#1 James.Foreman

James.Foreman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

A free service to Play and Share games made with GameMaker

Today, October 3 2014, YoYo Games reveals a new service for GameMaker: Studio developers,  GameMaker: Player.

player_720.png

GameMaker: Player is an application and a service that gives GameMaker: Studio developers a place to share their games not only with more than a Million monthly visitors to YoYo Games, but also with other gamers worldwide.

GameMaker: Player is an application dedicated to GameMaker: Studio that aims to serve a comprehensive range of game developer’s needs, from sharing concepts and early access builds to distributing finished games for free or paid on multiple devices and platforms.

“For as long as YoYo Games has been developing GameMaker, we have focused on providing everyone - from beginner to professional - with a simple and accessible solution that makes it easier for all to make, share and play their games” says Sandy Duncan, CEO of YoYo Games. “We are now taking a huge leap forward with the introduction of GameMaker: Player we’ve added brand new service that is extremely easy to use".

All GameMaker: Studio developers, including those using the free version will be able to make their games available for the Windows version of GameMaker: Player. In order to make it available as a paid game or for other platforms, then a “Pro” license and additional “Export” license(s) will be required.

For developers keen to get involved, GameMaker: Player requires GameMaker: Studio 1.4 and will initially be released as part of the 1.4 beta program in the second half of October.

For end users, GameMaker: Player will also be available to download free of charge at the same time from www.yoyogames.com. At launch, the beta will support Windows, OSX and Linux.

#2 GenoDoucette

GenoDoucette

g e n o d o

• GMC Member
  • 1008 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:00 PM

I knew this would happen. Can't wait to use it!

It also has an weird name, but I like it!

ALWAYS >b3v6o7.jpg< ALWAYS

#3 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4734 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

This has been long anticipated but I can't help but think that this looks very much like those Smart TV app screens. Will certainly be checking out after launch.

2mma14z.jpg 2nu6efl.jpg 28whvdt.jpg

#4 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

Oohhh, that's rather interesting. If this gets some momentum going I'd love to use this.

#5 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:34 PM

At launch, the beta will support Windows, OSX and Linux.

Does this mean GM:S for OS X is happening soon!?

...or does this just mean you can submit Windows, OS X, and Linux games?

Edited by Mr. RPG, 03 October 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#6 TedB

TedB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

I like the concept, but change the name. ;)

#7 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

GameMaker: Studio

GameMaker: Marketplace

GameMaker: Player

Seems logical? not the best name, but it's consistent with the current product line so... :)

@MrRPG: Nope. No OSX version in the near future. But the PLAYER will be available for OSX so your games will be able to be distributed through it easily enough.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#8 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

This won't be a complete replacement for the plans of the sandbox will it? :/

GameMaker: Player will replace the Sandbox and as such uploading to the Sandbox will be disabled when the Player is released. Sandbox content will remain available for a period of time until the GameMaker: Player is fully live.

Right from the FAQ.

Also, personally I think that this new software center should be called GameMaker: Marketplace and the market renamed to GameMaker: Store.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 03 October 2014 - 05:00 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#9 kepons

kepons

The Pear

• GMC Member
  • 999 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

What about GameMaker: Playroom as the name? :P

This forum has been archived. The content above may differ from my current opinion.

Twitter | GameJolt | Ask.fm
prize_award_4_zpsvm0hohkp.png

#10 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

Have to agree that "GameMaker: Player" doesn't really roll off the tongue..

But it's a really nice feature, and I'm looking forward to it :)

Edited by Pandaboy, 03 October 2014 - 07:49 PM.

~ Pause systems for your games ~

EasyPauseIcon.png                   icon_medium.png

#11 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

Is an application?   How big roughly in filesize?

By the way the name seems fine to me.  I gave it the Optimus Prime and Solid Snake voice tests (as best as my limited impersonation skills are) and it sounded fine. 

Edited by Carnivac, 03 October 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#12 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

There are no size limits at present but there is a limit on the number of games that you can have published at any given time. These are: 2 Games if you own a free version of GameMaker: Studio, 5 Games if you own GameMaker: Studio Professional, and 10 Games if you own the Master Collection.

Are these limits going to be lifted after it leaves Beta? If not, this is horribly restricting to some devs...

5 games? Why don't Master and Pro have the same amount? I REALLY hope this is temporary.

I do however understand the limit, at least in a way. It lets you guys use less server space and keep tutorial edit/crap games from permeating the new service. I just think that having spent $100+ on pro and modules would have a less restrictive number on it.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 03 October 2014 - 05:12 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#13 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

@MrRPG: Nope. No OSX version in the near future. But the PLAYER will be available for OSX so your games will be able to be distributed through it easily enough.

