145 replies to this topic

#101 Squarebit

Squarebit

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 234 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

what if we just had a "how is your jam game now?" topic where everyone posted an updated version? Limit one post per person and have discussion still occur in the jam discussion topic. Have the topic close when the next discussion topic opens.

If people continue work on their Jam creations, I'd rather they create a WIP or Creations topic to discuss it.   Many people already create topics there during the Jam itself.

Having a separate discussion here just duplicates another part of the forum.

True, but it would be nice to have a summary in a single thread if you want to follow the development of the jam games specifically.

Kind of like the recurring "Previous of upcoming games - <month>" topic in the WIP section.

OjJP6YH.png

@sqrbt 

#102 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1609 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

TheUltimate suggested on the very first page that we list Jam games that received updates after their respective Jams. Perhaps TerraFriedSheep's new topic could keep this record -- and perhaps the listing would only need to include those entries whose creators' explicitly request to be listed (and of course actually updated said entries post-Jam, heh).

Edit: If we keep a list of what prizes were given, we can achieve a couple goals with some other tacked-on benefits, too.

Regards, $:^ J

Edited by ParodyKnaveBob, 23 July 2014 - 12:15 AM.

theUndiscovered ~ Brandon W. Horton ~ ParodyKnaveBob ~ $:^ J

#103 gamedadak

gamedadak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:40 AM

forgive me if this has already been mentioned:
a jam that takes place DURING the work week (mon-fri) not everyone has the "weekend" off. Ive considered jamming a few times but could not due to the days of the week!
I think a 5day jam would be better then these suggested 3+1day jams/ jam, then wait 3-4days and upload a polished version... ?! No!
JaM! Start to finnish! If youve created something worthy of further production, Great! Continue on, create a WIP, its now ..'just a game' the jam is over!
Also, why not have a jam participant subforum, where everyone has their own topic for their XX jam game, ya'll dev log, upload screenies, maybe after 3days upload an alpha/demo to get feedback (if desired) then polish and add/fix suggestions the final 2 days. Everyone has their own

#104 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

forgive me if this has already been mentioned:
a jam that takes place DURING the work week (mon-fri) not everyone has the "weekend" off. <Snipety Snap>

That is what I am doing, kind of!

The next jam will be the first ever Pre Jam Jam!

It will take place the week before the actual Jam, and I am working to make it as official(or as supported) as the full JAM.

The one in October, assuming I have the dates right, will start on Friday the 17th and run to Thursday the 23rd, or the day before the Jam.

Even though I live in the US, I'm still using GMT time.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#105 Lawsome

Lawsome

Not Lukasmah

• GMC Member
  • 271 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:12 AM

A mod should make having your AV turned into an emoticon as one of the prizes for the next jam.

Edited by Lawsome, 27 September 2014 - 10:15 AM.

ahahahha theyll never catch mee

#106 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

New rule suggestion - All GML must be entered using your toes. That should knock MOTG's type rate down to below 100 WPM (hopefully) ;)

#107 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

So, after being reminded about this topic in another heated discussion about voting systems, I'd like to present...

~ The Grand Voting Systems Overview ~

...where various voting system properties will be first introduced, and then specific systems listed, with their brief explanation and properties compliance.

Properties:
Spoiler

Specific systems:
Spoiler

That's it for now. Any questions?

Edited by Alice, 15 November 2014 - 10:59 AM.

LShy6C6.png

#108 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

How about having a "best concept" award for the game that has the most unique gameplay (such as Code Breakers from jam 16 or Crazy Texter from an earlier jam)?

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#109 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

I also suggest that best dev log is removed. Very few people actually vote for it, which results in many way ties. It just seems like nobody likes reading everyone's dev logs.

Aww, but I've won that one like four times. xD

(And totally not because only one person voted for it.)
iPqfGiP.png

#110 JackOatley

JackOatley

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:55 AM

While I like the idea of devlogs, I also think they shouldn't be voted on because it can't be done fairly, personally I'm going to vote for someone whom I actually follow and would have seen regardless of it being the best one.

