SECRET WORD: MIN???? (MINIONS)

FirstPlace_zps3f895853.pngSecondPlace_zps1ea619aa.pngThirdPlace_zps753be426.png

Full Rankings:

Spoiler

Other Prizes:

Spoiler

Original post:

Spoiler

Edited by GameDevDan, 23 August 2014 - 06:11 PM.

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#2 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

Changes from GMC Jam 14

Voters rank games, ultimately choosing 1st, 2nd and 3rd place as well as voting on new special categories: Best use of restrictions, Best Presentation and Best newcomer.

The voting period will be exactly 14 days long.

1st and 2nd pick the next theme and handicap as normal, but 3rd place now gets to pick the "secret word" for GMC Jam 16.

What is the secret word?

This is a purely optional & experimental prize, and is intended to be a laugh rather than a vote-affecting restriction. The secret word will only be partially revealed or hinted during the running of the jam. Entrants include an element in their game that represents the word they think it is - but they'll only know after the jam whether they got the word right or not! So for example, at the start of the jam the following may be revealed:

_ _ A R _ I _ _

Entrants may include something alarming in their game, or some sparring, or may simply add a starfish guardian to their entry. But nobody will know what the correct word is until the jam is finished! Again this is experimental, and will begin in Jam 16. If we don't like it after that it can be scrapped - if we like it so much that everyone wants to choose it next time we may swap the order of the prizes around - who knows until we try it? Either way have your say in this topic on what you think of this potential new mechanic for the next jam.

#3 kepons

kepons

The Pear

• GMC Member
  • 999 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

Oooh, I'm so excited for this!

The secret word is: LEARNING.

Edited by kepons, 12 July 2014 - 10:38 AM.

This forum has been archived. The content above may differ from my current opinion.

Twitter | GameJolt | Ask.fm
prize_award_4_zpsvm0hohkp.png

#4 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Less than two weeks to wait until Jam time!

I like what you've added in for this Jam, I think it's taken the key points people have been discussing prior to this topic and acted upon them reasonably.

The secret word is an interesting idea- it could either lead to a lot of different ideas being included in peoples games, or a lot of people might all latch onto the same secret word and we could see many different charming characters appearing, for example. Either way, 3rd now has something to influence the next Jam with less ability to control the overriding aspects of the game, so I think it's a good prize :thumbsup:

#5 Ixlegraw

Ixlegraw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Yes! I've been waiting so long for this. I have faired to join the rast coupre of jams and I don't intend to miss this one! 26? The wait is too long! GAAAHHH!!!

0c4687e3.png jumplogo_zps6c509997.png fk5o4z.png 2j4ahzb.png

#6 Squarebit

Squarebit

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Only vote for top 3? Hmm, that's both good and bad.. but I like it, let's see how it plays out.

OjJP6YH.png

@sqrbt 

#7 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

Only vote for top 3? Hmm, that's both good and bad.. but I like it, let's see how it plays out.

I'm not sure he means we can only vote for the top 3, I think it means for our votes to be counted we must vote for at least the top 3 (at least that has how it has been in the past).

#8 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

That's been the wording in the first post of every jam since I started copy-pasting from Nocturne's post - you can vote for as many games as you like :P I agree that sounds a bit dodgy though *scurries away to edit the post*

#9 Squarebit

Squarebit

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

That's been the wording in the first post of every jam since I started copy-pasting from Nocturne's post - you can vote for as many games as you like :P I agree that sounds a bit dodgy though *scurries away to edit the post*

Daaaaaaaaan.

So everything is as normal except the new categories and secret word, then.

All good :)

OjJP6YH.png

@sqrbt 

#10 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

Just to clarify, are we are scrapping voting for "Best Devlog"? It seems the "Best use of Theme" and "Best use of Handicap" are now combined into "Best use of restrictions" and "Best Overall Presentation" is now simply "Best Presentation". It's more concise, which is a good thing :)

#11 NotWhoYouThink

NotWhoYouThink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

Oh yeah! I'll do this one if it has a nice theme... Can I team up with someone please? Does anyone want to team up? I've PMmed Dangerous_Dave to add me to the list. TerraFriedSheep?

EDIT: Thanks Dangerous! I can see you looking at this topic... most probably editing the first post. Thanks!

EDIT2: Yep, there's mah name. Thx!

Edited by IceMaster, 12 July 2014 - 11:16 AM.

This forum is archived. The above may not reflect my current opinion, or may be irrelevant now.

#12 GVmakesGames

GVmakesGames

rhythm huh?

