#1 nacho_chicken

nacho_chicken

Metal Slime

• GMC Member
  • 357 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:47 AM

QlIK4q9.png

Sentinel's Awakening: Digital Dungeon is a fully-2D first-person dungeon crawl RPG with a sci-fi/fantasy setting.

Explore ancient ruins built for an unknown purpose while solving puzzles and fending off the corrupted wildlife!

It's currently deep into development, but I feel it's ready enough to get its own topic!

The engine behind this has been in development for a little over a year, and this definitely isn't going to be the final game I make with this engine.

The game is planned to be released for Windows later this year.

The final demo - which demos the battle system and the entirety of the first floor - is currently in progress!

Keep checking back for updates.

d218mDK.png

Game graphics not final.

X2Qebp3.png.qGWuhrb.png.KlONGv7.png

aPg7qdp.png

= Old-school dungeon crawling without having ninjas randomly decide to decapitate you =

= Over 10 floors of dungeons to get lost in =

= Dozens of unique enemies to run away from =

= An epic tale of war, corruption, loss, and love* =

*See instruction manual for full details

FIOjhj7.png

The flames consumed all.

From the hundred mouths of the metal dragons, humanity was purged.

And in the cinders and rusted corpses, one stood alone.

The Sentinel.

It seized victory from the nonliving bodies of its brethren.

Its goal accomplished, away it flew to the realm above, to sleep for eternity.

That day, mankind saw the errors of their ways.

Most learned their harrowing lesson, but one had not.

The Sentinel dreams - but not for long.

XBTvvX3.png

Download Link - α Demo 0.0.1 (~2MB .exe)

Might as well mention that this is made in GM:S and is compatible with Windows Vista/7/8.

The demo contains a sample of the dungeon crawling engine. You can currently walk around the 3D dungeon in glorious 2D.

Controls:

Arrow Keys - Move

Z - Open Door

Escape - Quit game

Edited by nacho_chicken, 02 August 2014 - 03:51 AM.

YouTube: nacho1zero1

Twitter: @nacho_chicken

QlIK4q9.png

#2 sweetluvinbizkit

sweetluvinbizkit

The Essential Bizkit

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:10 AM

Overall I like the progress. The engine runs very smooth, much smoother than some oldskool Dungeon Crawlers of the day (SNES Era and below). Responds very quick, almost too quick, thus the control seem a bit touchy. Anyhoo, I found myself wanting to move backwards versus physically having to turn around and then moving forward to where I passed. I would suggest adding that although that may influence your door sequence to some extent. As far as the doors go, I tried to break them but could not produce any errors or glitches of any type. The way it is programmed now, once the door is activated at the closest point, you will go through to the next room automatically. It’s solid if not a bit ridgid. I am assuming that the window size of the game has more to do with possible future additions of stats and dialog say like NES Shadowgate? Also, I don’t get lost very easy in game even though I Wanderlust, yet I did manage to get lost in there! LMAO http://www.gamespite...hadowgate01.png

From a graphical standpoint I could suggest the usage of Dithering, especially since you are tagged as retro, just an idea. I won’t get too much into the graphical aspect since it is Alpha. Great work! I would love to see more, play more as the elements are added. DC’s are awesome! -bizkit

[edit] Also I played this on vista sp2 home edition. It worked perfect as far as I can tell.

Edited by sweetluvinbizkit, 23 July 2014 - 04:19 AM.

"Some individuals give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; while others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than before."-Polybius

#3 nacho_chicken

nacho_chicken

Metal Slime

• GMC Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

Overall I like the progress. The engine runs very smooth, much smoother than some oldskool Dungeon Crawlers of the day (SNES Era and below). Responds very quick, almost too quick, thus the control seem a bit touchy. Anyhoo, I found myself wanting to move backwards versus physically having to turn around and then moving forward to where I passed. I would suggest adding that although that may influence your door sequence to some extent. As far as the doors go, I tried to break them but could not produce any errors or glitches of any type. The way it is programmed now, once the door is activated at the closest point, you will go through to the next room automatically. It’s solid if not a bit ridgid. I am assuming that the window size of the game has more to do with possible future additions of stats and dialog say like NES Shadowgate? Also, I don’t get lost very easy in game even though I Wanderlust, yet I did manage to get lost in there! LMAO http://www.gamespite...hadowgate01.png

From a graphical standpoint I could suggest the usage of Dithering, especially since you are tagged as retro, just an idea. I won’t get too much into the graphical aspect since it is Alpha. Great work! I would love to see more, play more as the elements are added. DC’s are awesome! -bizkit

You pretty much covered everything I wanted feedback on. Thankfully my engine is extremely easy to change up, so I was easily able to tweak a couple of values accordingly.

- Increased the waiting lag after movement. This greatly improved the feel of movement, as well as made turning less finicky.

- Increased the waiting lag before passing through a door after it is open fully. I don't know if this fixes the problem you had with doors, but I did it anyway to match the other speed decreases.

The back button isn't currently implemented, but I am planning on it. However, it won't function as you described. It'll just turn you around as opposed to make you move back a space. With the way the engine is programmed (for efficiency), this will solve any problems with doors and one-way walls.

Yes, the empty space is there for stats and other GUI objects. It'll also make pixel-perfect scaling easy for any screen size.

The actual wall graphics are pretty much final. As it is, shadows are overlays drawn on the walls. Changing the basic alpha shadowing to dithering is a good idea, but anything dungeon-graphic related is not high on my priority list right now.

Thanks for the feedback!

QlIK4q9.png

#4 gadgetmawombo

gadgetmawombo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 330 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

Really nice 2D first person engine you have here! The graphics, while simple definitely convey what was going on well enough, I never felt like I didn't know what something was. Right now it's just a wandering maze game right? Because I wandered around and there were no enemies.

Anyway I don't know much about this genre of game, but I think you should allow players to 'back-up' with the down key. It was kind of tedious to have to turn myself completely around just to go back where I came from.

Then again that may be a staple of this kind of game, so I wouldn't know. I guess it makes the dungeon more confusing to traverse so maybe that's the goal? So far so good with this, I'll be on the lookout for updates!

Merv%20combo_zpsklyiqgwb.gif

39134.png

#5 nacho_chicken

nacho_chicken

Metal Slime

• GMC Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

Really nice 2D first person engine you have here! The graphics, while simple definitely convey what was going on well enough, I never felt like I didn't know what something was. Right now it's just a wandering maze game right? Because I wandered around and there were no enemies.

Anyway I don't know much about this genre of game, but I think you should allow players to 'back-up' with the down key. It was kind of tedious to have to turn myself completely around just to go back where I came from.

Then again that may be a staple of this kind of game, so I wouldn't know. I guess it makes the dungeon more confusing to traverse so maybe that's the goal? So far so good with this, I'll be on the lookout for updates!

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, right now it's just the dungeon engine. I wanted feedback on that specifically, so I posted an engine with just that. Otherwise I'd get a bunch of comments on the battle engine I don't really need. Priorities ;)

About the back key, I'm working on it. Dungeon crawlers usually go with one of two options when you push back:

- Move backwards

- Turn 180°

Classic and modern alike use both, but I'm going with option B simply because I'd like the player to have to see where they're going.

QlIK4q9.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2d, adventure, windows, alpha