Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:22 PM

The Chernobyl Mine

10fyick.jpg

< THE GAME HAS BEEN CANCELLED> You may still play it, but there will be no more updates to this game!

The finished game will feature a puzzle in a 3D environment, which the player must solve to win. Although "escape" is probably a better word.

You're a miner, working off of the Ukrainian city of Chernobyl. The entire area is known to be intoxicated with nuclear waste, and is supremely dangerous, but the radiation has indeed affected certain minerals under the earth causing a massive growth of precious crystals such as diamond and onyx. This growth spurt is also the cause for frequent cave ins, as the rock tears through any man-made tunnels that are built. The radiation has been affecting something else too...

During another day at work, worst comes to worst, and a cave in begins around an area occupied my miners. No-one survives except one young Russian miner: "Anton". The cave in has blocked the only main route out of the mines, so he has to find another way. This is where the game begins. You first wander along countless corridors and tunnels in hope to find day light. Along your way, you find a mining elevator that leads to the surface, however, the inevitable - it's not working. It requires a flowing circuit of electricity, sourced from a pump room that you find in the vicinity. Unfortunately, you're a miner, not an electrician, so you decide to find a manual to work the circuitry.

The mine is a mess, due to panic during the cave in and the last pages of the manual are scattered around the place. You've got to find the pages, turn on the electricity and get out. But wait. What's that behind you?

Introductory Sequence

The above is an idea of what the final game will feature. The introductory sequence is the part from where you wake up after being struck by falling debris, and where you find the section with the elevator and pump room. This is what I'm presenting to you now. Give it a gander and tell me what you think.

Would be great if you gave feedback on these points:

• changes from prior version (if you tried it)
  • ambiance and sound effects
  • lighting
  • whether you were scared / nervous
  • graphics
  • the feel of the game
  • user friendliness / easy interaction

Here's some in-game screenshots:

fekihk.jpg

2cxx53q.jpg

Genre: First-Person Adventure / Horror

Filesize: 55.1 Mb

Resolution in-game: No change, 16-bit

Download links:

YoYo Sandbox

Game Jolt

Thanks for reading, please try it!

-Glock18

Edited by Glock18, 24 May 2015 - 06:18 AM.

22l20z.jpg

The Chernobyl Mine - Found on My Website

#2 Bodo

Bodo

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 12 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:32 AM

The ancient message page and the strange healthbar adds a glory to the game. I am hoping for you to improve the character a bit, though. :)

#3 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:11 AM

Thank you man. Btw, it's not a healthbar, it's a glowstick LOL. Why do you think everything is a shade of green?

How do you think I could improve it mate? You think the animation looks to stiff? Or the actual model?

Cheers for your comment!

22l20z.jpg

#4 aamatniekss

aamatniekss

The Caveman

• GMC Member
  • 486 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

I freaking love the old school graphics! Although you could up the resolution just a tiny bit to make the letters easier to read, but still try to keep the old school pixelated 3D. The engine was running really good and smooth. Also the creeps animation was pretty cool. :) 

Oh and btw if you want the game to be based in Russia, then you seriously need to change the title of the game, because Chernobyl is in Ukraine.

There was a Caveman - Out on Steam!     Bacon Rebellion - Greenlit on Steam!
           ThiYB99.gif                                 1ZHNWVC.gif
                                                  Twitter - @Namatnieks

#5 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

I would try to do that, but the only option is to double the resolution (you can't choose any value you like), and then it'll loose the old-school feel. I'll make the text bigger perhaps! Thank you for your comment, and I'm glad you like the animation.

And thanks for correcting me with the title, I'll change the setting to Ukraine :P The monster is supposed to be related to the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl.

Edited by Glock18, 10 October 2014 - 03:01 PM.