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

I am joining. Hopefully this time I'll do a game.

Unfortunately this time I won't be able to give a prize (I gave a prize in the last 2 or 3 jams).

Whatever. I like the secret word idea.

As for the voting: I am not that sure of what you mean by "ranking the entries": does it mean something different than the usual "first place to A, second to B, third to C etc."?

just another indie game developer, this time agoraphobic.

Twitter | My Blog | Youtube | Steam | GameJolt | Itch.ioIndieDB | Ask.fm | reddit | MyAnimeList | osu! | WINGverse

GVmG.gif twitch_emoticon___wutface_by_centaurman_

image4.png?uid=6995159&m=0

#13 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

Nice! I like the compromise on the 3rd place reward there Dan (^-^)b

Ok... I'm probably not gonna manage to enter this time (life stuff)... but I *might* manage to throw in "something"... possibly.

We'll see...

anyway, I wanna offer some prizes:

2nd Place: A Steam copy of "Thirty Flights Of Loving"

3rd Place: A Steam copy of "Don't Starve"

Also: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th place creators shall be featured as characters in my next Jam game.

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#14 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

Secret word... I wonder how it'll turn out, but it sure sounds like fun.

As for it potentially being something people would like to choose more than theme/handicap: that's why back in the suggestions topic I proposed that winners gets to choose one of three restrictions, second place picks one of two remaining ones and third gets whatever is left.

Also, there are only 15502 11-letter words, according to this list. Sure guessing a theme shouldn't be too hard. ^^"

Another thing: d9b24d275f0830e943f80e7b55b85352
It makes sense in context.

LShy6C6.png

#15 NotWhoYouThink

NotWhoYouThink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Anyone teaming? :/ I need a teammate, I can't do this thing alone. See the looking for teams section in the first post.

This forum is archived. The above may not reflect my current opinion, or may be irrelevant now.

#16 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

The secret word is "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

I don't care about the hint system, it's just to mislead you, this is definitely the right word!

Anyhow: can we please not clutter the games topic with <reserved> post this time around? It does absolutely nothing for your game when it comes to ranking and it just annoys those that actually wait until they have any content.

#17 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Also, I think the secret word is an awesome compromise between the 3rd place winner being able to choose something, but it not eclipsing the 2nd place winner's thing (Like a second handicap). Props to whoever came up with that idea. :thumbsup:

Agreed, one of the best things about secret word is that it interferes with neither theme nor handicap, but it adds some value and challenge . Also, I'm pretty sure the community in general is reasonable enough not to take use of secret word into account (i.e. whether someone guessed it or not) into final voting. That said, I suppose secret word creates additional room for interesting community prizes (i.e. instead of Nth place or personal favourite, or maybe best use of restrictions, people might give prizes to games that correctly include the secret word or something like that; if I won't forget, I might include the prize for whoever comes up with the most creative and amusing excuse explaining how their game does include the secret word the next Jam, even if it doesn't ^^).

Too bad there apparently isn't a secret word this Jam, because it sounds like that will be a whole lot of fun once it gets used. :3

LShy6C6.png

#18 GVmakesGames

GVmakesGames

rhythm huh?

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, I'd like to see the secret word in *this* jam, just so we know if it effectively is a good idea. Maybe the users should suggest a word and a randomizer will choose the one for this jam, this way we have a first secret word that nobody knows :)

Twitter | My Blog | Youtube | Steam | GameJolt | Itch.ioIndieDB | Ask.fm | reddit | MyAnimeList | osu! | WINGverse

#19 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

Oh yeah, very quick & minor request: Is it possible to change the name of the games topic so the first half isn't identical to the first half of this topic? It makes switching between the tabs annoying. (Because I can't tell which on is which).

Don't have the game topic open? (it's empty as it is right now)

Make it a habit always having the game topic on the right?

Edit the HTML source code [inspect element] for the game topic so the tab reads "GAME JAM!" ?

Edited by mr magnus, 12 July 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#20 GVmakesGames

GVmakesGames

rhythm huh?

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Anybody can tell me what exactly has changed in how we have to vote?

Also:

Yeah, I'd like to see the secret word in *this* jam, just so we know if it effectively is a good idea. Maybe the users should suggest a word and a randomizer will choose the one for this jam, this way we have a first secret word that nobody knows :)

#21 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Anybody can tell me what exactly has changed in how we have to vote?

Also:

Nothing. Nothing at all. You can still vote for either 3 games that you like, vote for 5, vote for 16 or rank every single game that is entered. It's completely up to you, only requirement is that you rank at least 3 games and review those 3. The rest of the games can be as many or few as you like and have no review, small review, detailed review and so on and so forth. 

