THEME: BUILD AND USE
HANDICAP: YOUR GAME CANNOT BE A PLATFORMER
SECRET WORD: MIN???? (MINIONS)
So, it's July again and you know what that means? Sun, surfing... and.... The Fabled GMC Jam #15 is here!!! Time to create a 72 hour GameMaker masterpiece with which to scare away all the opposition and win the approval (or not!) of our peers. This time around the Jam will run from Saturday 26th of July through Monday 28th and will be 72 hours dedicated purely to game development. Are you ready?
For those of you that aren't initiated in the ways of the Jam, please read on...
WHAT IS IT?
The Jam is a community event that we organise to encourage people to experiment with GM and make something that will be interesting or entertaining within the limited timescale of 72 hours.
WHEN IS IT?
- Competition officially Starts Saturday 26th July (but hype usually starts up on Friday before midnight when the theme is announced)
- 72 hours long from 00:00 GMT Saturday 26th ...to... 23:59 GMT Monday 28th
- Each jam has a theme, and participants are very much encouraged to use it
- This jam has a handicap too and you are also encouraged to use it
- Using the theme is NOT obligatory, nor is using the handicap, but using either will be valued when voting and using BOTH gets extra Kudos!
- To encourage use of theme, the highest-voted theme-based game gets to choose the theme for next Jam.
- The theme will not be revealed until just before the start of the Jam to prevent any advantages.
- All games are eligible (themed and non-themed and with or without handicap), but voters should take "use of theme" into account. Remember: non-theme games can win, but they CANNOT pick the next Jam's theme (see above).
- Voters rank all games, ultimately choosing 1st, 2nd and 3rd place as well as new special categories: Best use of restrictions, Best Presentation and Best newcomer.
- It is OBLIGATORY that when voting you leave feedback about WHY you voted for the game(s) you chose, even if it's only a few lines to say you loved the game idea or whatever. Failure to do so may result in your votes being removed.
- In order to encourage friendly community spirit, we ask that members not vote for their own game and please refrain from asking friends/family to do so if they are not part of this community. This has happened before and if you are found out your game may be removed from the Jam.
- Any form of cheating will result in the instant removal of your game from the jam and being blacklisted for all further community events.
- All games must be original creations specifically for the Jam, but you may use whatever resources you wish to complete the game: EG. dll, scripts, sprites and sounds etc etc etc...
- You may submit as many games as you wish, but only the highest rated game in the final vote will be eligible for winning any prizes.
- Games must be posted in the Official Games Topic before the finish deadline for the Jam, and posting a topic in the Games (or WIP) forum here at the GMC is recommended if you want feedback and opinions as the Games Topic is ONLY FOR POSTING GAMES. Hosting is up to the individual user. You may also include and update a development log in your official games topic post.
- The Official Games Topic must contain a link to your game and a short description.
- HTML5 Games are permitted, BUT MUST HAVE DIRECT LINK TO DOWNLOADABLE .EXE VERSION posted in the Official Games Topic.
- People are welcome to use any outside sites, and are also welcome to promote such sites, but the posting of topics and the voting will be done on the GMC.
- Teams are encouraged and can be organised by you with whomever you wish or you can participate in a random team (see below for more details)
- Top three places - All get bragging rights (obviously), a banner, and entry into the hall of fame topic.
- 1st Place - Gets to choose the next theme, as long as their game fit the theme this time around
- 2nd Place - Gets to choose the next handicap, as long as their game used the handicap this time around
- 3rd Place - Gets to choose the secret word* for the next jam -*see the second post of this topic for more details
- Prizes will also be offered as members of the community contribute whatever the feel appropriate. EG: Coverage on their web site, custom graphics for the game, a video of the gameplay for YouTube...anything!
COMMUNITY PRIZE LIST
These are prizes kindly and very generously offered to us by GMC members. Donate your time/experience/whatever to this community endeavor! If you wish to add a community prize (game reviews, advertising etc...) please send a PM to me or Dangerous_Dave and they will add it to this post.
PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR COMMUNITY PRIZE IN THIS TOPIC AS WE MAY NOT SEE IT!
Try not to let all of the prizes dominate 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (but please do not reward last place!).
You may choose who gets your prize including: competitors, reviewers, winners of specific categories, or even the best development log!
- dadio - 2nd Place: A Steam copy of "Thirty Flights Of Loving"; 3rd Place: A Steam copy of "Don't Starve"; Also: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th place creators shall be featured as characters in my next Jam game.
- FortyEightKay - I'd like to offer a prize of a 3D printed medal with " Jam #15" on it. I'll make one for each of the top 5.
- Snail_Man - Top 3 winners from the jam will somehow feature in my next game.
- Yal - Top 3 winners gets a hand-drawn A4-sized concept art of one character of their choice (not necessarily from their jam game).
- Yal - Best Newcomer gets a custom platformer game tileset (16x16 pixel tiles, around 128x128 total size) depicting a biome of their choice, with full commercial rights.
- GVmakesGames - Jam games from 1 to 10 get a picture of the main characters of their game interacting with the other top 10 characters.
- mr magnus - The creator of the entry I find uses the theme in the most original/out of the box way will receive a Steam game worth $10 or less of their choice and a special signature Medal praising the feat.
the entry landing exactly one place above my entry (in case of a Tie I'll pick the game that ranked higher in my own voting) will be allowed to design the protagonist of my GMC.16 entry( if he does not give me his description or design 2 weeks before the #16 Jam I'll use his\her avatar as the base of the design) along with a special signature Medal.
The best/most helpful reviewer in my opinion will get a signature Medal, and be featured as an Easter egg in my Jam.16 game if he\she wishes
LukanSpellweaver - I will be doing full game reviews for the top 5 games and the bottom 5 games in my next Indie Beacon. These reviews will be separate from my voting reviews.
LukanSpellweaver - I will put everyone who enters this jam in my next jam game, as long as they actually finish their game.
The character will either be avatar based, or designed by the user.
LukanSpellweaver - I will be making vector medals based on the games for tenth through fifteenth place. I will supply them with both png and swfs, as well as signature friendly sizes.
LukanSpellweaver - All of the new Best Of categories will receive Best Of medals, separate of the official ones (if such exist yet).
These Medals will all be uniform(same design), except for the title on them and colouring.
smash ball - I would like to offer the following prize to 15th, 20th, and 25th places. Their choice of one of my assets from the marketplace for free.
Mercerenies - 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th places, as well as my personal favorite game, will be featured in a video playthrough that I will record after the Jam. 25th place will be featured as an Easter egg in my Jam 16 game. 19th and 21st places, as well as best newcomer, will receive an exclusive cheat code to unlock special content in my roytheshort-based Jam parody game.
Alice - for places 17 to 27, I'll explain how I approached problem of choice in my 13th, 14th or 15th Jam game, as long as it's not too large (so dialogue system or level selection is fine, but entire game is not), as described here.
Okay, I'll make a recipe for whoever comes 12th. If you have any special requirements (vegetarian, vegan etc), I will make sure to cater to these. The recipe itself will be based from the game. To the person who places 12th, I will compose (and produce) a music track in any style of your choosing. Track length is 2 minutes.
Lan Shade - the last place wins a sprite of a cake.
Exkakx - Writing a love song to the player in 6th place. Don't know how or why, but I will.
Slammin Sam - I'd like to offer a JCHTML5 Basic license ($29) to the highest placing entry that has a playable HTML5 version.
Messmerd - I am willing to name a character in my upcoming game after the 7th and 8th place winners in GMC Jam 15.
ParodyKnaveBob - I will write and perform a song of parody for the 4th place winner!* *The prize will go down the rank list to the next available entry under the following circumstances: I'm involved with the entry or I morally disagree too strongly with the entry's content.
- IceMaster and Sirham - Looking for an artist to join their team
- Lan Shade - will support with graphics and 50% of conventional programming
Support Banners (by Greenblizzard)
Please add a support banner to your forum signature.
Edited by GameDevDan, 23 August 2014 - 06:11 PM.