88 replies to this topic

#1 James.Foreman

James.Foreman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

Are you an aspiring game designer, artist or programmer looking to for a way to take your work to the next level? Become a Pro and take advantage of our GameMaker: Studio Professional sale!

For a limited time YoYo Games is giving all GameMaker: Studio Standard users the chance to upgrade to GameMaker: Studio Professional for only $35.00!

If you don't already own a copy of GameMaker: Studio, for a limited time, you can now get your own GameMaker: Studio Standard license, completely free!

For more information visit: http://www.yoyogames...promotions/sale

Edited by James.Foreman, 21 February 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#2 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

I knew there was going to be a sale when I saw James on the forums! COOL!

EDIT: Both products are still listed at full price. I even continued into the buying process, and it stays at $49.99 and $99.99.

EDIT EDIT:

If you don't already own a copy of GameMaker: Studio, for a limited time, you can now get your own GameMaker: Studio Standard license, completely free! To get your copy of GameMaker: Studio Standard simply download the Free Version and follow the instructions that appear inside.

Ahh Didn't see that little bit of tid.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 21 February 2014 - 08:22 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#3 Spyker

Spyker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

I'm trying to get my friend to get this, however on the "Buy" page Standard is still $50. How does one get their free Standard license key?

Edit: Derp, would probably help if I read the whole thing  :pinch:

To get your copy of GameMaker: Studio Standard simply download the Free Version and follow the instructions that appear inside

Edited by Spyker, 21 February 2014 - 08:28 PM.

Check out Night Bike for Android and iOS!

2j2wyvk.png

Curious on how to code in other languages? I highly recommend you check out Team Tree house. You'll learn a lot of skills and methods that will help with GameMaker, and you can learn how to code things to work with your game (websites, databases, etc). There are tons of small courses that range from beginner to advanced.

#4 Spiky729

Spiky729

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 24 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

I only got email asking me to subscribe, but no license key. Dunno if I am missing something or ...

#5 Cluly

Cluly

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

EDIT : It's just slow ...

Edited by Cluly, 21 February 2014 - 10:27 PM.

#6 Spiky729

Spiky729

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

I got my license now, but took like 15 minutes, so be patient I guess

#7 Tranz3d

Tranz3d

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

Does this mean that I can get the free version of standard, and then upgrade to pro for $35 or does it only apply if I've already bought the standard version previously? 

#8 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:52 AM

You can get full Standard free, then/and/or upgrade that or an existing Standard license to Pro for $35 US dollars(or your country's equivalent.)

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 22 February 2014 - 12:52 AM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#9 SpudBug

SpudBug

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

I'm trying to enter the license key from the email, copied it and pasted it, but clicking the button does nothing. 

Any ideas?

#10 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:09 AM

That's a bit strange. Try restarting GM:S and copy pasting your key again, this usually works for me.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#11 jeffGuyDude

jeffGuyDude

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:10 AM

When I open Game Maker Studio from the provided link, it doesn't provide me instructions to upgrade to Standard. I am I doing something wrong here?

#12 noelbarrot

noelbarrot

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:33 AM

I have the same issue. I've downloaded the installer, installed it and opened it. There are no instructions on how to update to studio. Are they meant to show up on start up or do you have to do something more.

Check out my games here : http://noelbarrot.itch.io/

#13 Vision305

Vision305

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

Well I got the standard studio then upgraded my license key to the pro... However, how can I get the studio to actually upgrade to pro now? There are no instructions for this anywhere that I can find. I looked everywhere. Dang I really want to play with my new toy over the weekend!

Also, I plan to buy the exports for ios and android as soon as I can figure out how upgrading works. Im not sure I want to pay the extra 400 dollars until I know it's working.

Edited by Vision305, 22 February 2014 - 02:35 AM.

Using: Game Maker Studio Pro and always the latest version (not the beta stuff)

#14 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:37 AM

Open GM:S and open the IDE to a project.