#22 GVmakesGames

GVmakesGames

rhythm huh?

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Alright, thank you. After reading I thought we had to somehow vote related to other votes, and that confused me.

#23 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

Oh, Snail, I see you changed your avatar again. I like this one much better than your previous one!

Also, the theme is clearly ROYTHESHORT (or keponsessss, but this one is unlikely). It fits perfectly, and we sure had him severely underrepresented the last Jam. Besides, we all know that Blake is such a great fan of Roy!!1
...I guess I'll just wait for at least one theme letter to appear, though, just in case...

On a side note, I suppose I'll go solo this time. I wonder how it'll turn out now. I bet I'll be completely useless on my own!

Too bad Detective Pixel apparently left somewhere; I'll miss his interpretive dance...

LShy6C6.png

#24 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

Ahh, one of my favourite four times of the year is here!
Time to make another really simple game, and then work on it until the next jam.
:D

EDIT: NO INTERPRETIVE DANCE?! I THOUGHT IT WAS MANDATORY!

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 12 July 2014 - 04:14 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#25 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

Oh yeaah, I'm so in this.
Also, I think the secret word is an awesome compromise between the 3rd place winner being able to choose something, but it not eclipsing the 2nd place winner's thing (Like a second handicap). Props to whoever came up with that idea. :thumbsup:

Anywho, I'll be offering my usual prize, which is the Top 3 winners from the jam will somehow feature in my next game.

I'll take those props, thank you :P added your prize to the list.

Too bad there apparently isn't a secret word this Jam, because it sounds like that will be a whole lot of fun once it gets used. :3

There can be a secret word if you all want there to be one, it's the community jam after all. Shall I just come up with one this time to start us off?

Oh yeah, very quick & minor request: Is it possible to change the name of the games topic so the first half isn't identical to the first half of this topic? It makes switching between the tabs annoying. (Because I can't tell which on is which).

Done.

#26 Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn

Valar Morghulis

• GMC Member
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Hmm... too bad I can't participate this time. :( I and my family have booked our holiday during the jam, as well as most of the voting period - that's what I call bad planning :P.

I've been thinking some while about offering a prize, though. So maybe I'll do that instead, if I can come up with something good... :)

oldGMCsig1.png oldGMCsig2.png oldGMCsig3.png oldGMCsig4.png oldGMCsig5.png

#27 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

OK, the handicap in my opinion is fairly straightforward:

Handicap: yo u r / g a m e / s h o u l d / b e / a / r u b b e r n e c k

Now we just need to find out what a rubberneck is in terms of gaming.

#28 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Also, the theme is clearly ROYTHESHORT (or keponsessss, but this one is unlikely). It fits perfectly, and we sure had him severely underrepresented the last Jam. Besides, we all know that Blake is such a great fan of Roy!!1
...I guess I'll just wait for at least one theme letter to appear, though, just in case...

THEME: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I count 13 unknowns there ;)

Edited by TerraFriedSheep, 12 July 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#29 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Agreed, one of the best things about secret word is that it interferes with neither theme nor handicap, but it adds some value and challenge .

>It's Jam 16

>Third place hanging out in my apartment.

>Theme is "ROYTHESHORT'S"

>Lol, Roytheshort's what?

>Handicap is "Your game must not contain snails."

>Make a game without any snails.

>Oh right, secret word, s_ _ _ l

>I think it's "skull"

>Have skeletons in game

>Roytheshort's skeletons.

>Complete game, Jam 16 finishes.

>Third place makes a game with Roytheshort's snails.

>Think he's a loser.

>Secret word is revealed.

>Secret word is "snail"

>Handicap told me to not have snails.

>Our reactions

BB4qxnF.gif?1

#30 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

Oh dear, apparently my higher mathematics sense awoke, rendering me unable to count up to anything larger than 2. After all, it's a common knowledge that higher maths rarely ever operate on numbers at all, and if it does, these numbers aren't anything higher than 8. Or something.

But yes, if there are 13 letters, it must mean only one thing...
The theme is ROYTHESHORTER!

(it's actually quite convenient, since there are only 7827 of English 13-letter words ^^)

Also, Dan, yes, please do include the secret word in this Jam. Can't wait to see how it turns out. :3
(after all, it's only 13 days, 6 hours and 46 minutes till then...)

