Photo

[4] Wish Upon a Star (Turn ? - Forum Upgrade!)

• Please log in to reply
901 replies to this topic

#1 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:06 AM

Wish Upon a Star

(New players note: If you want to join but don't want to read through this long post, go here for a quick summary of the rules.)

Welcome to the forum game about stealing money and making wishes. Want to know how? Keep reading. New players are accepted anytime, so feel free to join in.

What is this?
The game takes place on a board that starts out extremely simple:
Spoiler

The yellow square marks the start square where you'll begin your journey, should you choose to join this game. You can move up to five spaces per turn (but you are free to move less than five). Your goal is to collect those gold coins on the corners of the board. The player who has the most gold coins at a given moment is winning. To collect a gold coin, simply pass over the space containing it. Now you may be asking yourself at this point how I intend for you to collect coins that are not connected to the game board in any way. Well, that brings us to...

The Altar
See that red space on the map with an "A" on it? That's the altar, and that's the center of this game's mechanics. When you land on the altar, you are allowed to make one wish. The wish can affect the game board in any way. You can add new spaces to get places; you can destroy existing spaces to block other players; you could even invent random new types of spaces that do creative things to people who land on them. The "Wishes" section below has more details on what you can and can't wish for. Any wish you make will be granted. There is no probability system (like WB2) or voting system (like Nomic); there is a 100% chance you will get what you asked for. Once your wish has been granted, you will be sent back to the start square, and your turn ends.

The Player
That's you. Each player has certain attributes in common. In particular, each player starts with 10 HP, 2 ATK, 0 DEF, 5 MOV, and 5 inventory slots. What do each of these numbers mean?
HP - Hit points. They keep you alive. If you have 0 HP, you die. When you die, you are sent back to the start square and lose any gold coins and inventory items you had.
ATK/DEF - When you land on the same space as another player, the two of you will automatically attack each other. You will deal damage to the other player equal to your ATK minus his/her DEF and vice versa.
MOV - This is how many spaces you can move in a given turn.
Inventory - This is how many items you can hold. Note that gold coins are NOT items and do not count against your inventory space.
(Player wishes can create other stats and attributes that may alter some game mechanics. These are merely the stats available from the start of the game)

Wishes
When you reach the altar, you can wish for anything that would affect the game board in some way. You cannot change the game's rules, but you can change the board in any way. Example wishes:
Spoiler
The following rules must be observed. Any wish which violates these rules will fail.
-Wishes can only affect the game board. Player stats, inventories, game mechanics, etc. cannot be directly affected by wishes.
-Gold coins can be neither created nor destroyed. Existing gold coins on the board cannot be moved, and spaces containing gold coins cannot be altered.
-The altar and start square cannot be destroyed, nor can new ones be created. The existing altar and start square can be moved freely, however.
-There must always be a path by which a new player carrying no items could feasibly travel from the start square to the altar.
-Spaces, items, and board effects cannot discriminate by player name or user identity. (i.e. you cannot make a space that "only roytheshort can pass", etc.)
-The start square can never contain items, traps, gold coins, or other effects.
In general, you will be notified if your wish violates a rule and given a chance to change it.

Items
Items are the things that are stored in your inventory. The starting board has two shops, which will give you items if you land on them. New items can be spawned by wishing them into existence at given positions on the board. You cannot wish items into people's inventories, but you are free to wish them onto the board and then pick them up later. Items are free to affect player stats, inventory sizes, and other aspects that wishes cannot directly affect. To pick up an item, simply pass over or land on the space containing it and specify that you would like to pick it up. You are not required to pick up an item you land on. The following rules (some of which are identical to the wishing rules) must be observed in all items.
-Gold coins can be neither created nor destroyed. Existing gold coins on the board cannot be moved, and spaces containing gold coins cannot be altered.
-The altar and start square cannot be destroyed, nor can new ones be created. The existing altar and start square can be moved freely, however.
-There must always be a path by which a new player carrying no items could feasibly travel from the start square to the altar.
items cannot discriminate by player name or user identity. (i.e. you cannot spawn an item that "only players with pudding avatars can use", etc.)
-The start square can never contain items, traps, gold coins, or other effects.
Aside from these rules, any item can be brought into existence by a simple wish.

