139 replies to this topic

#51 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

Just curious, are topic ratings (the star ones, around the top of the topic page) going to be shown in forum view as well? I suppose that could allow people to look for higher quality content more easily, maybe? ^^"

Agreed! So, I've added a wee script that will now display the star ratings in each forum under the topic stats section...

Just a suggestion for forums like Studio and the like, there seems to be a lot of newbies running around, more-so after the 100 billion copies of GM you guys have/are giving away... and I think the bit at the top isn't helpful.

Hopefully the new layout for the Tech Support and programming forums (not done yet!) will help with these issues.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#52 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

I think the "Tutorials and Examples" forum should me moved on the top of the "Learning" group, or into the "Programming" section. Many a times I find myself searching for it.

#53 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

I think the "Tutorials and Examples" forum should me moved on the top of the "Learning" group, or into the "Programming" section. Many a times I find myself searching for it.

I too, end up skipping over it many times thinking it's closer to the bottom or top than it actually is.

It's one of the greatest resources on here, needs more love.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 23 February 2014 - 01:09 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#54 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

It could logically fit either section, but I think Learning is a better choice.  However, I do agree it might be better at the top.

I suspect the Learning group is in flux -- especially the Projects and Student Area, since there's very little relevant traffic there.  They could be combined or eliminated, or perhaps combined with Teaching into a single sub-forum.  And re-named GameMaker in Academia... or something equally profound.  :P

#55 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

I have some propositions:

• Ex astris scientia (personal favorite)
  • Ex vulgus scientia
  • Ipsa scientia potestas est
  • Libera Scientia
  • Scientia et sapientia
  • Scientia ipsa potentia est
  • Scire quod sciendum

namque me curam habere nomen loci responsaque :P

Edited by Shadowrend, 23 February 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#56 CloudBomb

CloudBomb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Hopefully the new layout for the Tech Support and programming forums (not done yet!) will help with these issues.

Ooh. Bangarang.

#57 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

I'll be honest I don't (entirely) like the new forum layout. Here's why:

1. Off-topic does not belong in "Games", besides having the "Games Discussion Forum" it has nothing to do with Games. I understand the reason to make it lower on the list because this is a programming forum. I thought it (Off-topic) was going to be removed altogether though. Why can't you just simply make it a sub-forum of Community Chat? That gets rid of an entire sub-forum and it hides it better so only those who really are in to the Off-topic forum see it.

2. Some of the forum descriptions could be better "School and university students" is very vague. Also  some of the forum descriptions need a period. Please do this. I'm very OCD about this. Haha. Shaders needs a period too in its description.

3. can the Windows Phone sub-forum please add in "Creations" or "Apps" at the end so it is just like the other sub-forums for the Games Creations forum?

4. Teaching and Student Area hardly get any traffic and should either be merged as one forum or gotten rid of entirely.

5. I'm not sure if I like Game Design and the Distribution forums being merged. I think Distribution forum could have been left as it was. It still garnered a bit of traffic.

6. Can the YYC finally get a sub-forum in the Studio forum or is this not needed?

Okay that is it. Now for the pro(s)!

1. Works in Progress is finally at the top!!! Finally! *throws confetti*

I am excited about the additions coming to the Questions and Answers forum so that is very good to hear that it is getting more attention! It really is the best part about the community.

Edited by Mr. RPG, 24 February 2014 - 12:46 AM.

#58 Fighting King

Fighting King

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 100 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Speaking of the WIP...

Are the new changes being made the reason why I cannot post a new topic in the W.I.P forums?

Button says "You cannot start a new topic" but I see others posting there with no probs. I can can start topics in every other forum :confused: 

#59 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Speaking of the WIP...

Are the new changes being made the reason why I cannot post a new topic in the W.I.P forums?

Button says "You cannot start a new topic" but I see others posting there with no probs. I can can start topics in every other forum :confused:

Really? Okay... I'll look into that right away.