Now if we actually had Journals on this site...  :whistle:

#111 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:30 AM

Hey, Gmc Jam 18 is going on and I think that there should be some additions to it when it has finally turned into an adult.
~Jam Awards~
The point of this suggestion is to get more jam awards than we have currently. I've a few ideas that I'd like to share:
GMC Jam Talkie: When I think that giving awards for games is good, I also think that there should be an award apart from those for games. Well, this award could be given to the person who contributes most to the discussion and behaves the best.

Now, I think that there should be more awards for games. I have some ideas for them, as well:

Best Jam Artist: The award could go to the one who does the best art for the game. Chosen through voting.

Best Jam Music: The award could go the one who does/puts the best music for the game. Chosen through voting.

Best Jam Story: The award could go to the game which has the best story. Chosen through voting.
----------------------------
That's it. They just came into my mind and I thought that they could be worth consideration. Should never hesitate when honouring someone... ;)

#112 JackOatley

JackOatley

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:09 PM

GMC Jam Talkie: When I think that giving awards for games is good, I also think that there should be an award apart from those for games. Well, this award could be given to the person who contributes most to the discussion and behaves the best.

When I took part in the GDN Week Of Awesome II jam thing, this was actually considered in the rankings. The more you took part in community discussion, the more points you'd get. That was a longer jam though.

So while I think it's a good idea, I'm skeptical about people trying to fulfill requirements other than actually just making their game, another reason I think devlogs shouldn't be voted on.

However, another thing I have found quite fun is doing a postmortem after the jam. Maybe this could take place after the jam for people who care about the making-of process and could be voted on it's own?

Again, this would all be easy peasy if WE HAD BLOODY JOURNALS!  <_<

#113 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:22 PM

There already is an unspoken competition to post the most here. Watch your back, 11clock.
iPqfGiP.png

#114 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:38 PM

Best Jam Artist: The award could go to the one who does the best art for the game. Chosen through voting.

Best Jam Music: The award could go the one who does/puts the best music for the game. Chosen through voting.

Best Jam Story: The award could go to the game which has the best story. Chosen through voting.
----------------------------

I actually really like this suggestion and I can barely think of a good reason not to have this in this upcoming jam. I'm a little worried that people would concentrate on only the art, music, or story and water down the game itself in the process but I don't even think that would be all that bad. Since these things only last 72 hours, experimentation with story, art, and music seems like a good thing with little negative impact unlike a full sized game. Honestly, some of my favorite jam games made me feel intense emotion, told a really strange and compelling story, or could take me places with its sound and visuals. Problem is, what stops someone from using music they didn't make to win the award?

r7sNbRa.png  (Nitemare38 = Otyugra)

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#115 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:25 AM

Then make it so the awards only go to original music/art/story? It'd probably have to be an honesty policy. It's often easy to tell if something is made under a time limit or if it's been taken from somewhere else (especially if the user has previously said, for example, that they can't make music).

EDIT: But I'm super in favour of these awards.

Edited by StewartB, 21 April 2015 - 02:25 AM.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#116 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

@StewartB - That's the reason that worries me, and I'm somewhat afraid about their implementation in the upcoming Jam. Although, they should be to award the best person in a category, people might cheat or may only concerntrate on any of the art, music or the story, rather than the whole game. People would have to be honest, I'm afraid. If they use pre-made resources, they should tell the community. Well, that depends on the honesty of a person.
@Nitemare38 - Well, as I mentioned, the music award shall go to the person who makes/puts the best music in the game. So, it shouldn't be a problem. People may use whatever music resource they want to. The main concern is about the art. It is kinda hard to find out, whether the art is selfmade or taken from some source. Revealing the secret behind the art must be done honestly told by the game creator...
We can get those awards to the stage, if all the people promise to be honest about what they've got, or we'd have to modify the awards' condition, that I won't like to do. I'll be interested in hearing from people, about making these awards cheat-free and secure, at the end.

