.png

Custom sprite framework(GML): http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=669935

My main project ^o^ 2Volution GMC | GameJolt

#8 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

I just hope now when 2.0 comes out they give discounts or free modules to those who have already paid for them in 1.x esp if someone has the master collection as it used to say free upgrades now it says free upgrades for 1.x 

I take it this also means that windows games will now be done with yyc at no charge?

It has said free upgrade for 1.x as long as I can remember. Like, since Studio came out.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#9 Annoyed Grunt

Annoyed Grunt

Right behind you.

• GMC Member
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

Aaaaaaaaand the idea of getting a module for my birthday next year goes out of the window.

At least this is going to help the professionals.

Every time somebody uses the term "Roguelike" improperly I cry.

Spoiler

#10 iSeiren

iSeiren

www.worrall.pw

• GMC Member
  • 633 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:30 PM

I sure hope Steam users get this feature too...

Professional Mobile app Developer

#11 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

Coolies

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#12 oldschool_wolf

oldschool_wolf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:37 PM

I have Android and html5 modules.

Will there be a new product key for the free YYC? If so is it automatically emailed to me? Will I actually have to do anything or will Game Maker simply update itself?

6756160_orig.png

#13 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:42 PM

Don't change the price of the HTML5 module!

#14 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:51 PM

I have Android and html5 modules.

Will there be a new product key for the free YYC? If so is it automatically emailed to me? Will I actually have to do anything or will Game Maker simply update itself?

You won't need a key, the update will automatically include this "new" compiler as the default from my understanding.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#15 Kasai_Shi

Kasai_Shi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

Aaaaaaaaand the idea of getting a module for my birthday next year goes out of the window.

At least this is going to help the professionals.

Same for me, and my birthday was only two weeks away. ;-;

Oh well, I'm getting a free YYC export, I got something at least. :D

#16 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:39 PM

Will standard users get the windows yyc or is there a minimum purchase of pro required?

#17 zendorf

zendorf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Sounds like a good move to me! I only have the Pro version with the Android module. Does this mean that I now get what was previously the YYC for my Windows and Mac exports as well? This is not explicitly mentioned on the site, since for Android it states "Android compiler and export" but for Windows it does not mention the compiler....an oversight perhaps?

Jellyfish Supercharge currently in development at Fracteed

#18 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:49 PM

From what I have gathered, this change is ENGINE wide. Meaning, if you have GameMaker you will have the YYC.

They are discontinuing the YYC modules as they have been made into the standard exports now.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#19 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:21 PM

Welp, my game takes 20 minutes to compile with YYC (runs much faster, though), so hopefully there will be an option for this, or that the debug mode runs without YYC as it does today.

I agree with this. Test playing already takes like 20-30 times longer than doing it in fully interpreted GM8, and it'd sure be nice to be able to test every minor change you make without having to make a sandwhich/take a bath in order to pass the time. :P

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#20 Firestorm457

Firestorm457

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:36 PM

So what happens with everyone who purchased the YYC separately?  This really makes me reconsider purchasing anything from YOYO Games in the future.  This is something I saved up for recently and paid a large amount of money for apparently for no reason.

#21 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:41 PM

So what happens with everyone who purchased the YYC separately?  This really makes me reconsider purchasing anything from YOYO Games in the future.  This is something I saved up for recently and paid a large amount of money for apparently for no reason.

You got all of the YYC exports for much cheaper than they are going to be.

After the change almost all of the exports are adding 100 Dollars to their prices, you got ALL YYC exports(if you owned all Exports or if you bought more after YYC purchase) for 300 dollars.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#22 r1ck14

r1ck14

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:34 AM

Hey, let's not forget that there is a completely free version of GMS available to anyone who wants to start making games independently and who doesn't have a lot of money to invest in software. So far, for me, GMS has paid for itself (literally, I don't buy anything for my *cough* company *cough* unless that money was earned through game development). If said developer decides to become serious, the fact that they can buy modules for their target platforms for a price much lower than most professional level software is great.

The standard version of GMS is pretty powerful as it is...

#23 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:00 AM

You got all of the YYC exports for much cheaper than they are going to be.