Now click on the Help menu and update your license.

As for not being able to find the upgrade for free:

I suggest trying to open GM:S again, it may not have gone through to their server because of all the traffic.

I can't really help with this more unless I un-license, and I can't do that right now.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 22 February 2014 - 02:39 AM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#15 jeffGuyDude

jeffGuyDude

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:44 AM

I don't know if this helps, but when I downloaded the exe from the provided link, it says I am running the Professional Edition, though when I run a project, it asks for the Professional License. 

#16 Vision305

Vision305

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:45 AM

Open GM:S and open the IDE to a project.

Now click on the Help menu and update your license.

As for not being able to find the upgrade for free:

I suggest trying to open GM:S again, it may not have gone through to their server because of all the traffic.

I can't really help with this more unless I un-license, and I can't do that right now.

Thanks I didnt think of that.

Also I do believe their is too much traffic cause I keep getting a script error on page inside the studio when clicking the link to upgrade to pro. 

#17 jeffGuyDude

jeffGuyDude

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

Okay, I found a solution, I downloaded the Early Access version, to which I was prompted to upgrade to Standard for free. I followed those instructions and was given a key. I used the key on my non Early Access version of Game Maker, to which it worked!

#18 zircher

zircher

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:15 AM

Got the standard version (thanks!) and I'm curious about the pro version.  I'm a complete Gamemaker rookie here, although I have used other game dev engines in the past.  What do these features really entail and are they something I should be concerned about at my skill level?

+ Texture Management

+ Multiple Configurations

+ Team Features

+ Developer Services Portal

+ Mobile Testing

+ Tizen Export

It's nice that they are listed on the comparison chart, but without even a clue to what they would do for a bedroom coder, the info is close to useless.  Can anyone clue me in on these items?

--

TAZ 

#19 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:16 AM

Yes Yes Yes!! I got it! oh.....ehhhh.......I got the license! nice Deal!!

now is time to learn how to use gamemaker............

#20 noelbarrot

noelbarrot

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

Okay, I found a solution, I downloaded the Early Access version, to which I was prompted to upgrade to Standard for free. I followed those instructions and was given a key. I used the key on my non Early Access version of Game Maker, to which it worked!

Yep this worked for me as well. Now just to get the professional edition.

Check out my games here : http://noelbarrot.itch.io/

#21 Zustaekai

Zustaekai

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

.. this is just the sale I need to become a proud new owner of the Professional version, there is one problem:

All payment methods I've attempted for the past five hours (yes, I've been at this for five hours, just in the purchasing process) have failed.  Mastercard.  Nothing special, just a standard card which never gave me any issues .. 

.. I've tried Paypal, I've tried oGone .. I'm now on Steam, downloading everything through them to attempt and reach a solution, however, the sale is not updated with Steam.  Though the software downloaded from steam appears to be better updated.  

.. this is distressing, because I've been a long time fan of Game Maker, since my late childhood, and now as an adult student .. with a near full time job which doesn't pay me jack ... because America .. I've had this great $35 deal dangling in front of my face for the past 5, 6 hours ... and I've tried everything .. reinstalling .. more than twice .. I don't know.  I just know this should have taken five minutes, NOT five hours .. and that my girlfriend is none to satisfied with my zombie like state, wasting all this time I SHOULD be spending with her.  Playing games with her.  Spending time with her.

I love a good sale, and I love a good piece of software .. but this is litterally back and neck breaking .. I've moved through two or three rooms and been slouching and distressed this whole time .. it's 4:40am on the East Coast .. so .. you do the math.  I'm cranking my neck just typing all this.  The point isn't to complain, but to have someone here empathize with me and echo these sentiments .. because .. while I'd like to be pissed off, I'm also a fan.

I'll try again when I wake up.  

#22 Vision305

Vision305

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

Got the standard version (thanks!) and I'm curious about the pro version.  I'm a complete Gamemaker rookie here, although I have used other game dev engines in the past.  What do these features really entail and are they something I should be concerned about at my skill level?

