226 replies to this topic

#201 TedB

TedB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:37 PM

Oh Jeez.. I'm quite tempted to create a JavaScript script that scans the whole sandbox, and takes all games / comments etc and places them on an alternate sandbox memorial site. Worth the time?

There are very few games on there worth saving, and all of the ones worth saving can be found on alternate websites. So, no.

Edited by TedB, 22 October 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#202 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:31 PM

Soooo, hey YoYo. Halloween is coming up this Friday(four days from now). Any chance of that Player launching this Thursday? Hmmmm?

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#203 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:39 AM

Oh Jeez.. I'm quite tempted to create a JavaScript script that scans the whole sandbox, and takes all games / comments etc and places them on an alternate sandbox memorial site. Worth the time?

There are very few games on there worth saving, and all of the ones worth saving can be found on alternate websites. So, no.

Guys, I find it a bit sad that you have down-repped this member because he answered a direct question with a direct answer. You don't agree with his opinion? Fine, but either answer and explain why not, or ignore it, but to sown-rep the guy simply because he disagrees with a suggestion is poor form and damned immature-  not to mention that it's and a great way to scare off new members. Outside of off topic, reputation should only be given or removed based on the content of the post, NOT your own opinion, and in this case the content was perfectly fine as he was replying to a question in another post and his reply is appropriate to that question.

So, please use reputation responsibly and maturely on the forums and have a bit of respect for those that don't share your own opinion.

Now, lets keep this on topic and not discuss reputation... ;)

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#204 zbox

zbox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2618 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:25 AM

My opinion is that this post is unnecessary & although they aren't worth saving to you; they are most definately to others

Edited by zbox, 28 October 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#205 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

My opinion is that this post is unnecessary & although they aren't worth saving to you; they are most definately to others

Yoyogames should keep the featured ones ofcourse.

Still. I find there were quite a lot incredibly badly crafted games or bad clones with users that had long abandoned their profile.

Edited by Alvare, 28 October 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#206 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:47 PM

Yoyogames should keep the featured ones ofcourse.

Still. I find there were quite a lot incredibly badly crafted games or bad clones with users that had long abandoned their profile.

Still. I find there were quite a lot incredibly bad crafting games or horrible clones with users that had long abandoned their profile.

I fixed the sentence for ya. :)

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 28 October 2014 - 08:42 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#207 Yambam

Yambam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 647 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

I'm a bit worried. When is the sandbox going to shutdown?

#208 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:29 PM

It already is shutdown.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#209 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:42 PM

It already is shutdown.

Do you mean that it's in the same state it has been in, or has YoYo actually commenced the removal of the sandbox?

Also, where's that Player at? Mike? Russell? Sandy? Other YoYo employees?

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#210 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:24 PM

Do you mean that it's in the same state it has been in, or has YoYo actually commenced the removal of the sandbox?

Last time I checked, it was gone, only the google cached copy remained.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Spoiler

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#211 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:32 PM

When I go to the sandbox site, I'm getting the actual site, no google cache stuff.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#212 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

No, it's there, and working, just unbelievably slow
Edit: Wait... I can't login... WTH IS GOING ON!!!
Edit2: REGISTER ISN'T WORKING EITHER!!!!
Edit3: Could it be possible that they're backing everything up?

Edited by faissialoo, 28 October 2014 - 10:17 PM.

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF

#213 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:22 PM

When I go to the sandbox site, I'm getting the actual site, no google cache stuff.

What the... it's back...? Weeeeeird. Maybe it was just a temporary problem.

Or maybe they figured the public outcry *looks over shoulder* was not in their favor. (NPT crushes it pretty good, so I don't think it's that worrisome)

Spoiler

#214 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:54 PM

<Snip>

<Snipe>

The sandbox doesnt support www (which is automaticly entered by most browsers unless you typed http://)

None of the browsers I have ever used have done this. They just go to the address I type without altering it.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 28 October 2014 - 10:54 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#215 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:08 PM

The sandbox doesnt support www (which is automaticly entered by most browsers unless you typed http://)

I'm aware of this - my browser always tries to go to www.gmc.yoyogames.com instead of gmc.yoyogames.com if I type it out. I made it a bookmark bar bookmark to keep sane. I checked the address multiple times (and tried both options) before resorting to google's cached copy.

Spoiler

#216 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:24 AM

I'm aware of this - my browser always tries to go to www.gmc.yoyogames.com instead of gmc.yoyogames.com if I type it out. I made it a bookmark bar bookmark to keep sane. I checked the address multiple times (and tried both options) before resorting to google's cached copy.

Sounds like your browser is configured for Domain Guessing. Turn it off.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#217 Nips4Sale

Nips4Sale

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

I can't speak for anyone else, but the sandbox was a big part of my Game Maker experience. I've got games on my account there that date back to GM5/6 and even one going back to GM2.

Although I understand the need for the changeover, and I HAVE downloaded all of my projects from the site, do you not think it'd be kind to send out some kind of notification to the users from the sandbox, explaining that it is being shut down?

GM: Studio is heading up in the world, and that's all good and well, but does this completely spell the end for any user NOT using studio? (I, myself, am using Studio, but the old GM7-8 games are a big part of the GM experience.)

I broke into the GM community...eight, maybe even nine years ago, and if it had been the way it is now, I would have left around the same time.

Don't get me wrong, I love the updates and all, but the older GM games had a certain....flare to them. Take games like "Crimelife 2/3" and "A Day In The Life Of Bob." Sure, they look like they were made in DOS days, but they are good games.