22l20z.jpg

#6 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

Here is my super-helpful review:

1. Chernobyl is a AREA in Ukraine. Ukraine != Russia. Pripyat is the city where the nuclear plant ruptured.

2. Afaik Chernobyl does not have any mines.

3. All the humans were evacuated long before the plant ruptured.

4. The font is from Thief Deadly Shadows, not sure about copyright laws there buddy.

5. Gameplay is like Slenderman but its four notes rather then ten or whatever.

Apart from my insidious remarks, the game is fun short, not scary at all and I especially like the graphics and the bold text is basically the entire reason I wrote this post.

Cheers!

#7 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

Not everyone left. Believe it or not there were folks that refused to leave their homes.

#8 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

Here is my super-helpful review:

1. Chernobyl is a AREA in Ukraine. Ukraine != Russia. Pripyat is the city where the nuclear plant ruptured.

2. Afaik Chernobyl does not have any mines.

3. All the humans were evacuated long before the plant ruptured.

4. The font is from Thief Deadly Shadows, not sure about copyright laws there buddy.

5. Gameplay is like Slenderman but its four notes rather then ten or whatever.

Apart from my insidious remarks, the game is fun short, not scary at all and I especially like the graphics and the bold text is basically the entire reason I wrote this post.

Cheers!

1. Thank you, I figured that out! I'll change the setting to Ukraine. And honestly, I don't really think my game should be historically correct. I know there must be / used to be some mines around that area for coal, etc.

3. Maybe the miners were searching for a unique and secret stone, illegally and the only way was to enter the bio-hazard zone :o

4. Actually it's called "Papyrus" and comes with Microsoft office.

5. There'll be more to it than that. I know it's similar, but it's not going to be the same. First of all, the monster can move and physically chase you, second, capturing all notes doesn't end the game but allows you to solve a puzzle, which you must solve before making your escape. There will be other features too like glass bottles on the floor that if you accidentally break, will attract the monster towards you.

Thank you for your feedback though, I'll do some more backing research. Glad you liked the graphics!

Not everyone left. Believe it or not there were folks that refused to leave their homes.

^This

Edited by Glock18, 10 October 2014 - 04:42 PM.

22l20z.jpg

#9 Annoyed Grunt

Annoyed Grunt

Right behind you.

• GMC Member
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

snip

Then why don't you just let us do the puzzle right away? The notes seems like they're just a way to be a) unoriginal (literally every single horror game, their mother, their uncle, and their dog use notes nowadays) and b) make the player lose time without actual gameplay.

Also you didn't address point #2, eg. there are no mines in Cherno.

EDIT: also, even if there were mines in Cherno...why would there be people in them? If the game happens before the Incident, the monster is not caused by Chernobyl, and you lose the one unique thing about the game, if it happens after...it can't happen after. The only reason of existence for Cherno was the nuclear plant, after that that shut down only a few people still live there, and guess - no miners.

Edited by Annoyed Grunt, 10 October 2014 - 06:06 PM.

Every time somebody uses the term "Roguelike" improperly I cry.

Spoiler

#10 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:28 PM

Yeah I know, the notes are pretty unoriginal, but it's supposed to be like Slenderman with a twist. There will be game-play because you have to avoid a vicious monster while finding these notes. It's kind of like stealth / search, and at the same time finding the sequence to a puzzle. You then just have to use common sense and power-up the elevator to escape. Do you think the notes are valueless?

You've got a good point about no-one being around. That's where I'm thinking that these miners could be part of a government agency, or secret society that have found precious, and rare stones around the site of the accident. It's dangerous to go there, but they're paid in extremes and probably have protective clothing. I don't think it matters if there aren't any mines there in real life. This is just a game - it's fiction.

22l20z.jpg

#11 orange451

orange451

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1411 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:00 PM

Are the players legs broken? It sounds like it, when he jumps :P

Overall, great start :) I'm always a fan of 3d projects on the GMC.

I suggest that you reset the players zgravity to 0 when he collides with a ceiling. When jumping on those barrels, he "sticks" to the ceiling for a few frames.

Edited by orange451, 10 October 2014 - 07:32 PM.

bC14QqN.pngNrTFeil.png

#12 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:44 AM

Ha I guess you're right. You think I should remove the sound effects?

