147 replies to this topic

#1 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Announcing the new GameMaker: Studio early access program. With this program, you can get the very latest version of Studio, and have it run along side your current version.

You can get all the info in the new blog post here: http://www.yoyogames.com/tech_blog/38

#2 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Pretty cool idea here, the new debugger sounds amazing. :)

Either way, another program with more bugs to deal with, why is focus being put into this rather

than addressing more issues within GMS itself?

#3 superx140

superx140

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

Very cool! I think is a very nice way to do it. :D

Btw. are you still planning support for Spine for GMS 1.3? And can you mix vector graphics with spine animations?

#4 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

Either way, another program with more bugs to deal with, why is focus being put into this rather

Did you read the tech blog article here? http://www.yoyogames.com/tech_blog/38

The EA build has a LOT of bug fixes in it too... check those release notes?

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#5 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

In the new year we plan to take the bug fixes into stable version as well so you will get that goodness on there - we have just run out of time to do that pre-Christmas here.

So expect most of those bug fixes to be in stable fairly early in the new year.

Russell

#6 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

Did you read the tech blog article here? http://www.yoyogames.com/tech_blog/38

The EA build has a LOT of bug fixes in it too... check those release notes?

Of course I read it. Although it's not like there aren't more bugs or.... issues with the help file missing info?

The annoying access violation errors in the Sprite Editor that have been around since before GMS?

http://help.yoyogame.../requests/48771

http://help.yoyogame.../requests/50312

#7 RuinaImperi

RuinaImperi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

Is this spine and the 2d animation runtime still on the table for 1.3? Having not even a mention of it in this scares me a little...

#8 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

Yes they are still on the cards, they are just not in a state to be presented for use - this is not everything it is just everything that is ready for public viewing - The Debugger only just made it in at the last minute when we deemed it usable enough to start getting feedback, this is not finished features it is a current snapshot so we can get feedback from everyone.

Russell

#9 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Is this spine and the 2d animation runtime still on the table for 1.3? Having not even a mention of it in this scares me a little...

Spine and 2D animation runtime?

Yes they are still on the cards, they are just not in a state to be presented for use - this is not everything it is just everything that is ready for public viewing - The Debugger only just made it in at the last minute when we deemed it usable enough to start getting feedback, this is not finished features it is a current snapshot so we can get feedback from everyone.

Russell

Makes sense. Also as my previous post, don't get me wrong. I enjoy new updates and features, I just think new features are less... important

than bugs that have been around since the beginning of time and misleading and lack there of in info via the help file.

EDIT: Not sure if anyone besides me has looked into the help file for networking lately... but it's info is quite lacking.

Edited by FatalSleep, 18 December 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#10 Bando

Bando

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

any news about the new ide?

#11 Tarik

Tarik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2731 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

Tech blog 38 is pretty massive. Native extensions, inapp and push notifications are things that put native apps built with Studio in an amazing place. Absolutely huge.

The debugger looks pretty awesome too but for me personally it's a bit like revamping the sprite editor, after a decade of doing without, I've gotten very used to it haha. I like the sprite editor enough. (although psd import would be sweet.)

Hope to see HTML5 networking and more attention for HTML5 (mobile) audio happen at some point, although in all honesty, javascript extensions does allow anyone to build these things themselves.

#12 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

Would also like more info on this!

#13 superx140

superx140

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

Right now the debugger is not for the YYC as far as I understood. Will this come later on? Because I guess extensions are only available for the YYC, and so we won't be able to use the debugger together with extensions? Will this be possible at some point?

#14 Overloaded

Overloaded

Oneirophobia

• GMC Member
  • 995 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

Would also like more info on this!

Same here, it's the number one thing I can't wait for to finally come in GMS.

Edited by Overloaded, 18 December 2013 - 05:49 PM.

gmc_signature.png

Upcoming 2D Turn-Based RPG. You can visit our website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Check out my GM Marketplace Assets!

Follow me on Twitter: @OVLDD

#15 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

Right now the debugger is not for the YYC as far as I understood. Will this come later on? Because I guess extensions are only available for the YYC, and so we won't be able to use the debugger together with extensions? Will this be possible at some point?

Extensions are not limited to the YYC. They are currently limited to iOS and Android, yes, but not the YYC targets only...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#16 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

What I really really like about the new Draw events is the new Draw_Begin event.

Occasionally I like to put code in the Draw event, but the moment you put any code in a draw event, Game Maker stops drawing the object's sprite for you, and you need to manually draw the sprite yourself. This really dumps on performance.