LShy6C6.png

#31 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hmmm, I'm for the secret word. An extra bit of difficulty is always welcome!
Also, super glad about the topic naming, I always get lost in my tabs during jam time.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#32 GVmakesGames

GVmakesGames

rhythm huh?

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

Maybe I didn't get it totally right...

What I understood is: the jam starts, and the secret word is revealed together with the theme/handicap.

People makes a game with the word hidden in it.

What comes out of smash ball's post tells: jam starts. Theme and handicap are revealed. Part of the secret word is revealed.

People makes a game with what they think the word is.

Which one is right? Smash ball's version is even better, for me.

Edited by GVmakesGames, 12 July 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#33 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

Yeah I agree, I see no harm in having the secret word introduced for this Jam as it's not too late to do so. I'm fine with either Dan or diptoman (3rd place last Jam, I knew making that topic would have uses :P ) choosing it :)

#34 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Yeah let the 3rd place from the previous Jam decide on the secret word for this Jam! :sorcerer:

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#35 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

My understanding is you only get part of the word, then after the jam it's revealed. So you have to guess at what it is.
Which sounds pretty fun! I'm glad the jam is getting some additions this time around!

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#36 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

What I understood is: the jam starts, and the secret word is revealed together with the theme/handicap.

What comes out of smash ball's post tells: jam starts. Theme and handicap are revealed. Part of the secret word is revealed.

I read it as the latter- the secret word is only revealed once the "Jam is finished". Whether that means after the 3 days of game making are up and the voting period begins or once the winners are announced I'm not quite sure.

#37 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

The second one is how it works. The word is only partially revealed. That's why it's a secret word.

Yeah let the 3rd place from the previous Jam decide on the secret word for this Jam! :sorcerer:

I'll ask him to come up with one!

#38 GVmakesGames

GVmakesGames

rhythm huh?

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

Awesome!

#39 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1615 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

Just as a heads up, the Jam clock's DNS settings are propagating, so give it about 24 - 48 hours and it should be up. Thanks for your patience!

EDIT: It's up!

Edited by Shadow Link, 12 July 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#gmc - It's like that treehouse club you always wanted to join
Hyl2CGB.png

#40 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1967 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

Just as a heads up, the Jam clock's DNS settings are propagating, so give it about 24 - 48 hours and it should be up. Thanks for your patience!

Or just Start>Run>cmd.exe and then type "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes. 

sig_preview_anim.gifsiggy_gif.gifzombie_01_walk.gif

#41 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Yay! Jam time! I'll definitely be in this time. I love the secret word idea.

Unfortunately, I can't offer my usual community prize of video playthroughs since I'll be in college when the results come out, and I'm not certain my roommate would appreciate me talking to myself on recording for thirty minutes xD

Anyway, this'll be fun nonetheless :D
iPqfGiP.png

#42 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

(snip)

Which one is right?

You know, GV... this is all explained very clearly in Dan's post (#2).  :whistle:

It'll be fun to see how people use the "secret word" idea.  Not so much what the word actually is, but how it's introduced in the game.  Lots of ways to play around here.

#43 Mailas

Mailas

Send in the Mail

• GMC Member
  • 5900 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

Good luck to all the contestants!

omQasih.jpg

#44 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

I hope the theme and handicap work well together, I don't like when the theme is perfectly reasonable but then the handicap comes out of left field. It really... Grinds my gears. Lol

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#45 kepons

kepons

The Pear

• GMC Member
  • 999 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

91I3fmy.gif

Spoiler

This forum has been archived. The content above may differ from my current opinion.

Twitter | GameJolt | Ask.fm
prize_award_4_zpsvm0hohkp.png

#46 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

..comes out of left field. It really... Grinds my gears.

I know... it's almost as annoying as conflicting slang.  sheesh... never mix baseball and driving metaphors.  Oil and water.

#47 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

I think I'll join in, haven't been in one of these in a while.

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF

#48 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

Yay! Interpretive dance has commenced!
I am now in a jamming mood! I just have to stay there for like two more weeks...

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#49 the ch8t

the ch8t

FlameFrog Games

• GMC Member
  • 701 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:46 AM

So in. I'm going to have the most time I've ever had for a jam this time. Prepare to be destroyed.

Also: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th place creators shall be featured as characters in my next Jam game.

Wait, when was the last time dadio made a jam game long enough to have five different characters?

#50 GVmakesGames

GVmakesGames

rhythm huh?

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:48 AM

Wait, when was the last time dadio made a jam game long enough to have five different characters?

Maybe he'll make a single character with multiple personalities!

Edited by GVmakesGames, 13 July 2014 - 02:48 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chat