12 replies to this topic

#1 eltantillo

eltantillo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 416 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hello guys, for the last few days I've been working in this IDE for GameMaker. By the moment you can only edit the script files of your projects, but it loads all the assets and gmx file informations you may have in your projects, so building functionality is very straight forward

Download (1.74 MB)

Dropbox

Thanks to JummyBeg that made a compiled version, you can Download Here!

Current Version (V 0.0.1) Changes:

• Full GML highlight for the code editor
  • Better code editor with auto indentation and auto completion
  • Skin System for the code editor
  • Draggable tabs
  • Tabs closable with middle mouse button

Requirements (For Source Version)

Python 2.7

elementree

PyQt4

Usage

Source Version

Just unzip the file contents and double click the "run.bat" file to open the IDE. Make sure you have the requirements installed.

Compiled Version

Unzip the file and double click the GMLCoder.exe. No requeriments installed needed.

Why Python?

I was searching for a multiplatform language, and of course the first obvious options was java, but I don’t like the way java doesn't integrate with the Operative system (you know, the custom file search windows, buttons, I think almost everything), so I came to Python, wich is multiplatform and integrates very good with the running OS.

Although this is the first ever app I'm making in Python, the learning curve hasn't been too painful and I think this is going very good.

Motivation

I know that GMS 2.0 is coming out in maybe less than a year, so why make another IDE if the new GameMaker is coming with a new one? well I read somewhere in the forums that a guy from the staff said: The drag and drop interface is to stay (Not exact words) and I really liked the paradigm behind Parakeet, no drag and drop, just code, so my plan is to build something similar as that great IDE is discontinued.

Features

I plan to focus my work in three aspects of the IDE:

• Code Editor
  • Object Code Editor
  • Room Editor

I don't know how powerful Python is at image manipulation, but it's not in the plans to build an image editor. There are tons and very good out there, but if someone gives out a very powerful reason I may consider it.

Screenshot

screen2.png

The Community

I'm really open for any kind of suggestions from the community, this is at a very early stage and everything we can think of can be done without too much problems. Any ideas you may have for the IDE are welcome and will be highly considered.

Well I think that's all for now, let's build some good software together!

If you want to, you can donate in my patreon page:

aeQu8_become_patron_white_logo.png

Edited by eltantillo, 04 October 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#2 xNyo

xNyo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

At this super early stage, isn't much useful but I think this is a very very good start. The assets and the subfolders are read correctly, the code editor works well and if you continue with this project, it can become something supreme. I liked also the tweening effect when expanding and collapsing the folders. Well done, keep working on it, I want to see more :D

#3 eltantillo

eltantillo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the comment dude :) the reason to release it at this early stage is to hear to all the ideas and comments that the community may have. That's to try to add as much as possible without the need to turn back to low level code if someone has a great idea.

#4 eltantillo

eltantillo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:23 PM

Hey there, just to let you know that I updated the IDE, it has the following features:

• Full GML highlight for the code editor
  • Better code editor with auto indentation and auto completion
  • Skin System for the code editor
  • Draggable tabs
  • Tabs closable with middle mouse button

Please if you have the time, check it out and help me trace back some bugs. The highlight system isn't very optimized. I tested the code editor without highlighter and worked smoothly with 300k+ Lines, but with the highlighter enabled, it started to slow down at 75k lines. I have an i5 and 4GB of ram, i would like to know how it performs on other pc's and systems.

Edited by eltantillo, 04 September 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#5 3D2DGAMES

3D2DGAMES

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

keep up the good work. It is not usable yet but we need more parakeet like ide's for gamemaker. I dont have the patience for GM's Vanilla IDE. its too bloated.

My Twitter: @Salvakiya

#6 eltantillo

eltantillo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:18 PM

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons why I started this project, I think that as soon as I add support for the objects and shaders it will be usable.

Edited by eltantillo, 27 September 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#7 JimmyBegg

JimmyBegg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:13 AM

This is a great start, and being written in python means its easy to run it on other platforms.

I've compiled it to check that it runs properly, I think more people will test it if its ready to run out of the box
(and there's no console either :thumbsup: )

You can download the compiled version here: https://www.dropbox....LCoder.zip?dl=1

logoleapgmsig.pngparacs.png

#8 Execute

Execute

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:23 AM

Just for curisity, does it support the older GM versions too? :)
Did I Help You? Help Me By Helping Others.

#9 eltantillo

eltantillo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

This is a great start, and being written in python means its easy to run it on other platforms.

I've compiled it to check that it runs properly, I think more people will test it if its ready to run out of the box
(and there's no console either :thumbsup: )

You can download the compiled version here: https://www.dropbox....LCoder.zip?dl=1

Thanks for the compiled version, i'll add it to the first post, what did you used? i meesed up with py2exe, but everything went wrong :( and at the time I wasn't at he mood.

Just for curisity, does it support the older GM versions too? :)

Haven´t tested, do you mean from GameMaker studio? or legacy bersions like 8.1? 8.1 and lower are not supported as they don´t have the xml files that I'm using to parse the game information (The ones generated by GM: Studio).

#10 JimmyBegg

JimmyBegg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

@eltantillo
I used py2exe as well, if you'd like I'll send you the setup.py file I used.

logoleapgmsig.pngparacs.png

#11 eltantillo

eltantillo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

sure, it will be great :D dude, thanks

#12 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1776 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:41 AM

Just to let you know, jobo is currently working on parakeet 2 -- http://parakeet-ide.org/devlog/

:)

sigpic1_gmc_archive.png

sigpic2_gmc_archive.png

#13 eltantillo

eltantillo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:26 AM

Just to let you know, jobo is currently working on parakeet 2 -- http://parakeet-ide.org/devlog/

:)

yeah I'm following the development log, but I'll continue to work on this, thought i don't have time right now, I'm runninf a Kickstarter campaign :P