#1 UKDutyPaid

UKDutyPaid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 254 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

gamelogo.png

Made for the GMC Jam 14 - Achieved 5th Place! Thanks for the votes!

Game Name: remember, dummy!
Category: platform puzzler
File Size: 5.6mb
GM Version: GM:S
Screen Resolution: 1280x1024 fixed
Multiplyer: no

DOWNLOADS:
ORIGINAL JAM ENTRY
Version 1.1 - fixes a bug that allowed you to use tools when stunned.

REVIEWS:
Big emphasis on the theme, very good graphics, well scripted and executed platformer in general. Well crafted! - ghandpivot

Very well made game. I had a lot of fun with this. Great work! - turgon

This game is amazing! The platforming is perfect, and the way you have to remember the layouts is pure genius! - LukanSpellwaeaver

This is a great use of theme in an innovative platform game. Overall, this is well made and it feels complete and nicely polished. - Chance

Jam "Great Design Award" - DetectivePixel

I really liked the concept of this game! - AlaskaGames

Screenshots:

Spoiler

remember, dummy! is a puzzle-platformer game about being a dummy and trying to remember things... namely the layout of the levels!
At the beginning of each level you can see all the platforms, but once you start your run they all become invisible so you have to navigate them by memory.  The idea is to get from the start to the finish in the quickest possible time.  But you also have some handy gadgets to aid you: The Spray Gun, Paint Bombs and Burst Rockets which will cover the invisible platforms in paint for a short time, helping you see where you have to go.

Features:-
-Simple, yet pleasing graphics and animations
-8 levels increasing in difficulty
-High Score system (or rather lowest time system!)
-Basic sound effects (with full Alice support)
-Tutorial

This is my first Jam entry and my first ever platformer, so I hope you enjoy!
UKDP

Edited by UKDutyPaid, 17 May 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#2 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

Alright, when I was about to play that game, I didn't really expect much. Perhaps that was caused by initial impression the menu gave - while I didn't really think about it much at that time, it felt somewhat... clunky, somewhat... unproffesional. Now that I'm reviewing "Remember, Dummy!", I paid more attention and I'm guessing this impression was caused by inconsistency. Specifically, the background is rather simple-coloured, with only slight hint of gradient, which contrasts with more graphically complex title and dummies; additionally, after proceeding to tutorial one might notice the tool buttons that look completely different than navigation ones (I prefer the style of tool buttons, by the way). Well, at least it's pretty nice the game has a tutorial with all proper explanation, introducing the twist on typical platformer with a SURPRISE! Oh, and that there are tools that can help mark the invisible platforms. Because, well, the twist is that the platforms become invisible after leaving the starting point. Just in case anyone was wondering. ^^"

Either way, I decided that I ain't no dummy and don't need any tools, thus proceeding to hardcore mode immediately. Well, no tools but one - a mouse cursor I can place on some important spot before the whole map disappears; once I realised that, I found it to be quite helpful. And so I jumped around, having roughly memorised the elements placement, and kept repeating levels because jumping on these invisible platform wasn't easy (especially with some extent of inertia, making the game slightly tricky even if it was played on visible platforms), and found joy in it, since the game was fun indeed! Leaving menu and buttons inconsistencies aside, the graphics are quite well made, the dummies are somewhat adorable and the gameplay is quite challenging, but not in too annoying way. Also, I found the dummy getting stunned for a few seconds from falling too much to be a nice touch (that face they make XD); that way taking shortcuts and skipping a few blocks is likely to result in slower completion of level, which is quite important in timed game.
Yet I feel there's something missing. I feel like some sort of medals, achievements or other kinds of rewards would work well in that sort of game (e.g. each level could have medals associated with given time). Also, while three different difficulties make a nice filler in the menu, I feel like it could have been handled differently - make it so that usage of tools beyond given limit makes a level rating lower (any tool from hardcore to normal, enough tools from normal to dummy); also, it would make sense for time result to "leak" from better level ratings to worse. As in, if someone had better time on hardcore than on normal and dummy, both of these would be replaced; that's because any accomplishment in hardcore mode is by definition possible in any other (what's the difference between not using tools because of not having them, and not using tools because of not needing them?).

Still, that game is one of the more entertaining entries out there. Great job! ;)

Use of Theme: straightforward
Use of Handicap: existent
Pros: challenging; entertaining; well-designed gameplay
Cons: a bit too large inertia; some graphical inconsistency; could use some rewards
In a nutshell: While premise is rather simple, I found the game very enjoyable.

Edited by Alice, 13 May 2014 - 07:34 PM.

LShy6C6.png

#3 UKDutyPaid

UKDutyPaid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

remember, dummy! achieved 5th place!  Thanks for all the votes people, much appreciated.

Cheers for the detailed review, Alice, here are all the other Jam reviews...

The choice bits:

ghandpivot:
Big emphasis on the theme, very good graphics, well scripted and executed platformer in general. It was not going to end up in the first place, but on my second run I found out about the powerups by playing the tutorial, which gave the game a whole new level of depth. Well crafted!

turgon:
Very well made game. I had a lot of fun with this. My favorite part is the well thought out 3 tools. Great use of theme in a creative way and good sound effects as well. Great work!

LukanSpellwaeaver:
This game is amazing! So amazing, it is one of the only two games to warrant me using Google to find perfect representation of my awe for a game. The platforming is perfect, and the way you have to remember the layouts is pure genius! The fact that you give plentiful aids on the easier difficulties is good, as I have a not so good flash memory, but this game is fantastic despite my bad memory! The animations are nice, and the Theme and Handicap are met. Good show sir!

Chance:
This is a great use of theme in an innovative platform game.  The controls were easy, so it kept the focus on memorizing each level's layout and finding the finish.   The level of difficulty seems about right.  Overall, this is well made and it feels complete and nicely polished.

DetectivePixel:
Jam "Great Design Award"

AlaskaGames:
I really liked the concept of this game! The graphics were very pleasing to my eyes, and the concept was awesome! Great job!

And for sake of completeness and transparency, here are all the the other reviews:

Spoiler

Edited by UKDutyPaid, 17 May 2014 - 04:14 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, platformer, puzzle, 2d, arcade