#117 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1609 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:00 PM

Frankly, the games themselves are on the honor system. Q: What stops me from starting a game now and plugging it into the Jam three months later? A: My own integrity -- certainly not the GMC Police. Therefore, there's no real difference in the other resources being on the honor system as well, right? Really, even without a reward, the visual/aural resources are already on the honor system along with the code and design of the game...

Regards,

#118 amosmyn

amosmyn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 60 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:33 PM

Any chance we could get the Secret Word to be judged based on the guess that players had instead of an actual defined secret word?
Or just remove it? Its fun, but its definitely the most arbitrary of all rewards and as people have probably noticed it didnt do much for this year's jam.

Also a Best Multiplayer Component category would be pretty cool considering multiplayer games probably wont receive the same recognition as single player titles due to a lack of people having friends handy to test/review them with.

The way the jam currently is, there's not a big motivation to make multiplayer titles because people simply wont play them.

aka amosmyn

#119 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

@secret word: kinda agree that people don't really pay much attention to it. Also, with some people deciding to include secret word in ratings, and some even giving full score only when the author got the word right, it seems to be more of a nuisance than addition. Not a major pain, but still a nuisance.

@multiplayer component: I'd rather not... Multiplayer games in general require more setup, more testing and all those things taking time that would otherwise be spent or making higher quality core game. I guess it could possibly work within larger timespan (say, a week?), but in such a short time where every hour matters I'd rather have people focusing on whatever sort of gameplay they came up with (single player or not) rather than multiplayer features.

(not to mention reviewing multiplayer games is quite troublesome with no one to play the game with)

Edited by Alice, 03 May 2015 - 07:55 PM.

LShy6C6.png

#120 GVmakesGames

GVmakesGames

rhythm huh?

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

(not to mention reviewing multiplayer games is quite troublesome with no one to play the game with)

And so Alice cried all night in her bed.

Jokes apart, yeah, I think multiplayer games are harder to review and MUCH harder to make for a game jam like ours.

For the Secret Word, it could still be considered a cool addition, but I see how basically nobody cares anymore, including me.

Edited by GVmakesGames, 03 May 2015 - 08:17 PM.

just another indie game developer, this time agoraphobic.

Twitter | My Blog | Youtube | Steam | GameJolt | Itch.ioIndieDB | Ask.fm | reddit | MyAnimeList | osu! | WINGverse

GVmG.gif twitch_emoticon___wutface_by_centaurman_

image4.png?uid=6995159&m=0

#121 the ch8t

the ch8t

FlameFrog Games

• GMC Member
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:27 PM

On the multiplayer issue, we should start a multiplayer jam. I love multiplayer games, especially local multiplayer games. And if we made a jam dedicated to multiplayer, people would know what to expect when playing through the games.

Would anyone be interested in this? I would take the time to moderate and set everything up.

EDIT: to clarify, I'm not asking for this to be part of THE jam, just wondering if anyone would be interested if I made a jam for this.

Edited by the ch8t, 03 May 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#122 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1609 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:28 PM

When I reviewed and rated last year for a Jam, I took the Secret Word into account. I in no way judged for correctness. I purely judged on creativity and substance of the guess's inclusion.

I agree that rating based on correctness really ought to be nixed -- but then I think of NAL giving chance bonus points based on a random number generator (a.k.a. chance), ho boy. Anyway, yeah, jokes aside, rating based on accuracy of guess is too arbitrary and random in my book...

...but rating based on how much the creator(s) infused a guess into an entry -- how much the guess is integrated and in what way it's presented etc. -- is good stuff. Reward the attempt -- not the random rightness. $:^ )

Regards,

#123 GVmakesGames

GVmakesGames

rhythm huh?

