28 replies to this topic

#1 James.Foreman

James.Foreman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

The last week of the GameMaker Summer Sale starts today. For the next 7 days we are offering great savings on all export modules to both our Stand Alone and Steam users!

Take advantage of these incredible offers before time runs out!

#2 jplevacher

jplevacher

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hi every body ! 

I'm new here and perhaps this question is answered elsewhere but i have not found results with my search :(

I want to buy "a minima" GM Pro and Android Export tools.
But i need to gain some money (if i could :) ) with my apps on google play store before investissement on Master version of GM  with yoyocompiler, ios export etc. (and buying a mac for the ios export)

I notice this sentence on yoyogames summer sale web page : * Note that all summer offers are not compatible with other offers and upgrades available on our site.

So my question is : if i buy  GM Pro + Android Export now. Could i upgrade it to The Master version with all extension modules in 3, 6, 8 or more months ?

If it's not possible, i will wait a little and finish my game on basic version before buying the GM Studio Master  version.

Thank.

#3 ShubhamBansod

ShubhamBansod

͡ ͜ʖ ͡

• GMC Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

see if you have money buy it.. and if you want to buy exports or master edition at other future sales.. dont worry for that... last time YoYogames introduced a offer "Pay the Diffrence" in which you have only to pay only for the module you dont own.. and it wil converted into Master (as i remeber) ..also.. you can also wait for some good discount offers like 50% of on modules.. but nobody know when will be sale is coming :)

Sorry if i was wrong..

If i Help u ...click the + sign below.....

#4 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

While we've offer the upgrade to master before, we certainly have no current plans for another.  So don't buy "expecting" to upgrade in 6 months time, because it "may" never be repeated.

#5 Starby

Starby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

While we've offer the upgrade to master before, we certainly have no current plans for another.  So don't buy "expecting" to upgrade in 6 months time, because it "may" never be repeated.

Okay, I have to be honest here. There have been some really unpredictable moves from the YYG team.. maybe this is how marketing is done, but it sure is a bit annoying sometimes. I will explain how I feel,

I remember back when Master Collection was on sale  (or I guess before it was marked up) for $500 (which is now $800). Great deal back then (even though I'm mostly a PC/MAC-only developer), but I was waiting and really expecting at least something off this sale for it during these past weeks, now that I can afford the investment and be future proof. After this not being the case I thought to myself "perhaps in another sale". But after this statement, this no longer seems something worth betting on..

Concider this, buying everything seperate now during this sale (and probably future sales) would only make you "lose" just around $99 (and of course, all future v.1.x modules, like the PS4 ones). But the majority of important modules are already out it seems? To me the MC would be worth it if there was a good sale again OR if I knew details about future coming modules and their price OR if I were 100% sure I will use and create games for all platforms (which itself is expensive due to other fees). Will PS4 module cost more than $200? Will there be more modules after these? I don't know, therefore I guess I'd rather just get them individually during sales (hopefully you still have plans for them). Plus, as a consumer I have no idea when you somewhere in the future release version 2.0 of GM. 

The pro edition went from being on sale for $35, to $25 (upgrade from standard, just recently in May) to now $60! It kind of makes this sale look like a retail price of the last sale, which is exactly what is so frustrating. If pro is $100 now, will it cost me even more in just a few months? Again, I don't know.. (recurring theme here) Now I understand supply and demand, but somewhere there has to be consistency. The price of burgers at McDonalds, or Kinder Eggs, usually vary little in price over time, instead they hide their pricing by gradually reducing content amounts/sizes etc. Which is for a reason I guess. Also, I hope the YYG team has been following what Unity has been up to with their 2D tools,.. 

Also, why do standard users that got their CD keys during 100% off get the splash screen now, and are treated differently from those who bought it? Isn't a 100% discount technically BUYING (but at no price, call it free).

I might be wrong about about this, though.

To sum up, I'm really just a cautious consumer and developer. I am completely certain that I'm going to get some addons, but time is not simply now or even during sales. I'm not cheap, I just don't know if I will need the CPU performance from the compiler yet or worry about exporting. I need to have a game at hand to make use of the features, so while I wait and develop, I assume prices will stay the same. Because who knows, maybe GM 2.0 is out by the time (years) it will take to finish my project. I have NO need for the compiler during 99% of my development cycle, and there hasn't gone enough time since their release for me to be able to make use of them. 

