HANDICAP: The graphics and gameplay of your entry must be entirely 2D
So, it's the beginning of the year and that means we're all recovering from our excesses during the winter holidays.. and.... The Fantastic GMC Jam #13 is here!!! Time to create a 72 hour GameMaker masterpiece with which to scare away all the opposition and win the approval (or not!) of our peers. This time around the Jam will run from Saturday 25th of January through Monday 27th and will be 72 hours dedicated purely to game development. Are you ready?
For those of you that aren't initiated in the ways of the Jam, please read on...
WHAT IS IT?
The Jam is a community event that we organise to encourage people to experiment with GM and make something that will be interesting or entertaining within the limited timescale of 72 hours.
WHEN IS IT?
- Competition officially Starts Saturday 25th January (but hype usually starts up on Friday before midnight when the theme is announced)
- 72 hours long from 00:00 GMT Saturday 25th ...to... 23:59 GMT Monday 27th
- Each jam has a theme, and participants are very much encouraged to use it
- This jam has a handicap too and you are also encouraged to use it
- Using the theme is NOT obligatory, nor is using the handicap, but using either will be valued when voting and using BOTH gets extra Kudos!
- To encourage use of theme, the highest-voted theme-based game gets to choose the theme for next Jam.
- The theme will not be revealed until just before the start of the Jam to prevent any advantages.
- All games are eligible (themed and non-themed and with or without handicap), but voters should take "use of theme" into account. Remember: non-theme games can win, but they CANNOT pick the next Jam's theme (see above).
- Voters choose 1st, 2nd and 3rd place as well as three special votes to "Best use of theme", "Best Presentation", and the "Best Devblog".
- It is OBLIGATORY that when voting you leave feedback about WHY you voted for the game(s) you chose, even if it's only a few lines to say you loved the game idea or whatever. Failure to do so may result in your votes being removed.
- It is NOT obligatory to play nor review all the games! Honestly, when dealing with so many games, it is a difficult and sometimes daunting task to play through all of them and then vote. So don't do it! Play as many as you feel comfortable with and then vote for which of those that you liked, leaving comments and feedback where possible. Don't worry, the SSE voting system that we use will compensate. If everyone does this then all games WILL get played, and have feedback, which is what this is all about, and I'd prefer to see 5 quality reviews accompanied by five votes to 60 votes and no reviews.
- In order to encourage friendly community spirit, we ask that members not vote for their own game and please refrain from asking friends/family to do so if they are not part of this community. This has happened before and if you are found out your game may be removed from the Jam.
- Any form of cheating will result in the instant removal of your game from the jam and being blacklisted for all further community events.
- All games must be original creations specifically for the Jam, but you may use whatever resources you wish to complete the game: EG. dll, scripts, sprites and sounds etc etc etc...
- You may submit as many games as you wish, but only the highest rated game in the final vote will be eligible for winning any prizes.
- Games must be posted in the Official Games Topic before the finish deadline for the Jam, and posting a topic in the Games (or WIP) forum here at the GMC is recommended if you want feedback and opinions as the Games Topic is ONLY FOR POSTING GAMES. Hosting is up to the individual user. You may also include and update a development log in your official games topic post.
- The Official Games Topic must contain a link to your game and a short description.
- HTML5 Games are permitted, BUT MUST HAVE DIRECT LINK TO DOWNLOADABLE .EXE VERSION posted in the Official Games Topic.
- People are welcome to use any outside sites, and are also welcome to promote such sites, but the posting of topics and the voting will be done on the GMC.
- Teams are encouraged and can be organised by you with whomever you wish or you can participate in a random team (see below for more details)
- The Community Prize will be as before... A special graphic/banner, bragging rights and (if your game is a themed game) the possibility of choosing the next jam theme.
- Prizes will also be offered as members of the community contribute whatever the feel appropriate. EG: Coverage on their web site, custom graphics for the game, a video of the gameplay for YouTube...anything!
COMMUNITY PRIZE LIST
These are prizes kindly and very generously offered to us by GMC members. Donate your time/experience/whatever to this community endeavor! If you wish to add a community prize (game reviews, advertising etc...) please send a PM to me and they will add it to this post.
PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR COMMUNITY PRIZE IN THIS TOPIC AS WE MAY NOT SEE IT!
Try not to let all of the prizes dominate 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (but please do not reward last place!).
You may choose who gets your prize including: competitors, reviewers, winners of specific categories, or even the best development log!
- GVmakesGames: I'll review my favourite entry + 2 random games on my blog, and I'll send the source code of my entry (GM:Studio Standard project, even if it's not completed) to my favourite entry.
- NAL: 4th, 5th and 6th place will receive naming rights for a donationware font I create in 2014, as well as the (non-exclusive) right to use it commercially. ALL entrants, and ANYONE that reviews EVERY game, will receive Mega Font Pack 1 containing 90 fonts I made between 2011 and mid-2013 with full commercial rights. PM me (NAL) when you meet either or both criteria for download information.
- Yal: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will receive a [lousy quality] digital photograph of an custom, A4-sized pencil-drawn concept art of one (1) character of their choice.
- jake_president: My prize for the winner of the jam is a gift code for the excellent game Crysis 2 Maximum Edition on Steam.
- Spydog: I will write a beautiful poem for each of the overall top 3 games, as well as for my personal favorite entry
- HayManMarc: I will offer the "HayMan GM Community Chest Prize" & a virtual pat on the back to 1st place. I will also attempt an animated review of the 1st prize game. Also, for 21st place I will make a custom logo, and for 42nd place I will write a silly poem featuring their game.
- Katipo Games: I'll write a review on my favourite 3-5 entries on my website: katipogames.com
- LukanSpellweaver: I will be reviewing all of the entrants. I will also do a YouTube review of my top three and the actual top three.
- IceMaster: I will volunteer to spruce up an open source GM 8.1, GM 8.0, or GM: Studio file with graphic special effects, for the person who wins and the person who comes second.
: In honor of every place I've taken so far†, I'd like to offer a prize to each person whose game places 1st, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 13th or 19th, under the condition that these winners each also review every game in the jam. To each of these lucky individuals, I'm offering a full 4K fan art illustration as well as any game on Steam of their choice up to $20 USD in value. (For ties, I'll divide the Steam allowance by the number of contestants sharing a position.)
†1:Rainbows Below, 3:Circle 17, 6:Tripod, 7:Department, 13:Serpent, 19:Twice
- Roflstompz: Steam Games: Monaco - 14th place; Trine 2: Complete Story - 17th place; Takedown: Red Sabre - 20th place
- ThunkGames: I would like to write a (possibley terrible) song about the winner and their winning entry.
- fyaopo: I am willing to compose a (contemporary or otherwise) piece of music to the 1st and 2nd place winner's specifications. Also, since this kind of thing is stuff I usually do for free anyway (sans the contemporary part), I will also write a short story about anything the author provides, given it makes sense.
If there are any ties, I am willing to do this twice or thrice.
- koder007 is looking for a team
Support Banners (by Greenblizzard)
Please add a support banner to your forum signature.
Edited by GameDevDan, 11 April 2014 - 09:52 AM.