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

On the multiplayer issue, we should start a multiplayer jam. I love multiplayer games, especially local multiplayer games. And if we made a jam dedicated to multiplayer, people would know what to expect when playing through the games.

Would anyone be interested in this? I would take the time to moderate and set everything up.

EDIT: to clarify, I'm not asking for this to be part of THE jam, just wondering if anyone would be interested if I made a jam for this.

I'd love to join if I knew anything about multiplayer games other than they are divided in server.side and client.side.

just another indie game developer, this time agoraphobic.

Twitter | My Blog | Youtube | Steam | GameJolt | Itch.ioIndieDB | Ask.fm | reddit | MyAnimeList | osu! | WINGverse

GVmG.gif twitch_emoticon___wutface_by_centaurman_

image4.png?uid=6995159&m=0

#124 the ch8t

the ch8t

FlameFrog Games

• GMC Member
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

@GV you could always make a local multiplayer game.

Also, I liked PKB's points about secret word. Personally, I don't give points for theme, handicap, or secret word. I like to see it, but a good game is more important to me. I think that the theme and handicap (and secret word) just give something to think about. It's a good exercise for devs to make something with a more specific prompt than just "make something, will ya?"

#125 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:30 PM

I don't give points for theme, handicap, or secret word. I like to see it, but a good game is more important to me.   I think that the theme and handicap (and secret word) just give something to think about.   It's a good exercise for devs to make something with a more specific prompt than just "make something, will ya?"

Each of us can vote how we choose.  Participants aren't forced to follow the theme, and voters don't have to use it in their scoring.   

But to me, the theme is the most essential feature of the Jam.   It provides a measure of how well competitors think on their feet.    It also encourages everyone to create something within the 72-hour limit.

Just my point of view.   The Jam allows participants and voters to do whatever they want.   And that's how it should be.

#126 amosmyn

amosmyn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 60 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

Multiplayer jam yes.

Im personally a huge fan of games I can enjoy on the couch with friends to the extent that I play maybe.. Two or three single player only titles a year versus a dozen or so favourites I can also play with friends?

I really think the social aspect of multiplayer is amazing. If such a major style of game cannot be incorporated into the jam I'd definitely wish for there to be a (annual?) multiplayer jam to give those interested in making an attempt at such a game a welcome opprotunity to do so.

aka amosmyn

#127 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:01 PM

I like to take the theme into consideration as well. It doesn't have nearly as much weight on my votes as, say, creativity and gameplay, but it does have some. It's the main point of the Jam: Theme and handicap are revealed, everybody makes a game based on that. And sometimes you get a really creative game where the idea would only come up after you know the theme.

A multiplayer Jam would be cool. It should probably last a bit longer than 72 hours though, those kinds of games take way longer to make and balance.

Also, I don't think I've ever been able to spark a discussion on this in past Jams, but because this topic seems to be active again... what do you think about having a separate reward/banner thing for stuff like the most creative idea, best first-time entry, etc.? One thing that's always bothered me about the Jam is that it usually favours how fun the game is, and it can be very hard for people to try something different and succeed. There's that trade-off between polish/completeness and taking risks to try something different. The Jam's supposed to be about experimentation and the community so why not have something for that, right?

Edited by TheUltimate, 03 May 2015 - 11:08 PM.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#128 Monstr Gaming

Monstr Gaming

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:16 PM

I would definitely support a multiplayer jam. The games I enjoy playing are generally multiplayer orientated.

When I'm making games professionally I'd really love to be making multiplayer games, a GameMaker jam would be a nice place to practice.

youtube.png

#129 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:09 AM

Can we bring back "best use of theme"?

I put a lot of work into fitting the theme the last couple of jams and I hate not having a way to possibly be rewarded for it.

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#130 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

Agree.