Now I can put code in the Draw_Begin event without being concerned about drawing the image myself.

I'm going to have trouble remember that the Draw_begin is Draw Begin and not Begin Draw, like the Step events.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#17 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 2026 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

I think it is a good thing that they are creating this EA version.  They can build it off of the same code base, so it isn't like they have to maintain two different programs.  And we get the benefit of running things seperately.  We can try new features without ruining our projects(assuming you backup first, right!!!).  And the trick is that we can stay on a fully stable(ish) version at the same time.  This will lead to more people actually using the beta versions because many people don't risk it so they don't mess up projects.  Worse, the ones who really need the new functionality, the serious indie developers, are the ones who are least willing to update, and yet are the ones who not only use the software more thoroughly(at least in my opinion), and therefore should be the ones to be able to do more testing.  This EA version will allow that kind of thing to happen.  That will lead to more and faster bug reports, which will hopefully lead to more and faster bug fixes.

My KBInput system is now on the marketplace here.  It wraps up nice and tight GMStudio's input system into a few function calls making a user configurable input system that works the same regardless of what inputs the player has chosen including keyboard, mouse buttons, and gamepad/joysticks using DInput/XInput.  The support forum topic for it is here.

#18 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2399 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

This is awesome, guys. Great work. 

I know some people are still scared of Studio, but I am thoroughly enjoying everything you're doing. 

You're helping me make my game even more awesome than it is already! Been waiting on that debugger forever, too. :D

EDIT: Well, the debugger doesn't work for me. Can't connect in one project, this in the other. That's cutting edge for ya.

Edited by chrscool8, 18 December 2013 - 11:04 PM.

Click the banner to check out my game, Suh Burb!

XPTintI.gif

Add me on Steam! Let's talk about making games!

#19 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

Oh, man. I should get to bed, but now it looks like I have to go and download the Early Access.

I have yet to check out the implementation, but I'm incredibly happy to see push notifications and improved IAPs.

I'm also wondering about the vector sprites - this text: "it will for the most part allow the assets to come in unchanged, and be used just like any other GameMaker sprite" - suggests that you can create a sprite sheet on the fly from vector data based on the device resolution. This would be excellent because bitmaps are still more efficient to draw... Only SWF support at the moment apparently, and no fancy run-time conversions to bitmaps. Oh well.

Edit: Awesome - there's an http_request(url) command for full header access. You guys have been listening.

Edit 2: Judging from the manuals only, I'm going to be satisfied with the IAP and Push notification implementations. Great job, people.

Edited by Smarty, 18 December 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#20 lordvtp

lordvtp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

I was just wondering about the curious lack of beta updates of late....What a pleasant surprise to wakeup to!

Edited by lordvtp, 18 December 2013 - 10:16 PM.

lord5.png

#21 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 613 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

It's wierd, cause for my project it's not starting at all, but when I checked another PC, it's OK then (Except that there is index out of bounds exception at start). But since it's EAP and Debugger is still not finished, I don't think it's worth to report that, cause it will be probably fixed.

Previously game developer at YoYoGames, Currently PHP developer in DB-Team
Programming and working with: GML/C#/PHP/JS/MySql/CSS/HTML

Follow 
@GameMakerUpdate to get info about latest versions of GM when they are released: https://twitter.com/GameMakerUpdate or visit website.

(it's managed by bot, not by human, remember)

#22 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

I really like the early access thing... however, the debugger doesnt stop at my breakpoint ...can't use the debugger as it is right now :D

Anybody else running into similar problems?

iBNKRoX.png

#23 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Please send us example projects that are causing you problems, as that is the whole point of the Early Access version it will allow us to improve and finalise features before they are placed into stable

Just report them as bugs - and make sure you mention they are in the Early Access version - Help -> Report a bug

Russell

#24 alexandervrs

alexandervrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

I am trying to load a SWF but their edges become aliased, even with Quality setting to 100, I can't seem to be able to get anti-alias to work. Did not post a bug report because I assume maybe this is not implemented yet?

#25 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

you would need to have anti-aliasing enabled on the destination surface for that to work (we are looking at ways of making the edges softer but there are patents stopping us using the most obvious methods)

You could also render to a larger surface and scale it down with interpolation on and that has a similar effect at the expense of memory bandwidth and memory.

