9 replies to this topic

#1 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

Aarrh... What the hell does that mean, anyway?  Whatever, it seemed like a fitting name for my Jam 13 entry.

Download Link

Studio zip file -- 3 MB (on mediafire)

My throat hurts from practicing that sound.  Basically, it's a shooting game.  But mostly about ballistics.  Because you have to arc the shots to sink the pirate ships without sinking the supply ships nearby.  And the twist is that the ships are afloat on a waving wave surface.  So if the cannonball misses, it makes waves -- BIG waves.  Very cool.  I had great fun making this effect.

Here's some screens (scaled down from 1000 x 600):

jam13_fort_zpscf956df0.png

jam13_intro_zpseb583ece.png

Another screen

Spoiler

The graphics are all mine -- except for the palm tree in the mini-game.  Everything is drawn in InkScape.  I'm really starting to love that program.

I started out making a "cut the rope" type game, but got bored with that.  So I included it as a mini-game.  You can play it first, or after the other game is complete.   Here's the mini-game screen:

Spoiler

#2 CrazyGuyGames

CrazyGuyGames

YYGF Member

• GMC Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

I tried it, I like it, although it feels quite slow for my taste.

It would also have been good if there were some mountains in the background or clouds rather than an empty sky.

AZGIWjf.png

aSzDlXB.png

#3 olyvian

olyvian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

First of I would like to say: them waves! :thumbsup:
Really like the gameplay, although it was incredible hard aiming. I ended up sinking 8 pirateships on both of my tries. Out of thoose 8, probably 20 green ships! I felt more like a pirate rather than helping the tax payers. :pirate:

I was amused playing this game, but when one of the pirateship was out of range of my cannon I was a bit irritated by the fact it was still there and I couldn't do anything about it. Simply putting something like a can of burning oil on the top of the castle before the pirateship could reach land would indeed help out of the frustration, wouldn't you agree? :)

Also, level 2: I would say giving the area a little more space would help out a lot since ca. 50%++ of the time the pirateship were out of my range of the cannon.

The mini-game actually fit quite nice into the game, (which was super hard btw :P ) it could potentially be some sort of mini game after you beat a level which would give more bonuses and upgrades.

I do realize it's made in 72 hours, but the potential of this game is really good. For instance having points or coins instead of +1 so the player can upgrade the cannon to shoot some kind of (perhaps) bouncing balls etc. and having different kind of mini-game for each chapter/level and some kind of map of each locations to protect would draw the player in psychologically and invest more time into it. (Since they know they have to protect the queen etc.) I would love too see some of thoose features if you decide to make a fully fledged game out it. :)

Anyways, if you decide to expand the game please keep me notified. Otherwise, great job :thumbsup: +1. I enjoyed it, decpite being so short. :)

arrrgh.png

Arrrgh, finally did it! :D

EDIT: Haha, was it you that made that "arrgh" sound? Well played! ;)

Edited by olyvian, 28 January 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#4 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Yup, it's that merciless lady again. ^^

From my post in official Votes topic:

Aarrh! by chance
Now for the game of member whose username suggests consulting probabilist, avatar suggests consulting detective, yet who is, in fact, consulting physicist. Having a record of productions involving physics in one way or another it's not surprising that "Aarrh!" follows that pattern.
That game actually consists of two smaller ones: a minigame which involves an idea ultimately ditched by creator, and the main game. I decided to start with the minigame, where I had to burn cut the ropes on which treasure chest and skull were hung, so that both object would land on treasure. It took me much more time than I'd like (there was little room for error), but I managed to do it. Well, chest stood on island, and skull stood on chest, so I guess I did it, though the game didn't acknowledge my feat with some "YOU WIN!" message or anything similar. Hmph!
After that I started the main game, as it later turned out, not much longer than that single level of minigame. I was supposed to defend Puerto de Chancé from pirates, while letting supply ships in. Physics involved projectile motion (presented on cannonballs) and fluid (?) mechanics, which I personally found to be rather... interesting. O.o After sinking some pirate ships, I've found that there is *gasp* level 2 (game instructions didn't mention that this game actually is divided into levels and is not Your Generic Survival™). However, once I completed even that one, instead of level 3 I saw a screen showing that I sunk 16 out of 20 ships. Hoped for a bit more, though it's not bad in comparison with floating isles game...
As for presentation, the graphics were... alright. Not really something exceptionally wonderful, though not eye-burning, either (I still see quite a room for improvement, though; good luck with mastering Inkscape!). Sounds involved some seagulls and aarrhs (hopefully neither was harmed when creating this game). They didn't get into Skullgirls' OST way, so I can even forgive lack of muting option.
Overall, I found that game to be quite unremarkable - not terrible enough to induce rage, but not good enough to be really remembered. Also, considering the consistency of that blue stuff which might have been supposed to be water, I think the title "Jelly Roger" would work better. ^^"