Changed the recommended review/vote format:

----------

My votes go to

1st Place - name of the game - author
2nd Place - name of the game - author
3rd Place - name of the game - author
etc...

Best Use Of Theme - author

Best Use of Handicap - author

Best Use of Secret Word - author

Best Presentation - author
Best Devblog - author

Best Use of Hidden Potato - author

----------

Also... yeah multiplayer thing would be sweet... :)

I'll see what I can do about that...

Edited by dadio, 07 May 2015 - 08:59 AM.

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#131 the ch8t

the ch8t

FlameFrog Games

• GMC Member
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

Just threw up a multiplayer jam discussion/statement of interest topic:

http://gmc.yoyogames...06#entry4800741

We could probably discuss multiplayer jam there and go back to discussing GMC JAM here

#132 Misu

Misu

Awesometasticness!

• GMC Member
  • 691 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

Lately the Jam has gotten me bugged a bit and I wish for some improvements for the next time. Here is what I have to say:

1. I notice many voters treat the hype word as a requisite for score when in reality its only an exception. Either it is requisite or not, the fact that the hype word is treated as a requisite for score is not a good thing. It makes it demanding for the creator of their entry to be something specific, limiting creativity and possibilities. I'm not saying we should eliminate this because this is something that many people are hype about. What I suggest is that to make sure voters don't treat the hype word as a requisite but do rather treat it as a bonus point instead. So that way, voting makes fair and people have the will to choose whether they prefer to do the hype word or not. 

2. I notice that the last Jam, many players had a huge advantage on making big improvements to their entries because the Game Topic wasn't closed when it was suppose to, giving them extra time while others who do follow the rules didn't dare take that risk. I find this a little unfair and I suggest that for the next time to make it more punctual as it suppose to be. 

#133 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:01 AM

Yeah I agree with both.

(Could have sworn I had written something about the hype theme shouldn't count towards scores/votes, might have deleted that at some point, or I'm just dreaming).

1. I've always thought the weighting should be (out of 10):

7 - Theme

3 - Handicap

OR

6 - Theme

3 - Handicap

1 - Hype

(if people insist on scoring it)

I'll include something like this in the next Jam's voting topic.

2. Yes, the next Jam is going to have a proper, hard deadline. Everyone - you have been warned! :ph34r:

I advise the usual straggers to assume the Jam ends 6 hours earlier than usual & have it finished by then & use the remaining 6 hours to upload the game & test/fix bugs.

There will be quite a few changes next Jam. :)

Edited by dadio, 16 November 2015 - 09:03 AM.

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#134 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:29 AM

As for proper, hard deadlines and general organisation: what if the next Jam would be coordinated by two people instead of one, i.e. leader and backup? That way if the leader has unexpected troubles and can't e.g. announce the theme, close topic on time or assemble ZIP, the backup might step in and do that in the leader's stead. In fact, things like that were happening before (e.g. when NAL was opening the Jam for NAL), but I think it could be a general practice (and if backup is chosen beforehand, they don't need to be asked by leader specifically).

LShy6C6.png

#135 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:04 AM

Yeah that's a good idea.

Alice, would you want to be the "backup"?

Next Jam is going to have a pile of rule changes & have strict opening & deadline times & voting times.

I'm also gonna be dialing down the "crazy randomness" (because quite a few of you didn't like that).

Hopefully, all the changes will make for a better experience for everyone. :)

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#136 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:01 AM

Well, I guess I could handle being the "backup", though it means I'd need proper permissions in the Jam area (i.e. starting/pinning/closing topics and removing posts for games & voting topic cleaning from unneeded posts, such as "reserved"; I guess that's enough?). Technically speaking, it might be a safer bet to pick someone who already has these permissions as Global Moderator, but if you don't mind granting me these permissions, I'm more than willing to help. ^^

As for the "crazy randomness": I think the trouble was more in the "randomness" part than "crazy" part; i.e. all that tricking around with the theme caused people to stop caring because things became completely unpredictable. Earlier, when theme letters were revealed, one could not know the theme but at least they could trust that it has specific letters on specific position. In this case there was a list of themes, but after adding the WILD PICNIC and then having all that letter-by-letter removal we just didn't know what are the rules anymore. It was like coming for a party of chess to find oneself playing Twister.