+ Texture Management

+ Team Features

+ Mobile Testing

+ Tizen Export

It's nice that they are listed on the comparison chart, but without even a clue to what they would do for a bedroom coder, the info is close to useless.  Can anyone clue me in on these items?

--

TAZ 

I been using gamemaker since I was 12... Its probably my favorite engine. Specifically if all you plan to do is 2D. I would get the pro so that you can later add modules for whatever extra exporting options you need. I plan to buy the ios and android modules very soon. Im saving a couple dollars now on the pro since its 35 instead of 100.

.. this is just the sale I need to become a proud new owner of the Professional version, there is one problem:

All payment methods I've attempted for the past five hours (yes, I've been at this for five hours, just in the purchasing process) have failed.  Mastercard.  Nothing special, just a standard card which never gave me any issues .. 

.. I've tried Paypal, I've tried oGone .. I'm now on Steam, downloading everything through them to attempt and reach a solution, however, the sale is not updated with Steam.  Though the software downloaded from steam appears to be better updated.  

.. this is distressing, because I've been a long time fan of Game Maker, since my late childhood, and now as an adult student .. with a near full time job which doesn't pay me jack ... because America .. I've had this great $35 deal dangling in front of my face for the past 5, 6 hours ... and I've tried everything .. reinstalling .. more than twice .. I don't know.  I just know this should have taken five minutes, NOT five hours .. and that my girlfriend is none to satisfied with my zombie like state, wasting all this time I SHOULD be spending with her.  Playing games with her.  Spending time with her.

I love a good sale, and I love a good piece of software .. but this is litterally back and neck breaking .. I've moved through two or three rooms and been slouching and distressed this whole time .. it's 4:40am on the East Coast .. so .. you do the math.  I'm cranking my neck just typing all this.  The point isn't to complain, but to have someone here empathize with me and echo these sentiments .. because .. while I'd like to be pissed off, I'm also a fan.

I'll try again when I wake up.  

I was also having issues with it. Luckily for me Paypal worked on the first try.

#23 Zustaekai

Zustaekai

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

... don't mind this post, it is nothing but air.

Edited by Zustaekai, 22 February 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#24 Zustaekai

Zustaekai

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

... don't mind this post, it's nothing but air.

Edited by Zustaekai, 22 February 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#25 zircher

zircher

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Vision305, thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, it really didn't answer the question.  Is there a wiki or FAQ that talks about these features?

#26 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

+ Texture Management

+ Team Features

+ Mobile Testing

+ Tizen Export

--

TAZ 

The Pro version, and the listed features, are mostly all to do with the ability to export to mobile.

Texture Management helps with memory taken up by image based resources, which can help on all platforms, but is not required to make a perfectly amazing game.

The Configurations let you control certain features in your games, such as ads, and demo features. You can show ads if the user is using the free/demo, and remove them after they purchase it.

Team Features is, I believe, access to source control, which makes it easier to manage the game between different machines. It can also help with debugging if used right.

Developer services are in app purchases for mobile/windows 8, I think not to sure.

Mobile testing is obviously, the ability to test on mobile devices if you have proper exports(except android, which you can test on for free!)

And the Tizen Export is for exporting to a newer, unreleased system called Tizen. Which has been hyped for a while, but nothing has been shown to prove it's a worthy course for developers, to my knowledge.

Hope this helped! :)

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#27 legendchew

legendchew

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Vision305, thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, it really didn't answer the question.  Is there a wiki or FAQ that talks about these features?

GameMaker: Studio Feature Comparison
https://www.yoyogames.com/studio

#28 zircher

zircher

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

Excellent!  Thanks, LukanSpellweaver..  I did a little research on Tizen.  The first phone with it will be released this week at the Mobile World Congress in Spain.

Well, given that I'm a team of one, hate ads, don't own a cell phone, and plan on giving anything that I make away for free.  I'll think I'll pass on Pro for now.  It really does sound like something that professionals would want, but it is not the direction nor the reason why I make games.  Compare that to say Dark Basic Pro which added a lot of functionality to the language.  YYG's pro version is more about making money and cross platform support.  The only reason for me to upgrade would be if I had some gonzo large project that needed the texture management.  Handy, but not happening this year.  Thanks again!

[Edit: Oh, the compiler might be a damned nice thing to have if I get into a big project and needed the extra processing power.  But again, I doubt I will need to make that upgrade any time soon until I'm pushing GM to the limits.]

GameMaker: Studio Feature Comparison
https://www.yoyogames.com/studio

Yeah, that page was close to useless for the information I wanted.  If they would have put hyperlinks in to the feature list.  It would have been easier to navigate.

Kind of after the fact, but this page was much more useful.

http://help.yoyogame...udio-Is-For-Me-

--

TAZ

Edited by zircher, 22 February 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#29 Tapewormz

Tapewormz

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

If I upgrade to the Professional version of Game Maker Studio, will I be able to get a Steam key for that version? I'd like to be able to use the Steam Workshop features of GMS.

#30 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:06 AM

Yes, you get a Steam key I think after 1 or 2 weeks of your purchase.............

#31 8-BitTonberry

8-BitTonberry

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

If anyone else is having problems even seeing the instructions for getting the free Standard version like I was:

I uninstalled Studio several times, tried deleting the Roaming and Local files that remained on my system, etc. I had no luck.

What I ended up doing was entering RegEdit and deleting the following key:  \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\5tudio

This was suggested by Mike.Dailly in the following topic: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=602576

This allowed me to open my version of GM and be presented with the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps, it took a bit of digging to find that topic/solution.

8-BitTonberry.png

#32 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Yes, you get a Steam key I think after 1 or 2 weeks of your purchase.............

No, you should get the Steam key in the email with your Pro license.
Unless YoYo changed that?

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 23 February 2014 - 05:41 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#33 Tapewormz

Tapewormz

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

No, you should get the Steam key in the email with your Pro license.
Unless YoYo changed that?

Yeah, this is what I thought. Ok, I'll grab the pro license then.

#34 melkin100500

melkin100500

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

How can I get a Steam key for free Standard Edition? Or it does not provided for the free version?

#35 8-BitTonberry

8-BitTonberry

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

How can I get a Steam key for free Standard Edition? Or it does not provided for the free version?

I recall reading somewhere that the Free Standard offer does not apply to the Steam version. I could be wrong, but that's what I'd read.

There might be a way around it though, somebody else might have more information for you than me.

8-BitTonberry.png

#36 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

Purchase of a license from YoYo provides you with a free Steam key.

I do not think you get a Steam key with the free Standard license though, probably something to do with an absurd Valve policy.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#37 Marshallguy

Marshallguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

I cant seem to find how to get the Professional version at the discounted price? I've been using GM8.1 for ages, but thought i'd upgrade to studio with the sale. Now i'm looking at buying the professional version so i can export to Android and possibly HTML5 in the future. Anyway, i had a quick check around, cant find how to upgrade for $35. Can anyone help?

Edited by Marshallguy, 24 February 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#38 Codebreaker

Codebreaker

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

Hi all,

New here and after searching google for game making software came across this great sale, so got the pro one sorted after a few problems, which I found was with steam, the whole proccess works great if you get the stand alone free version first and not through steam, and then just upgrade the free version to standard once you've run the software and then once it's restarted after you've entered the standard key code, you then update your lisence to pro, took me a while to do it as the steam version didn't seem to want to upgrade until I downloaded and installed it without using steam, anyway sorted now and looking forward to playing around with the software..