After the change almost all of the exports are adding 100 Dollars to their prices, you got ALL YYC exports(if you owned all Exports or if you bought more after YYC purchase) for 300 dollars.

err.. I don't see the logic in what you're saying. What does buying the compiler for 300 dollars have to do with getting all the export modules? 

Also, if YYG just fixes the price of the HTML5 module (which from what I understand do not use the YYC), then the total price increase of the export modules would be the same as the current price of the YYC.

If they then would give a $100 discount on those export modules to those who previously has bought the compiler, that would cancel out any loses for those people.

Edited by Pandaboy, 11 October 2014 - 02:19 AM.

~ Pause systems for your games ~

EasyPauseIcon.png                   icon_medium.png

#24 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:00 AM

I knew this was going to happen ever since the announcement of the YYC Compiler price point. I imagine that it wasn't selling very well for YoYo Games. It is hard to justify the high cost the compiler launched with for the speed increase. Yes, it really helped making games faster, but it is still a little buggy, not available for all of platforms (where is Mac YYC...?), and made compiling games slower.

I don't really get why people are saying the HTML5 module is $200, it still says $99 on the web site. Did I miss something?

Edit: I see it now. Surely it is a typo? Has the HTML5 module really improved so much to warrant a $100 increase in price? I wouldn't know since I don't use it so I'm not sure.

Wait, the console exports cost money now? I thought they were free for all Professional users if they sign up as a developer...? Is Sony not paying for this anymore?

I gotta say... I am so glad I bought the Master Collection during the upgrade period. GameMaker is soon going to be completely out of reach if it isn't already for most people who want to do anything except on the Windows platform.

Edited by Mr. RPG, 11 October 2014 - 04:13 AM.

#25 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:08 AM

I knew this was going to happen ever since the announcement of the YYC Compiler price point. I imagine that it wasn't selling very well for YoYo Games. It is hard to justify the high cost the compiler launched with for the speed increase. Yes, it really helped making games faster, but it is still a little buggy, not available for all of platforms (where is Mac YYC...?), and made compiling games slower.

I don't really get why people are saying the HTML5 module is $200, it still says $99 on the web site. Did I miss something?

Spoiler

#26 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:51 AM

It is in Yoyo's interest to go compiled and possibly remove the interpreted output. You just about reduce the amount of things you have to support by half and your product shines from the game executing more efficiently. The less ppl out there download game maker games that run poorly the better it is for the company.

#27 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:50 AM

Why can't YYG put up the price of the HTML5 module? Why do they have to have "improved" it? They have btw, in a thousand little ways since it was originally created for GM:Html5... I mean, a company can put the price they want on their products if they think that people will  pay for it (how about $45,000 for a cable, for example) . Maybe they have been under pricing it for the last year and are now taking the opportunity to fix it? Maybe it's actually worth a WHOLE LOT MORE than the new $200 (imho, it is as it enables you to publish for mobile without the modules and can provide an excellent income, just ask True Valhalla) so you are still getting a bargain?

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#28 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

Why can't YYG put up the price of the HTML5 module?

They can do whatever they want with the price. It's just lulzy when they say "The price of all modules have increased, because they all compile now," and then go ahead and sneak in a price raise for the modules that don't, as well.

I'm not really looking forward to having my games compiled, actually. From what I hear, the YYC is buggy, and takes longer to compile than the runner takes to...."compile." My game already takes a long time to start up as it is, and it runs buttery smooth, even on ****ty computers from five years ago. Hopefully we don't have to compile our games. At least not till GMS 2.0, when they hopefully get the compiler working better.

Yep. This is almost definitely a case of "welp, this isn't selling. Let's put it in the box with something else, and charge people for it anyway, lol." A smart, reasonable decision, but I feel bad for the people who bought the compiler seperately.

Not that it matters for me. I'm eagerly waiting to buy GMS2.0 anyway, hahah.

Edited by HopelessComposer, 11 October 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#29 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:23 AM

Sorry but it seems like the same old 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' scenario.

YYG are effectively throwing $300 at us for free and we still complain? And I am the confused crazy guy on the forums here.

#30 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:32 AM

Sorry but it seems like the same old 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' scenario.