Russell

Edited by rwkay, 19 December 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#26 alexandervrs

alexandervrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

(we are looking at ways of making the edges softer but there are patents stopping us using the most obvious methods)

Aww really? There are patents for that? o_O

I thought SWF AA was going to be implemented out of the box (based on the quality setting or a GGS/GML setting), I mean what's the benefit of using SWF if it's going to have jaggy edges when scaled and NOT scaled?
Might as well export a PNG sequence from Flash.

#27 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

The quality setting governs how round the curves are (which depending on how big the image is displayed could be fairly rough for small images or need a lot of tessellation to look good if large).

The Anti-Aliasing is a rendering setting and the GPU will do this if the render target has it set up, or you could fake it by having a large 2x or 4x render target and then scale it down (as I said above) - any anti-aliasing that we could do would be a fudge using partially transparent triangles on the edges of the triangles we are rendering, this looks better (but still not as good as proper anti-aliasing), this is what ScaleForm does (and has the patent for).

SWF has advantages as it currently stands but if it is not working for you then don't use it - we present it as an option to do things that could not be done before, over time with everyones input we will make it better but we are not forcing you to use it.

We are looking to implement something approaching AA out of the box, but the main thing to remember is that this is not all finished yet and we will improve things as time goes on.

Russell

#28 alexandervrs

alexandervrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

Of course yeah, and we'll try to help you make it work nicely.

Regarding patents, have you thought of using SVG instead which is open source? You could try converting the SWF frames as SVG graphics using a SWF2XML converter. Having the frames as SVG, which is basically XML, might allow for better manipulation from within the IDE as well in the future.

#29 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

Does YoYo have any plans for targeted testing as opposed to the existing "report bugs as you go in everyday development" casual approach? Some features, such as Android and iOS extension support, are things that require skills not present in most GMS users. Without targeted testing from skilled users, the final v1.3 product may end up containing features that have received inadequate testing, if any at all.

I'm sure you've heard enough of my complaints about SVN on GMS, and it demonstrates exactly why the existing approach is a problem when it comes to verifying large-scale new features. When the SVN mechanism debuted in GM:HTML5, there was a severe lack of users with existing working knowledge of SVN, and with it a glut of user-end testing. The result? When real users started using it in GMS, they immediately ran into blockers and serious usability bugs that were not discovered or reported early, simply because the whole feature was not being actively tried out by anyone when first offered. Until recently, it was easily the most poorly done part of the entire GMS program.

For each new v1.3 feature, I suggest getting at least one or two dedicated/expert-level users who have experience in relevant subject areas as testers and KB article writers (e.g. graphic designers for vector graphics, native Android/iOS programmers for extensions, etc.). This allows user perspectives to enter the development process early in a balanced manner, and delegating bug-hunting and FAQ documentation to them allows a greater focus on fixing broken functionalities. Such experience will also allow these users to gain early experience using the new features, which would likely benefit their personal work and make them more valuable in team projects.

Personally, I am comfortable with targeting the debugger, new drawing events and recent fixes in the SVN integration, so sign me up if you are interested.

GameGeisha

Latest Releases:
  • GMLinear --- Matrix and vector math in one line!
  • GMAssert --- Debug invalid values and write quick unit tests with ease!
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!
  • JSOnion v1.1 --- The stink-free way to handle JSON! (even deeply nested ones)

#30 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

There really are more experienced developers using studio than "just you", and we do get bugs back from them as well, but the only way to get the real volume of responses that we require, is just sticking it out there. There are tens of thousands of Studio users, and they can all test much better than the handful of "targeted" developers. That said, we do give our special builds to individuals now and then when the case warrants.

#31 proon

proon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:43 AM

Every time i try to load a swf image the AssetCompiler appears and says: Could not convert string '0.5' to type Single for option '/swfprecision'

MHSbanner.png

#32 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:29 AM

Couple things here...

Spoiler

1) The quality box isn't (easily)readable with the GM8 skin.

2) The teeth in Robert3DG+'s swf have turned transparent.

Edited by grimdayz, 20 December 2013 - 07:42 AM.

#33 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

I tried to run Android and Android YYC, but both failed, I tried with an empty project and the same :/

I hope there is a quick fix, since I'm in the process of creating extensions, I guess I'll continue developing blind until I can test...

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

(Chinese axiom)

#34 Bando

Bando

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

Every time i try to load a swf image the AssetCompiler appears and says: Could not convert string '0.5' to type Single for option '/swfprecision'

same here

#35 JeffJ

JeffJ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 527 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

I made a quick windows .exe showing this off, in addition to some scaling of a vector image in case someone doesn't have a .swf handy to see this great addition. It can be downloaded here

That's a pretty neat demo you have there.