Okay, good idea about the zgravity. Thanks for pointing that out! And thanks for your feedback :)

22l20z.jpg

#13 cookieboy

cookieboy

Seabass (The Human)

• GMC Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:32 PM

Amazing work. Keep it up :) I loved it.

Vnc5NxB.jpg

Support a fellow GMC member? <3

http://store.steampo...com//app/357650

#14 arkon13

arkon13

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

Cool start.. Like the graphics.. Real old school and all.. :)

"Words are deceiving, actions are convincing but without the right intention, they are without meaning." - ME

#15 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:24 AM

Thank you all for your support! This really gives me motivation to keep going :)

22l20z.jpg

#16 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:19 AM

I really like the look and feel and I love the sound effects and eerie background track. Close button on the notes doesn't work for me.

Tab key opens first note before I pick it up.

Edited by grimdayz, 12 October 2014 - 05:21 AM.

#17 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

Thank you grimdayz! You couldn't close the notes? That's strange.. Works perfectly fine for me. Is your computer's screen settings, set to wide-screen or anything special? And thanks for pointing out the note issue. I've jotted it down in my bug fix text file!

22l20z.jpg

#18 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

I have a widescreen monitor. Game doesn't run in widescreen though.

Edited by grimdayz, 12 October 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#19 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

Okay guys, some updates. Got water in my map now :) The player even makes splashing sounds when walking in it. Also added some more variations in design, etc plus some bottles and other props.

xgefba.png

t8vr7k.jpg

rtdxf6.jpg

Hope you guys like what you see!

And more to come soon!

22l20z.jpg

#20 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

Suggestions:

- Make the note, readable from in-game. What I suggest doing is to zoom in the fov of the camera till the note is centered on screen. (You can make an enemy appear behind the player without noticing.)

-The sounds don't suggest a mine. A mine has a low rumble, footsteps reverb around the place, [water dripping]/[earth crumbling] on the ground. (Try to test the game and walk around with your eyes closed.

Sounds like normal outdoor to me)

- Add in the entrance with brightening effects.

- Add in more wood beam structure and a rails following the track. Make the place look unstable.

- Make certain areas collapse in a time limit.

Edited by Alvare, 15 October 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#21 Tranz3d

Tranz3d

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

Edited by Tranz3d, 18 January 2016 - 09:34 PM.

#22 token

token

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

Can't pass the first room: a monster, a note and that's all...

SignatureImage.png

#23 Sirbrownie

Sirbrownie

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

I love the look of this engine. The zombie is actually quite scary just standing in one spot lol
The controls are nice and smooth, side from hitting the roof, but you know that already.

Im psyched for the next update

#24 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

Suggestions:

- Make the note, readable from in-game. What I suggest doing is to zoom in the fov of the camera till the note is centered on screen. (You can make an enemy appear behind the player without noticing.)

-The sounds don't suggest a mine. A mine has a low rumble, footsteps reverb around the place, [water dripping]/[earth crumbling] on the ground. (Try to test the game and walk around with your eyes closed.

Sounds like normal outdoor to me)

- Add in the entrance with brightening effects.

- Add in more wood beam structure and a rails following the track. Make the place look unstable.

- Make certain areas collapse in a time limit.

I like your suggestions man, and will definitely take up on them! Thank you, this actually helps me a lot. I'll add some more beams as you said, and perhaps some diagonal supports too. I'm building this from the ground up, so I will definitely focus on detailing later on. The sounds I will modify, I didn't think about this!

@Tranz, thanks for letting me know about the notes, I'll see what I can do about it!

I love the look of this engine. The zombie is actually quite scary just standing in one spot lol
The controls are nice and smooth, side from hitting the roof, but you know that already.

Im psyched for the next update

Thank you man, I'll fix the ceiling issue indefinitely!

Btw, guys, I posted a little video showing some updates:

Edited by Glock18, 15 October 2014 - 04:32 PM.

