2107 replies to this topic

#2101 Catox

Catox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

I'd say that was the flaw with this theme : extremely large space for interpretation. I thought it was a very nice theme, for a time, then it stroke me that most (if not every) games rely on some form of evolution at their core : evolution of abilities, evolution of environment, evolution of difficulty, evolution of story... 

Those are the best themes. If the theme was "Save the princess from the vampire castle". we wouldn't end up with a very entertaining or diverse Jam, now would we?

Well... "shades of gray"

And even your example isn't as much a perfect black one as "make a Zelda 1 clone" would be : "save the princess from the vampire castle" only imposes the main plot of the game, you can still choose if you want to make an adventure, rpg, platform, shooter or whatever type of game with any kind of mechanics in it, but yes, it is fairly restrictive indeed.

In opposition, a perfect white theme would be "make a game".

And my point is "evolution", because of its wide interpretation range, is very, very close to this "make a game" extreme.

Now if you can find a game (a good/interesting one) that doesn't have progression (which is a very honest synonym to evolution I believe) in its core mechanics, please name it. I'm sure that could be interesting.

I don't believe a game consisting of doing the same thing over and over again without any change of any kind (environment, difficulty, gameplay) would be an interesting game that could pretend to get to the first place of any themed jam : so obviously, the winner of an "evolution" game jam will be in theme, whether the author actually focused on the theme or not.

GMC JAM 13 is happening NAOW !

It's review and vote time !

Play free games, give input to game makers, determine your own values in game making, GO NOW, time is counted !

#2102 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• GMC Elder
  • 3345 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

And on the last leg before the next Jam, I finally finished putting together the community prize I offered:
http://youtu.be/OC-6SSWCThI
I encourage any of you to check it out, but in particular I encourage Yal, N-Cubo, TheSnidr, programmer5, and GameDevDan to take a look. Also darkwalker247, but that's for a slightly different reason.

Some awesome playthroughs right there!

#2103 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

I'd say that was the flaw with this theme : extremely large space for interpretation. I thought it was a very nice theme, for a time, then it stroke me that most (if not every) games rely on some form of evolution at their core : evolution of abilities, evolution of environment, evolution of difficulty, evolution of story... 

Those are the best themes. If the theme was "Save the princess from the vampire castle". we wouldn't end up with a very entertaining or diverse Jam, now would we?

Well... "shades of gray"

And even your example isn't as much a perfect black one as "make a Zelda 1 clone" would be : "save the princess from the vampire castle" only imposes the main plot of the game, you can still choose if you want to make an adventure, rpg, platform, shooter or whatever type of game with any kind of mechanics in it, but yes, it is fairly restrictive indeed.

In opposition, a perfect white theme would be "make a game".

And my point is "evolution", because of its wide interpretation range, is very, very close to this "make a game" extreme.

Now if you can find a game (a good/interesting one) that doesn't have progression (which is a very honest synonym to evolution I believe) in its core mechanics, please name it. I'm sure that could be interesting.

I don't believe a game consisting of doing the same thing over and over again without any change of any kind (environment, difficulty, gameplay) would be an interesting game that could pretend to get to the first place of any themed jam : so obviously, the winner of an "evolution" game jam will be in theme, whether the author actually focused on the theme or not.

pacman, tetris, asteroids.
I'm fairly certain they don't progress that much. :whistle:

#2104 Darzoz

Darzoz

Only Unknown.

• GMC Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

pacman, tetris, asteroids.
I'm fairly certain they don't progress that much. :whistle:

Pac-Man evolves through level design, Tetris evolves through speed and timing, Asteroids evolves through levels of increasing chaos.

Any game with progression of difficulty can be spun as a game based on evolution.

Edited by Darzoz, 10 January 2014 - 12:35 PM.

"Forged by an ancient Otaku Master over the heat of a roaring manga fire."

IiNpdcj.png

#2105 Catox

Catox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

One title just came to me a few minutes ago : Wario Ware, but I don't know it enough to say with certainty that there is no evolution in it, in terms of difficulty for instance. There are multiple games, but so quick that no progression is apparent in each of them, and the change that happens when you switch from one to the next couldn't be reffered as an 'evolution' it's just going to something else. One could argue that the progression comes from the ability of the player to learn each game and improve his performance over time... Let's just say that this one is arguable and that Wario Ware can be considered as not being based on evolution.

That would apparently just be one of the very rare "exceptions that confirm the rule".

GMC JAM 13 is happening NAOW !

It's review and vote time !

Play free games, give input to game makers, determine your own values in game making, GO NOW, time is counted !

#2106 kepons

kepons

The Pear

• GMC Member
  • 999 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Pretty early. I want the announcement topic right now :P There's not much time for guessing fun!

This forum has been archived. The content above may differ from my current opinion.

Twitter | GameJolt | Ask.fm
prize_award_4_zpsvm0hohkp.png

#2107 N-cubo

N-cubo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

I encourage any of you to check it out, but in particular I encourage Yal, N-Cubo, TheSnidr, programmer5, and GameDevDan to take a look. Also darkwalker247, but that's for a slightly different reason.

So you want a speed run of 7R41N?

69466_340.jpg

Nice video and congratulations, you are the one (except me) who went more far in the game. :D

EDIT: Oh God what am I doing.

Edited by N-cubo, 11 January 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#2108 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

I can feel it in my bones. A Jam is nigh. My body is ready.

Hope my time-organising skills are too. I can do it this time. It's a new year. My resolution is to actually produce a game for the Jam this time around. For once. Last time I tried but the theme gave me some trouble. I ended up trying something overly ambitious. I have learnt from my previous mistakes. I have become stronger through my failures. I shall succeed where my past selves have failed! Ok, getting a bit carried away here...

Just over a fortnight to go until the 13th Jam - looking forward to it! 13 may well end up being my lucky number! :D

Edited by Cakefish, 11 January 2014 - 01:37 PM.

2a7ubuv.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chat, gmcjam