#1 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

Scaling For Devices: Part 2 - The Game View  https://yoyogames.com/tech_blog/80

In Part 1 of this tech blog, we looked at different methods to scale the GUI layer so that it can be adapted to the different screen sizes and aspect ratios of any given device. This was a relatively simple thing to do, since the GUI layer permits resizing and doesn't require views nor surfaces to work. But what about scaling the game itself? Making your game fill the whole device display is easy, but making it fill the display and look correct (ie: no blurring or stretching) is not, so in this tech blog we will cover various different methods that you can choose from to scale the game properly.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#2 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4734 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

I'm having trouble accessing the post. I get a little red warning bar telling me the post can't be found. 

2mma14z.jpg 2nu6efl.jpg 28whvdt.jpg

#3 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

:( ... Should be visible. the official YYG Twitter account has announced it! Could you try again?

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#4 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4734 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

Ah, it seems to be working fine now. It probably just took a minute to update.

2mma14z.jpg 2nu6efl.jpg 28whvdt.jpg

#5 ZX81

ZX81

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

many thanks for post 75 "Best Practices When Coding In GameMaker: Studio"

My game Troyan Cargo gained a lot on it.

;)

e998f7d59faf4eb2med.pngf4abf55cf9efadf8med.png5d4c7efe150c621amed.png610f0b550d3bdc6emed.png5a8a8531e954c2a5med.png

Proud member of Something_Beautful team

#6 Janette5

Janette5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

I don't understand.  

This article says scale up and don't scale down it is more efficient for processing.

However, if I scale up then my graphics tend to start looking blurry. If I scale down the graphics still look okay as computers handle it better.

So what am I missing (other than a few brain cells...)?

#7 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

I don't understand.  

This article says scale up and don't scale down it is more efficient for processing.

However, if I scale up then my graphics tend to start looking blurry. If I scale down the graphics still look okay as computers handle it better.

So what am I missing (other than a few brain cells...)?

Because processing efficiency has nothing to do with output quality.

It is faster to scale up than down.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#8 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

You can switch off interpolation in the global game settings too. That will make your game scale without any pixel smoothing. ;)

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#9 Janette5

Janette5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

So after looking this up:  

• Interpolate colours between pixels - Turns on interpolation, which basically "smooths" pixels. for crisp pixel graphics, it should be off, but if you have nice alpha blends and smoothed edge graphics it is better left on.

I'm not sure what I should be doing. I have always done the graphics as large as possible so that the computer can make it smaller and it still looks pretty. But recently I've been running into serious performance issues on some of my games, so I now understand that this is a small part of the problem. I actually didn't know that it was faster to scale up than down. See how useful these blogs are?! 

I always use fancy graphics, not pixel art,  with smooth edges and transparency etc. But they typically can't be scaled up either.

Where is my compromise position?  Should we be creating separate graphics and texture sheets for the different sizes? How does one decide between performance and visual quality?

#10 Dhiyananth

Dhiyananth

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:06 AM

Sorry ,I had a kind of doubt,actually in the Scaling For Devices: Part 1 itself,

we scale our GUI proportionally to fit any screen size by dynamically changing the GUI size .

There itself the green box which gets stretched before turns into normal(square).

Then what we are doing actually in the Scaling For Devices: Part 2.

Sorry for the stupid question.

Can anyone please make me understand this...

I usually do game with a room size of 1366x768

So base_w=1366,base_h=768

I want the game in full scale option so , i marked Full scale option in global game settings

I tried the Part 1: 

I used  a simple square sprite and tried in all resolutions in emulator-> so finally my sprite was not stretched and the GUI size used my full screen.

Then what we are doing in Part 2 ?

What's the difference which is getting occured after performing the Part 2 

Edited by Dhiyananth, 24 September 2014 - 09:08 AM.