It's like YoYoGames is trying to cover up it's dark past...with big, flashing "HTML", "iOS", "WINDOWS PHONE" and "MAC OSX" signs. It pains me to see the company that got me into programming destroying the products they created.

Sure, legacy versions aren't as good as GM: Studio, but that's no reason to kill them off this way. They got you to where you are today, and you've just turned around and stabbed them in the back.

And you don't even have the courtesy to send out an email or two saying "grab your old work now before it's destroyed forever."

</rant>

This does, however look like a nice upgrade for us GM: Studio users, so I'm at war with myself here.

#218 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

Guys, as for places you can upload your games, there's GameJolt, as well as your own websites (or dropbox, and I think itch.io, and newgrounds, and indiedb, and steam if your game is that good).  You can put all of your pre-GMS games on those places.  Or, you can take your GM not S stuff and import it into GMS.

#219 Nips4Sale

Nips4Sale

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:35 PM

Guys, as for places you can upload your games, there's GameJolt, as well as your own websites (or dropbox, and I think itch.io, and newgrounds, and indiedb, and steam if your game is that good).  You can put all of your pre-GMS games on those places.  Or, you can take your GM not S stuff and import it into GMS.

And then upload 2 games until you hit the lowass limit and have to pay to upload... wait for it... a whole 3 more games!

As previously stated, it is likely that these limits will be heavily altered, and possibly even lifted.

My complaint here isn't that there is nowhere to put our GM legacy games anymore, it's that YYG are killing off their support for these versions ENTIRELY. The sandbox is pretty much the only living part of GM Legacy history, and they don't even have to courtesy to send out email notifications.

Game Maker (Legacy and even current versions) is a huge part of my life. And the sandbox, at least for me, was the start of my adventures here. Killing that off is like selling someone limitless banana bread for 8 years, switching to selling them 2 slices of normal bread, and claiming "It's the same thing, just updated."

Until I get notification that GM legacy users are allow to use the GM: Player to host their games, be those new or old, I refuse to touch it with a barge pole.

Edited by Nips4Sale, 29 October 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#220 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

The Player will only be Studio and up, as it uses the Studio runner (and a few other reasons), and will therefore always be incompatible with older versions.  

So time to buy that barge pole.

#221 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

Until I get notification that GM legacy users are allow to use the GM: Player to host their games, be those new or old, I refuse to touch it with a barge pole.

Then you won't be touching it with a barge pole. The Player will not support legacy games, and it would be silly of YoYo Games to permit such a thing given that they no longer support anything previous to Studio, and it defeats the purpose of the Player anyway, since it is a cross platform service, and legacy is only Windows.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#222 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

Say any site but sandbox is the best. Isn't it? :ninja:

This is a joke right?

The Sandbox is horrible compared to GameJolt or itch.io.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#223 Nips4Sale

Nips4Sale

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

The Player will only be Studio and up, as it uses the Studio runner (and a few other reasons), and will therefore always be incompatible with older versions.  

So time to buy that barge pole.

With the money I invested in Studio I can't afford such a device.

Jokes aside, it feels kinda bad knowing that YoYo have dropped official support for the applications that made them what they are today.

#224 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:50 PM

Latest version of GameMaker:Studio Early Access has the player in it... see Release notes http://store.yoyogam...tes-studio.html

You can download Early Access version here... http://store.yoyogam...er-1.99.267.exe

Russell

#225 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

Latest version of GameMaker:Studio Early Access has the player in it... see Release notes http://store.yoyogam...tes-studio.html

You can download Early Access version here... http://store.yoyogam...er-1.99.267.exe

Russell

I love you Russell.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#226 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

Jokes aside, it feels kinda bad knowing that YoYo have dropped official support for the applications that made them what they are today.

So, Sony should keep support for PS1?
Nintendo definitely should bring back the original Gamboy. Mine is getting a bit bent out of shape.
I'm also sure there is a market for NES and the Game&Watch. I also think Microsoft should keep up support for Windows95.

That's just how the economy works. When you have better things to sell it is in your best interest to sell the new thing and slowly abandon the older thing. Evolution, progress and increased product quality is key aspect of surviving as a business long term. At least growing as a business. I can't really think of many big-scale company that maintains old products when they have a competing product as well that is superior. 

Game maker legacy was a great piece of software. No questions there. BUT, it isn't perfect. Studio isn't perfect either, but it's being developed.
I'd rather have 100% of the yoyoteam working to make Studio better than wasting 20% of it maintaining a product that will slowly die anyway due to internal competition from the new product. 

About the sandbox, we really can't get nostalgic about it because it has a few games that are worth saving because, to be honest, it's a junkyard. For every good game there are a thousand terrible ones. it is terrible advertisement and a great deal of a burden to GM's reputation. I'd rather have the player that stands and shows what Great things can be done with it than have a website filled with games makes it almost look like GM is intended to be used in pre-schools to show how programming works. The sandbox has NO nostalgic value to anyone but those that used it during its lifetime, and just serves as bad rep. If you like to archive some games then by all means download them, spread them around, keep them going. But don't look at the sandbox as a complete entity and say:
"Yes, this is a good thing, this thing is flawless".

It was a good time when it was the place to be, but now it's just old and rusty. it's almost like your car. you love your car, you don't want to sell your car, you had your first kiss in that car, you toured the country, but your car hasn't been able to run correctly for 5 years, is rusty red everywhere when once it was blue and has a black smoke circling it whenever it drives. replacing your car to maker room for a new one isn't betraying your car. it has no feelings on its own. 

#227 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:08 PM

Okay, i'm closing this topic now as the latest EA now has the player bubdled with it. No more speculation! I'll make another topic in the Community forum to discuss this... :)

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png