139 replies to this topic

#101 Spikehead777

Spikehead777

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 496 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

I had learned of Game Maker: Studio - Standard becoming free when I updated earlier and looked at the change log. It's nice to see that GM:S Standard is appealing to a wider audience by removing the paywall entry barrier. It did concern me that new Standard users would see a splash screen and lose Mac export functionality, but from what I've seen here, that is not the case for existing Standard users.

#102 Dnallohleoj

Dnallohleoj

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

If you bought GameMaker: Studio in any shape or form, you'll keep the exports you got as part of your purchase. So those who bought Standard previously, will keep the Mac export that was part of their purchase - same for Pro users.

The new exports etc. are for going forward from now.

So I'm confused though: the watermark. will people who paid for standard get that (not that I'm affected. Master collection user)

To learn about Project:Esmag, check us out on Steam. Group Name Project: Esmag

#103 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

There is no watermark on any Studio versions.

There is a Splash Screen that says "Made with GameMaker: Studio" at the app launch, but it only shows for about five seconds.

This Splash only shows on the new Free Standard, if you payed for it in the past this will not show.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#104 Krishiv768

Krishiv768

Whatever it is

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:58 AM

It's good that GMS Standard free now, I had gone and got it off. I always wanted it. +1 rep

PQVqkDw.gif

This also shows that I'm a good animator.

#105 PeteUplink

PeteUplink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

Edit:

Disregard this post. I found the answer.  :whistling:

Edited by PeteUplink, 13 June 2014 - 10:25 AM.

uplink_blog_realname_640_zpse7o7lnc0.png

Check out my blog: peteuplink.tumblr.com or visit: http://www.britbitgames.com Twitter:@Peteuplink

#106 Dnallohleoj

Dnallohleoj

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

There is a Splash Screen that says "Made with GameMaker: Studio" at the app launch, but it only shows for about five seconds.

This Splash only shows on the new Free Standard, if you payed for it in the past this will not show.

That's what I meant

To learn about Project:Esmag, check us out on Steam. Group Name Project: Esmag

#107 Kimidori

Kimidori

Opened Ultimate Gate

• GMC Member
  • 552 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

That's what I meant

In case you still not get it, people who paid for standard before won't get the splash screen, they keep what they paid for.

No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement.

#108 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

I guess the easiest way to explain this whole thing is to say that the Standard bought before now is a totally different product than the new free Standard.
The new Free Standard is just old free GM:S without the resource/GML restriction, and it can't do MacOS exporting.

If you did buy Studio in any fashion before this announcment, you will retain the product you paid for in every way.
You will keep all of the exports you got with your license, and the splash screen will not appear on your games.

I'm just posting this clairification to point to later, people seem to just skim over this entire topic and slap questions to the end of it.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 13 June 2014 - 07:58 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#109 MitchBrits15

MitchBrits15

Pixel Wizard

• GMC Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Aww man, I bought Standard just to remove the resource limitation :(

(although, to be fair, I upgraded using my 7.0 key for a discount)

On the bright side, you have no splash screen and have the Mac module for the price you paid... 

Always look on the bright side of life!

Edited by MitchBrits15, 14 June 2014 - 10:25 AM.

TWE_BAnner_small.png

#110 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2527 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

Wait so before this announcement, you could purchase GameMaker Studio Standard for $49.99 USD and develop for Windows and Mac OSX (Source: https://web.archive....ames.com/studio) (and YYG: https://www.yoyogames.com/legacy)

And now, if you'd like to develop for both windows and Mac OSX you have to purchase GameMaker Studio Professional for $99.99 USD plus an additional $99.99 Mac OSX export (totalling $199.98 USD)? Yes you now get the added Professional features, but they weren't exactly essential to Mac and Windows development...

Making Studio Standard free does make it more accessible, but at the same time this new pricing doesn't exactly make it more accessible in my opinion...

Edited by 2DLuis, 14 June 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#111 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

Wait so before this announcement, you could purchase GameMaker Studio Standard for $49.99 USD and develop for Windows and Mac OSX (Source: https://web.archive....ames.com/studio) (and YYG: https://www.yoyogames.com/legacy)

And now, if you'd like to develop for both windows and Mac OSX you have to purchase GameMaker Studio Professional for $99.99 USD plus an additional $99.99 Mac OSX export (totalling $199.98 USD)? Yes you now get the added Professional features, but they weren't exactly essential to Mac and Windows development...

Making Studio Standard free does make it more accessible, but at the same time this new pricing doesn't exactly make it more accessible in my opinion...

