226 replies to this topic

#51 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

Porting current Studio over to Mac would only result in people lynching poor Russell Kay for another GM4Mac...

Lazarus is good in theory, but Delphi just shouldn't be run on other OSes. Ever. Never ever ever.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#52 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

ye they will let us have a discount just like they did from version gm8 to gms but that still paying out money.

and no i havnt been keeping up with all the issue's but from what your saying then your saying that gms1 is no good

and this bit you mention >>Given that Studio is written in Delphi, then writing ports for Linux and Mac would be an absolute terrible idea<<

then why do they sell master version with what says you can port to mac linux and lots of other things if it bad to do that with this delphi version

#53 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

The games are not written in Delphi, they are written to function appropriately for the Export you choose.

GameMaker's IDE is written in Delphi, and Delphi is horrible. YoYo has acknowledged this SEVERAL time on these very forums.

EDIT: typo...

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 04 October 2014 - 06:40 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#54 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

Why is it "money down the drain"? I still use Photoshop CS3, even though Adobe are now onto their CS6 or 7 and the creative cloud... Noone will force you to update! And tbh, that's the way the software industry works. (Oh, and "getting ready to release" is a VERY premature statement... afaik, GMS 2.0* is only in the planning stage and no programming has even been started yet!).

*Originally supposed to come out early 2014.

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=584773

I actually wish the Marketplace/Player were moved aside until the new IDE was done first.

#55 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

Just because they are working in the next GM version does not mean its coming soon. Any software company immediately goes to work on the next version as soon as a new version ships, however often "working on it" can involve a year of planning alone. Its the way software works. Microsoft was working on Windows 9 before 8 even launched. From the time a major software package is conceptualized to the time it released in can be as little as 2 years and as long as 6, and GM:S is currently going through a major rewrite. 

No matter when its released its a given there will be hundreds of people in the middle of projects, so you just finish your project in the current version and update when your done. 

@Mr. RPG, Sandy loves to jump the gun on talking about new stuff, I think he gets excited about what they are working on. Im sure all the guys actually writing this stuff would love to lock him in a closet and keep him from public appearances :P  

HTML5 INI Saving Example | HTML5/GMS Saving/Loading/User Login with PHP/MySQL/Async | GameMaker Examples/Tutorials | PHP/MySQL cross platform high score list/leaderboard
Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed.

#56 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:38 PM

Just because they are working in the next GM version does not mean its coming soon. Any software company immediately goes to work on the next version as soon as a new version ships, however often "working on it" can involve a year of planning alone. Its the way software works. Microsoft was working on Windows 9 before 8 even launched. From the time a major software package is conceptualized to the time it released in can be as little as 2 years and as long as 6, and GM:S is currently going through a major rewrite. 

No matter when its released its a given there will be hundreds of people in the middle of projects, so you just finish your project in the current version and update when your done. 

@Mr. RPG, Sandy loves to jump the gun on talking about new stuff, I think he gets excited about what they are working on. Im sure all the guys actually writing this stuff would love to lock him in a closet and keep him from public appearances :P  

*Windows 10

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#57 MikeHart

MikeHart

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

GmaeMaker's IDE is written in Delphi, and Delphi is horrible. YoYo has acknowledged this SEVERAL time on these very forums.

Sorry, but statements like this let me believe that you guys never coded a frickin line in Delphi, no matter which version.

#58 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:41 PM

GmaeMaker's IDE is written in Delphi, and Delphi is horrible. YoYo has acknowledged this SEVERAL time on these very forums.

Sorry, but statements like this let me believe that you guys never coded a frickin line in Delphi, no matter which version.

Actually I have, and it is garbage compared to other languages. Not to mention, I believe GM is coded in OLD Delphi, not even up-to-date, that just makes it worse.

The IDE hasn't had a major revision since GM 3 came out...

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#59 OneManP

OneManP

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

Lookin' good

#60 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

I think the name kind of works.  Might be a tad clumsy, but it works.  Guess I need to do major overhauls on some games to get ready for the GM:Player release...

