TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

The Pirate That Snook

Download: http://sandbox.yoyog...rate-that-snook

You are the great sneaky Pirate Snook, who has landed on a desert island seeking the many hidden treasures rumoured to be buried here. It won't be easy though with the island at work against you.

v1_ss_1.png

v1_ss_3.png

Made in less than 72 hours for the 13th GMC Jam.

Edited by TerraFriedSheep, 29 January 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

This is a tight little game.  I've played a couple times so far and everything works nicely.  The music and graphics are pleasing and the gameplay is fun.  The idea behind the game is pretty familiar, but it's executed well.  I enjoy these kinds of casual games.

I haven't played past Level 2 yet, so I'm not sure if the graphics and/or puzzle style stays the same for all levels.  That's really the only recommendation I could make:  add some variety to the puzzles.  And maybe change up the hazards a bit.  You could add rolling balls instead of the flying blobs.  Or monsters that eat you.  Or skeletons of dead pirates.  Maybe you have some variation already... so I'll see when I get to higher levels.

But even as is, it's fun and it looks great.  And with the opening screen options, you've paid good attention to detail here.  Good use of theme and handicap too.  Nice job.  :thumbsup:

#3 olyvian

olyvian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

I only played to the volcano level, but I miss a bit of randomization for the paths, although it will make the game a lot harder it would also spice the game up a bit. For consideration perhaps adding 3 lives for each level or something, in that case the player doesn't need to spawn all the way back from the way he came from, but for a small little puzzle like this it really hasen't that much effect after all. As for the plants, adding different for the (cocos?) shooting direction would perhaps increase the gameplay and make the AI a little more lively.

With that being said I liked the look, I really felt like I was hunting for secret treasures with the map and the puzzles. :)

Overall this was a neat little game, the music and the casual play made the atmosphere really great and it was fun to play and held the pirate theme well. Good work  :thumbsup: +1!

Edit: You should consider changing color to the background as it blends in with the level itself, also making the pirate more noticable by sizing him up a bit or by adding a different color which would make the player more focused on the character. :)

Edited by olyvian, 29 January 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#4 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

This is a tight little game.  I've played a couple times so far and everything works nicely.  The music and graphics are pleasing and the gameplay is fun.  The idea behind the game is pretty familiar, but it's executed well.  I enjoy these kinds of casual games.

I haven't played past Level 2 yet, so I'm not sure if the graphics and/or puzzle style stays the same for all levels.  That's really the only recommendation I could make:  add some variety to the puzzles.  And maybe change up the hazards a bit.  You could add rolling balls instead of the flying blobs.  Or monsters that eat you.  Or skeletons of dead pirates.  Maybe you have some variation already... so I'll see when I get to higher levels.

But even as is, it's fun and it looks great.  And with the opening screen options, you've paid good attention to detail here.  Good use of theme and handicap too.  Nice job.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comment! I realised when I had made the original post that I hadn't actually included any gameplay screenshots, so you're forgiven for suggesting adding variety ;) As the player gets through certain areas of the map new hazards appear related to that area, and are then present in future levels too. I aimed to keep it simple at first so a couple of levels were easy enough to complete (I just hope they weren't too hard and I've had a classic case of developers ease of play).

I only played to the volcano level, but I miss a bit of randomization for the paths, although it will make the game a lot harder it would also spice the game up a bit. For consideration perhaps adding 3 lives for each level or something, in that case the player doesn't need to spawn all the way back from the way he came from, but for a small little puzzle like this it really hasen't that much effect after all. As for the plants, adding different for the (cocos?) shooting direction would perhaps increase the gameplay and make the AI a little more lively.

With that being said I liked the look, I really felt like I was hunting for secret treasures with the map and the puzzles. :)

Overall this was a neat little game, the music and the casual play made the atmosphere really great and it was fun to play and held the pirate theme well. Good work  :thumbsup: +1!

Edit: You should consider changing color to the background as it blends in with the level itself, also making the pirate more noticable by sizing him up a bit or by adding a different color which would make the player more focused on the character. :)

Thanks for your comments, you're the first to suggest implementing things to make the gameplay harder! I have played through a few times since releasing the game, and some of the late levels are insanely hard. I added a speedrun mode with online highscores (or online fastest times, rather), and so far I haven't managed to do all 10 levels in much less than 9 minutes in one go, although that allows room for much improvement. I was wondering whether it would be worth adding a checkpoint at a certain point in each level- perhaps somewhere with an extra danger involved but the payoff would be that were you to die, you could in theory still finish the level relatively quickly. Having got the speedrun all set up I went ahead and uploaded it, so feel free to give it a shot :thumbsup:

P.S, yep, they're coconuts :P If I get time, I'd like to improve the graphics, which goes hand in hand with your comment about the background blending with the foreground.