You have to realize at the end of the day, its still all about business. The Free version of GameMaker is just essentially a free trail, they don't really expect people to publish games using it. People will, but if you are a professional, or trying to become professional then you don't want that splash screen on your game. It does however allow you to have full unlimited access to the program with a Windows export, so you can fully test drive it and see if it works for you, and if you are short on funds now you can start your project until you can afford to pony up for the full version. Resourceful people could even create a Windows version and sell it to get the money for the paid version and modules to export to other platforms. Its not however really acceptable to publishers to market them a game with a non removable splash screen though, so again if your trying to be professional your going to at least buy the $99 version to remove it. 

A successful trial version is one that will convert you in to a paying customer, they are not just giving you a free version out of their good graces, 

Also, I believe the Mac export was originally included free because YoYo may not have seen as much value in the export especially since you need to own a Mac to export to a Mac. But the trend is changing as Mac sales surge and PC sales decline. I know a couple people who have been converted to life long Mac users due to using iOS devices, I am sure there are many more out there, so it goes to figure that as the Mac market share increases, so would the market for games on the Mac platform. Suddenly that Mac export looks a lot more valuable and is probably not something they should just be giving away, 

HTML5 INI Saving Example | HTML5/GMS Saving/Loading/User Login with PHP/MySQL/Async | GameMaker Examples/Tutorials | PHP/MySQL cross platform high score list/leaderboard
Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed.

#112 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2527 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

Agreed, in the end it is a business, and this may be the reason for new developers to try GameMaker, but not necessarily to stay with GameMaker. I do laud YoYoGames for all of the excellent progress it has made diversifying GameMaker, but at the same time, as a developer, it's slightly worrisome that the software has become increasingly expensive. And yes, in the long run it is not expensive when compared to similar software, consider however Unity's "trial version" (a free version with a multitude of exports that would otherwise cost $99/$199 each in Studio, to just try them), which also gives developers full access to test the software.

Please note that I am not endorsing either software, I just wanted to point out that there might be a slightly better way to trial the software (this of course is well beyond my doing).

Edited by 2DLuis, 14 June 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#113 gorgus

gorgus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

can we use path_add() in this version?

#114 GfxRippersSuck

GfxRippersSuck

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

I found out I have to click on "Welcome" in the splash screen (hard to see this is a clickable tab) to register and get a license key, however I still get an error saying "Unable to obtain a valid license, ...".

I have two accounts on my Windows 7 computer, an admin and a user. I installed GM Studio through the user account and by typing in the admin password, could it be that GM is now confused where to find the license key?

Edited by GfxRippersSuck, 16 June 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#115 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:27 AM

can we use path_add() in this version?

Yes, all GML Restrictions, excluding one marked otherwise in the manual, are removed in Studio now.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#116 chaz13

chaz13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4214 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

This is really great news, and will hopefully be a great resource to new game makers!

#117 Nawz

Nawz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:06 AM

I paid 50 bux for standard. Does that mean I have to pay another 100  bux for pro or just 50? I am really confused and displeased. Am I missing something?

Nevermind I got the answer right here

Can I buy exports if I have Standard now, or, do I need to have PRO?

To purchase additional exports, you must own PRO. If you have already paid for Standard then an upgrade to PRO is $49.99, otherwise it is $99.99.

Edited by Nawz, 18 June 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#118 Kimidori

Kimidori

Opened Ultimate Gate

• GMC Member
  • 552 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

I paid 50 bux for standard. Does that mean I have to pay another 100  bux for pro or just 50? I am really confused and displeased. Am I missing something?

Nevermind I got the answer right here

Can I buy exports if I have Standard now, or, do I need to have PRO?

To purchase additional exports, you must own PRO. If you have already paid for Standard then an upgrade to PRO is $49.99, otherwise it is $99.99.

you missing that you got the now 99$ Mac export for 50$ you paid and you don't have the "Made and with GameMaker Splash Screen in game" like new free standard user have.

No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement.

#119 Mailas

Mailas

Send in the Mail

• GMC Member
  • 5900 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

$300 for cross compatibility across Windows, Mac and Linux is ridiculous when it's a necessity in this day and age. Every other game engine offers cross compatibility as a basic feature.

Anybody serious about Game Development would pay that price for it. + why offer something for free when people would just as easily pay for it?

Yes if you are actually serious about Game Development, you will buy a product at that price which supports an easy method for getting your game finished.

I'm just glad I chose to learn Game Maker all those years back, I never knew this would happen and now that it has, I probably would've payed any price they had.

omQasih.jpg

#120 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:32 AM

Sorry if it is a stupid question, I got Standard version of GMS 1.2 for free from yoyogames on a discount week months ago, does this means I still get the "no splash screen", and mac export feature when I update to 1.3?

Thumb_Jilbab.png96un.pngsssignature.png

#121 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:10 AM

If you have a version of standard from before this new pricing system, then you retain the product you had.
No splash, free Mac export intact.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#122 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:15 AM

If you have a version of standard from before this new pricing system, then you retain the product you had.

Great! I'm feeling super lucky now. Thanks.

#123 Xor

Xor

@XorDev

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

Great! I'm feeling super lucky now. Thanks.

I had the same thing. It's nice to have mac export.

I'm on Twitter as of March 2016 (@XorDev).

#124 Odolwa

Odolwa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

I'm having some trouble getting the free standard version of GML studio version to work correctly.  The problem is similar to that of Paul222 on page 3 of this thread, but I think I may need some additional assistance.   This is a bit wordy so I'll try keep things clear by numbering the individual issues.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

1.  First I should say that I'm running XP and have been using the original free version of GML for a while now.  When I download and install GML Standard, opening up All Programs from the Start menu shows that I have both GML 1.1 'and' 1.3, so it seems 1.3 didn't overwrite 1.1 when I installed.  I don't know if that's an issue, but I'm mentioning it here just in case.  Also, just to confirm, but I assume 1.3 is the 'version name' for Standard?

2.  When I open 1.3, the splash page link takes me to the Billing Information screen, which Paul222 linked an image to (post #82).  His screen cap doesn't show, however, that at the top of that page there is a Checkout with a Product select option, but there is no selected item on my screen and if I go through the Buy tab to get Standard that way, it just sends me in a loop without going back to the Checkout.  Also, there is a line at the top saying "This product is not available", which I'm guessing refers to Standard in it's original purchasable form?  Below all that is an Upgrade and Discount option.  Should these be left blank?  At the very bottom of the Billing page is a space for VAT no. (leave blank?) and lastly the Proceed tab.  This tab can't be clicked, even if I try fill everything out.  I can't move beyond this page!!

3.  Lastly, other users made reference to the license in Application Data, which should be deleted.  Strangely, I do not have an Application Data folder, yet when I R-click the licence and select Properties of the GML license  from the Start menu it indicates that there is such a folder!!  If I click Find Target from the Properties window, it takes me to C:/Windows/system32 ('not' C:/Doc.'s & Settings/User/Application Data/Local/GameMaker-Studio/license.txt) and highlights a blank Notepad file.  I'm somewhat concerned about deleting this as the Windows folder threw up a warning that system critical information deleted here could affect performance of the computer.  I know it's probably OK to delete this file but I would appreciate if anyone could confirm if it's safe to so, just in case.  I should also say that the license is listed as .txt, not .plist.

Can anyone help me with this as I've been going around in circles for what seems like hours!!!  Many thanks.

Edited by Odolwa, 22 June 2014 - 03:01 PM.

"Only Sith code in abs" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

#125 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:43 AM

3.  Lastly, other users made reference to the license in Application Data, which should be deleted.  Strangely, I do not have an Application Data folder, yet when I R-click the licence and select Properties of the GML license  from the Start menu it indicates that there is such a folder!!  If I click Find Target from the Properties window, it takes me to C:/Windows/system32 ('not' C:/Doc.'s & Settings/User/Application Data/Local/GameMaker-Studio/license.txt) and highlights a blank Notepad file.  I'm somewhat concerned about deleting this as the Windows folder threw up a warning that system critical information deleted here could affect performance of the computer.  I know it's probably OK to delete this file but I would appreciate if anyone could confirm if it's safe to so, just in case.  I should also say that the license is listed as .txt, not .plist.

Can anyone help me with this as I've been going around in circles for what seems like hours!!!  Many thanks.

Your application data folder is hidden by default, so you have to set your system to show all files and folders. Also, if you open any windows explorer window(like a folder) that has an address bar at the top you can simply type %APPDATA% to be taken directly to the folder. 

HTML5 INI Saving Example | HTML5/GMS Saving/Loading/User Login with PHP/MySQL/Async | GameMaker Examples/Tutorials | PHP/MySQL cross platform high score list/leaderboard
Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed.

#126 Odolwa

Odolwa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for clarifying how to get to that folder, Destron.

Once there, I found a license.txt file which I deleted, but nothing has changed when I go to the Billing Information and fill it out.

I also see a folder called Licenses which has various .txt file licenses for things like 7z, Box2D, ffmpeg, etc.  Do I need to delete all of these, too?

I carried out a search on the GameMaker-Studio folder but no license.plist file was revealed.  Can anyone suggest anything, please?  Thank you.

Edited by Odolwa, 23 June 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#127 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Odolwa - to get the license file you need to go to %localappdata%\GameMaker-Studio and delete the license.txt file there.

Russell

#128 Odolwa

Odolwa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

Putting %localappdata% into the IE browser throws up an error message though, following on from my response to Destron, putting %appdata% in takes me to the folder I think you are referring to.  After deleting the license.txt file there I opened up GML, went through the Upgrade to Standard splash page to the Billing Information page.  The Proceed tab is still unselectable after I fill in the email, name and address fields.

