147 replies to this topic

#101 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

PSD is not an accepted format for GMS. PNG or JPG only... And matheus.reis, make a separate topic for your issue, and include codes etc... so that people can look at it properly. Your post rreally doesn't explain much and this topic is not the place to discuss anything in depth. Oh, and the new IDE is not in 1.3.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#102 Kian

Kian

Unplugged

• GMC Member
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

@Nocturne, I know, i'm not trying to import a .PSD. But this happens even when im scrolling down the explorer window with the down arrow on the keypad.

I have to actively *not* select a .PSD file in the explorer, or I have to keep on closing these error pop ups.

@infeckgames       | infeck.com           | bunnAI | CyberLight Rider | Zombie Clicker

27531.png Vp3VoKc.png

#103 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

@Nocturne, I know, i'm not trying to import a .PSD. But this happens even when im scrolling down the explorer window with the down arrow on the keypad.

I have to actively *not* select a .PSD file in the explorer, or I have to keep on closing these error pop ups.

Okay, please file a bug and include your TraceIDE file (found in the localappdata folder).

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#104 atower79

atower79

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

@Nocturne, on the new bug reporting page I don't see a place to upload a file like there was on the Mantis Bug Tracker page.  How would I upload a TraceIDE.log file or an example game if needed?

#105 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:51 AM

@Nocturne, on the new bug reporting page I don't see a place to upload a file like there was on the Mantis Bug Tracker page.  How would I upload a TraceIDE.log file or an example game if needed?

You'll need to add it to your dropbox account and link to that (or use an uppload site like Solid Files or something)...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#106 atower79

atower79

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

I just don't understand yet, why if I set window sie to 1024x768, on fullscreen it's aligned to left and got black border on right... not centered and with border on both sides.

I am having a similar problem as gnysek.  The view does not scale to the window size as it does in the regular build.  I can adjust view height, but the width doesn't scale to the width of the window anymore.  I can't tell if this is a bug or if something changed.  I tried playing with the application_surface to see if I needed to scale that, but it doesn't seem to have much effect.  Anyone else having trouble with view scaling?

#107 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

You need to get the application position just before drawing - because it could change each frame as it's resized.

#108 ThePC007

ThePC007

Chickenator

• GMC Member
  • 1062 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

I updated to the EA version and apparently my the resolution of my game breaks completely when running it with it. I reported that bug, but haven't gotten a reply, yet.

This is what it looks like: 

Polygion_resolutionerror.png

Actually the game runs a code at the start that sets the size of every room and the size of the window to the size of the display. In v1.2 it works just fine, but in the EA it looks terrible. 

Edited by ThePC007, 09 February 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#109 OneManP

OneManP

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Are this is the new GM ? or it is just and update for gm:studio ?

#110 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

Neither.

The Early Access Build has the updates, new features and bug fixes that will eventually be implemented into the general release of Game Maker.

http://yoyogames.com/tech_blog/47

Prior to the EAB YYGs updated directly into the general release version, this could have the undesirable effect of bugs sneaking in, potential incompatibilities, and less real-world testing of new features.

By vetting changes through the EAB first, the general release is more stable while also giving developers a look and the ability to test what will be released in future versions.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#111 OneManP

OneManP

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

Neither.

The Early Access Build has the updates, new features and bug fixes that will eventually be implemented into the general release of Game Maker.

http://yoyogames.com/tech_blog/47

Prior to the EAB YYGs updated directly into the general release version, this could have the undesirable effect of bugs sneaking in, potential incompatibilities, and less real-world testing of new features.

By vetting changes through the EAB first, the general release is more stable while also giving developers a look and the ability to test what will be released in future versions.

Oh.. there are the "Demo" of new features in gamemaker early access, that gonna be in gamemaker studio ?

#112 atower79

atower79

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

You need to get the application position just before drawing - because it could change each frame as it's resized.

Ok thanks Mike that helped. :thumbsup:

#113 VikingAntics

VikingAntics

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Any chance of a new build of EA this week?  The error with switch (string) in the last release is a roadblock for me and it would be great to use the new features in the debugger.

Thanks!

