#1 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

Off The Rails!

Download: http://sandbox.yoyog...3-off-the-rails (6.2MB)

An arcade game testing how long you can out run the burning pits, made in 72 hours for the 12th GMC Jam!

Online highscores can be viewed in game.

l68q.png

gxl7.png

#2 VestaphigsMc

VestaphigsMc

GMC Member

• 16 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:01 AM

I just beat your distance :3

#3 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:04 AM

I just beat your distance :3

Congratulations! I wiped the online highscores for the games release, as I had filled the entire top 100 places up (in fact, I had submitted 177 highscores during dev testing!) I wonder how long you'll have top spot :whistling:

#4 VestaphigsMc

VestaphigsMc

GMC Member

• 16 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

This game is really fun. Great work! I would up vote it if I could,but I can't yet :/

#5 Paradis

Paradis

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

+Quite fun game. You get easily hooked.

+Nice colors. The screen is still moving(in your head) after you shut down hehe 

-Is the speed arrow really a bonus? It first seems like a bonus.

#6 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for your comment! I'm glad you enjoyed playing.

The speed arrows are a bit of a red herring as you say: they seem helpful but can also make life more difficult. Some obstacles are easier to avoid with more speed, and conversely others are harder. It really comes down to taking a bit of a gamble, but can be beneficial especially if you assess what is coming up in front.

#7 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

nice little game. probably needs more gimmicks. i think the boosts should actually move you ahead, away from the flames, instead a speed increase. this has almost inspired me, i might make a knockoff.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#8 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

nice little game. probably needs more gimmicks. i think the boosts should actually move you ahead, away from the flames, instead a speed increase. this has almost inspired me, i might make a knockoff.

Thanks! I could have kept adding stuff had I had more time than the 72 hour limit of the Jam, but had to stop somewhere ;)

The speed increase I designed to give the player a little more to think about whether it was worth taking the risk. When you come across actual railway track you are moved away from the flames, but these only appear when you are getting close to the flames.

Thanks for playing :)

Edit: Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Edited by TerraFriedSheep, 29 October 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#9 Paradis

Paradis

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for your comment! I'm glad you enjoyed playing.

The speed arrows are a bit of a red herring as you say: they seem helpful but can also make life more difficult. Some obstacles are easier to avoid with more speed, and conversely others are harder. It really comes down to taking a bit of a gamble, but can be beneficial especially if you assess what is coming up in front.

Oh, sorry. To make it clear. The speed arrows doesn't get you any further away from the fire. So the only thing it really does, is making it harder for you to control your train and keep safe distance from the fire. It would be more fun to increase the speed +1 so that you actually have a chance to win something for some good work. Just my opinion. Really good work for 72h for sure!!

Edited by Paradis, 29 October 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#10 Roflstompz

Roflstompz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Yeah i pretty much learned to avoid the speed boosts. I really love this game! Expect to get high votes from me :P 
I will get top score.. eventually

SPrz7If.png

#11 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

Nice little arcade game here! The gameplay mechanic is easy to grasp, and it's fun. And the off/Online scores provide some good incentive and replay value.

The graphics are simple but very effective and pleasing to the eye -- so nice job on that. And the controls are well presented and explained. The entire package seems very professional and complete. Excellent Jam entry. :thumbsup: +1

You've made good use of the handicap too, although it seems you treated that as the theme. And I didn't see any evolution anywhere -- but I've only played a short while, so maybe that comes later. Either way, this is very good and would made a good HTML5 / mobile game, if you so inclined.

Edited by chance, 01 November 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#12 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

Yeah i pretty much learned to avoid the speed boosts. I really love this game! Expect to get high votes from me :P 
I will get top score.. eventually

Awesome thanks! Make sure to jump on the railway tracks though ;)

Nice little arcade game here! The gameplay mechanic is easy to grasp, and it's fun. And the off/Online scores provide some good incentive and replay value.

The graphics are simple but very effective and pleasing to the eye -- so nice job on that. And the controls are well presented and explained. The entire package seems very professional and complete. Excellent Jam entry. :thumbsup: +1

You've made good use of the handicap too, although it seems you treated that as the theme. And I didn't see any evolution anywhere -- but I've only played a short while, so maybe that comes later. Either way, this is very good and would made a good HTML5 / mobile game, if you so inclined.

Thanks for the feedback! The evolution is a bit tenuous but the gameplay does [i]evolve[/b] over time, getting progressively trickier. It's not the most obvious interpretation of "evolution", but I'm running with it :P

I did consider the possibility that this would be good for a mobile port- it's got the right sort of screen size and can be easily tweaked, so if I ever get around to it I would certainly be happy to do so!

#13 AhmedElyamani

AhmedElyamani

Yamani

• GMC Member
  • 1902 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

Finally , I'm on top of the highscore list now with my 2700 :P  , Anyone wants to beat that?