#61 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

I think the name kind of works.  Might be a tad clumsy, but it works.  Guess I need to do major overhauls on some games to get ready for the GM:Player release...

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that part, but giving my games a new audience is always fun!

I will be putting Psymon Says and Mr.Do! on the player. Mr.Do! is still being made, so it doesn't need any extra work done, but I discontinued the Windows release of Psymon Says a while ago. 2 or 3 versions. The code is really messy to dig through because I didn't comment anything.

Ugh.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#62 Zargy

Zargy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

I'm liking this idea, however I'm not sure about the limit to the number of games. I fully understand about both server storage limits and not wanting to have the player flodded with a large amount of low effort/garbage programs, but at the same time, from a developer's standpoint, these arn't good or fair limits. Suppose a developer like Cactus wanted to put even a fraction of his free library (44 games) onto the player. Even if he owned the master collection, under the current limit, he could only put a maximum of 10 games in total. Forever.

These limits as they are currently stated say that a GM:S Pro developer can not have more than 5 games on the store at any time. Notice the "Professional" part of that. YoYo has stated that they want to market GM:S to more professional developers. There are many indie developers (who I would call professional) today with more than 5 publishable games, and that number will keep growing. Therefore, the limit on the number of publishable games dosn't really help serious developers.

I don't want to just complain though, so here's my suggestion:

GM:Studio Free: 3 free games per month

GM:Studio Professional: 10 free games per month, 1 paid game per 2 months.

GM:Studio Master Collection: No limit on free games, 4 paid games per month

While the amount of these are certainly up for debate, I think this model would work. It allows you to control the flow of games into the store, while not setting final, everlasting limits on developers.

Just my suggestion though.

Actually I have, and it is garbage compared to other languages. Not to mention, I believe GM is coded in OLD Delphi, not even up-to-date, that just makes it worse.

The IDE hasn't had a major revision since GM 3 came out...

Actually I believe that would be GM 4, since that's the first time the GM IDE style started being used, as I recall.

A part of Studio Anjin

Need help with GML Topics including but not limited to: Visual Effects, Sprite Effects, Advanced CodingPM me! I'm an official Q&A Mentor!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for good GM Video Tutorials? Look to G.M.U., The Game Maker University!

#63 djk164

djk164

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:02 AM

so... what happens to the old sandbox? does it get deleted? Do the games get imported into the GM Player?

Bye old GMC!

#64 zbox

zbox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2618 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:04 AM

so... what happens to the old sandbox? does it get deleted? Do the games get imported into the GM Player?

deleted... On that note, how do I get into sandbox to download some old stuff?

#65 djk164

djk164

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:08 AM

sad. So many memories for me

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com

Bye old GMC!

#66 zbox

zbox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2618 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:38 AM

sad. So many memories for me

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com

Yeah same here :( I'm sure that was password protected yesterday :P

#67 trg601

trg601

Member of the GMC

• GMC Member
  • 629 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

Since it very much resembles Steam Big Picture,

If this is only available for GM:S games, I think you should make two features for it,

one being a built in achievement system, second being a trading system with items.

(And update GM:S with functions for controlling those)

Because of the forum being archived, the above post is probably pretty old and may not reflect my current opinion.
If you want to find some of my games go to: Mutantbrain

#68 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• GMC:Member
  • 2164 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:27 PM

GameMaker: Player is an application and a service that gives GameMaker: Studio developers a place to share their games not only with more than a Million monthly visitors to YoYo Games, but also with other gamers worldwide.

Hmm. I like this idea, but I find it hard to believe it'll serve much of a community outside of GameMaker, especially with the name GameMaker: Player.

Forgive me if I sound stupid, it is really late here, and I'm not sure if I'm missing something but... surely those 1 million visitors are looking to make games, not play them? Isn't this just a fancy way of letting GM users share games with GM users?

Edited by Loaf, 05 October 2014 - 03:28 PM.

:duck:

#69 zbox

zbox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2618 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

GameMaker: Player is an application and a service that gives GameMaker: Studio developers a place to share their games not only with more than a Million monthly visitors to YoYo Games, but also with other gamers worldwide.

Hmm. I like this idea, but I find it hard to believe it'll serve much of a community outside of GameMaker, especially with the name GameMaker: Player.

Forgive me if I sound stupid, it is really late here, and I'm not sure if I'm missing something but... surely those 1 million visitors are looking to make games, not play them? Isn't this just a fancy way of letting GM users share games with GM users?

I agree with this - YYG should space this app store thingy where people supposedly come to play games as far away from Gamemaker studio (or at least, under an entirely different name) to make a definitive distinction between the two, and to attract players as its own entity.

#70 Exkakx

Exkakx

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 705 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

^ agreed. I don't think it should be called "GameMaker: Player". Why not "Yoyogames: Player"? This shouldn't be associated with GameMaker, we want to attract gamers not just developers.

ExkakxWord1.gifExkakxWord2.gifExkakxWord3.gifExkakxWord4.gif   

#71 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:56 PM

^ agreed. I don't think it should be called "GameMaker: Player". Why not "Yoyogames: Player"? This shouldn't be associated with GameMaker, we want to attract gamers not just developers.

Why not call it the "YoYoPlayer"? But yeah, I do agree the name "Game Maker" deters gamers, mostly because the reputation of "GameMakers" has been tainted by the likes of scr*** and other nooby crap.

Edited by faissialoo, 05 October 2014 - 07:59 PM.

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF

#72 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

^^YoyoPlayer is the plugin for the sandbox

Here is my 2 second of thought for a rebrand

Yoyo:Build
Yoyo:Share
Yoyo:Game

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#73 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:02 PM

^^YoyoPlayer is the plugin for the sandbox

Here is my 2 second of thought for a rebrand

Yoyo:Build
Yoyo:Share
Yoyo:Game

Better:

YoYo:Studio

YoYo:Share

YoYo:Play

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF

#74 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

^^ I never liked the name for the Development Tool being Studio which is obviously copied from Microsoft because Studio has never been linked to programing or development prior to MS deciding on their name. Frankly it's a little annoying especially when instructing ppl how to setup YYC or Win8 output lol

Edited by icuurd12b42, 05 October 2014 - 09:07 PM.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#75 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:36 PM

As much as I like the core idea, I have to agree that the name is most unfitting. If the plan is to reach out to "other gamers worldwide", then including the word "Maker" in it is detrimental. If I had no idea what the product behind the name was, I'd assume that GameMaker:Player refers to the runner of GM - or at the very least that it is related to making a game. Having a potentially misleading name should be the last thing you guys want to achieve.

If it wasn't already patented, I'd simply suggest "YoYo" for the name. Mainly because all of the other major game platforms have one-word names. This, on the other side, has three words, a space and even a flippin' colon. I'd say ditch the consistency if it potentially causes the product to miss its target audience just because of the name.

Other random name idea: InD. "Indie". Probably bad for various reasons, but even then I'd deem it more fitting than GameMaker: Player.

The GM series has a rather complicated naming scheme as-is, and unleashing that on casual gamers might just deter them from even taking a look at it. It just seems so limiting to permanently have "GameMaker:" attached to the front of every YoYo product, even if they aren't really linked to GameMaker (as in, the IDE) anymore. I know that it's only for GM games, but people (players) won't be using it for that reason. Average players don't care what a game was made in. Therefore, no reason to include it in the name.

Also, the length of these names will just become even longer once we get whatever is to come after Studio 1.x. I assume 2.x, and before we know it, we'll be getting GameMaker:Marketplace 2.0 and, Dog forbid it, UltimateGameMaker:Studio:Next:Deluxe. (Warning: Do not take this part of the post seriously.)