OVERALL: 3/10

Gameplay: 3/10
Story: 3/10
Presentation: 5/10
Use of Theme: Inverted - pirates are enemies only
Use of Handicap: Unsurprising, but appropriate
Devblog: Occasionally updated, involved some nice screeny stuff.

Pros: aarrh sound effect, longer than floating isles game
Cons: boring, vague instructions

Aarrghh! :pirate:

Edited by Alice, 29 January 2014 - 07:23 PM.

LShy6C6.png

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

@CrazyGuyGames:  Good point.  Some mountains and/or a better sky would add visual interest.  Thanks.

@olyvian:  Holy crap!  You actually completed the mini-game.  I didn't think anyone would actually to that.  :P  Nice rope cutting skills.  And thanks for the review comments.  I like your suggestion about different cannon balls, and mini-games for each level.

...it's not bad in comparison with floating isles game... <snip>

...longer than floating isles game..

What's the "floating isles" game?  Haven't seen it.  Either way, thanks for the thorough review.  +1 A good title suggestions there too:  Jelly Roger.   I like it.

And you also completed the mini-game.   Amazing.  +1

#6 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:43 AM

nice little game. could have been more challenging. i got a kick out of "aaarrrhhh"

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#7 dwojityv

dwojityv

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

That waves are sooo amazing.

Play:

FlappZ Bird HERE

I wanna stay alive HERE

Somewhere in the Space HERE

#8 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:30 AM

Cool. Simple and fun! How did you do the waves?

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#9 kABUSE

kABUSE

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

I don't like the basic concept of the game, because I think the balance between graphics and gameplay is bad. I would have prefered some more variety so that the game doesn't get boring within the first 5 minutes of gameplay.

It sure looks amazing for a jam creation, but the effort kinda feels wasted because of the lack of content.

Edited by kABUSE, 01 March 2014 - 10:35 PM.

#10 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:44 AM

I understand Commander Norrington's (Pirates of the Caribbean) pain now. We are now bonded across time in our hatred of pirates. The next time I watch that movie, he's going to be the hero in my mind.

This is a well put together game with a lot of potential for expansion. Larger ships that can take more than one hit, smaller ships, multiple cannons with different stocks of cannonballs and different vantage points to shoot from, tactical anti-pirate nukes (kidding),..the possibilities are endless.

It was annoying when pirates rammed directly up behind or in front of a supply ship, because they're very difficult to hit. I had to choose between letting them both come through, wasting a hail of cannonballs to form a wall of destruction to get the pirate, or being ruthless and destroying them both. Which could be what you're going for, but I think it might be more fair if the ships passed behind each other without colliding. Giving a few more stats at the end of the game (accuracy, supply ships killed, etc.) could also be a good addition.

The water is a bit like zero-g jelly, but it was more entertaining than if the water behaved realistically. Sometimes a supply ship would flip nearly upside down because of the waves, but they eventually righted themselves. Speaking of physics, once I realized that cannonballs could collide with each other I began trying to pull off trick shots. Amazing fun. My proudest moment is firing a cannonball, realizing it was going to hit a supply ship, and shooting it out of the air with another cannonball. If you played up the wacky physics angle of this game, I'd definitely be entertained.

My favorite part was probably the opening screen, where I could just shoot cannonballs almost willy-nilly. If you made the opening screen a freeplay version of Aarrh where you have infinite cannonballs and the various ships went across the screen as normal, I could probably sit there playing that for a solid 30 minutes.

Finally, curse your mini-game! :P That thing was frustrating.

EDIT: I just discovered that if you fire a cannonball straight up into the air and off of the top of the screen, it doesn't come back down.

Edited by Oracizan, 21 March 2014 - 01:54 AM.