You mentioned 3 options that should appear upon opening GML: Studio, but that still has not happened for me so far.  Do I even need to go through the Billing Information screen?

Sorry for all this but I'm hitting a brick wall here for some reason and nothing makes sense right now.  Thank you.

#129 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:41 AM

Type the %APPDATA% and you will land in the roaming folder. Back up one level and you will see the local folder. Look in the for the gamemaker folder.

Edited by Destron, 24 June 2014 - 01:42 AM.

#130 Odolwa

Odolwa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Ok, I finally found the .plist and I have the new Studio version up and running.  Thanks for your patience, folks.  

I'm a bit of a noob with IT and I'm learning as I go so I'll post what I did based on the advice provided, in case anyone encounters the same problems I did.

1.  The %localappdata% shortcut threw up an error message, even after I had selected for all hidden files and folders to be made viewable.  To make these files/ folders visible go to My Computer, then through the Tools tab to Folder Options and from there the View tab.  Select 'Show hidden files and folders' and Apply.

2.  The folder in question was listed as Local Settings in the User Name folder.  From there it's Application Data, GameMaker-Studio and license.plist should be there.

3. Start up GML and click the unselected tab at the top...it was Welcome or View.  There's only two to choose from, anyway.  Email, reg, license, bam.

:woot:

Edited by Odolwa, 24 June 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#131 Lukasmah

Lukasmah

A fan of staplers

• GMC Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

Wait, so can people who have older Studio licenses get new versions of Standard Studio? Do those new versions come with the added logo wherever you put it (splashscreen or watermark or wherever you put it) and less modules despite using the old license? Or are people with old licenses unable to get new versions? Or do people get new versions of Studio without the added logo wherever you put it (splashscreen or watermark or wherever you put it)?

This is my signature. Isn't it nice?

#132 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

Wait, so can people who have older Studio licenses get new versions of Standard Studio? Do those new versions come with the added logo wherever you put it (splashscreen or watermark or wherever you put it) and less modules despite using the old license? Or are people with old licenses unable to get new versions? Or do people get new versions of Studio without the added logo wherever you put it (splashscreen or watermark or wherever you put it)?

If you paid for the license before it went free then nothing will change, you will keep the modules you had and you won't have a splash screen. However if you were previously using the free resource limited version you still have to get a free license key to use the new unlimited version that will have a splash screen and only has a windows export. Your version will still receive updates no matter what version you are using. 

#133 Lukasmah

Lukasmah

A fan of staplers

• GMC Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

If you paid for the license before it went free then nothing will change, you will keep the modules you had and you won't have a splash screen. However if you were previously using the free resource limited version you still have to get a free license key to use the new unlimited version that will have a splash screen and only has a windows export. Your version will still receive updates no matter what version you are using.

Ah, awesome, thanks for the info.

This is my signature. Isn't it nice?

#134 Kimidori

Kimidori

Opened Ultimate Gate

• GMC Member
  • 552 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

How many times have it been asked already. why couldn't people even tried to read.

#135 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:45 PM

How many times have it been asked already. why couldn't people even tried to read.

May be it is because we are too lazy to read through page 1 to 5. other than that, I don't know why.

#136 Trollypolly

Trollypolly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

Until the influx of new people grasp it, which if you didn't expect it then I don't know what to say...  I don't know why you said that in this post tbh since it is irrelevant (as with this one I am typing but I am trying to correct in you saying not to bash your new community).  Don't get me wrong I see no problem with non admins answering peoples already answered questions (because we all want to help out) but at the same time that makes these threads have more pages which will w/o a doubt make duplicate questions for lots of people, especially people that are not savvy in something.

#137 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:07 PM

Why would you join a discussion forum, then add to discussions without reading the full thing?

I have answered the "Does this effect my old licenses?" question at least 4 times in this thread alone.

And just to clarify, no it doesn't effect older licenses.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#138 Overloaded

Overloaded

Oneirophobia

• GMC Member
  • 995 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

Why would you join a discussion forum, then add to discussions without reading the full thing?

Because some people have better stuff to do that reading 5 pages? Also there should have been a FAQ in the OP.

gmc_signature.png

Upcoming 2D Turn-Based RPG. You can visit our website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Check out my GM Marketplace Assets!

Follow me on Twitter: @OVLDD

#139 Trollypolly

Trollypolly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

I have answered the "Does this effect my old licenses?" question at least 4 times in this thread alone.

And just to clarify, no it doesn't effect older licenses.

Nice you helped out 4 people, you should actually feel good about yourself.  Also way to justify your reasoning which just shows you are not being a diplomat in this situation so stick to coding.

#140 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

Closing.... since every question is now about what it does if they already own Standard.  If your wondering this, please read back a few messages.