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#76 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

Looks like Legena now has a digital distribution! Interesting thought. If we have a paid game, will you take a cut of sales?

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#77 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

Looks like Legena now has a digital distribution! Interesting thought. If we have a paid game, will you take a cut of sales?

Well, duh. They take a 30% cut, like every other store publisher does.

#78 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:33 PM

They actually mention this as a key point on the Player FAQ.

They take the Traditional 30%.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 06 October 2014 - 09:52 AM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#79 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:50 AM

I can agree the name could use some work. Most people that use Gamemaker to make games are not as interested in playing them so much... I wouldn't put a game on this service hoping to make a lot of money knowing the core audience will be mainly this community. So it makes sense to try as separate it through the name only to reach a wider audience. If I was an outside user that didn't even know what GM was and came across this, my first thought would be that it's part of the Gamemaker program itself.
HTML5 INI Saving Example | HTML5/GMS Saving/Loading/User Login with PHP/MySQL/Async | GameMaker Examples/Tutorials | PHP/MySQL cross platform high score list/leaderboard
Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed.

#80 GenoDoucette

GenoDoucette

g e n o d o

• GMC Member
  • 1008 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:51 AM

Instead of having GM: Marketplace and GM: Player as two separate services, combine them and call it... Oh, I don't know... YoYo Center *cough* *cough*!

Other Suggestions (if you like the above suggestion):

• Gamer and Developer accounts.
    • Developers can access both the Marketplace AND the Player part of YoYo Center.
    • Gamers can access only the Player part of YoYo Center.
    • Developers need to input their GM:S serial number so they can have a Developer account. Developers can add Gamer to their account to become a Gamer/Developer account.
    • Gamers (if they have GM:S) can also input their GM:S serial number to create a Gamer/Developer account.

There is my two cents.

Edited by GenoDoucette, 06 October 2014 - 03:52 AM.

ALWAYS >b3v6o7.jpg< ALWAYS

#81 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:56 AM

I think keeping the Marketplace and Player separate is good.

Having them together is just remaking the sandbox, YoYo are trying to make the product look a bot more professional, and the Sandbox was a horrible disaster after a while.

I already know all this whining about the name isn't going to change anything, they clearly already have the product ready. Changing the name now, after them having been mentioned on sites like Gamasutra, seems like it would cause a lot of confusion for people who aren't ingrained in the community like us.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#82 Lewis X

Lewis X

Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1050 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:21 AM

I like this. Ilike this a lot. Glad I own the MC.

My 1000th post. Oh so simple.

Edited by Lewis Cross, 06 October 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#83 Janette5

Janette5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

Just reading the comments I feel as if people are missing a key point.

Whatever YoYo games decides to call their store, they'll market it as such.  That audience will get to know the store at whatever name they choose, it won't matter as much as people think it will. Obviously they aren't going to just market to their existing mailing list. So hopefully we'll all attract new people to play our games.

I actually started out playing games and saying - hey I want to create them, where do I go and had a hard time finding software until I stumbled onto GM 7 back in the day. I think having the integrated names the way they do would give people like me (I'm weird, but I'm not singularly weird!) a stepping stone to get from point A to point B.  

I honestly don't think YoYo games have been in business this long by not having the fundamentals of marketing and staying in business right, you guys do need to trust them (just a little!)

#84 zbox

zbox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2618 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:44 AM

Just reading the comments I feel as if people are missing a key point.

Whatever YoYo games decides to call their store, they'll market it as such.  That audience will get to know the store at whatever name they choose, it won't matter as much as people think it will. Obviously they aren't going to just market to their existing mailing list. So hopefully we'll all attract new people to play our games.

I actually started out playing games and saying - hey I want to create them, where do I go and had a hard time finding software until I stumbled onto GM 7 back in the day. I think having the integrated names the way they do would give people like me (I'm weird, but I'm not singularly weird!) a stepping stone to get from point A to point B.  

I honestly don't think YoYo games have been in business this long by not having the fundamentals of marketing and staying in business right, you guys do need to trust them (just a little!)

Oh but the name so does matter. People have jobs with the word "marketing" in their title, thats how bigger of a thing it is. Appealing to the illogical human mind is 70% of the job

Hell I even visit coles more often than woolworths purely because I like their logo & name better. Sounds silly but its made coles a few more hundred dollars :P

#85 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

maybe call it gream kind of a play on words using steam and game maker, but as all are saying above now i think about it there all right we don't want a place to sell our games for us that is only going to attract developers, we have the market place to sell to developers so unless this can be separated from game maker then its not going to be much use, and taking 30% ok that's seems a standard, but these other companies that do that also have a huge customer base of game players not game makers like this will have especially if they keep the name game maker player, in fact it makes it sound like you need the player to be able to play games made with game maker, if other people think that then we will have to hide the fact our games are made with game maker as no one wants to have to have something ells just to play a game.

#86 xMicky

xMicky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:28 AM

I think Gamemaker:Player is not so bad at all, because one can associate the concept with record player or windows media player: loading fast and uncomplicated a piece of artwork and enjoy. Personally I would even prefer emphasizing somethinge like a quality aspiration for the work done with GMS through a name like: Gamemaker:Theatre or Gamemaker.Stage. But :Player surely fits the standards of the "i"-age.

#87 zbox

zbox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2618 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:38 PM

I think Gamemaker:Player is not so bad at all, because one can associate the concept with record player or windows media player: loading fast and uncomplicated a piece of artwork and enjoy. Personally I would even prefer emphasizing somethinge like a quality aspiration for the work done with GMS through a name like: Gamemaker:Theatre or Gamemaker.Stage. But :Player surely fits the standards of the "i"-age.

when I think of Gamemaker: Player I think of 2 things

The first of those is a poorly made catch the clown remake of Mark Overmars Gamemaker 6 tech demo fps reskin

The second is a big black man with lots of jewlery in a classic 90's-style hip hop CD cover

4OCMAie.png

#88 MitchBrits15

MitchBrits15

Pixel Wizard

• GMC Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

To me it seems this is only for the games featured on the front page of the website (YoYoGames.com) and the rest of the users are going to have to put their games in the Completed Games Section on the forums :confused:  Simply because those games are pretty much going to be the face of GameMaker: Studio.. Don't get me wrong, Its good (I mean we don't it to end up like the Sandbox with a whole bunch of junk on it such as Click The Clown, now do we?) But it also means that its going to intimidate some of the users from publishing their content on there..

Its a step in the right direction I suppose, so thank you for the opportunity. :thanks:

Anyway that's just my opinion. :sweat:

TWE_BAnner_small.png

#89 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• GMC:Member
  • 2164 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

Whatever YoYo games decides to call their store, they'll market it as such.  That audience will get to know the store at whatever name they choose

I think you're confusing marketing the idea (the store) with marketing the name. The name is, to some people's opinion, bad marketing, not something to be marketed.

I dunno, I don't think there is an arrogance in questioning these things. The people behind YoYo have a lot of experience collectively, but is much of that in marketing? I don't know, but I do know this is the company that thought this visual disaster was a fine idea until the community virtually haemorrhaged with disgust (the file name is hilarious).

I still want help understanding why someone from YoYo is telling us that 1 million people looking to make games must equal 1 million people looking to buy an indie game. Maybe the idea is to attract gamers and then get them onto GameMaker, but how useful would that make it as a distribution platform from the developer perspective? Not very.

:duck:

#90 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

from what i read yoyo has only just got into this game, they bought it out from the last owner that's when they renamed it to gms from what writing about the net, and i think it had something to do with some college project or something so as far as them being in business for so long then that's not right as they have only been in it for a short wile, as for PR i think they are good at that as game maker has grabbed a lot of attention since they took it over so that's good, but attracting game players is going to be a problem i recon just because its called game maker, they should really of got rid of the game maker as its a generic term used for amateur games, should of really called it yoyo studio strait of the bat, then this extra would of been yoyo player.