EDIT: Yes, there was a permissions error there. Should be fixed now though! Thanks for letting me know.  :thumbsup:

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#60 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

Good to see changes in things I never saw!  :P

P.S. There's a date standard that makes everyone happy.

usa only

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#61 gamedadak

gamedadak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

are the forum changes complete? What happened with the spam trap? It worked rather well when in place, now theres garbage everywhere!
Also- there has to be a way you can eliminate the double/tripple posting. (alot of times its human fault) then alot more of the time its due to bad internet connections.

#62 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

I have been finding now, that when I browse this forum on my ipad, the styles.css file doesn't seem to load and the pages are white, text is black and formatting has gone out the window. Refreshing, clearing the cache, etc.. Doesn't make a difference.

Seems to be more apparent during busy forum periods. Results vary from page to page and the problem is inconsistent.

#63 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

The styling works fine on my iPad, it even works on my 3ds!

As for the spam box, I don't think it worked at all. I've seen the same amount of spam since it was removed. AND it may just be invisible, not removed.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#64 Chinafreak

Chinafreak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

I'm just waiting for new resources :3

#65 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4147 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

are the forum changes complete? What happened with the spam trap? It worked rather well when in place, now theres garbage everywhere!
Also- there has to be a way you can eliminate the double/tripple posting. (alot of times its human fault) then alot more of the time its due to bad internet connections.

The spam forum was really no longer fulfilling its function (around 1 post a day there only, considering I cleaned up dozens of posts daily that's nothing important); it won't come back soon.
The forum changes are not done yet though - by a long shot. Some forums are going to be mixed/revamped and those will take more time.

#66 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

The very existence of my posts confirms that spam is still coming through paul23.

#67 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

Other than merging "Student Area", "Projects", and "Teaching" forums there really isn't anything else to merge.

#68 gamedadak

gamedadak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:52 AM

5months here, id see mayyybe 1 spam a day. There were 3 last night within 20mins of eachother.(fyi)
-on a side note,
might i suggest adding 1 forum, 'ask someone who has the authority to answer'
-> a forum where members ask the staff questions and ONLY the staff is allowed to reply. I see many questions directed towards YoYo, that sometimes get snobby, nearly('you stupid sob) replys and remarks, snowballing from other members.(even myself on occation)

Edited by gamedadak, 27 February 2014 - 05:28 AM.

#69 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

The second round of changes have now been made! You can find all the removed forums (as read only topics) here: http://gmc.yoyogames...p?showforum=141

And we now have a new Portfolios topic where people can offer their services: http://gmc.yoyogames...p?showforum=142

Before posting in that forum, however, please take a moment to read the forum rules: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=613302

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#70 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

Why were the music and graphics sub-forums removed? Wow.

Those used to be one of the most active areas of the forum.. The GMC is going to lose traffic from this.. A "Portfolio" forum isn't going to be very helpful. The Graphics and Sound/Music forums allowed people to quickly request assets easily, but now you're going to have to bury through a sub-forum to find someone (and hope) that they fit your needs (which they may not at all). Why can't both exist? I don't get it. Wasn't the point of the forum changes was to direct MORE traffic to the GMC? You're eliminating one of the most active parts of the forum, this can only lead people away..

Edited by Mr. RPG, 04 March 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#71 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

No the point of the forum changes were to streamline the forum and orient it more towards gamemaker and tech/programming support. There are a multitude of dedicated graphics and sound forums on the internet which do a far better job of supplying these assets than you could hope to find here. And this was announced a short while back... http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=611796&hl=

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#72 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Why were the music and graphics sub-forums removed? Wow.

Those used to be one of the most active areas of the forum.. (snip)

They were active, yes.  But were they really useful?  Mostly what I saw was casual discussion about the art itself.   Often, it seemed like the goal was getting compliments and having a hot topic.  :P  That's fun, but there are better forums for that.

Hopefully, the new Portfolios Forum will be more business-like, and more effective at connecting service providers with customers.