Really disappointing. I should stop taking GM release dates as factual. It just keeps getting delayed over and over again.

Is there an approval process for games being released on the Player?

Free games will be released straight to the player with no review process.  Paid games will be reviewed prior to being released.

Doesn't this sort of defeat the purpose of the new Alpha, Beta, and Completed forums? Why review games for the forums but not where it is really important, the Player?

Edited by Mr. RPG, 03 October 2014 - 05:14 PM.

#14 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

Really disappointing. I should stop taking GM release dates as factual. It just keeps getting delayed over and over again.

Not all release dates, just ones that Sandy posts...  :whistling:

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#15 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

Why don't Master and Pro have the same amount?

GM Masterrace?

But yes, for active developers I think it's rather silly to impose limits. I'd understand if there was strict quality control, but not a limit on how many games a great developer can have

#16 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

Why don't Master and Pro have the same amount?

GM Masterrace?

But yes, for active developers I think it's rather silly to impose limits. I'd understand if there was strict quality control, but not a limit on how many games a great developer can have

I understand a limit on free games, but not for paid games. However I think this is just a temporary restriction for the "beta" period of the Player.

#17 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:23 PM

If it is temporary, I would REALLY appreciate some clarification from Mike or Russell.(or anyone else from YoYo, as Mike is expecting cake and bacon rolls from me...)

I can totally understand a beta limit, but a limit in the full Player for registered devs seems really bad. I mean, no other site I know of does a restriction on the AMOUNT of content, I have seen size restrictions though. This just seems a little bit backward.

EDIT: AND HOW DARE YOU GUYS AT YOYO BUILD HYPE FOR SOMETHING! I WANT IT NOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 03 October 2014 - 05:38 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#18 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:28 PM

YES!!!! My games can finally be noticed!!!

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF

#19 MikeHart

MikeHart

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

What? GM:s natively for OSX is not comming? I am dissappointed.

#20 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

What? GM:s natively for OSX is not comming? I am dissappointed.

Not any time SOON. It has been confirmed for the future. Sandy may jump the gun on release dates, but he IS the CEO. If he says something it's bound to happen.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#21 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

Just put this on reddit: http://www.reddit.co...unces_gmplayer/

cooltext680386545.png

#22 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4734 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

My thoughts on issues for the FAQ, who's frequently asked these questions I don't know but...

Steam users once again get the short end of the stick with no sort of access to Player from the get-go and no promise of access in the immediate future afterward. Really if anyone considering buying GameMaker sees this don't buy it through Steam. It's not a problem for me but there's some really inequality going on here.

Player games work on a different system, what this means isn't elaborated on but it does state that you won't be able to use YYC, will this new system incorporate the benefits or have similar benefits to the system? Why does it need to be a separate system (There's probably a good reason) ?

No approval for free games seems a bit off. Maybe one that isn't as rigorous but there should be at least a check it launches on that platform test.

30% Revenue Share is standard, no qualms with that.

The way the sandbox question is worded makes it seem like the sandbox will be taken down upon Stable release of the Player, hopefully there will be a grace period.

The game limits seem really strange. I hope that's just a beta thing. I could see restricting the free users to a certain number of games to give them a taste but restricting Pro and Master users seems off.

2mma14z.jpg 2nu6efl.jpg 28whvdt.jpg

#23 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

OK...

1) The limits will be revised as we get more information on the amount and size of the games that get posted, we will always have limits for free but Pro and Master limits will be revised upwards (or lifted completely)

2) Steam version will be available very soon after 1.4 launch (if not the same day) we are working hard on Steam parity across the board

3) YYC cannot be supported as no native executables can be used (we are leveraging the GameMaker Virtual Machine to achieve cross platform capabilities)

4) There will be a grace period for the Sandbox (no confirmation on how long that will be though)

Russell

#24 oldschool_wolf

oldschool_wolf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

So it looks like it works a lot like Steam.

Will GM:Player users have access to an achievements system? Playstation style achievement system is the best in my opinion.

Time to make a real game then. :)

6756160_orig.png

#25 Janette5

Janette5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

This is certainly exciting news!

However, I'm constantly locked out of charging for my apps because my country is not supported (South Africa). 

I read in your FAQ that you don't intend allowing advertising at this stage.  Will you then allow all countries to charge for their games and be able to handle the logistics of this?  

#26 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

OK...

1) The limits will be revised as we get more information on the amount and size of the games that get posted, we will always have limits for free but Pro and Master limits will be revised upwards (or lifted completely)

2) Steam version will be available very soon after 1.4 launch (if not the same day) we are working hard on Steam parity across the board

3) YYC cannot be supported as no native executables can be used (we are leveraging the GameMaker Virtual Machine to achieve cross platform capabilities)

4) There will be a grace period for the Sandbox (no confirmation on how long that will be though)

Russell

Not to derail the topic.. but what is the status of Studio on OS X?

#27 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

@Mr RPG - we are currently working on Studio 2.0 which will work over Mac, Linux and Windows, release date is unannounced at this time

Russell

#28 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:46 PM

Am I the only person thinking that YoYogames needs to go up against Valve at some point?

@Mr RPG - we are currently working on Studio 2.0 which will work over Mac, Linux and Windows, release date is unannounced at this time

Russell

I am experiencing so much euphoria right now

Edited by faissialoo, 03 October 2014 - 08:48 PM.

cooltext680386545.png

#29 GenoDoucette

GenoDoucette

g e n o d o

• GMC Member
  • 1008 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:46 PM

Russell

You rustled my jimmies with that comment.

I can't wait.

ALWAYS >b3v6o7.jpg< ALWAYS

#30 Zuurix

Zuurix

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:14 PM

Awesome, one more place to sell games!

1g6wSTF.png

#31 CelticKnight

CelticKnight

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

Also, personally I think that this new software center should be called GameMaker: Marketplace and the market renamed to GameMaker: Store.

+1

#32 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

So how does this work? 

When someone acquires your game through the Player, does it act like Steam? Do they get the game added to a "Library" and the ability to launch from the Player, or do they get the raw game like downloading from GameJolt or my DropBox?

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#33 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:44 PM

I can somewhat understand the game limits. If you are limited to how many games you can upload then you will probably make sure the stuff you upload is your best quality. 

Nintendo imposed a limit on 3rd party publishers during the 80's to prevent the market from getting flooded with crap like it did with Atari, which lead to the industry crash. During the NES days a publisher was only allowed 5 titles per yer, and this policy was solely designed to encourage them to do their best work possible and release quality titles. They didn't publish shovel-ware as it wasn't worth it. There were some devs that were just plain bad but that's besides the point. If the best they could do was still bad that's entirely a different point. 

Of course some got around the policy by creating subsidiaries to publish under as well, such as Konami publishing under the Ultra banner.

I don't know if its a beta limit, or if YoYo is taking a similar approach but its interesting.  If uploading games is going to be a free for all with no quality control like the sandbox, then something will need to be in place to prevent it from, well, turning into another sandbox.

HTML5 INI Saving Example | HTML5/GMS Saving/Loading/User Login with PHP/MySQL/Async | GameMaker Examples/Tutorials | PHP/MySQL cross platform high score list/leaderboard
Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed.

#34 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:00 AM

Not a fan of the name either. There is just too many different instant meanings that come to mind to the term player and playing video games, downloading game, buying games is not really what comes to mind. There is a reason we invented the term Gamer

Who comes up with these generic meaningful yet meaningless names anyway lol

Edited by icuurd12b42, 04 October 2014 - 01:01 AM.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#35 zbox

zbox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2618 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:00 AM

Russell

Finish #1 first pls

#36 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:25 AM

Both 'store' and 'marketplace' are almost the same thing.

I think Player should have been simply called 'sandbox' or just another part of the 'marketplace', making the whole thing coherent.

#37 Execute

Execute

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:29 AM

That's the best thing to replace sandbox.. :P
Did I Help You? Help Me By Helping Others.

#38 meliaz99

meliaz99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:45 AM

We really want a GameMaker revolution.
I hope this will be good.
76561198094963167.png

#39 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

One more question. The pages, both news and FAQ, do not mention if this is compatible with HTML5. I am guessing since it is not a YYC export it will be?

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#40 Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn

Valar Morghulis

• GMC Member
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

So there's a games limit of 2 for free/standard users and 5 for users of the professional edition. What about owers of the old, paid standard edition? Do we fall into the Pro or Free category in this case?

oldGMCsig1.png oldGMCsig2.png oldGMCsig3.png oldGMCsig4.png oldGMCsig5.png

#41 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

So there's a games limit of 2 for free/standard users and 5 for users of the professional edition. What about owers of the old, paid standard edition? Do we fall into the Pro or Free category in this case?

I would guess Pro, they have treated old standard as pro in other cases since the new licensing scheme.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#42 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

One more question. The pages, both news and FAQ, do not mention if this is compatible with HTML5. I am guessing since it is not a YYC export it will be?