#91 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:19 PM

I don't know, but I do know this is the company that thought this visual disaster was a fine idea until the community virtually haemorrhaged with disgust (the file name is hilarious).

While 5 years does not seem like a long time ago, as far as YYGs is concerned it is.

In 2009 YYGs was a very different company, it had a different mandate and it had very different products.

Back then, there was but a few employees and they certainly didn't have the money, expertise or resources that are available to them now. If your going to judge them, then it really would be more appropriate to judge them as a whole.

In seven years they've taken a single person, indie project and created a top mobile development engine and turned themeslves into a million dollar+ company with 25+ employees and growing.

But, go ahead and keep focusing on that one bump in the road 5 years ago to demonstrate your marketing competence and their ineptness.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 06 October 2014 - 05:52 PM.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#92 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

from what i read yoyo has only just got into this game, they bought it out from the last owner that's when they renamed it to gms from what writing about the net, and i think it had something to do with some college project or something so as far as them being in business for so long then that's not right as they have only been in it for a short wile, as for PR i think they are good at that as game maker has grabbed a lot of attention since they took it over so that's good, but attracting game players is going to be a problem i recon just because its called game maker, they should really of got rid of the game maker as its a generic term used for amateur games, should of really called it yoyo studio strait of the bat, then this extra would of been yoyo player.

YoYo has not been around that long, but everyone involved (at least higher up in the company) are all industry vets and have been around a long time. So they know what they are doing.

Maybe my memory is foggy but wasn't that logo a community vote? Doesn't matter the whole fiasco was a waste because they don't even use the one they did go with anymore.

Edited by Destron, 06 October 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#93 Janette5

Janette5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

There is overlap. I play games and I create games. Mostly I play games released at Big Fish Games (not a well thought out name either, but they made it work). A lot of the appeal of Big Fish Games is the way they release their games, one or two a day so that the games get a lot more exposure than in any other store. The majority of their games don't interest me and a few are rubbish but they release one I enjoy often enough to keep me coming back, heck I even have a subscription!

Now can you imagine if Yoyo games had to limit the releases, as they are, and then every day or every week showed their pick of the top 5 releases on their Facebook page, Twitter or their website what would happen? Eventually, people who play games would notice this and frequent those pages more and hopefully we'd all challenge ourselves to write better quality games to be picked as one of the top 5 releases. Perhaps. And if people know that the language it is written in, is available and see samples of games written in that language, then perhaps they will be enticed to write games too. I depend on yoyo games to keep up with technology, because I can't, there's too much of it. If they can find alternative means to fund or cross-subsidise this rather than charging me, we both win!

Yes I have way more than the 5 games I could release, but I also know that a lot of people will look for other games by the same developer, so I can live with that limit. My games all include my website address.

No, I don't mind people expressing their opinions, or if they don't like the name or the idea. I just want to balance it by stating, I'm excited about this, I think the way they're planning it is going to work and of course it's a risk – everything in business is. But count me in.

#94 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:37 PM

*snip

Those are actually pretty sound ideas something like that would be cool to implement.

#95 tsa05

tsa05

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1063 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

"GameMaker: Playground" Where the world comes to play, share, and create games

I prefer a Playground name - it allows the GameMaker prefix to make a little bit more sense to people who don't know about YYG and GMS. Without any prior knowledge, GameMaker: Playground sounds like a place to play games made by game makers, or a place for game makers to play games. Either way, this connotation works.

GameMaker: Player has an entirely different mental association with the real world. Have you heard of Flash Player? Real Player? Quicktime Player? Silverlight Player? The term indicates to me that GameMaker: Player is the website I'd go to in order to download the special player technology needed to play certain games (like RPG Maker's runtime).  It does not sound like the place I would go to actually find and play those games.