I think the craze isn't too bad every once in a while, and probably serves good to power up the hype, though I agree with the point in your discussion topic post that we could step down a bit with local memes (e.g. dadio or Nocturne related, as you two seem to appear the most often). At the same time, sticking to hype object should be fine; after all, it's what the hype object is for. ^^"

(oh, by the way, speaking of strict deadline: I take that one-hour grace period for last minute bugfixes, panicked recompilation to not-an-installer and uploading struggle still applies?)

LShy6C6.png

#137 Misu

Misu

Awesometasticness!

• GMC Member
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

Yeah I agree with both.

(Could have sworn I had written something about the hype theme shouldn't count towards scores/votes, might have deleted that at some point, or I'm just dreaming).

1. I've always thought the weighting should be (out of 10):

7 - Theme

3 - Handicap

OR

6 - Theme

3 - Handicap

1 - Hype

(if people insist on scoring it)

If it was me, I would prefer just Theme and Handicap but I believe its best to have a vote from the members. You can start a poll on this to see what they prefer most.

#138 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

Just gonna throw in my two cents here.

GMC JAM New Rules going forward

• You *must* include a proper link to your game. (not just a GameJolt/Itch.io link) I assume this is a convenience for the guy making the zip, so no complaints here.
  • You must have a post count of at least 10 for your votes to count. (Please introduce yourself & join in on the GMC Jam discussion topic) Hm... is this really such a problem? I haven't noticed much voter fraud, so this seems like it's trying to fix a phantom issue.
  • You must still be active on the forums after the Jam ends for your votes to count. (No voting for a friend & then never again being involved in the community). See above.
  • 1st Place gets to choose *3* Possible Themes. (These 3 are kept secret as usual. But then in the last 24 hours before Jam starts, we all *vote* on our favorite from these 3 & the one with the most votes becomes the Theme.) I'm not sure how this will work out but I'm definitely interested in trying it. My only concern is that it slightly devalues winning the Jam since you don't have as much control.
  • Deadline time will be precise. (Anyone who submits via PM, after the deadline, will be placed in a separate folder of shame - "Late Entries" in the Jam zip, making their entry less likely to be played & more likely to be judged harshly - so *get your entry in on time*) I don't have a problem with this, as long as late entries are still taken for a bit.

iPqfGiP.png

#139 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

The 10 vote & community active thing only reared its head *this* Jam (I'm pretty sure in earlier Jams, we had something about minimum post counts etc, but it got dropped because no-one did it).

(ie: C.B.Productions votes *will* count this Jam, but those kind of votes won't count in future Jams).

He only has 4 posts & hasn't been active since the Jam ended.

I want to avoid those kind of votes & result skews from now on.

Deadline precision:

There will be the stated deadline + just 1 hour grace period beyond that (only because of the usual hoopla over UK time vs GMT time/Summer time confusion, I don't want anyone to feel like they thought they had 1 more hour, or any excuses).

The topic will lock at 1AM UK time on Tuesday.

Anything submitted via PM after that time (even by 1 minute) - meaning you were 1 hour & 1 minute late - will go into the "late entry" folder.

I will also state all this very clearly at the Jam start & advise people to *finish* their entry & *submit it* no later than 1 hour before deadline. And use the remaining hour for testing/bug fixes/re-submission, to avoid those "last minute scrambles & "my upload speed is slow" situations.

