Platform: Windows
                          Windowed/Fullscreen - No changes to resolution

shot2_zpsa96e2054.png

"Mabi Vs The Black Tome (Everything Wants Me Dead)"
https://www.youtube....h?v=RBM8c7BYtyM

Download: https://www.dropbox....lack_tome12.rar
Size: 18.61mb
File-type: Compressed Archive (.rar)

The difficulty balance is most likely way off right now, so besides general feedback, I'm also interested in your 'Demo Cleared'-screens.
So if you have the time, link to a screenshot in your post or just type your results. (I only really need the numbers of items used.)

I hope you enjoy the demo.

Alpha 1.2:

• -The player character now makes comments about his state of mind.
  • -Two new (minor) sanity effects.
  • -Made cigarettes a little stronger.
  • -Made the suitcase code less obvious.
  • -Rewrote weapon switching.
  • -Nicer flashlight cone. (Source: CBNA SmartLight - link in credits.)
  • -Added a map item.
  • -Optimized some stuff to keep the FPS stable.
  • -Made morphine restore a bit more health. Same for Medkits.
  • -Enemies now 'recoil' when hit with melee weapons. (Like they did with bullets.)
  • -Added 'Window' and 'Boarded Window' -captions.
  • +Some other small tweaks, additions, places and stuff.

Edited by JTR, 02 June 2014 - 08:31 AM.

"One man's constant is another man's variable." - Alan Perlis
The Black Tome

#2 miiqaw

miiqaw

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

I didn't finish the game yet so I don't have a 'Demo Cleared'-screen to give, but all time I played that game, i enjoyed every second and that's the reason why I could wish you success with that game! A small challeng and fun for a various moments!  :thanks:  :thumbsup:  ;)

Keep the flag flying dude!  :woot:

#3 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

I love how the screenshot has "whiskey" in it. Maybe you can also add a wine object for us classy/civilized folk. :D

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#4 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

miiqaw

Nice to hear you're liking it. :thumbsup:

And thanks for being the first commenter!

theweirdn8
What kind of wine would you prefer? And how about cigars?

Edited by JTR, 01 June 2014 - 08:48 PM.

The Black Tome

#5 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

All types from white to dark.

Also, I'm no a cigar guy.

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#6 JamesPotku

JamesPotku

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

Always nice to get positive feedback.

Yet here we wait in excitement for those Demo Cleared screens! Balancing will be easier when we have those useful stats, I'd imagine. If only it showed the amount of deaths... Maybe reconsider the way the save system works so we could get access to those hidden stats as well. Just a simple respawn system that doesn't actually lose any information when resetting back to the previous state. Then again, maybe it's not that simple... I'm just the graphics guy, what do I know.

#7 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:21 AM

We have a map. How's it looking?
05b3536f31.png

Edited by JTR, 01 June 2014 - 08:40 PM.

The Black Tome

#8 Coffee

Coffee

Light and Sweet

• GMC Member
  • 2351 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

Wow, really great game so far. At first I was like, meh, look's like another cheap zombie game, but I was pleasantly surprised. The gameplay was really smooth and solid, right down to the AI, and the puzzle aspect reminds me a lot of Resident evil or Silent Hill. Good job making this game feel mysterious and spooky, some random unexplainable background noises would add some more ambiance to the game, like dogs howling or owls hooting, but the flashlight does help. My one problem with the gameplay really, is not being able to pick up the enemy's gun, just their ammo. I know this might make the player too op, but it's unrealistic in an annoying kind of way for me, always was when games did this. Perhaps switch the gun to melee weapons for the enemies. The sounds were great and not too distracting either, and did a good job complimenting the game. I do wish you would zoom in a bit, kind of hard to see even in fullscreen, I felt like I had to strain my eyes just to see if my knife swinging was close enough to hit without getting hit myself. Also, as an item suggestion, you should add a lantern, same as flashlight only a small round light area. The AI is good, they never got stuck or went in a circle, but perhaps make them not so simple, for example, the rats shouldn't always move just straight to you, but try to surround you to sort of say, like take a round path instead of a straight one, that way in numbers they become harder to attack and can actually pose a challange. A good example is Left4Dead's zombie AI, they kind of ran around you first and then attacked you from multiple sides. Great game so, and would definitely download again for next update, can't wait to see what else you add. 10/10

Edited by Coffee, 02 April 2014 - 09:44 AM.

vmh.png Come Play Hungry Hungry Frogs!

#9 JamesPotku

JamesPotku

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Coffee! Glad you enjoyed it!

Whether the cultists should drop their weapons upon dying is something we've been going back and forth about, but in the end I think you're right. It's quite unrealistic the way it is. The AI of the enemies is something we're hoping to focus on when we're happy with the main mechanics. There are definitely plans of leaping dogs, flanking critters and smarter foes in general. Ideally, the Ghoul should be the only enemy to simply waddle towards the general direction of the player.

By the way, yes, the puzzles are very much inspired by games such as Silent Hill. Cool how you noticed. :)

Keep an eye out for the update!

-James, Co-Designer

#10 Sebas109

Sebas109

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

This is the greatest game i played so far, it is so nice. I like the graphics so nice! The way you can smoke a cigarette, amazing game!

#11 Sebas109

Sebas109

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

One problem, i don't know if you guys have it too. But sometimes the screen turns.

Edited by Sebas109, 03 April 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#12 Coffee

Coffee

Light and Sweet

• GMC Member
  • 2351 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

One problem, i don't know if you guys have it too. But sometimes the screen turns.