#73 Boysano

Boysano

GMS Pro Member

• GMC Member
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

where did the team request thread go? was there this morning

#74 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

where did the team request thread go? was there this morning

The second round of changes have now been made! You can find all the removed forums (as read only topics) here: http://gmc.yoyogames...p?showforum=141

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#75 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

Just curious, can other (non-admin) members post in the Portfolios topics? I recall that people couldn't discuss a team request in the topic itself back in the Team Requests days, and yet I haven't seen it explicitly stated in the guidelines as they are now. ^^"

LShy6C6.png

#76 MishMash

MishMash

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1124 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

Just throwing my two cents out there, The team requests topic had proven to be incredibly useful to myself over the past year. Just a few days ago I Released a post requesting a Sound designer and got 4 replies on the same day as making the post. I know other forums do things alot better, but all the people who are currently on my team have experienced the GameMaker side of things before, know what to expect from the technology. Likewise there have been people who have previously worked on other game projects, and as a result it has helped build a nice network of friends who all use GameMaker for different things, and this is something really interesting, and something that in my personal experience, other sites have failed to do.

I also feel that there are a great number of people on these forums who are still learning the ropes, and offer the same service at a cheaper price, to gain experience for themselves and to build portfolios. This is something really interesting and nice. In the past I have also used other forums, however I've generally had very blunt replies like "I Charge x amount for art. You give me requests. I make your art. Done".

I really hope the Portfolio's topic does a good job of fulfilling this gap, however I fear that it may not, simply because alot of what interests people, whether it be artists, musicians, programmers etc isn't necessarily just getting a Job, but getting involved with a project they want to get involved with.

Just my own thoughts.

VitalitySig18thMar.png

#77 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

Just curious, can other (non-admin) members post in the Portfolios topics? I recall that people couldn't discuss a team request in the topic itself back in the Team Requests days, and yet I haven't seen it explicitly stated in the guidelines as they are now. ^^"

The portfolios topics that people make will be normal topics and open for comments etc... However this may change, depending on how the feedback from the community goes.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#78 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

I also feel that there are a great number of people on these forums who are still learning the ropes, and offer the same service at a cheaper price, to gain experience for themselves and to build portfolios. This is something really interesting and nice. In the past I have also used other forums, however I've generally had very blunt replies like "I Charge x amount for art. You give me requests. I make your art. Done".

I really hope the Portfolio's topic does a good job of fulfilling this gap, however I fear that it may not, simply because alot of what interests people, whether it be artists, musicians, programmers etc isn't necessarily just getting a Job, but getting involved with a project they want to get involved with.

I hope so too. 

The Portfolios forum isn't just for professionals and experts.  Portfolios don't have to contain commercial games and resources necessarily.   Novices can post their own modest portfolios too, as long as they have something tangible to offer.   Not just dreams and hopes.

The goal isn't to eliminate novices.  The goal is to eliminate topics that offer nothing but fantasy.  So posters must demonstrate they have some skill to offer -- even if it's relatively modest. 

#79 gamedadak

gamedadak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

I dont believe the portfolio should HAVE to offer anything! Say im not 'looking' for anything in particular. Nothing at all even, BUT i post MY portfolio, other members view it and say "HEY! I totally dig this!! I should ask this guy for advice or help or how he did it or..." In my opinion, THATs what a portfolio is. A collection of your works. Not having anything to do with looking for a job. ( may even be the technical dictionary term)

#80 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

Yes, but the portfolios here are for services and resources only.

