139 replies to this topic

#1 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hi everyone! This topic is just to notify you that the forums are going to be getting changed around a bit...

Starting this weekend (22/2/14) forum sections will be getting moved and merged, so be prepared when you log in to meet with some change! I would strongly recommend that you follow any topic (there is a button in the top right of the forum) in which you have an interest so as not to "lose" it after the changes. This won't be necessary for your own topics, since you can find them easy enough from your profile page.

We anticipate making the changes over the period of a week or two, so please bare with us while things are moved around, and if you have any doubts or questions, or find that anything is broken, please post here or PM me.

Oh, and please note that there may be changes to the individual sub-forum rules after the changes, so please take the time to revise them after any changes have been made.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#2 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

I do hope this time you do put in Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" official video (with sound) in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Edited by Shadowrend, 19 February 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#3 gamedadak

gamedadak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

damn, and ive been meaning to suggest a Q&A do-over.

Q&A with Sub-forums

-collisions

-movement

-nows a bad time, I have to many thoughts in my head.  but the idea was to separate this topic into the most commonly asked questions.

pinned to the top should be a "IF Youre going to ask THIS" check here first... with all common answers to common questions.  "how do I attach 2 objects together?"   I see atleast one of these questions daily!  (among many many others)

this SHOULD reduce the amount of topics being created, as well as(more importantly) giving the poster a better chance of having his/her topic answered.  myself and ive seen others topics go from the top of the list to the bottom without even being visited/read once...and then "technically" we're not allowed to bump for 48hrs.

just an idea, wish I could go in depth a bit more(chances are my suggestion is too late anyways as changes are happening this weekend)

#4 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

We are looking to REDUCE the number of sub-forums, but to compensate we are introducing tags on all forums. Hopefully we can get people used to tagging their topics appropriately which will help with self-organisation of the forums through search. We are also considering "best answer" votes in the Q&A section so that people can label the reply that they thought best responded to the question. Both of these features should help cut down on the need for so many sub-forums.

Oh, and while I appreciate suggestions, we (ie: YoYo Games and the Staff) have decided on how it's going to be, and I doubt we will be changing our plans to start with (which is why I haven't added any info about the exact changes!). Obviously, after the changes, any feedback will be taken into consideration as we are planning some quite dramatic things, which may (or may not) work out. Only time will tell, and we will be open to suggestions after the changes have been made, but not really right now.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#5 Floofpaws

Floofpaws

Fox

• GMC Member
  • 2161 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

Yay, the tag system is going to be available to everyone now? :D

#6 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

I really like the tag system, and I'd like to see it in wider use.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#7 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

Good call.

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#8 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

Finally, this took almost a year to happen. :P

The Works in Progress forum needs to be more... prevalent. It has seen very little activity after the last forum re-shuffle.

I do like the ideas for the Q&A forum.

Edited by Mr. RPG, 20 February 2014 - 12:48 AM.

#9 True_Predator

True_Predator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 655 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

As long as it isn't a forum wipe like the last 3 times I am ok with it....so many posts lost...so long ago *checks dates*..... :o way to long ago.... Little bit of nostalgia going on sorry  ^_^

My deviantart page: http://truepredator....rt.com/gallery/    
My Imageshack: https://imageshack.c...r/true_predator :: Signup yourself by visiting this link *please :D*: https://imageshack.c...HZpaelpWdkphpng

Visit my dev blog on my Isometric Engine. Subscribe / follow!   http://vohjiindev.blogspot.com/

Software used: GameMaker: Studio,  Spine Professional http://esotericsoftware.com/ 

#10 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:37 AM

Hopefully we can get people used to tagging their topics appropriately which will help with self-organisation of the forums through search

If we're going to encourage tag use and searching, then members need better search tools -- not the IP.B search feature.

Is there a way to embed a Google search window on the forum instead of the IP.B search?  Or at least, actively encourage members to use Google to reduce further strain on the forum server.

If not, this whole idea could backfire.   Lots of members using the IP.B search feature could reduce forum speed to a crawl.  Experienced members know to use Google.  But newer members might be encouraged  to use the forum search, if tags become widespread.  Not good.