YYG are effectively throwing $300 at us for free and we still complain? And I am the confused crazy guy on the forums here.

I'm not seeing where you're getting a $300 value for free. What I see is yoyo giving us the option of buying yyc on a per export basis instead of one flat fee while simultaneously forcing us to buy yyc with each export.

While I do like the ability to buy yyc per export as I don't give a rat's hairy hide about any of apple's products or its users I would also like the option of *not* purchasing it at all.

Edited by grimdayz, 12 October 2014 - 11:29 PM.

#31 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:40 AM

Sorry grimdayz, I meant mainly from the point of view from Windows based games (and Mac OSX for those who got Pro when it was free).

For example, for my $99 just over a year ago I now effectively have GM:S Pro, Windows, Windows 8, OSX, & YYC. (Tizen got stripped along the way somehow - that's probably a feature in itself ;) )

Overall, not bad I say ;)

#32 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

Sorry grimdayz, I meant mainly from the point of view from Windows based games (and Mac OSX for those who got Pro when it was free).

For example, for my $99 just over a year ago I now effectively have GM:S Pro, Windows, Windows 8, OSX, & YYC. (Tizen got stripped along the way somehow - that's probably a feature in itself ;) )

Yeah I can agree with that. I have all of those as well including Tizen and I only paid $25. Free standard upgrade plus $25 upgrade to Pro.

#33 zerohero

zerohero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

When will this take effect?

#34 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

"In accordance with these changes, effective November 6th the price of the Export Modules will be increased..."

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#35 Janette5

Janette5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:42 AM

I understand that the GML has evolved so much over the years its pricing probably didn't keep up and the price-restructuring would be fair. But I am concerned about the direction that GML is moving into. I would like to see an official post or announcement on the status of GML and the way forward. Who is your target market? Where do you see yourself positioned in the market?

I ask because I came to GML because it did so much for me in the background, like pause, screen resizing etc. that I could concentrate on the game itself. Now with every release we receive less things GML does automatically and more things we have to understand and programme and handle ourselves. Although I love that I can potentially programme anything with GML I find trying to keep up increasingly a challege. I therefore have to decide to continue with his langauge or look for a language that was “easy” for those of us who didn't officially study programming. So where are you headed?  

#36 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

"In accordance with these changes, effective November 6th the price of the Export Modules will be increased..."

That means the pricing changes take effect November 6th, I would think this would be part of the 1.4 release with the GM: Player.

The best part about that is, the second half of October is nearly here!

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 11 October 2014 - 04:16 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#37 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

Exactly. This bumps us all to a higher level for the product at no cost whatsoever. Mind you I am fortunate enough to have the android module already.

#38 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

One of the things that YYGs has done for every price increase going back to GM 7.0 has been to give advanced notice.

This is a tremendous goodwill measure that allows potential purchasers to take advantage of existing prices and avoid the increase. One would think that this in and of itself would dampen the criticism. This advanced notice is completely unprecedented in a lot of industry including a lot of Software vendors.

If you think the price increases are unjustified, you've got ample time to purchase now.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#39 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:54 PM

These price increases also give a view into how Studio 2.0 may be priced.

I had a feeling they were going to go all YYC for Studio 2, leading to module price increases.

This is pure speculation of course, but you can;t really expect GM: s 2 to have CHEAPER module prices, if it even has modules at all!

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#40 matheus.reis

matheus.reis

Insane!

• GMC Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

The only con I see is that YYC takes too long to compile. Also, the game doesn't crash when you, for example, mistype a variable (using a non-defined one). Other than that, great news.

Edited by matheus.reis, 11 October 2014 - 03:12 PM.

E5jHbWP.png

icon_psx.gif
:( WHY HAVE I SOLD YOU?!? :(

#41 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

The only con I see is that YYC takes too long to compile. Also, the game doesn't crash when you, for example, mistype a variable (using a non-defined one). Other than that, great news.

You don't use the YYC every build.

You use the Interpretor for development, with YYC compatibility testing every once in a while, and then for the final release build.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#42 matheus.reis

matheus.reis

Insane!

• GMC Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

Yeah, but how to do that when there's only YYC? :P

E5jHbWP.png

icon_psx.gif

#43 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

Yeah, but how to do that when there's only YYC? :P

Who said there would only be the YYC?