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#140 Diptoman

Diptoman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1906 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

• Teams will be restricted to just *pairs*. (Some teams were *very* large in Jam 20. Large team sizes are reducing the total game entry count too much. Pairs only lets each person shine more).
I don't like this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was like just 1 huge team this time? If they're forced to be in pairs, that'd increase the number of entries by maybe... 2? Or it may turn people off because they're not confident enough/has specific skillsets. Like my other teammates are art and audio guys (and not active on the forums) - they'd just stop participating with this rule. And the total number of entries increased a lot this jam, so I don't see how it's a big problem.

#141 Sammi3

Sammi3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:57 PM

• Teams will be restricted to just *pairs*. (Some teams were *very* large in Jam 20. Large team sizes are reducing the total game entry count too much. Pairs only lets each person shine more).
I don't like this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was like just 1 huge team this time? If they're forced to be in pairs, that'd increase the number of entries by maybe... 2? Or it may turn people off because they're not confident enough/has specific skillsets. Like my other teammates are art and audio guys (and not active on the forums) - they'd just stop participating with this rule. And the total number of entries increased a lot this jam, so I don't see how it's a big problem.

I agree. I think it should at least be 3 so that you can get an art guy, sound guy and a programmer which is the basics of any team.

Also, what validates as a team? I'm assuming it only counts for members inside the GMC? Like I could still get art and music from various authors outside the GMC still right?

#142 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:07 PM

Fair enough. Maybe a cap of 3 per team would do the trick. Mostly, I just want to avoid 5 man teams going forward. :)

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#143 DiligentDodo

DiligentDodo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:09 PM

Interesting I was wrestling with how to compare games made in a team versus solo entries.

It sounds unfair to solo acts that have to juggle all three hats to be compared to teams where a person can specialize in each.

Spoiler

tumblr_nwwn7dGdDg1qkk2jjo2_r1_250.png

#144 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:34 PM

Yep.

It is a problem.

The counter-argument is "it's hard to co-ordinate with many people in different time-zones & create something consistent"... which is true...

but yeah, I tend to agree that teams have an advantage (especially teams of say 2 well known/experienced people working together *or* teams of 3 people with specific skills sets that all live in the same area).

I'm not sure how to solve the problem without excluding people or forcing people to enter by themselves or putting off certain people from entering.

Maybe there isn't a solution & it's ok as it is.

Like I say tho, I at least wanna avoid huge 5 man teams, that's a bit crazy. :)

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#145 Diptoman

Diptoman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1906 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:09 AM

Interesting I was wrestling with how to compare games made in a team versus solo entries.

It sounds unfair to solo acts that have to juggle all three hats to be compared to teams where a person can specialize in each.

I don't understand this. No one's stopping anyone from creating a team. Until the jam decides to go the LD48 way to restrict to one participant, working solo is a self-imposed restriction.

And in all honesty, apart from well-formed existing teams (like ours, because I've been making stuff with the same team for years now, so we're very used to our process) - teams by people made before the jam randomly almost never have an advantage. Try working in a team and agreeing on/co-ordinating things in such a short time-frame - you'll know. It gets worse (not easier) with more teammates, and even worse with different timezones. I've participated in onsite game jams teaming up with random people I didn't know before, and the end-product almost never turned out better than what we would've had individually or in a set team (heck, there was this one time one of our jam games had 3 different art styles because we had 3 artists in the team and nobody was familiar with or could copy each others' art styles).

So yes, while I agree teams like mine can have certain advantages (although honestly, co-ordinating with 3 timezones 12 hours apart is no easy task), I cannot agree that other teams which form just before the jam for the jam can have any advantage over solo participants.

But that's just my 2 cents. :)

Edited by Diptoman, 18 November 2015 - 03:12 AM.

#146 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:16 AM

(although honestly, co-ordinating with 3 timezones 12 hours apart is no easy task)

I'd have thought the same thing, but Hiz and I had never worked together before the Jam and we scored better than any game I've ever submitted solo (and I think better than any of his solo games, too, but I can't be sure of that).
iPqfGiP.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chat, gmcjam