FF_Viking-Antics_Small.png               ParticleGizmo.png

#114 Lighteningmoon

Lighteningmoon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

this looks great! one thing i will  like to point out, and idk if it is meant to be like this or not… but its a spelling thing i think. xD
In the "Android and iOS native Extension support" 
part, there is:
"Last, but my no means least, Extensions. "
 i be leave it was meant to be:
" Last, but by no means least, Extensions."
it might not be anything, just something i wanted to know.  x3

ps: i don't know why my text is black… it is annoying and i don't know how to change it >.<

[MOD: fixed formatting]

Leader of Lightning productions PM me if you are looking to join

if i helped, please click the (+) sign.

#115 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

Sorry, posted in the wrong topic by accident!

Forgive me mighty Nocturne!

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 14 February 2014 - 10:14 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#116 NokFrt

NokFrt

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

When we can expect a new early access version? I really like the debugger, unfortunatelly I can't use it with my current game because of one basic bug - ++/-- operands don't work with arrays.

Edited by NokFrt, 16 February 2014 - 06:37 AM.

gold_n_zombies_sign.png  monsterblocks_sign.png  atoms_sign.png

#117 nikurizo

nikurizo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

I updated to the EA version and apparently my the resolution of my game breaks completely when running it with it. I reported that bug, but haven't gotten a reply, yet.

Actually the game runs a code at the start that sets the size of every room and the size of the window to the size of the display. In v1.2 it works just fine, but in the EA it looks terrible. 

When you resize your window in EA the application_surface isn't resized (wich is good), to solve it you just have to scale the "application surface" every time you update your window size.

surface_resize(application_surface, view_wport, view_hport);
window_set_size(view_wport, view_hport);

#118 ThePC007

ThePC007

Chickenator

• GMC Member
  • 1062 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

When you resize your window in EA the application_surface isn't resized (wich is good), to solve it you just have to scale the "application surface" every time you update your window size.

surface_resize(application_surface, view_wport, view_hport);
window_set_size(view_wport, view_hport);

Thanks. I might try that. 

EDIT: Yay, it worked! 

Edited by ThePC007, 18 February 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#119 proon

proon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

I hope the next update will fix a critical bug for android devices. Some devices when run an Early Access app they get black screen and go back to the homescreen.

I'm talking about android 2.3 to 3.0, and some android 4.0+ like Samsung Galaxy Duos, Galaxy Duos TV and Premium Galaxy Wifi. That's the ones i know for now.

MHSbanner.png

#120 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

the latest early access build (out yesterday) fixes that issue... download it now.

Russell

#121 proon

proon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

the latest early access build (out yesterday) fixes that issue... download it now.

Russell

Ok thank you!

MHSbanner.png

#122 alexandervrs

alexandervrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

I found that when resizing views and whatnot, if you have window_set_size() in your script, it can cause issues due to the function not affecting views anymore. For me removing it fixed the issue for the most part.

#123 ivandashsmith

ivandashsmith

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Is anyone having troubles with "room_goto" at all? I have found that my game is not switching rooms and sometimes it does and there are a number of carry over issues from the previous room (like music not playing in the next one)

Please ignore this question. In trying to debunk some framerate issues I checked "persistent" in my rooms thinking it was framerate specific. Restarting a room failed to work and I couldn't figure out why. Way to go me. HA!

Edited by ivandashsmith, 03 March 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#124 obscene

obscene

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3171 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

I am thinking of moving my game over to EA to make use of the post-draw event to tackle some issues I am having. Is there any reason I would not want to pretty much move everything over to the EA version and continue forward on my game until 1.3 comes out? Anyone have any bad experiences? Is someone going to come along and say "Sorry but EA files cannot be imported into 1.3" or something bizzarre that would make my face melt off?

#125 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

All the EA files convert back to 1.2 just fine(minus new events and code) So I would assume your work will be safe.

My current project is being made in EA for the point_in_point functions, and it's stable enough for larger scale projects.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#126 obscene

obscene

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3171 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:22 AM

I'm having trouble getting my head around what has changed between 1.2 and the EA that is screwing up my GUI. Basically I have a view size of 1600x667 and my game has always opened up in a nice letterbox with black bars top and bottom. I really have no control over it, it's just what happens. When I used Draw GUI, 0,0 would draw in the top left corner of my letterbox, but now it draws at the true screen 0,0 which is outside the letterbox and breaking my game visually at least. Trying to figure out the best way to proceed without some hack that will be defeated on the next update.

Edit: After a few hours I have decided I hate 1.3 lol. So many of my effects are all messed up. I put a noise effect in Post Draw and it gets drawn only in the black bars above and below my screen as if it's getting drawn AFTER the room view insteaed of "POST". I move it to End Draw and it looks great but somehow my vignette effect which is exactly sized is now out of alignment no matter what I change it to. Put it in draw GUI and I get flickering that I never had before and the vignette is still out of alignment.  Argh!