I get that it's a sale and all that, I'm just talking about the big picture. Tools are new and development hence need for tools might take time. If you fix bugs in the IDE and all, it speeds up development time and makes people inclined to "go pro". I'm no expert but it seems like common sense. Speaking of which, I should probably buy some modules now because I'll probably cry in regret later..

Edited by Starby, 31 July 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#6 iiRomano

iiRomano

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 879 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

@Starby.

This is a sale, every sale is different.

The last module sale was 50% off and now its 40%.

The people who got their license for free didnt pay for it.

Yoyogames needs money and this is a good way to do so.

#7 jplevacher

jplevacher

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

@Mike.Dailly
Ok so i prefer to wait 1 or 2 months to put some money aside and take GM Master even if I do not use all the export modules. There are  lot of things to do before the begining of production. this give me some time and permit to not fall in trap to want to do  lot of things without preparation :)

@all other :) 

Sure, yoyogames needs money to produce new version and add functionalities, bug correction, etc.
And GM is greater than other similar softwares (for me) i have try fusion, construct and others but (agan for me) none of them provide something like GML. 
Simple and powerful dedicated language, simplified asset gestion, long list of export possibilities etc.

(GM gave me the feel to "similitude" with Macromedia Director in his time to produce interactive cd roms.)

For all of these reasons and much more i decided to buy the Master version.
(it's not an advertising i'm not working for yoyogames lol )

Thank again for the time you take to answer !

Regards

#8 Starby

Starby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

@jplevacher, keep in mind that for some platforms come hidden costs, either for the hardware or for a special development licence. Just a heads up.

@iiRomano, As I've said, I know that it's a sale but the point is, the Master Collection now only appeals to a select few people, looking to develop for all the platforms.

While this might not be me now, I've certainly thought about getting it anyways. But hey, would you rather have me buy the whole package for something like 600 on sale? Or would you rather have me get just a few addons (for a grand total of maybe 400). And which option is most popular you think? Getting everything or only certain addons (I belive the latter). They would probably make more money if they had a more even distribution say 70% get standalone+addons and 30% get the MC. That would probably make more sense.. but hey, I don't know maybe that's what it looks like right now. But again, I have a hard time thinking someone would buy the whole thing just to save $99.. I mean nobody likes the "future proof" idea, it's basically a gamble and depends on the amount of future content produced. And again, with GM 2.0 somewhere in the future, you will still have to purchase addons even if you have bought Master!

#9 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Starby there is no "hidden" cost. If you're developing for Android, you'll need a phone, and a google account at whatever they charge for it, if your developing for a Mac, you'll need a mac! How is that hidden! Google, Apple and Microsoft have their own development and publishing costs, these are not "hidden", but you have to do your research before deciding on a platform - this is nothing to do with us, but the platform owners.

We believe the price of Master collection is a fair price. Sure you might prefer it cheaper, but we knock it down, and hay presto, someone else say...you know, they should really have it at 400. people always say it should be the price they can personally afford. I personally think a Ferrari should be about 3k, then I'm sure they'd sell loads more, and make a lot more money!

And since even we don't know how things will change in 2.0, you certainly don't, so please don't comment on things you don't know about, as though they are common knowledge.

#10 fritsbie

fritsbie

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

Since the topic is hot, I want to ask a question here.

Will there be an extra charge for 2.0 ? 

#11 iiRomano

iiRomano

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 879 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Please use the search forum.

But yes you will have to pay for GMS 2.0.

#12 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

And does anybody know what the price of next years Ford Mustangs will be?

Ford doesn't want to release next years prices yet.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#13 klkitchens

klkitchens

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Confirming final date is August 4th?

Also started looking at GMS again. Love Construct but the lack if scripting kills it. Saw the sale, great deals. Bought a book on GML to review. Looking good.

Then come here and the "we hate our customers" mentality so prevalent once again gives me pause.

So frustrating.

By this of course I mean the poor upgrade policy. If I buy now the pro version and iOS, I'm penalized for being a loyal customer when I upgrade to the full thing later. Bad customer service there. Probably keeps more real developers like me from considering this. :(

#14 iiRomano

iiRomano

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

If theres 1 company that doesnt hate their customers then its definitely Yoyogames.