Congratulations! You've endured all of the rules that are necessary to play this game. Below, you'll find reference material for what various spaces and items do. There's no reason to read it all, but it will be added to whenever someone makes a wish that adds a new space or item type.

Previous Games Archive: http://pastebin.com/RvJWrrS4

Spaces
Spoiler

Items
Spoiler

Status Effects
Spoiler

Events
Spoiler

Tokens
Spoiler

Edited by Mercerenies, 17 January 2016 - 01:14 AM.

iPqfGiP.png

#2 Shadow Array

Shadow Array

Roleblocker

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Count me in, assuming you aren't starting right away. I am still fixing stuff on my computer so if it hasn't started yet, I will join on Tuesday or Wednesday

"Oh, big, big mistake, really huge. Didn't anyone ever tell you there's one thing you never put in a trap, if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap....Me."

#3 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

I am all over this idea, like water on a drowning fish.  So I'm in.

#4 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

Now that two players have joined, the first update will take place tomorrow. Those of you who have already joined can submit the sprite to be used as your character token and make your first move now. We'll be using the board mentioned in the OP to start with (you all begin on the yellow start square, of course).
Spoiler
New players are welcome to join and can take their first turn as soon as they do so.
iPqfGiP.png

#5 richardlord

richardlord

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

I am here.

#6 Shadow Array

Shadow Array

Roleblocker

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

Here's my sprite, slightly confused though. Do we simply post our actions and you update the board? Or do we update the board ourselves?

JuBKqhE.png

"Oh, big, big mistake, really huge. Didn't anyone ever tell you there's one thing you never put in a trap, if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap....Me."

#7 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:09 AM

Here's my sprite, slightly confused though. Do we simply post our actions and you update the board? Or do we update the board ourselves?

JuBKqhE.png

I'll handle the updates. You just tell me what you want to do.
iPqfGiP.png

#8 Shadow Array

Shadow Array

Roleblocker

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:31 AM

Move Forward 5 Spaces

((Are the coins placed down after the game starts or...sorry slightly confused about how we get coins unless I misread the rules))

#9 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

((Are the coins placed down after the game starts or...sorry slightly confused about how we get coins unless I misread the rules))

((Yeah, I was worried the rules might be a bit confusing. The coins are already on the board in the four corners but not connected in any way; you have to build a path to them using the altar to change the game board and get there.))

Edited by Mercerenies, 17 December 2013 - 12:46 AM.

iPqfGiP.png

#10 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

I'm in.

A person that has absolute powers when near an alter might as well be a priest, right?
sArmU3W.png

#11 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:08 AM

I'm in.

A person that has absolute powers when near an alter might as well be a priest, right?
sArmU3W.png

Awesome. Welcome to the game :D

Remember, you can all go ahead and announce your first move now. The starting board is available in the OP and in my previous post on this page.
iPqfGiP.png

#12 richardlord

richardlord

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:48 AM

Srry, my picture site is down... wait till it is back up for my piece.

#13 AlienEaters

AlienEaters

Met Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:04 AM

Image.png I'll join.

Elodin - "Where does the moon go when it leaves the sky?"

#14 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:55 AM

Image.png I'll join.

Sure that's in your public Dropbox folder? I can't see the image.

Either way, you're in. Just check on the image file.
iPqfGiP.png

#15 AlienEaters

AlienEaters

Met Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:34 AM

Should work if you open it in a new tab. 

EDIT: oh and move forward then to the left five spaces(towards the shop)

Edited by AlienEaters, 17 December 2013 - 05:36 AM.

Elodin - "Where does the moon go when it leaves the sky?"

#16 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:47 AM

Should work if you open it in a new tab.