Putting all these problems off til the future and going back to 1.2

Edited by obscene, 05 March 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#127 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:46 AM

I used both now.

EA for my cutting edge video playing DLL's

1.2 for, well who knows why, probably because that is what the majority of my projects are in :)

What is the general view on supplying 'end result' programs created in EA? Risky or not?

#128 garrettj94

garrettj94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

Any ETA on 1.3 release? I need the screen resize for my app. Would it be smart to use the early access screen resize for my final app? Or should I wait for the official release.

#129 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 613 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

If it compiles, and game works without errors, you can publish your game. Of course it's possible that with final 1.3 you will need to adjust code in some way to make it working again, but it shouldn't be anything big.

Previously game developer at YoYoGames, Currently PHP developer in DB-Team
Programming and working with: GML/C#/PHP/JS/MySql/CSS/HTML

Follow 
@GameMakerUpdate to get info about latest versions of GM when they are released: https://twitter.com/GameMakerUpdate or visit website.

(it's managed by bot, not by human, remember)

#130 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

I have been building my game in the EA builds for the draw pipeline stuff and the only errors I get are with Vector Art(Biggest flaw). The Vector Art likes to throw Access Violations at me, but Peter(guy who answers my bug reports)said he passed my issues onto the core tech team, so I think it's being worked on.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#131 physcopanda

physcopanda

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

I've been trying to compile my game in EA and I get the following errors:

In Object obj_ctrl, in Event Create action number 0 at line 3 : unknown function or script surface_resize
In Object obj_ctrl, in Event Create action number 0 at line 4 : unknown function or script application_surface_draw_enable
In Object obj_ctrl, in Event Draw action number 77 at line 2 : unknown function or script application_get_position
Compile Failed - Please check the Compile window for any additional information

Doesn't seem to matter what I do the application functions dont seem to work. Odd because if I run the Application Surfaces Tutorial they work just fine! Have I missed something here?

#132 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

if you are compiling to HTML5 or any JS target those functions are bugged and won't work. Next update should fix it... :)

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#133 physcopanda

physcopanda

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

I've been trying to compile my game in EA and I get the following errors:

In Object obj_ctrl, in Event Create action number 0 at line 3 : unknown function or script surface_resize
In Object obj_ctrl, in Event Create action number 0 at line 4 : unknown function or script application_surface_draw_enable
In Object obj_ctrl, in Event Draw action number 77 at line 2 : unknown function or script application_get_position
Compile Failed - Please check the Compile window for any additional information

Doesn't seem to matter what I do the application functions dont seem to work. Odd because if I run the Application Surfaces Tutorial they work just fine! Have I missed something here?

Aha - I think I may have answered my own question - I have a steam version and a desktop version installed (studio) it looks like clicking NEW IDE in the steam version causes the new version to use the desktop versions compiler! I just confirmed it by analysing the compile path and its changed from:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\gamemaker_studio\GMAssetCompiler.exe" 

to

"C:\Users\Jamie Howard\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\GMAssetCompiler.exe" 

Hence the missing functions complaint!

#134 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

Oh, okay! Not sure that that should be happening though! Could you please file a bug with the helpdesk and let the guys know? http://help.yoyogame...us_requests/new

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#135 rage_77

rage_77

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:44 AM

men can you upload the source file of this exe GMS_prerelease_vectors.exe pleaaseeeee :D

I am trying to load a SWF but their edges become aliased, even with Quality setting to 100

I did some tests the other day and learned that you can use the display_reset function to take care of this, at least on windows. I haven't tested other devices but if they support display_reset they should work.

I made a quick windows .exe showing this off, in addition to some scaling of a vector image in case someone doesn't have a .swf handy to see this great addition. It can be downloaded here

Spoiler

I've also made a free little .swf for people who don't have any handy to test with:

You can download it here.

men can you upload the source file of this exe GMS_prerelease_vectors.exe pleaaseeeee :D

#136 storm3

storm3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Is there an issue with 1.3.1307 first beta version of 1.3 not updating for some reason?  Because I have been running it looking for an update for a while now and no update has been found any of the times..  Just wondering if I should be re-downloading the standalone installer and re-installing from this instead??  Thanks for the information..