22l20z.jpg

#25 Tranz3d

Tranz3d

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

#26 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

Thank you Tranz, I'm using Model Creator v5. In case you're wondering about the animation, I did it frame by frame and set it up manually, so it's basically like a 3D sprite. Damn it was a b*tch - but a satisfying result.

Can't pass the first room: a monster, a note and that's all...

It's just to test out the engine for now mate. Later, I will include a more "game-like" level to play around in.

22l20z.jpg

#27 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

Hey guys, check out the main post - got an update!

22l20z.jpg

#28 Tranz3d

Tranz3d

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:52 PM

#29 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:15 AM

I like the head bobbing/walking and overall smoothness of the controls.

The ambient sounds create an suspenseful environment.

I love the low res look of everything, it's just a style that I personally enjoy.

This update seems to have improvement the overall immersion into the game world.

Nicely done!

Thank you bud! I do love low res graphics too. I'm using 16-bit colour resolution, which I think looks really nice and artsy, compared to the default 32-bit.

22l20z.jpg

#30 cc89

cc89

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

I like the overall atmosphere in the game so far, very creepy. Controls work fine, and the old school graphics look great. :)

+1

Edited by cc89, 25 October 2014 - 10:50 AM.

#31 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

Thank you buddy! Glad you enjoyed :)

22l20z.jpg

#32 stashpanda

stashpanda

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

Ambient atmospheric music is awesome and the lighting engine is nice and creepy. The only thing that bugged me a little while playing was the stepping sounds; when I just tap the key the sound gets triggered which can take away from the effect of taking a step.

The zombie jump and reaction reminded me a little of Penumbra. Really excited to see where you go with this.

I write Ruby to pay the bills and GML whenever I can get a chance.

iEPI2J4.pngicon-twitter-64px.png24233.png

#33 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:24 AM

I know what you mean about the stepping. Didn't realise people would notice it so much - I will change this. Thanks for your comments though mate! I guess some of the inspiration does come from Penumbra. The monster has the same de-tached jaw like the monster in Amnesia.

I'm trying to work out whether may game is scary enough or not. Did you feel uneasiness and apprehensiveness when playing?

22l20z.jpg

#34 stashpanda

stashpanda

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:28 PM

There was a nice sense of uneasiness when I was playing the game. When I walked over the glass I felt creeped out that I might have alerted something.

I think the engine is definitely creating the effect you are going for. I'd love to see a box or object fall from a bookshelf when you enter the room with the key to build even more tension for the player.

I write Ruby to pay the bills and GML whenever I can get a chance.

iEPI2J4.pngicon-twitter-64px.png24233.png

#35 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:51 AM

Good ideas mate, I will add em to my to-do-list.

Thanks again!

22l20z.jpg

#36 Tranz3d

Tranz3d

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

#37 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

Since you were knocked out by a rock to start the adventure, having some small rocks falling here and there would tie into the story and give a since that the world isn't too secure and you need to find a way out.

Right now the mine seems very safe and secure, maybe more creaking/rumbling and debris falling could enhance sense of the instability of the mine.

You don't know if the ceiling will collapse or a monster will get you, either way, you'd want out.

Good idea, I will be using this indefinitely ;) Perhaps if the rocks happen to hit the player, they damage him too. So it's like the whole environment is hostile and out to get you.

Anyway... UPDATE !

On second thought, I haven't really got much to show you as I've been working more on the core mechanics of the main game. Here's an image of my main menu that I've been working on though (feedback on it is welcome) :

bhcb3k.jpg

If you're really interested, here's a little log of things I've added since the intro sequence:

Spoiler

Take it easy guys!

-Glock18

P.S. (NOTE)

I can't log-in to the YoYo sandbox (because it's shutting down), so future releases of this game will be available elsewhere (probably GameJolt, or I'll make my own Site).

Edited by Glock18, 28 October 2014 - 07:11 PM.

22l20z.jpg

#38 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:49 PM

bhcb3k.jpg

I like the font and the way the title isn't exactly white colored. You should do this with the other text too. It's easier on the eye and it suits the game more.

