17 replies to this topic

#1 James.Foreman

James.Foreman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

We want 2014 to be a spectacular year for GameMaker Games!

We will be choosing a 'Game of the Month' from our showcase at the end of each month in 2014. The 12 monthly winners will then be entered into our Showcase Game of the Year Contest in which the public votes to crown the 2014 winner.

January's Game of the Month goes to the simply stunning:
Heart Machine's 'Hyper Light Drifter.'

View the showcase page here:http://yoyogames.com/showcase/58

If you want your game to be considered for the showcase, submit your game(s) to us here:http://yoyogames.com/showcase/submit

Edited by James.Foreman, 03 February 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#2 Xnite

Xnite

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

Was really excited to learn that Hyper Light Drifter was being made in GM. I backed the game, and its just cool to know we are using the same tool as this magnificent looking game.

What I really want to know is how they are planning to port to PS4 and Vita. 

And more to the point, with the amount of high quality games coming out of the GM community increasing, why isn't Sony talking to Yoyo about getting export modules for PS4 and Vita. They are apparently hot for indies right now, and GM is proving itself as a tool for quality indie titles. We really need progress made on the console front. Unity have console exports, and with there 2D update, its looking like an attractive alternative, particularly if you want your game on consoles.

I know Yoyo are trying. Can we get an update to the progress?

#3 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

SQUIRREL!!!!!

#4 benf2

benf2

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

That game looks fantastic!

Congratz to the devs.

#5 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

I was actually surprised this was a GM game. I genuinely thought it was Unity, checked out and followed the Kickstarter and everything. It's very pretty.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#6 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Squirrell!!!!

#7 Janette5

Janette5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

It's great that you're supporting the games like this.

However, you have games that mostly men play (typically violent / platforms etc.)  and games that mostly women play (casual games)  and I just get the impression that any male dominant game is going to win and any female dominant game is going to lose by virtue of the type of game (just a hunch).  Can you imagine if someone had to submit a children's game that might be great but in no way, based on a video demo, would it stand the slightest chance of winning against the January winner for example.  Would it not make more sense to at the end of the year have a best game in different categories?

#8 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

A game is a game... It's only the person viewing it that sees it as "masculine" or "feminine", and this viewpoint is caused by the society and culture that you live in... Any games that I have seen actively marketed as "male" games, have generally been pretty badly received (look at Dead Rising 2, for example).  I also wonder why you label "platforms" and "violent" as exclusively male gaming experiences? Mario is a platform game and certainly doesn't fall under the category of a "male" game!! Nor Sonic nor a billion other platform games, and violence is not the exclusive realm of the male player. You haven't heard my wife when she's playing Skyrim!!! Or this lovely old dear who plays COD...

Have you actually played this game, btw? It is one of the most remarkable and amazing rpg/action games I have seen, with a great deal of style and interesting gameplay which I can see attracting both sexes equally due to the depth of the gameplay mechanics.

And your comment about submitting a childrens game has nothing to do with perceived sexual stereotyping and is completely separate issue... if there were enough games submitted to warrant sub-categories then I imagine such a thing would be done, but currently there probably isn't.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#9 Shadowrend

Shadowrend

Master of Shadows

• GMC Member
  • 3071 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

Does it have to be made in Studio? Some people don't have Studio, yet they make great games (not talking about me here).

Edited by Shadowrend, 04 February 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#10 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

No, it doesn't. A number of those games are 8.1...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#11 Gizmo199

Gizmo199

Dapper Dan Man Band

• GMC Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

Heck, anyone remember arc22? That was an awesome rpg made with ( if I recall correctly ) gm6.

Games: Shadow of the sea | Druknsmas Eve | LOST (alpha) | The Machine

Need epic game music? check out my soundcloud series EPIC GAME MUSIC

and give me some feed back :D

#12 Director_X

Director_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hmm... how is he offering a PS4/Wii version? When did GM start supporting PS4/Wii? confused.pngconfused.png

From his Kickstarter page HERE

Note:  $10 gets you the game on PC, Mac or Linux, Steam or DRM-free. $15 and up lets you choose PS4, Vita, Wii U, or OUYA!

Edited by Director_X, 05 February 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#13 Chinafreak

Chinafreak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Hmm... how is he offering a PS4/Wii version? When did GM start supporting PS4/Wii? confused.pngconfused.png

Note:  $10 gets you the game on PC, Mac or Linux, Steam or DRM-free. $15 and up lets you choose PS4, Vita, Wii U, or OUYA!

Your anwers is: Squrriiieeeelll!!

#14 proon

proon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

Your anwers is: Squrriiieeeelll!!

Here's another answer for that question

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pj9FX2brizY

MHSbanner.png

#15 Janette5

Janette5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

A game is a game... It's only the person viewing it that sees it as "masculine" or "feminine", and this viewpoint is caused by the society and culture that you live in... Any games that I have seen actively marketed as "male" games, have generally been pretty badly received (look at Dead Rising 2, for example).  I also wonder why you label "platforms" and "violent" as exclusively male gaming experiences? Mario is a platform game and certainly doesn't fall under the category of a "male" game!! Nor Sonic nor a billion other platform games, and violence is not the exclusive realm of the male player. You haven't heard my wife when she's playing Skyrim!!! Or this lovely old dear who plays COD...

Have you actually played this game, btw? It is one of the most remarkable and amazing rpg/action games I have seen, with a great deal of style and interesting gameplay which I can see attracting both sexes equally due to the depth of the gameplay mechanics.

And your comment about submitting a childrens game has nothing to do with perceived sexual stereotyping and is completely separate issue... if there were enough games submitted to warrant sub-categories then I imagine such a thing would be done, but currently there probably isn't.

I had meant to make a suggestion not start a war but I do want to point out that I had not once used the word exclusively in my post so I don’t think your answer was entirely fair. 

Also I am not disputing that January’s winning game is something truly special, in fact I did say it would be hard to compete with it.

I note as you say you don’t receive enough submissions to split the categories, you’d have to decide which comes first, the chicken or the egg.

#16 Director_X

Director_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

No one knows the answer?

#17 Janette5

Janette5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

No one knows the answer?

It isn't available on those platforms yet.  You could google the title and you'll find quite a lot of info on it.

http://www.ign.com/a...-holiday-season

#18 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

That game looks absolutely gorgeous!

Also, this GOTM/GOTY thing is a fantastic idea!

2a7ubuv.jpg