#11 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1359 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:26 AM

Yeah I use Google to search for stuff on the GMC most of the time because the built in search feature is such a pain to use.

TeamSteeveBanner.png

#12 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:33 AM

Not to mention the flood control trips like every ten seconds when I use it.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#13 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Oh, so these forum changes are finally going to happen? ^^

Sweet, does it mean that "Games" section will be somewhere higher than it is now, with Completed Creations at the top, and WIPs right below? I think the actual game creation (and finishing, at that!) needs a little more love. ^^"

LShy6C6.png

#14 teewurst

teewurst

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

have you ever thought of separate the Q&A from the form. There are way more powerful tools like OSQA.

It allwos tagging, repurtation and much more. It also has a strong suggetion engine

Just sayin' :)

Edited by teewurst, 20 February 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#15 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4147 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hopefully we can get people used to tagging their topics appropriately which will help with self-organisation of the forums through search

If we're going to encourage tag use and searching, then members need better search tools -- not the IP.B search feature.

Is there a way to embed a Google search window on the forum instead of the IP.B search?  Or at least, actively encourage members to use Google to reduce further strain on the forum server.

If not, this whole idea could backfire.   Lots of members using the IP.B search feature could reduce forum speed to a crawl.  Experienced members know to use Google.  But newer members might be encouraged  to use the forum search, if tags become widespread.  Not good.

Tags are quite good incorporated in the IPB search features, clicking on a tag shows all topics with said tag - with google search this isn't the case.

#16 Panzergeist

Panzergeist

Insane Box Man

• GMC Member
  • 1241 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

(22/2/14)

I really don't think I can wait that long Noc... I mean, the 22nd month? Might be a bit of a wait.

[ ._.]> Where am I...

#17 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

(22/2/14)

I really don't think I can wait that long Noc... I mean, the 22nd month? Might be a bit of a wait.

In some countries the format is Day / Month / Year

#18 Panzergeist

Panzergeist

Insane Box Man

• GMC Member
  • 1241 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

(22/2/14)

In some countries the format is Day / Month / Year

Ooooooh, I forgot about that xD Ok, fair enough lol

[ ._.]> Where am I...

#19 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Actually... in vast majority of countries the format is Day / Month / Year. ^^"
At least if Wikipedia is to be believed

LShy6C6.png

#20 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Tags are quite good incorporated in the IPB search features, clicking on a tag shows all topics with said tag - with google search this isn't the case.

I was concerned about putting burden on the GMC server -- not the effectiveness of the tag search.  I thought that was clear from my post.

Either way, google seems to work fine.  For example, one can google "[jam13] site:gmc.yoyogames.com" and see all the Creations Forum games from the last Jam. 

Although I do agree the IP.B search has this feature built in.  So using that would be preferable, as long as the server can handle all the searches without bogging down normal forum operations.  Hopefully, my concerns are unfounded.

#21 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

The confusion that would ensue if this was done earlier, and the date was set as 3/2/2014 or 2/3/2014

The best answer thing should really be helpful in some of the Q&A (multiple best answer would be best, as usually the question isn't always answered in one post)

#22 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:58 PM

so please bare with us while things are moved around

I don't mind baring with you guys but I don't want anyone to move my things around.

#23 the ch8t

the ch8t

FlameFrog Games

• GMC Member
  • 701 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

I don't mind baring with you guys but I don't want anyone to move my things around.

NINJA'd! I was totally going to say something along those lines.

#24 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

NINJA'd! I was totally going to say something along those lines.

+1 to Smarty for making a crude joke.

+1 to you for not making a crude joke.

#25 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

Please merge the 3d examples with tutorials.

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#26 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

Actually... in vast majority of countries the format is Day / Month / Year. ^^"

I typically use year-month-day so the most significant unit comes first (e.g 2014-02-22).

