#1 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

HLAaKIR.png

Join the rEvolution... or some catchy tag-line like that.

KAOS rEvolution is a sequel to my most popular game ever, KAOS. Meant to be an improvement in every way, I think it's off to a great start. rEvolution's premise is similar to that of the original KAOS: You control a yellow ship, and your objective is to kill everything in your way while getting upgrades and advancing up the ladder of enemy difficulty. The original KAOS has over 200 plays on Gamejolt and over 400 on YoYoGames.

KAOS rEvolution is a fast-paced, hectic Arcade shooter, with an abstract graphical style. You play the yellow triangle ship from a top-down perspective, at first only equipped with your gun and a few bombs. Your only objective (as of now) is to survive for as long as you possibly can against the endless waves of unique foes. Powerups, KWaves and Upgrades ramp up the action. Intense and original music composed by Duncan McPherson (gamereality) helps to inspire the action.

KAOS rEvolution Alpha v0.1 contains the following notable features:

• 7 different types of enemies, each unique in appearance, behavior, and attacks. Many more are planned!
  • 6 different upgrades which allow you to progress at a rate similar to that of your enemies. More are planned, too!
  • An options screen that allows you to adjust the volume of music and sounds. Note: Does not save settings, so you must re-adjust them every time you run the game. I'm working on this, please be patient.
  • An Encylopedia, which gives you information about the behavior of your various foes. Will be expanded to show their stats as well as give information on powerups in the future.
  • KWaves (Kaos Waves), in which several enemies of a single type spawn together.
  • Powerups. Currently only one true powerup, the Amp, which boosts your ship in speed, fire rate, etc. There are, however, health pickups (the red shapes. The hexagons restore you to max health).
  • Probably a lot of bugs, but that's what Alpha is for.

Please excuse the bugs, I'll do my best to fix them. I'm not a wizard though, and there may be some I can't fix with my current know-how (with some, I don't even know WHY they're happening). Don't fret though, I'm not that terrible.

Thank you, GMC, for making the original game popular-ish and for all of the help you've given me over the years!

InvaderX.gif

#2 cybearg

cybearg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

Very fun and it has a great difficulty curve! I'm also very fond of the glowing neon aesthetic and the music. The seamless slip from stage to stage really keeps things flowing nicely.

I really appreciate how each of the enemies has a very distinct attack style. It keeps you thinking about how to handle each enemy type in the back of your head, but the pace of profession prevents you from ever feeling ripped off or surprised.

The power-ups also are very clearly useful and have what seems a very fair price progression. I also like that the store can be accessed so easily and closed easily as well, although Shift is kind of an odd choice--I would have expected teleport to be shift. Still, it IS very handy.

I'd say you've done a fantastic job. I'll confess I was a bit skeptical when, at first glance, it seemed just a typical Asteroids clone, but you've put in some good effort to make it rise above being just Asteroids.

As for suggestions, I'd like to see the HP, cash, and other indicators somehow expressed as a simple little symbol on the left, like the bombs are, rather than being quite so spread out and somewhat inconsistently relying on text sometimes and symbols at other times. I'd also suggest investigating an HTML5 platform for this game, as it feels very much like an HTML5-type arcade game.

Finally, how did you manage to pack so much into just 5.5Mb? I have a lot of trouble getting mine below 13Mb. Any tricks you can share there?

MMeHb2z.png

en_app_rgb_wo_45.png

Current Status: [LAUNCHED]

#3 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

First, thanks for playing!

Very fun and it has a great difficulty curve! I'm also very fond of the glowing neon aesthetic and the music. The seamless slip from stage to stage really keeps things flowing nicely.

Thank you! The difficulty is something I'm being very delicate with. In the last KAOS, it was either too hard or way too easy.

The power-ups also are very clearly useful and have what seems a very fair price progression. I also like that the store can be accessed so easily and closed easily as well, although Shift is kind of an odd choice--I would have expected teleport to be shift. Still, it IS very handy.

Did you ever notice powerups spawning, specifically the Amp (the green thing)? I've played a fair bit and haven't seen it once. I need to look into that.

I picked shift because its an easy to access key. Teleport is a bit far from the rest of the keys, so I might move it to Q or E. I didn't figure it was a very useful ability, while the shop is essential. I may change the keys around, though, if I ever add something like a boost/sprint (which would be shift, naturally).

As for suggestions, I'd like to see the HP, cash, and other indicators somehow expressed as a simple little symbol on the left, like the bombs are, rather than being quite so spread out and somewhat inconsistently relying on text sometimes and symbols at other times. I'd also suggest investigating an HTML5 platform for this game, as it feels very much like an HTML5-type arcade game.

Yes, the symbols are inconsistent. I originally had the bomb represented by different numbers of bomb symbols depending on how many you had. I kept the bomb icon after that. I'll probably add a health symbol, etc, later. I will likely move health to the left, however I think I'll probably keep FPS, money, and score where they are to keep things from feeling too "heavy" on that side of the screen.

As for HTML5, I have the export module. However, I tried exporting a game to it once and it was incredibly slow. I'll try it with KAOS, but I'm not sure it'll run well.

Finally, how did you manage to pack so much into just 5.5Mb? I have a lot of trouble getting mine below 13Mb. Any tricks you can share there?

Simple graphics and sound effects help with that. I also only have three music tracks in there, which is where most of the filesize actually comes from. Without the music it is much smaller.

InvaderX.gif

#4 cybearg

cybearg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

Sorry for the confusion--when I said "power-up", I meant the upgrades. I actually wasn't clear on what were power-ups as touching them didn't seem to do much. I saw some red or green squares sitting around sometimes, but I couldn't seem to really pick them up.

MMeHb2z.png

en_app_rgb_wo_45.png

#5 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

Sorry for the confusion--when I said "power-up", I meant the upgrades. I actually wasn't clear on what were power-ups as touching them didn't seem to do much. I saw some red or green squares sitting around sometimes, but I couldn't seem to really pick them up.

Oh. Hm.

The green hexagons are Amps, which turn you green and boost your stats. Red hexagons give you maximum health. The red squares are dropped by enemies and restore 10 HP. I will probably expand the Encyclopedia to include power ups at a later date.

InvaderX.gif

#6 cybearg

cybearg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Maybe if the power-ups had some sort of pulse they gave off--something to grab your attention and attract you to them?

Encyclopedia articles are cool, but the game shouldn't rely on people reading that. It should be intuitive at a glance, and for the most part it is, but there's no a clear visual distinction between enemies, enemy shots, and power-ups.

MMeHb2z.png

en_app_rgb_wo_45.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, alpha, arcade, retro, 2d