That worked. Thanks. Odd that it doesn't work directly though...
iPqfGiP.png

#17 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

all right:
Move forward 4 spaces

#18 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

Turn 1

21dg2yr.jpg

Players

Shadow Array (HP 10/10; ATK 2; DEF 0; MOV 5; 0 gold coins)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

smash ball (HP 10/10; ATK 2; DEF 0; MOV 5; 0 gold coins)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

richardlord (HP 10/10; ATK 2; DEF 0; MOV 5; 0 gold coins)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

mr magnus (HP 10/10; ATK 2; DEF 0; MOV 5; 0 gold coins)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

AlienEaters (HP 10/10; ATK 2; DEF 0; MOV 5; 0 gold coins)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

Events
(None)

Announcements
- Those of you who have not submitted a sprite have been given a default one. It should be fairly easy to tell who is who; if you still want to change your image, just send in your own at any point.
- Forum Game Shop integration will be coming later today, as soon as I come up with some items to sell.
- For those of you who will be reaching the altar on this next turn, remember that you are allowed to go ahead and make your wish on the same turn.

Edited by Mercerenies, 17 December 2013 - 07:15 PM.

iPqfGiP.png

#19 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

291c3gj.png

Merc, I'm literally uploading my picture now.  You hold your update horses.

Up 2, Right 3

#20 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

Wow. Wonderful timing xD
I'll go ahead and pretend you did that one post earlier. Wait for the edit...

EDIT: It is done. :P

Edited by Mercerenies, 17 December 2013 - 07:15 PM.

iPqfGiP.png

#21 Shadow Array

Shadow Array

Roleblocker

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

Move onto Altar

((If I am allowed to make my wish this turn:))

I wish that the square in the middle of the board (3 squares above the start spot) is a broken teleporter. When you land on it, it will randomly teleport you to any spot on the board that is accessible.

((This is where I should state that I am not playing to win, not playing to troll, and am simply just coming up with fun tile ideas.))

#22 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

((This is where I should state that I am not playing to win, not playing to troll, and am simply just coming up with fun tile ideas.))

((I was actually really hoping I'd get a player who wanted to do this xD))
iPqfGiP.png

#23 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Go to the altar. I'll be with a bit more predictable wish.

"Oh, great Merc in the sky; I wish that a path, stretching from beneath the start square and out towards the two bottom gold coins, upward towards the other two gold coins would appear, forming a great big 'U' !"

Edited by mr magnus, 17 December 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#24 richardlord

richardlord

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

I will move... Up 2, left 3

#25 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

Right 3 Up 2

#26 rougebare

rougebare

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

How did I not notice this sooner?

(Unfortunately my art skills are nearly non-existent, even on a small 16x16 scale)

First move 4 up and one to the right

#27 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

Turn 2

sghnjs.jpg

Players

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

richardlord (HP 8/10; ATK 2; DEF 0; MOV 5; 0 gold coins)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

AlienEaters (HP 8/10; ATK 2; DEF 0; MOV 5; 0 gold coins)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

rougebare (HP 10/10; ATK 2; DEF 0; MOV 5; 0 gold coins)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

Events
- The square in the middle of the board has become a Broken Teleporter.
- A path has opened below the start square.
- AlienEaters and richardlord have fought. They both lost 2 HP.

Announcements
- New square: Broken Teleporter. If you're interested in the exact effect, it'll be in the OP momentarily, but it does basically what Shadow Array says it does.
- For those who haven't already seen it, go ahead and check out the Forum Game Shop entry for this game. Several of you are already eligible for a few points, so just tally it up and make a post in that topic to redeem them.
- rougebare, you've been added. You're the pink "RB" gamepiece. Have fun :thumbsup:
iPqfGiP.png

#28 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

Go down, and 4 spaces to the right.