You should really just use the Edit button instead of double posting, yes I know, you're sorry and you're new lol.

As for the screen turning, you should it wasn't cause you used the whiskey?

vmh.png Come Play Hungry Hungry Frogs!

#13 Sebas109

Sebas109

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

You should really just use the Edit button instead of double posting, yes I know, you're sorry and you're new lol.

As for the screen turning, you should it wasn't cause you used the whiskey?

It was other then drinking the whiskey, the screen of the hole game turned 360°

#14 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

The rotating screen is a consequence of the player character's deteriorating mental health.
I've made the system less confusing in 1.2 by making the character comment on his mental state now and then.

The Black Tome

#15 Sebas109

Sebas109

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

The rotating screen is a consequence of the player character's deteriorating mental health.
I've made the system less confusing in 1.2 by making the character comment on his mental state now and then.

Okay thanks for the reaction! I tough it was a problem of my computer :P

#16 miiqaw

miiqaw

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

Oh god this game! :3 Great game! Awesome game! Thumbs up for the authors! There are not a way to be disappointed after testing this brilliant invention!  :turned:

Hello Comrades!! If you visit this page, please... DO. NOT. MISS. OUT. TO. TEST. THIS. GAME !  ;)  :pirate:

#17 Panzergeist

Panzergeist

Insane Box Man

• GMC Member
  • 1241 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

Wow, that was really cool! I really loved the FOV shadows! How when you walk inside a building you can only see outside windows and when you are outside you can only see inside windows. Reminded me a lot of silent hill! Definitely will be following the progress of this game as I love games of this style.

Well done!

[ ._.]> Where am I...

#18 !nfexious

!nfexious

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:45 AM

This game's really cool I'm looking forward to playing it when it comes out, the only thing id wish is to play it full screen on a wide screen laptop but whatever the game still looks really awesome I just finished watching the review youtube video.

#19 novaz

novaz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

very good work :) I hope you make tomb robber 2

#20 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

eye12_zps2b563325.jpg

Re-uploaded v1.2 (Fixed: a room near the end of the demo was set to run at 60fps)

Edited by JTR, 02 June 2014 - 08:35 AM.

The Black Tome

#21 Excalibur333

Excalibur333

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 462 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

I love the graphics. This is looking really good so far.

OsRsy9m.png pqe3LGj.png

#22 JamesPotku

JamesPotku

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

Excalibur333

Thank you sir! Your videos are great by the way, I admire your art style. Grain War is looking good as well!

#23 Repix

Repix

Goodbye!

• GMC:Member
  • 816 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:13 AM

Holy **** i love this game, the way things happen, Smoking (has an effect instead of those boring 1 second pfff sound effects) 

Game progression is probably the best part of this game.

If a full version is going to be released i'll make sure to play all of it.

I'll even make some Playtrough videos.

Take the pistol, aim the front towards yourself, pull the trigger, why? because it's not a prank gun no longer.

#24 JamesPotku

JamesPotku

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:21 AM

HandsomeGuy

We're glad you enjoyed it! Some people like the game progression, while others hate it.

We would be flattered if you or anyone else wants to make playthrough videos of it! Be sure to link us the videos when they're done so you can be credited. :)

#25 AbandondTruth

AbandondTruth

GMC Member

• 4 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

nnn

Edited by AbandondTruth, 19 September 2014 - 11:33 PM.

#26 AbandondTruth

AbandondTruth

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:32 PM

how in the world do you get past the begining? the dogs are too hard even with steel pipe cuz i dont know controls and only sometimes does it swing wtf

#27 AbandondTruth

AbandondTruth

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

honestly how the hell do you play this game?! 3 minutes into the game and the WTF levels are at maximum, this game looks amazing and i have heard only good of it but what are the controls, and why is the steel pipe in the beginning so buggy? i hold the left mouse button to swing and it does so fine, then i go up to the dogs and all of a sudden the player refuses to swing?? is it a stamina system? i woulnt know. i couldnt get the pipe to swing until 1 minute after and some random dude starts to shoot at me and i was able to swing once, i have seriously died 15 times, everytime i start i new save i die from the dogs and have to restart, how do you even save? im totally confused and need some major tutorial from the developer on this game please

#28 AbandondTruth

AbandondTruth

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

edit: alright i admit i feel like an all-out retard. I found out the controls from the note thingy but still have bug problems with pipe and how to get it to swing constantly, i get it to swing once or twice in a row, then it doesnt swing and i cant get it to swing again

#29 Repix

Repix

Goodbye!

• GMC:Member
  • 816 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

^^^^^^When you edit, use the "edit" button instead^^^^^^

Edited by HandsomeGuy, 20 September 2014 - 10:48 AM.

Take the pistol, aim the front towards yourself, pull the trigger, why? because it's not a prank gun no longer.

#30 JamesPotku

JamesPotku

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:13 PM

AbandondTruth

Sorry for the late reply, but I don't know what to tell you; I was unable to recreate any sort of issue relating to the pipe. Holding the mouse button swings repeatedly without stopping, and even clicking furiously doesn't bug it out in any way. There's no stamina system that could be causing the problem. Could the problem be on your end? Let us know if you want to describe more accurately what caused the problem to happen, and we'll look into it. Thanks!

PS: If finding the controls was challenging enough, I'd like to see you figure out the rest of the puzzles that the game has in store for you! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, tds, alpha