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#27 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Well, I usually use DMY for everyday purpose (probably because day is the most "relevant" part at the time, since we tend to know what month or year it is at the moment, or something), and YMD for archiving purpose (because otherwise sorting gets funny). I have yet to find out how MDY would be practical, though. ^^"

Also, hooray for derailing the topic with date formats discussion. Though I guess we don't have much to say, anyway, until things actually will be moved around and we see the changes in question. >.<

LShy6C6.png

#28 N-cubo

N-cubo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

Good to see changes in things I never saw!  :P

P.S. There's a date standard that makes everyone happy.

#29 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

I carve lines on my walls. Dates take too much effort. I still have the ceiling and two walls to go, not including the one that is made from 10cm reinforced plexiglass.

#30 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

I love that America is the only place that uses MDY AND the Imperial system of measurements...

I feel trapped by an insolent culture...

Happy about the changes though, still hoping for the theme we had about a year ago finding it's way back on here... :whistling:  :heidy: 

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 21 February 2014 - 01:38 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#31 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

I love that America is the only place that uses MDY AND the Imperial system of measurements...

I feel trapped by an insolent culture...

Happy about the changes though, still hoping for the theme we had about a year ago finding it's way back on here... :whistling:  :heidy: 

What about Belize you uneducated American :D

#32 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

... back on topic:

I'm liking the changes so far.  Most of them, at least.  I think they create a better forum experience and improve our overall sense of well-being. 

The GMC may finally become that shining city on the hill that we all long for.  Perhaps it can imbue us with an awareness of ourselves that solidifies our spiritual sense of belonging, and reveals the true beauty inside each of us.

#33 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

Given that the forum reorganization starts tomorrow, I'd like to throw in a last-minute suggestion for protecting old inactive topics from being brought back up.

I am recently seeing an increase in the number of necro-posters. They keep posting "help me too!" requests and redundant responses to topics that have been solved. Here are some recent examples on the Q&A section alone:

There are two plugins from the IPB Marketplace that can help deal with them. This plugin can automatically close all non-pinned, inactive topics older than a given age in days. If you want to let experienced users have the choice of bringing back a topic that has become relevant again, then this plugin would also be useful.

With the arrival of the tagging system, a number of old topics may come back into plain view in the future due to the "Also tagged" gadget at the bottom of topics with tags. These topics may contain information that may no longer apply in the future (in fact, some are obsolete already). Especially with the current rapidly changing state of GM, old topics should have a way to stay dead.

GameGeisha

Latest Releases:
  • GMLinear --- Matrix and vector math in one line!
  • GMAssert --- Debug invalid values and write quick unit tests with ease!
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!
  • JSOnion v1.1 --- The stink-free way to handle JSON! (even deeply nested ones)

#34 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

I am recently seeing an increase in the number of necro-posters. They keep posting "help me too!" requests and redundant responses to topics that have been solved. Here are some recent examples on the Q&A section alone:

(snip)

There are two plugins from the IPB Marketplace that can help deal with them. (snip)

It's good to learn about the IP.B plugins.  But I have reservations about automatically closing old topics.  I don't think it's a good idea.

Certainly, bumping old topics with pointless comments is annoying.  I agree with you that those should be closed.  But in Q&A,  it means someone has a similar problem and they've bothered to search the forum to find an answer.  So this is actually a good thing.

Secondly, some posters aren't articulate enough to describe their own problem, so finding a similar topic gives them a better starting point than trying to post their own description.

Either way, it's a small number of bumps considering the traffic in Q&A.  So I think it's best to leave things as they are -- unless it becomes a real problem.

#35 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

I just hope they fix the slow loading problems and re-organize the topics in a more intelligent and functional manner.

#36 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

Off-topic isn't low enough. It needs to be moved 20 parsecs below the bottom of the screen.

#37 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

Shouldn't Off-Topic be in The Community section, and not the Games section? 

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#38 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

Well, there's a bit of mess with another topic dedicated to pretty much the same thing.

From the third post in that topic, written by Nocturne:

We wanted off topic further down the board so it's there (in Games) for now, but I don't rule out it being given a seperate section to itself at the end of the forums. There is still a bit to do though before we get to that! Please be patient... :)

LShy6C6.png

#39 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

Well, there's a bit of mess with another topic dedicated to pretty much the same thing.