As for the background. I'd never recommend using a in-game screen shot for the menu. Also, when I mention my name on the screen, I use a small sized font. Except, if my name is mentioned in the introduction screen or something.

• got the electric pump room machine model in the game and functioning

My guess is that there are two electric pumps in the mine. One is for the lights, which already works. The other one is for the elevator. Maybe you could make the player only activate one or another.

And the player will need the glow sticks when the elevator works and when the lights are down.

#39 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

Yeah I get what you mean, I'll change the button fonts too. And make the name smaller.

Thanks for your tips, I'm gonna add them all to my to-do-list :)

Cheers!

22l20z.jpg

#40 orange451

orange451

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1411 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

Any progress on the game?

bC14QqN.pngNrTFeil.png

#41 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:34 PM

Any progress on the game?

:miner: Some layers of rock are tougher to break through while mining a game.

But we all need a time-out sometime. It's what keeps us away from abandoning the project forever, right?

#42 Lemon Flavor

Lemon Flavor

The Helpful Lemon

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:02 AM

I love the sounds of the game. I'd like a bigger resolution personally, but the game looks great. 

uGSvLzo.pnghehkJBm.pngfzhv9VN.pngNL5rC44.png

#43 hydro222

hydro222

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

Looks Good looking forward to the next update

#44 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:47 AM

Hey everyone!

I might be updating this soon. I'm a bit worked up with CS 1.6 mapping, but once that settles I'll be fine. Check in a month or so and see if anything new has popped up :)

22l20z.jpg

#45 pencpeci

pencpeci

jahrkuji

• GMC Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:44 AM

Grapichs and gameplay nice ı like it but please continue your game

#46 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

I would just like to let everyone know that I will be cancelling this project. My heart isn't in the ol' Chernobyl mine anymore. But it will grow to love another environment though. I feel another game brewing, perhaps set in a mental asylum... And this time I'm going to do a full-scale plan and make it my biggest project yet.

22l20z.jpg

#47 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak.

#48 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:24 AM

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak.

Wha... ?

22l20z.jpg

#49 SlyJakster

SlyJakster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak.

This isn't very constructive criticism... Maybe elaborate on what fell "weak" to you and what maybe you would adjust or improve on to make the game better. Your reply to this thread was "weak" and if that IS all you have to say about it, then you didn't really care enough to make a reply anyway.

On a lighter note, here is my reply:

This game has great potential. I love the theme/ old-school art style. It suites the whole horror aspect greatly. Things seem a little too pixely and makes things hard to see/ read, but to counter that, it also makes it more challenging as it makes you focus more to read and I actually found myself pannicing while reading the note because I felt I wasn't reading fast enough and something would get me. The game is currently lacking content quite obviously, but I'm sure that is to come otherwise you wouldn't be here. As for the resolution, I read up on replies and you say there isn't much you can do about it. I feel it's a smidge too close up and a little to blurry at parts. This may be due to my pc, but not entirely sure as others seem to feel the same. I tested this on an old Dell d630 laptop with 2gb RAM running Windows 7. So in regards to that, the game plays and runs great. The game as a whole at its current state is great in general.

The only real things I could recommend as of now is:

- Come up with a complete concept and story of your game and maybe make it clear to people why and how you are going about it as I've seen much frustration and confusion in earlier posts.

- Resolution/ "zoom" and maybe even adjustable look-sensitivity.

Otherwise I have a feeling this game could do some good to the horror and GMC communities and can't wait to see and play further updates.

Good luck and have fun with this project,

SlyJakster

Edited by SlyJakster, 13 May 2015 - 01:49 PM.

#50 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:31 PM

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak.

Lol I'm not used to see you making these kind of comments.  ^_^  :hmmm:

Remember, if you are going to make a comment on someone's project, at least give the creator some feedback, don't you agree?

Edited by Alvare, 13 May 2015 - 02:31 PM.