#44 matheus.reis

matheus.reis

Insane!

• GMC Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:44 PM

Oh, I thought there wouldn't be "regular" compilers anymore. So no cons imo. :)

Edited by matheus.reis, 11 October 2014 - 03:46 PM.

E5jHbWP.png

icon_psx.gif

#45 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

When Exporting games They will always be compiled, but testing will still use the VM.

This is how they handle YYC exports now, and it is stated that it is done this way for development's sake.

I don't see them changing this, having to fully compile for every debug would be kind of a pain in the ass.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#46 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

Who said that exporting games will always use YYC? I don't see a single mention of that anywhere on the article, so I'm bound to assume that it's still the same "test with VM or YYC, export with VM or YYC, debug with VM only" principle.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#47 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

Ok I must be dumb to not quite be understanding whats happening, maybe its because I'm still with my lovely 8.1 haha

I do plan on getting Studio soon to have access to all those ports since I am a serious developer but reading through this thread and hearing talk about Studio 2.0 what do you guys think I should do? From the memo it sounds like I should be buying Pro right now for the limited time price of $49 then I'll get the upgrades come Nov 6th but when I look on the purchase page its still listed as $99?

EDIT: Nevermind about the price, its not listed on the main buying page until you click "purchase pro" but my question remains, you guys probably recommend strongly I buy Studio Pro now instead of wait for 2.0?

I understand that the GML has evolved so much over the years its pricing probably didn't keep up and the price-restructuring would be fair. But I am concerned about the direction that GML is moving into. I would like to see an official post or announcement on the status of GML and the way forward. Who is your target market? Where do you see yourself positioned in the market?

I ask because I came to GML because it did so much for me in the background, like pause, screen resizing etc. that I could concentrate on the game itself. Now with every release we receive less things GML does automatically and more things we have to understand and programme and handle ourselves. Although I love that I can potentially programme anything with GML I find trying to keep up increasingly a challege. I therefore have to decide to continue with his langauge or look for a language that was “easy” for those of us who didn't officially study programming. So where are you headed?  

Personally I would love nothing more to have yoyogames remove almost all of its automatic functions (hspeed, gravity, alarms etc) or at the very least allow us to disable those. I hate using premade variables and make them all myself. It gives me much more control over my game

Edited by kupo15, 11 October 2014 - 04:07 PM.

** LIKE us on Facebook!** Follow us on Twitter!

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#48 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

Who said that exporting games will always use YYC? I don't see a single mention of that anywhere on the article, so I'm bound to assume that it's still the same "test with VM or YYC, export with VM or YYC, debug with VM only" principle.

Yes, I would expect that users would have the option of exporting either the compiled or un-compiled version.   Dan's language implies that module owners will have two versions:

(snip)Studio Export Modules will now include their YYC version too.

That language implies a second version (with compiler) will be available along with the regular version. But I guess that should be made more clear.

#49 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

Good point, I guess since the YYC modules are being discontinued I assumed that meant the current VM option was being removed.

I kind of hope they keep both actually. I have difficulty getting the YYC to work, so I would hope VM export does stay.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#50 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

my question remains, you guys probably recommend strongly I buy Studio Pro now instead of wait for 2.0?

Depends... do you want GM:S now or not? If you want it now (or as soon as possible), you should probably go with Studio 1.x. YoYo devs have previously stated that they are aiming for a Studio 2.0 beta release this year - now, this means two things: There's no guarantee that this will happen and even if it does, it will only be a beta - therefore it could still be months or years away from a full release.

Good point, I guess since the YYC modules are being discontinued I assumed that meant the current VM option was being removed.

I kind of hope they keep both actually. I have difficulty getting the YYC to work, so I would hope VM export does stay.

They have to keep both, there's nothing to discuss about that. The debugger doesn't work with YYC exports, so removing the VM export would remove the ability to debug... plus, GM:Player is not compatible with YYC, and the only platforms it supports happen to be the ones with a YYC export. So if the VM export was to be removed... nobody would be able to use GM:Player. That would kind of defeat its purpose, wouldn't it? ;)

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png