#15 klkitchens

klkitchens

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

If theres 1 company that doesnt hate their customers then its definitely Yoyogames.

But that's not reflected in their unprofessional pricing schemes or some of their comments here.
If they would at a minimum allow license transfers this would help a lot. People could sell their initial investment and buy the master. But yoyo says screw you. We will not protect you at all if you upgrade.

#16 iiRomano

iiRomano

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

But that's not reflected in their unprofessional pricing schemes or some of their comments here.

If they would at a minimum allow license transfers this would help a lot. People could sell their initial investment and buy the master. But yoyo says screw you. We will not protect you at all if you upgrade.

Its in their FAQ which is enough.

#17 klkitchens

klkitchens

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

Its in their FAQ which is enough.

Stating in an FAQ that you have bad policies doesn't make those policies good.

#18 klkitchens

klkitchens

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

But you're right. They are open that they have a bad policy. I'm just suggesting how they can improve.

#19 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

I get the feeling you think a lot of companies hate their customers.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#20 Kimidori

Kimidori

Opened Ultimate Gate

• GMC Member
  • 552 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:50 AM

does not benefit you as much as you wanted ---> hate customers

give me an example company that love customers.

Edited by Kimidori, 03 August 2014 - 02:46 AM.

No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement.

#21 klkitchens

klkitchens

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:06 AM

I get the feeling you think a lot of companies hate their customers.

Not at all. I've just seen the attitude here and the price gouging. $799 is a fair price for the full suite. $1100 is not. If someone buys standard and one export module then wants to upgrade later, most software companies offer an upgrade path or discount. Not ripoff their customers for full price. At the very least being able to sell the initial copy when you buy a new full version.

So no. Not all companies hate or disrespect their customers. Yoyo seems to be yoyos when it comes to customer service and doing what is right.

does not benefit you as much as you wanted ---> hate customersgive me an example company that look customers.

Your words. Not mine.

#22 djk164

djk164

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:36 AM

Why?? Why don't you accept discover?  :(

Bye old GMC!

#23 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:37 AM

Simply put; the thought process where one actually believes that a company hates their customers; is not well thought out.

Look at some of the YYGs developers (lead people in the company who are instrumental in said policy) who hang out around here. You'll find that these guys often help people with code, talk about personal projects they do on their own time and release to the GameMaker community, advice members on preferable techniques, offer constructive advice. 

Then look at the post time and dates of the above described, you'll find they do do all hours of the day and night, over weekends, during holidays including the Christmas break. This is NOT a quality of individuals who hate their customers, and stating as much is moronic.

If paying $1100 is not something that you consider good or fair value, no problem.Take advantage of it, or don't. Incentives like this; where one is offered a significant discount for bulk purchasing occurs in all kinds of industry, including the Software industry. 

And I don't know where your getting your $1100 from.

with the current sale price, you can buy Professional and every module for $900. That's only $100 more than the Master collection.

You have lots of choices, buy Master Collection for $800

Buy Professional and all the modules for $900

Or buy them piecemeal, as you need them. But then don't expect the same value as those who put their money out all at once.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 03 August 2014 - 03:03 AM.

#24 klkitchens

klkitchens

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:19 AM

Was referring to base prices which will be in effect in two days. Not the current sale. While tempting the risk is too great with no normal upgrade path.

It's no use continuing this.  The fanboys will defend the indefensible and the company turns a deaf ear to valid purchasing concerns.  There is no valid reason whatsoever for punishing those who dip their foot in the water.  We're not talking about a package deal here... the site clearly doesn't present it as such.  The Master version is a different version than the Pro version. Just like Visual Studio and other development tools offer different versions with expanding feature sets, that is how this is presented.  Otherwise it should only be the Pro version with addons and presented as a "buy all at one time for a discount".  But they chose to do it as separate versions and an upgrade path from one to the other, is expected, normal, and just good business.  Period.

FYI, buying it all piecemeal, not on sale is $1499.91.  So yes, $300 for Pro + one export module, then paying the no-upgrade price of $799 puts you at $1099, still a $400 savings off the individual prices, but with a WASTED $300 and WASTED copy of Pro/Export that you cannot resell or do anything with.

So anyway, I'm done with this thread.  The case has been made and while I admit "hate" is too strong a word, they certainly don't care to run their business professionally and instead seek to gouge customers by making them pay exorbitant fees  to  upgrade.