Ciao' 4 now,

StOrM3

[ Of All The Things I've Lost...]

[ I Miss My Mind The Most !!! ]

(Ozzy Osbourne & Hackers 1)

#137 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:49 AM

Is there an issue with 1.3.1307 first beta version of 1.3 not updating for some reason?  Because I have been running it looking for an update for a while now and no update has been found any of the times..  Just wondering if I should be re-downloading the standalone installer and re-installing from this instead??  Thanks for the information..

Wrong thread dude. This is about GM:S EA.

GM:S 1.3.x is a release build.

#138 storm3

storm3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

I thought EA which I have also BTW, was finally moved into the main build instead of still being updated in a different build??

[ Of All The Things I've Lost...]

[ I Miss My Mind The Most !!! ]

(Ozzy Osbourne & Hackers 1)

#139 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

No, EA showcases and test new features which are then adopted over time into the main stable build. Therefor both the normal and EA versions get updated regularly...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#140 RuinaImperi

RuinaImperi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

In the latest build I've noticed that stuff doesn't seem to be triggered continuously anymore when a collision happens. 

In the collision event of my player with an object I have "alarm[0]=20", the intent being that it keeps that alarm at 20 as long as the player touches it. That doesn't happen though, the alarm runs out even though the player is colliding with the instance.

(Haven't tried it with non-physics collisions yet, but this wasn't the case before regardless)

Is this intended behavior? 

#141 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

In the latest build I've noticed that stuff doesn't seem to be triggered continuously anymore when a collision happens. 

In the collision event of my player with an object I have "alarm[0]=20", the intent being that it keeps that alarm at 20 as long as the player touches it. That doesn't happen though, the alarm runs out even though the player is colliding with the instance.

(Haven't tried it with non-physics collisions yet, but this wasn't the case before regardless)

Is this intended behavior?

If you find something doesn't work as it should anymore, the best thing to do is submit a bug report. That's the idea of EA.

Yoyogames does all sorts of stuff in EA from, new features, performance enhancements, etc... And there are times when something doesn't go to plan. It is often not until us users try it out, that we find out that something might have broken.

So yeah, bug report anything that is a bit 'iffy'. Dan will soon tell you if it is a bug or not :)

#142 RuinaImperi

RuinaImperi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

Alright, I just didn't want to open a bug report on something that might be intended and waste their time. Going to write one tomorrow then.

#143 Mania

Mania

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

Just a question regarding Early Access (EA) versions - are they at the very least always on par with the stable releases? Or is there a chance that they are behind a stable release? I haven't seen an EA update for months and beginning to wonder if there's been updates but just not for EA.

gb_greenlight.png

#144 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

Yes, they may be behind, as something goes to EA, opinions and bugs are gathered, things are fixed/changed and goes to beta, then to stable. But there are some new features that aren't yet in beta, so they will go to next EAP, and from what Russell said, this should be in several weeks (late October early November). But you're right, last EAP was released 74 days ago :)

Follow 
@GameMakerUpdate to get info about latest versions of GM when they are released: https://twitter.com/GameMakerUpdate or visit website.

#145 Mania

Mania

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

Yes, they may be behind, as something goes to EA, opinions and bugs are gathered, things are fixed/changed and goes to beta, then to stable. But there are some new features that aren't yet in beta, so they will go to next EAP, and from what Russell said, this should be in several weeks (late October early November). But you're right, last EAP was released 74 days ago :)

Where do you pick up the dates for each release? The release notes do not have this information.

gb_greenlight.png

#146 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 613 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

But they are in special RSS channel which GM:S IDE is checking against new versions, and I know URL for them :) You can see when last version of each was released on my website: http://gmapi.gnysek.pl/ :)

Follow 

#147 Mania

Mania

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

But they are in special RSS channel which GM:S IDE is checking against new versions, and I know URL for them :) You can see when last version of each was released on my website: http://gmapi.gnysek.pl/ :)

Well at least there's some place to find out, thanks! :) I was using EA because I thought it was the latest of the latest but looks like I should be using the Beta instead.

gb_greenlight.png

#148 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 613 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

You should run both versions from time to time to check for updates :)
Also, on normal GM:S don't forget to set Stable or Beta in updater, which can be found in notification area near clock on right bottom of screen. Updater starts always when you open GM:S.

That's best solutions, I've created that website and twitter account to show info about update so you can update ASAP if there is a bug that you were waiting to get fixed, but you're maybe away from PC.

Follow