#29 Shadow Array

Shadow Array

Roleblocker

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

Move Up 3

Edited by Shadow Array, 18 December 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#30 richardlord

richardlord

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

Left 3 up 2

#31 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

((Not sure if this is a legal move, correct me if it isnt))

Move down 1

Move up 1

((Assuming this is allowed))

I wish that the space to the right of the Gold Coin in the bottom left corner has a "Tar Slick" on it. When a player moves over it, they are stopped on that spot until their next turn.

((Not sure if this is a legal move, correct me if it isnt))

Move down 1

Move up 1

((Assuming this is allowed))

I wish that the space to the right of the Gold Coin in the bottom left corner has a "Tar Slick" on it. When a player moves over it, they are stopped on that spot until their next turn.

That won't work, you move to the start square when you make a wish, remember?

#32 Shadow Array

Shadow Array

Roleblocker

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

((Oh crap right I forgot, my bad. Editing move now))

#33 rougebare

rougebare

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

one to the left and forward onto the alter.

"Wish i may, wish i might, have the wish of an steel plate item to be placed randomly on an accessible spot on the board."

The steel plate should increase def by 4, but reduce mov by 1. (heavy armor kinda comes at a price)

Edited by rougebare, 18 December 2013 - 11:52 PM.

#34 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

Left 5

#35 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

Turn 3

11i0ghd.jpg

Items
- Steel Plate

Players

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

Events
- Shadow Array has been warped.
- A Steel Plate has appeared on the board.

Announcements
- I went back and forth on how to draw items on the board. I figured it would get too confusing if each item had its own image, so I decided to go with this approach. That green question mark near the left shop is an item. Below the map image, there is an items section that will tell you which item is which.
- Just to clarify, the current dimensions of the board are by no means a limitation. If you make a wish that involves expanding the board or placing squares somewhere off the board, it will be expanded as needed, and you may discover some cool stuff already out there.
iPqfGiP.png

#36 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

Well, this is a no brainer:

Move to the gold coin on my right!

#37 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

You'll still have one MOV left after picking up the coin. You can go an extra space if you want.
iPqfGiP.png

#38 itsTheDev

itsTheDev

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hey, is it allowed that I can play into the game?

It's... THE DEV!

#39 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

Hey, is it allowed that I can play into the game?

Sure. Just read through the OP so you know the rules, then make a 16x16 image for your character, and you can go ahead and make your first move now.
iPqfGiP.png

#40 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

You'll still have one MOV left after picking up the coin. You can go an extra space if you want.

hmm, ok get the coin and one space upward

#41 rougebare

rougebare

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

Move down one, then left 4.

#42 richardlord

richardlord

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

up one then down 4

#43 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

Move to the altar.  I wish that a spring space gets placed in the middle walkway below Shadow Array (from the Teleporter, down 1, right 3)

The spring space moves you across a gap (place with no actual spaces) in the direction of your choosing.  This particular spring space can spring you up or down, because there are no gaps to the left or right of it.  Using the spring space costs one move in your moveset.

#44 Shadow Array

Shadow Array

Roleblocker

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:18 AM

Move left 3 and down 1

#45 itsTheDev

itsTheDev

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:37 AM

Up (2)

Right (3)

It's... THE DEV!

#46 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

Turn 4

2uszzsy.jpg

Items
- Steel Plate

Players

Shadow Array (HP 10/10; ATK 2; DEF 0; MOV 5; 1 gold coin)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

mr magnus (HP 10/10; ATK 2; DEF 0; MOV 5; 1 gold coin)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)
- (None)

Events
- A spring space has been created to the right of the teleporter.

Announcements
- richardlord, your action would've driven you off the board. You've been moved as far as possible in the direction you requested.
- Welcome to the game, itsTheDev. You're the blue "iTD" token. You can change the image if you want. Enjoy :thumbsup:
iPqfGiP.png

#47 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

five spaces upward:
IN THE NAME OF GREED!

#48 Shadow Array

Shadow Array

Roleblocker

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

FORWARD 5 SPACES!

#49 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Up 3 to see where the teleporter goes!

#50 richardlord

richardlord

GMC Member

• GMC Member