If you want to show off your other stuff just for the heck of it, do it on your website, not the GMC.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 04 March 2014 - 06:53 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#81 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

I dont believe the portfolio should HAVE to offer anything! Say im not 'looking' for anything in particular. Nothing at all even, BUT i post MY portfolio, other members view it and say "HEY! I totally dig this!! I should ask this guy for advice or help or how he did it or..." In my opinion, THATs what a portfolio is. A collection of your works. Not having anything to do with looking for a job. ( may even be the technical dictionary term)

Which is precisely why we are permitting replies in the topic. However, since this is a forum for Game Devs and not a showcase forum, just posting for feedback is not the idea behind the Portfolios. For that you have Deviant Art and many other dedicated art (music, web etc...) sites. This forum is to help people who are creating games find help with what they need, so any portfolio topic is because you want to offer yourself for work/teams... You guys have to realise that we cannot be all things to all men and have to draw the line somewhere...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#82 gamedadak

gamedadak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

I get that. You cant be everything for everyone. What i dont get is why you removed 'team requests' and relabled as 'portfolios'. Why not keep it team requests (since THAT is what its about) and make an adjustment to the forum rule, stating you must add a portfolio to show your work.
-dont mind me, im just being difficult this morning :)

#83 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

Team requests and the new Portfolios are not the same forum at all!

Team requests was for you to post info about your project and list open positions asking for help.

Portfolios are where you go and look for people to help you, you can see their work and decide it that person is who you're looking for.

I like the portfolios more because you aren't going to get a bunch of PMs saying people want to help with your project, only the person/people YOU pick get contacted.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#84 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

We are also adding a Job Offers forum. However it will be VERY heavily moderated and is only for those people offering real jobs... NOT for vague ideas or "I want to make a game, who's with me" type of topic. Hopefully between the two new forums we can please everybody, but if the neither are used, or receive a lot of spammy topics, they will be removed completely.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#85 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

I really hope the Job Offers and Portfolios forums are successful and actually help people get assistance on their games and hopefully they (the new forums) can garner a bit more traffic to the community as well. I really like the tags in the portfolios forum (although it is a bit hard to read with the white text on the grey background). I hope more areas of the forum receive that benefit too (like the Q&A forum). The original Team Requests forum was overlooked by pretty much everyone.

Edit: Clarification and 3,000th post!

Edited by Mr. RPG, 05 March 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#86 fatihG_

fatihG_

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

Just throwing my two cents out there, The team requests topic had proven to be incredibly useful to myself over the past year. Just a few days ago I Released a post requesting a Sound designer and got 4 replies on the same day as making the post. I know other forums do things alot better, but all the people who are currently on my team have experienced the GameMaker side of things before, know what to expect from the technology. Likewise there have been people who have previously worked on other game projects, and as a result it has helped build a nice network of friends who all use GameMaker for different things, and this is something really interesting, and something that in my personal experience, other sites have failed to do.

Just my own thoughts.

The portfolio section doesn't have any rules (afaik) that says you need to charge for things. So far it seems to be a simple "I am offering my services, here are some examples of my work.".
It doesn't say anything about free service or charged ones. So if a novice wants to do stuff for free he/she can.

I also dont see anything wrong with the blunt replies. You pay for their services, not their friendship. However cliché it might be... time is money, the time they spend chatting with you, they could very well spend on trying to find new gigs.
Doesn't mean they need to be douches though. Just saying, that if they do their work properly and communicate in an acceptable fashion, then there is nothing wrong with it.

Also, for the "look what I made guys. What do you think?" type of posts... there is always The Unofficial Art Gallery

Anyway, maybe it'd be nice if we had a subforum for "volunteer projects", basically like "job offers" but for volunteer work. Though still have some guidelines to limit the "dream projects".
Or maybe just let people recruit in the "WIP" games forum. Since it requires people to actually post a wip already.

Congrats on 3000th :P

#87 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 763 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Kudos sirs for the inclusion of a Jobs and Portfolio section, finally we can all act more professionally.

rlztjp_zpsoqffaixe.jpg

#88 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Kudos sirs for the inclusion of a Jobs and Portfolio section, finally we can all act more professionally.

That's the plan...  :thumbsup:

Next (and final) round of forum changes will be coming soon!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#89 yun

yun

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

Where would be the best place to do music requests now?

I had a music request topic:

http://gmc.yoyogames...60#entry4517906

But I'm not sure where to post a new one.