P.s

Don't use steam just download the free standalone version first and install, run gamemaker studio and it will ask to upgrade to standard addition, do that and you receive a new keycode by e-mail, add the new keycode and your email in the slots provided and register it, your gamemaker studio will restart, then start a new project and in the help tab, click on the update license, and submit your standard license. then add the pro to your basket and also add the standard keycode you have in the slot provided on the left of the page and submit it...you should then see the discount added, if it says $135 dollars then check your items top left and if it says 2 gamemaker studios, change the items to 1 and hit enter, it will then change the price to £35 dollars and just finish off your purchase.

Edited by Codebreaker, 25 February 2014 - 03:20 AM.

#39 AutomaticSnow

AutomaticSnow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

Are you an aspiring game designer, artist or programmer looking to for a way to take your work to the next level? Become a Pro and take advantage of our GameMaker: Studio Professional sale!

For a limited time YoYo Games is giving all GameMaker: Studio Standard users the chance to upgrade to GameMaker: Studio Professional for only $35.00!

If you don't already own a copy of GameMaker: Studio, for a limited time, you can now get your own GameMaker: Studio Standard license, completely free!

For more information visit: http://www.yoyogames...promotions/sale

Oh, I so wish there was some sort of sale on the Masters version...I so need that however as a student it's out of my financial means at present. 

#40 legendchew

legendchew

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

I cant seem to find how to get the Professional version at the discounted price? I've been using GM8.1 for ages, but thought i'd upgrade to studio with the sale. Now i'm looking at buying the professional version so i can export to Android and possibly HTML5 in the future. Anyway, i had a quick check around, cant find how to upgrade for $35. Can anyone help?

For Free to Standard version > Download the standalone version via http://www.yoyogames...oad/studio/free and install it. Launch and click on the Gamemaker Studio Standard and submit your email and wait for the email serial key. Remember to subscribe on email notification. Once get the serial key, update it inside the GameMaker Studio Free [Help > Update License]. Need to restart GameMaker Studio Free. Check on the title change to Gamemaker Studio Standard. 
For Standard to Pro  version > Go to https://www.yoyogame.../buy/studio_pro  > Add to Cart > Enter serial key and click Upgrade. Proceed payment. $39 only.
(Pro version) Steam serial key will be send to your email about 1 to 2 weeks. 

Issue: It may keep request serial key when you launch Gamemaker Studio. 
How problem upgrade old GM to latest? Un-install and use CCleaner to clean the registry. 

#41 DefuzionGames

DefuzionGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1460 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

will the prioce for the android module ever come down, do they have coupons, or planning any sale on this? 

#42 Toolkitz

Toolkitz

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Just got my free version of Standard. Now I want to get pro, however, I may not have sufficient funds before the deadline, so I might have to consider the possibility that I can't take advantage of the offer. However, will registration for pro afterwards still be $99 if I got the Standard Edition for free?

#43 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

will the prioce for the android module ever come down, do they have coupons, or planning any sale on this? 

Don't expect much of a lead notice, if any, on sale specifics. It just doesn't make sense for a company to do.

Just got my free version of Standard. Now I want to get pro, however, I may not have sufficient funds before the deadline, so I might have to consider the possibility that I can't take advantage of the offer. However, will registration for pro afterwards still be $99 if I got the Standard Edition for free?

Upgrading from Standard to Professional has always been available outside of these special sales. 

Prior to this upgrade sale, the sale price was $49. I would expect that when the sale ends that's what the upgrade price will revert back to.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#44 gamedadak

gamedadak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Don't expect much of a lead notice, if any, on sale specifics. It just doesn't make sense for a company to do.

"It just doesn't make sense for a company to do."  Please tell me you mean, it makes no sense for them to give lead notice...

it makes more then enough sense to have a sale, or else we would never see a 'sale' on 'anything'!

even at that...it makes plenty of sense to give notice, more notice to more potential buyers = more sales.  more sales= more then enough reason or 'sense' for 'A' company. 