In fact, from the title of the article, I assumed that this meant you guys were re-introducing the browser plugin (aka, the Player) and not announcing an whole new Playground experience for playing and selling games.

About the limitations: Good!!!!! Let's be honest, we have the good old gmc for WIP games, first attempts at games, etc. When a developer faces the possibility of only getting to publish a very small number of games, the impetus for high quality goes up.

However. Forever is a long time. I think this is basically solved, since we've been told that the limits will be reevaluated as things progress. But to toss an opinion into the ring, I like Zargy's idea, but actually, in reverse.

• Give your Pro devs 5 free and 5 paid games up front (so that devs who are making polished games now will have some leeway to put it all up when it goes live)
  • Give your Pro devs a cap increase of 1 free and 1 paid game per month, based on an average of 3 star reviews. In other words, if a dev uses all 5 slots and they are decently well-recieved, give 'em more next month. If not, don't.
  • Give your free accounts a hard limit that grows over time, like gmail inbox space :D

I think that allowing unlimited free games would instantly clutter the playground with chintzy clones and hastily made stuff, diluting the visibility of quality games. Free stuff is really, really important for drawing players to the community, but if they drown in poor quality stuff, they will leave.

As for increasing the cap monthly, well, it's tricky, right? Just because someone plunks down some cash for GMS Pro doesn't mean their game is any good (especially if they're releasing multiple 'finished' games per month). But on the other hand, the paying devs are, well, paying. And their for-pay games are generating revenue. So, if they aren't releasing garbage, there ought to be a way to encourage them to keep on going, rather than waiting and hoping for the restrictions to change.

Hence, I'm suggesting increasing the cap if it is reached and if the dev's ratings are ok.

• It would strongly encourage quality games
  • It would encourage devs to invite everyone they know to come to the playground, download, play, and rate
  • It would encourage devs to rate and review each other's games (like a community!)

So, there's a few thoughts! Free of charge to you!

#96 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

Russell has already stated that the limits MAY not be staying around for paid users. Let's be honest, not a lot of people are going to spend 100 dollars on GameMaker just to post crap to the new service. 

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#97 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

I like the idea of limits of some sort, and the tiered limits are fine. If you own Pro you might post junk, if you own Master that chance is significantly reduced, but if you own Standard its much more likely to happen. 

Most content stores have an approval process for quality (not talking app stores). I don't think YoYo really has time to check out all possible submissions and hiring someone to do just that is a waste of payroll IMO. 

This way with the limits people are probably going to be more willing to post their best stuff, and what does slip through can be better moderated by the users, the crap will be sifted out pretty quickly.

I think they are probably going more for a more polished environment with much more complete and polished games, more full length games, and if your making full length games then the limits really are not a problem, as it can take 6 months to a year at minimum to turn out high quality full length games. 

Edited by Destron, 06 October 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#98 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

I like the idea of limits of some sort, and the tiered limits are fine. If you own Pro you might post junk, if you own Master that chance is significantly reduced, but if you own Standard its much more likely to happen. 

Most content stores have an approval process for quality (not talking app stores). I don't think YoYo really has time to check out all possible submissions and hiring someone to do just that is a waste of payroll IMO. 

This way with the limits people are probably going to be more willing to post their best stuff, and what does slip through can be better moderated by the users, the crap will be sifted out pretty quickly.

If YYGs is going to take 30% off the top then there is an expectation that they do hire people to perform tasks like quality control.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#99 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

If YYGs is going to take 30% off the top then there is an expectation that they do hire people to perform tasks like quality control.

The service needs moderation, and in that sense I agree. What I was referring to was more traditional services where you submit your game, they review the whole thing in depth and either accepts, deny it, or tell you to change some stuff and resubmit it.

#100 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

The service needs moderation, and in that sense I agree. What I was referring to was more traditional services where you submit your game, they review the whole thing in depth and either accepts, deny it, or tell you to change some stuff and resubmit it.

I know exactly what you're referring to. 

And I stand by my statement.