So with the sale  only two days remaining (it did not appear to be advertised anywhere but here that I saw, I just happened upon it today)... I will have to evaluate the basic functionality of the standard version to see if GM is capable of what I need it to do.  Then hopefully grab just the Pro version before the sale ends.  But I won't be wasting another $120 on the iOS export module when I'll just be throwing that money away when (and if) I buy the Master version which has it all. 

But I can say FOR A FACT, that if Yoyo offered a normal upgrade path as most companies do, I would have spent probably $300 today on the sale for the Pro/iOS/WinPhone knowing that I could move to the full version and not just throw away all that money.

Edited by klkitchens, 03 August 2014 - 03:50 AM.

#25 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

I can never understand this kind of gripe. Do you go into stores who sell a package of goods - Say TV+BluRay player+SurroundSound system and perhaps a few BluRays and demand you get the same price if you happen to buy each of these items over the course of 6 months? No of course you don't.  Your getting a discount BECAUSE your buying it altogether.

#26 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

Was referring to base prices which will be in effect in two days. Not the current sale. While tempting the risk is too great with no normal upgrade path.

It's no use continuing this.  The fanboys will defend the indefensible and the company turns a deaf ear to valid purchasing concerns.  There is no valid reason whatsoever for punishing those who dip their foot in the water.  We're not talking about a package deal here... the site clearly doesn't present it as such.  The Master version is a different version than the Pro version. Just like Visual Studio and other development tools offer different versions with expanding feature sets, that is how this is presented.  Otherwise it should only be the Pro version with addons and presented as a "buy all at one time for a discount".  But they chose to do it as separate versions and an upgrade path from one to the other, is expected, normal, and just good business.  Period.

FYI, buying it all piecemeal, not on sale is $1499.91.  So yes, $300 for Pro + one export module, then paying the no-upgrade price of $799 puts you at $1099, still a $400 savings off the individual prices, but with a WASTED $300 and WASTED copy of Pro/Export that you cannot resell or do anything with.

So anyway, I'm done with this thread.  The case has been made and while I admit "hate" is too strong a word, they certainly don't care to run their business professionally and instead seek to gouge customers by making them pay exorbitant fees  to  upgrade.

So with the sale  only two days remaining (it did not appear to be advertised anywhere but here that I saw, I just happened upon it today)... I will have to evaluate the basic functionality of the standard version to see if GM is capable of what I need it to do.  Then hopefully grab just the Pro version before the sale ends.  But I won't be wasting another $120 on the iOS export module when I'll just be throwing that money away when (and if) I buy the Master version which has it all. 

But I can say FOR A FACT, that if Yoyo offered a normal upgrade path as most companies do, I would have spent probably $300 today on the sale for the Pro/iOS/WinPhone knowing that I could move to the full version and not just throw away all that money.

And this is where you are absolutely wrong.

Master Collection is the exact same version as Pro. There are no differences in features or functionalty. None.

Buying Master Collection is identical to Pro with every module. Therefore buying it piecemeal is not throwing money away, and there is an upgrade path to identical end results. 

Any more FACTS you want to share?

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 03 August 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#27 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

I can never understand this kind of gripe. Do you go into stores who sell a package of goods - Say TV+BluRay player+SurroundSound system and perhaps a few BluRays and demand you get the same price if you happen to buy each of these items over the course of 6 months? (snip)

If some customers behaved in stores like they behave on the GMC, the store manager would call security to throw them out.  Or call police.

By contrast, YoYo staff hardly ever throws anyone out of here.  See what a nice place the GMC is?

#28 Joh

Joh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:32 AM

mmm.. why does the upgrade from standard(not the new free), to pro come up to 60$?
Think I read it could go as low as 35? But even without a "discount fusion" isnt it 50$?

Kind of last second but Id like to pick up a couple of export too, pretty good deals and I learned of them so late.

#29 Aggerwal

Aggerwal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:45 PM

This is stupid, the summer sale promotion is supposed to last "All" summer so the sale should have gone all the way until September 23rd. I told myself, well I have a couple of weeks, so I forgot about it and then today I was planning on purchasing the Masters Collection when I realize that it is now normal price. What the hell, I don't even get an email about the sale ending in 7 days so that I could have purchased it sooner. I am completely disappointed that I was misled to believe it would last all summer.