From the third post in that topic, written by Nocturne:

We wanted off topic further down the board so it's there (in Games) for now, but I don't rule out it being given a seperate section to itself at the end of the forums. There is still a bit to do though before we get to that! Please be patient... :)

Don't worry, I'm watching both... ;) Given that more people look at the Community forum than they do the Announcements I'm happy to keep them both open... as long as the word is out and people can ask stuff etc... I don't mind.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#40 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

I don't mind where it is, it just doesn't seem like the right fit for that particular forum.

More than games go in Off-Topic, though most of it is silly and foolish.

EDIT: Ahh re-read Noc's post, I would fit in it's own section at the bottom, for sure.

Also load times for the GMC have finally been sorted! WOOT!

EDIT EDIT: SHADERS FORUM! *JAW FALLS OFF AND TUNNELS THROUGH THE EARTH*

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 22 February 2014 - 01:31 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#41 xygthop3

xygthop3

You may know me from such forums as "Shaders"

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

EDIT EDIT: SHADERS FORUM! *JAW FALLS OFF AND TUNNELS THROUGH THE EARTH*

This should bring some much needed attention to a lonely forum. Need some more great devs to notice the topic and see what they can produce!

#42 MishMash

MishMash

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1124 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

Joy to the world! It's shader time :D! I really hope more people put some time into shaders, they have so much potential, especially with 3D!

VitalitySig18thMar.png

#43 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

I'm thinking of trying to delve into Shaders of my own, I am rather good at learning new languages(given time) and I have a great idea for one!

Back on topic:

The Forum is looking really nice guys(and girls? I have no idea if YoYo employs ANY women.) Keep up the awesome work, and remember all of my topics are to be left alone.(lol)

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#44 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

I don't mind where it is, it just doesn't seem like the right fit for that particular forum.

Here's how it fits into the Games section:

STEP 1

Post a vague Team Request.

While you wait for a response, waste time in Off Topic

STEP 2

Finally, post your WIP topic.

Instead of finishing it, waste time in Off Topic.

STEP 3

Finally, post your finished game in Creations.

Instead of addressing the bugs people find, waste time in Off Topic.

STEP 4

Complain that nobody plays your game...  by posting in Off Topic.

See?  Off Topic fits in perfectly.  

#45 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

Here's how it fits into the Games section:

STEP 1

Post a vague Team Request.

While you wait for a response, waste time in Off Topic

STEP 2

Finally, post your WIP topic.

Instead of finishing it, waste time in Off Topic.

STEP 3

Finally, post your finished game in Creations.

Instead of addressing the bugs people find, waste time in Off Topic.

STEP 4

Complain that nobody plays your game...  by posting in Off Topic.

See?  Off Topic fits in perfectly.  

True, you have opened my eyes. I say it stays where it is!

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#46 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

Yes, it does seem strange to force Games to the bottom of a forum for Game Making software.

Maybe have it right under Community, that way the focus is on Community Support and Games. 

That may make newer users feel more comfortable on the forums if you broadcast that type of message! :)

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#47 the ch8t

the ch8t

FlameFrog Games

• GMC Member
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

It's a pretty nice layout, but I still maintain that the WIP & Completed games sections should be higher. Right now, they're still way down at the bottom :(

I agree, but I think for the vast majority of users, the forums are a place to go and get help with game maker. Those who use the WIP & Completed sections know where to find them. The people who are new to the forum are usually looking for questions and answers or tutorials.

#48 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

There are still more changes to come... :thumbsup: But the games section will remain at the bottom of the board, I'm afraid since (as the ch8t says) the primary goal of this forumis programming and technical support.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#49 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

Just curious, are topic ratings (the star ones, around the top of the topic page) going to be shown in forum view as well? I suppose that could allow people to look for higher quality content more easily, maybe? ^^"

LShy6C6.png

#50 CloudBomb

CloudBomb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

Just a suggestion for forums like Studio and the like, there seems to be a lot of newbies running around, more-so after the 100 billion copies of GM you guys have/are giving away... and I think the bit at the top isn't helpful.

Perhaps.. something like this? Just a thought!
leBuQC4.png