I'm guessing that for the same reasons YYC isn't compatible, HTML5 won't be.

Both don't use the runner/VM.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#43 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

I'm guessing that for the same reasons YYC isn't compatible, HTML5 won't be.

Both don't use the runner/VM.

Ah, I should have caught on to that.

A bit of a shame really. I was really hoping their Sandbox replacement would have HTML5 support.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#44 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

so this seems like a good idea we have something like steam now just for game maker games nice, but im also worried about the announcement of yoyo working on and getting ready to release gms 2, thats bad news i only just paid 799 dollars for master collection less than a year ago infact think it was about 6 months ago, so that money down the drain as it clearly says that updates are only supported in that licence for gms 1, or will yoyo let us have gms2 and continue are licences.

#45 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:14 PM

Why is it "money down the drain"? I still use Photoshop CS3, even though Adobe are now onto their CS6 or 7 and the creative cloud... Noone will force you to update! And tbh, that's the way the software industry works. (Oh, and "getting ready to release" is a VERY premature statement... afaik, GMS 2.0 is only in the planning stage and no programming has even been started yet!).

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#46 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

Russell

but this says they are working on it nocturn thats why i was worried, and ye you are right i can still use the gms1 version once they do release gms2 but depending on when they do release gm2 and whats added after it then using gms1 might not work, comparing it to photo shop is not really fair as a picuter is always a picture and can be used in modern day applications, but if macrosoft or apple or who ever change the way code is handled then wont that mean i can only make games for old systems making my recent spend on master collection not really worth the money as id have a limited market.

#47 zbox

zbox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2618 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

Why is it "money down the drain"? I still use Photoshop CS3, even though Adobe are now onto their CS6 or 7 and the creative cloud... Noone will force you to update! And tbh, that's the way the software industry works. (Oh, and "getting ready to release" is a VERY premature statement... afaik, GMS 2.0 is only in the planning stage and no programming has even been started yet!).

In saying that nocturne though, they are different beasts. Something like Gamemaker needs updating constantly to even run on devices (look at the iOS8 fiasco), CS3 however will always produce viewable images :P

#48 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

so this seems like a good idea we have something like steam now just for game maker games nice, but im also worried about the announcement of yoyo working on and getting ready to release gms 2, thats bad news i only just paid 799 dollars for master collection less than a year ago infact think it was about 6 months ago, so that money down the drain as it clearly says that updates are only supported in that licence for gms 1, or will yoyo let us have gms2 and continue are licences.

This thought process is silly.

You're basing your claim on the assumption that GMS: 2 will not offer any kind of an upgrade path for GMS: 1 license owners.

That's likely not the case.

And how do you suggest that this be solved anyway? Whenever a new version of software is released, there will always be individuals who have recently bought the previous version. The only way to avoid it is to not release new major versions.

Cripes, GMS is better than two years old now, 2.0 is still a very long ways off, GMS:1 still has a lot of life left in it. 

How can you say this is bad news?

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#49 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

less than two year is not a long time in game making terms as i game can take 3 to 4 year to make, if you have to buy two diferent version of the game maker studio over that time then your doubling your outlay for what, so mac and linux user can compile direct on there machines, that does not seem fair to me, release a version for them separate from the windows compiler version, then we can get abit more value for money.

although i must admit you can easily make that money back with gms1 ready to buy next version with a few simple and quick games but would be better if they do mac and linux separate then we dont pay for other people problems of not having the preferred machines compiler.

#50 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

less than two year is not a long time in game making terms as i game can take 3 to 4 year to make, if you have to buy two diferent version of the game maker studio over that time then your doubling your outlay 

So your still assuming that current license owners will not have a discounted upgrade path to 2.0. What evidence do you have for this?

And if a game is going to take 3 to 4 years, why would one switch over to 2.0 instead of continuing in 1.0?

for what, so mac and linux user can compile direct on there machines, that does not seem fair to me, release a version for them separate from the windows compiler version, then we can get abit more value for money.

If you think the only reason for 2.0 is to create a Mac/Linux port, then you haven't been paying attention to the Studio development issues over the last two years.

although i must admit you can easily make that money back with gms1 ready to buy next version with a few simple and quick games but would be better if they do mac and linux separate then we dont pay for other people problems of not having the preferred machines compiler.

Given that Studio is written in Delphi, then writing ports for Linux and Mac would be an absolute terrible idea. One of the biggest problems with Studio is it is dependant on old, unmaintainable Delphi code. This has severely hampered its current functionality and performance.

There are problems in Studio that simply can't be fixed, without a rewrite. This is well understood by people who understand the Software life cycle.