#45 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

"It just doesn't make sense for a company to do."  Please tell me you mean, it makes no sense for them to give lead notice...

it makes more then enough sense to have a sale, or else we would never see a 'sale' on 'anything'!

even at that...it makes plenty of sense to give notice, more notice to more potential buyers = more sales.  more sales= more then enough reason or 'sense' for 'A' company. 

I didn't say it doesn't make sense to have sales, nor did I say it doesn't make sense to give notice. I said "Don't expect much of a lead notice, if any, on sale specifics. It just doesn't make sense for a company to do."

And it doesn't.

If YYGs were to announce today that in one months time the cost of Android and iOS modules would be on sale from $200 down to $100, What would happen to the sales of those modules between now and then? They would dump. All those who would have bought would wait. Then instead of paying full price, they would pay half as much.

There's an interesting phenomenon called the Osborne Effect. It describes how consumers will wait for new products, believing  the replacement for the next product will be a sufficiently better value that it would not be a good idea to buy now. This phenomenon was labled because Osborne went out of business because consumers stopped buying the current product, instead waiting for the next product. Osborne ran out of cash because nobody was buying there current product.

The Osborne Effect doesn't directly apply to sale prices, but the exact same principles apply. Pre-announcing sales, with details, hurts a lot more than the potential benefits of sales.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#46 gamedadak

gamedadak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:32 AM

my appoligies, i miss read what you originally stated. Now, i agree and understand this osborn effect(to a point!) theres a very fine line in there somewheres..( 1-ill state, each company is different(yyg can do as they wish) 2- explain 'black friday', sale adverts are announced months* before!) look in your local paper, guarentee you'll find many many notices of sales coming NexT week. Food products, concert tickets, toilet paper, shampoo. Granted these are small items with small $ amounts. Walmarts advertising tvs on sale starting march first...
- in the end. My point 'advanced notices DO happen ALL the time. Just not on yyg products :) NOR, are they typically more then 1 weeks advance notice.
Edit:
im willing to bet YYG would have higher sales on a 'sale' that was announced 1 week prior. This announcment allows potential users to NOT spend money on XX so they can instead buy the latest version when its out next week. MHO

Edited by gamedadak, 27 February 2014 - 02:38 AM.

#47 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:34 AM

Because it's a matter of degree and detail. And I didn't say zero lead time.

Look put this back in context.

A specific question was asked; "will the prioce for the android module ever come down, do they have coupons, or planning any sale on this?".

I answered that specific example, recognizing YYGs history and opining why it's not likely that there won't be an Android sale soon and why we're not going to get much of of a lead time, on there next sale. Cripes, their current sale is still on and somebodies expecting when and what their next one is going to be.

Why the semantics and edge cases?

#48 gamedadak

gamedadak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

lol. Whatever MrPaul. Semantics..look it up, then put it to use! Hes not 'expecting' hes mearly asking. And its a very valid question to ask. Sale might be going on yes...but some people might not have extra spending cash they can afford to blow right now. Just saying!
Edit:
in fact, the question was about android module sales/discounts. Not having anything to do with this current sale(as far as i know GM:S is on sale,not any modules) [/rant]

Edited by gamedadak, 27 February 2014 - 04:28 AM.

#49 rgadawg

rgadawg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

This is a very nice offer, been playing around with GM Studio Lite for a few days and it is quie robust IDE

Q. Pro ver is not packaged with "YoYo Compiler"

Can I still build Win7,8 stand alone exe's with the Pro version without the compiler

Q. what is the advantage of having the compiler ?

Comparison of versions

http://www.yoyogames.com/studio

Thanks ..

#50 Nahual

Nahual

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:51 AM

My friend downloaded the standard version for free and I gave him the $35 to upgrade to pro version but every time he tries to use the HTML module it keeps asking for the key and once we entered it it says to restart GM which we do but it keeps on asking for the key, why is this?

My Website: Nahual Studios
My Twitter: @6nahual6