#90 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

About the rating (star) system, please disable the possibility of the OP rating it. Every topic I see has 5 stars and one vote and it is really irritant.

I think it is obvious who is giving it 5 stars.

Have you thought of increasing the number of moderators on forums?

Edited by Shadowrend, 09 March 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#91 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

The rating system doesn't permit you to exclude the OP from it... and why do we need more moderators? Those we have are perfectly good at keeping you rabble under control!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#92 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:50 PM

http://gmc.yoyogames...p?showforum=117
I can easily link to more examples, but its like every second topic has 0 replies 20 views and 5 stars. The stars should represent the rating given by other people, not the publisher. It's like buying 1000000 copies of your own book and calling it a best-seller.

#93 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

I can easily link to more examples, but its like every second topic has 0 replies 20 views and 5 stars. The stars should represent the rating given by other people, not the publisher. It's like buying 1000000 copies of your own book and calling it a best-seller.

Isn't that what they doing already? But yeah, i agree with your point.

rlztjp_zpsoqffaixe.jpg

#94 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

People requested the rating stars be added, so they were... but we are NOT going to moderate it in that sense. If someone wants to inflate their own ego then that's not a moderator problem.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#95 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

Nocturne was pretty clear. He asked for evidence why we needed more moderators.

He was also pretty clear when he said the forum software doesn't prevent the OP from rating.

Why are you continuing to try to justify a change to the rating system that the forum software doesn't allow? Go justify your changes to IBP, they're the ones who can make the change.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 09 March 2014 - 10:07 PM.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#96 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

I'm voting for an unlimited rep button for the mods.

Oh wait.

rlztjp_zpsoqffaixe.jpg

#97 gamedadak

gamedadak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

If someone wants
to inflate their own ego then that's not a moderator problem.

-It SHOULD be your problem, as for 1. our problems become yours (that is the point of a moderator--A) to make sure we dont have problems/assist users in having a possitive GM experiance. B ) to make sure users dont cause problems)
2. And most importantly, the whole reason(if I remember correctly) for the rating systen was for better search results. If im searching for something and all that shows up is single post threads with 5stars from the creator... Its not likely going to help anyone.

Edited by gamedadak, 09 March 2014 - 10:39 PM.

#98 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

PLEASE CALM DOWN!

No one is forcing people +1 mod's posts. They are doing that from their free will, and I doubt any mod actually cares about their reputation. Some have -999999

If you care about it so much, I will come everyday and +1 your posts as much as I can.

That wasn't my reply to the "and why do we need more moderators? Those we have are perfectly good at keeping you rabble under control!"

That conversation ended there, I continued the conversation about the rating system.

@NPT I do not have my IBP board, so I am not familiar with the rating system functions. Perhaps it has a little option that you can tick and disable the OP from rating his topic. Perhaps not. It was just a suggestion, not a post that should start a flame war.

Edited by Shadowrend, 09 March 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#99 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

Please don't, can you imagine the kind of attention that would bring.

But anyway, i'm happy with the current forum changes +1 for the professionalism from me.

rlztjp_zpsoqffaixe.jpg

#100 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

If someone wants
to inflate their own ego then that's not a moderator problem.

-It SHOULD be your problem, as for 1. our problems become yours (that is the point of a moderator--A) to make sure we dont have problems/assist users in having a possitive GM experiance. B ) to make sure users dont cause problems)
2. And most importantly, the whole reason(if I remember correctly) for the rating systen was for better search results. If im searching for something and all that shows up is single post threads with 5stars from the creator... Its not likely going to help anyone.

No, the number of stars a topic gets is not an issue for the moderators, as the OP can only vote for their own topic ONCE... and then what? It sinks to the bottom of the boards or it gets replies and gets further votes from other users. Those that get replies and have multiple votes are those that will float to the top of the forum, and so the rating system will show fine those topics that are getting better attention. Remember, ratings are like reputation - a number that only gets it's meaning from the person that views it, and on a forum such as this it is an extra detail and a bit of fun, which you can take or leave.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png