Just out of curiousity, what's the original dimensions for the character you used in it? Before scaling it up in the code, I mean.

spoileralertsignature.png     jefftwittersignature.png

#36 JeffJ

JeffJ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 527 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Thanks! The original .swf is 210x400 px. It scales up to 6x in the demo.

Damn, that's impressive! Really shows off the benefits of this compared to bitmaps. Thank you!

spoileralertsignature.png     jefftwittersignature.png

#37 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

YoYo team: is there any way to cancel locally scheduled notifications? For example, if your notification was aimed to let the user go back to the game after a certain time period, but the user has already done just that?

Edited by Smarty, 20 December 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#38 boxyman_16

boxyman_16

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

https://www.yoyogames.com/tech_blog/36

Does anybody know how this will effect screen effects? Previously we had to set the view to a surface in the End Step event then in the Draw event you can use surface_copy to do screen effects, but the article seems to say you can now directly access the buffer instead of creating a surface? I'm not sure.

#39 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

YoYo team: is there any way to cancel locally scheduled notifications? For example, if your notification was aimed to let the user go back to the game after a certain time period, but the user has already done just that?

Good question! I don't think there is... seems like something we should be able to do though, so file a suggestion!

https://www.yoyogames.com/tech_blog/36

Does anybody know how this will effect screen effects? Previously we had to set the view to a surface in the End Step event then in the Draw event you can use surface_copy to do screen effects, but the article seems to say you can now directly access the buffer instead of creating a surface? I'm not sure.

Flexibility is the name of the game here... You CAN use the post draw events for full screen rendering and for surface manipulation, but you can also do it the other way (actually, many other ways!). Using standard draw event you can target specific views and control the draw size and other things, while this new event permits you to target the full screen easily, but at the base resolution of the back buffer. Both can be used, and both are valid, but which you use will depend on your needs and how you like to use them. Basically GMS is giving you multiple options so that you can choose the "best fit" for your game and programming style.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#40 boxyman_16

boxyman_16

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for replying Nocturne though I'm still a little confused. Say I was doing a simple screen blur effect where I just overlay a copy of the screen with reduced transparency, do I still need to assign the view to a surface then use surface_copy to grab a screenshot? Or is there now some way of redrawing the buffer or something?

#41 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

At the moment - yes, you still need to create your own surface. This may change in the future, but not just now.

#42 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

I await the glorious Ubuntu Export sale...

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#43 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

Important question before I install this..

Is this just a "update" to our current Studio or does this install a separate IDE of Studio?

#44 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

The Early Access program asks for my license key. Does this mean it's going to show up as one of the three devices I'm allowed to use GM:S on, even if it's on the same computer as my regular GM:S installation?
iPqfGiP.png

#45 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

The limit is 3 machines, not 3 installs. you can install as many times as you like on the same machine.

#46 Darkstar2

Darkstar2

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:53 AM

The limit is 3 machines, not 3 installs. you can install as many times as you like on the same machine.

What about people who upgrade their computers on a regular basis.  I reckon I have upgraded

my computer at least 2 times since I started using studio, + I used it on my secondary PC, so might have used up the

3 machines.  so when I upgrade my main PC next time my key will be blacklisted ?  I would certainly not be happy if that happened....  I have always beena legit, paid user of GM, I would like to continue to be...

#47 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

What about people who upgrade their computers on a regular basis.  I reckon I have upgraded

my computer at least 2 times since I started using studio, + I used it on my secondary PC, so might have used up the

3 machines.  so when I upgrade my main PC next time my key will be blacklisted ?  I would certainly not be happy if that happened....  I have always beena legit, paid user of GM, I would like to continue to be...

You're not going to get blacklisted. People have been doing that since the Game Maker 8.1.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#48 Kimidori

Kimidori

Opened Ultimate Gate

• GMC Member
  • 552 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:20 AM

it 3 machines at once limit, not a 3 machines ever limit.

No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement.

#49 xlordt_97248

xlordt_97248

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

meh! I just want my Linux build QQ!!

#50 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

So, I have been using the early access build for a while, and have started to build a simple project in it.

Assuming my Studio license applies to it(as the build is pro version) can I release/sell/whatever the program I make? I remember when GM: HTML5 came out there was issues about this, just wondering if this is the same.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE