• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Notepad Wars v0.5.4

Downloads:
Google Play

Description
Defend your castle from stick figures, pirates, and lots of other craziness! Slice them, throw fireballs at them and build towers to keep them away.

Current features
- 2 themed worlds with 12 levels each
- Lots of different enemies
- 2 bosses
- 3 allies 
- 1 mini-game with highscore

Screenshots
319f9df7c5.png
Spoiler

Suggestions? Bugs? Give me a shout!

Thanks a lot!

Edited by PWL, 08 July 2015 - 10:34 PM.

#2 srcdlrichardson

srcdlrichardson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

This is an interesting game.  I like the graphics.  5 Stars on Google Play.

When you get a chance, I would love for you to check out my Truckin' app:

and my OMNI app:

Thanks.  Again, good job.

Edited by srcdlrichardson, 10 October 2013 - 04:07 AM.

Here's a link to my published apps on Google Play.  All apps were developed with GM Studio.

http://play.google.c...eveloper?id=SCR

#3 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

UPDATE!

New in v0.3.1:
- New allies: The archer and the gunner
- New enemies: Ram and archer
- The shop got a makeover
- Game now shows mp-usage, damage taken, and coins awarded
- Made mage controls more user friendly
- Tank shooting-fix
- Coin fixes
- Saves coins, allies

Get it on Google Play and leave a reply if you liked (or didn't like) it!

#4 OneManP

OneManP

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

:o Graphic just stunning, the easy shapes and look so good.Not tested game system but good luck with your game ;)

#5 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

New update!

Couple of days ago actually..

Changelog from last time:

v0.3.22 (Current version)
- 5 new levels with new enemies!
- Reset your progress to play again
- Shows damage done on the castle
- Sounds!
- Tower and stone have been removed (for now)

v0.3.10 (Never updated topic for this one, so this is kinda "new" as well)
- Target Challenge added
- Highscore for Target Challenge!
- Fix for rolling guys (one-hit)
- Fix for shooting dead people
- Added guide for archer
- Fix for ally-guide

As always, thanks a lot for testing, comments are appreciated. 

#6 ozvooky

ozvooky

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

The graphics look really nice! They add a comic feeling to the game. Sadly I cannot download the game

#7 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

The graphics look really nice! They add a comic feeling to the game. Sadly I cannot download the game

Thanks a lot! It's sad that people don't have the ability to try it out because they don't have an Android phone :( 

#8 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

New update live now!

Changelog for v0.4.2:

- New menu with world- and level-selecting!
- Multi-touch!
- Coins are now rewarded for the castle's remaining health
- New improved tutorial
- Changes in amount of enemies on levels
- Allies are now unlockables with upgrades in shop
- Changed allies
- Minor shop-fixes
- Save/load improvements
- Target Challenge shows your own rank when score is submitted

#9 _226097

_226097

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

It's a nice touch with the Notepad setup. It's a bit hard to control the Mage and Archer but i guess that it is what makes the challenge. I have a few thing I'd like to see changed, take what you want from it ;)

• 1 coin per health left system is unreasonable. If the player is stuck and needs upgrade to proceed, the most efficient way is to grind level 1 over and over again. He should decide where to grind based on how he assess his skills. Rewards needs to increase each level.
  • I miss overview of my progression each time I complete a level. Instead of just next, next, next, I'd like to return to the screen where I can see how much I've unlocked. It motivates to keep going.
  • Mages & Helicopter. Archers & Tanks. Theme doesn't match up and the disconnection doesn't give anything. I'd prefer dragon over helicopters and knights over tanks to defend my castle.
  • FIrst few levels are too slow. Tutorial is very nice but level 1 and 2 in particular just bores me. Unless your targeted group is 4 years old I'd like to start at a higher difficulty.
  • I have no idea what the upgrades in the shop does. It might be related to the game still is in beta, still noticable.

Be careful not to make the game too hard. This is just my personal opinion, that these types of game I just want to progress through relatively fast without having to grind for too long to defeat the game. It's interesting to experience new unlocks, defeat new type of monsters and summon cool effects, but I don't want to play a level more than 2-3 times.

#10 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Reply to ALL THE POINTS!

• FIrst few levels are too slow. Tutorial is very nice but level 1 and 2 in particular just bores me. Unless your targeted group is 4 years old I'd like to start at a higher difficulty.
Be careful not to make the game too hard. This is just my personal opinion, that these types of game I just want to progress through relatively fast without having to grind for too long to defeat the game.

This feels like the hardest part, yes. I feel like this is going to be a thing that I'll constantly have to adjust.

• 1 coin per health left system is unreasonable. If the player is stuck and needs upgrade to proceed, the most efficient way is to grind level 1 over and over again. He should decide where to grind based on how he assess his skills. Rewards needs to increase each level.
Not sure what you mean by this. If you misunderstood:
You can't grind more than 100 coins each level. If you have a score of 80 on level 1, then play it again reaching 95 health left - You'll get the difference in coins (15), not your new score as a whole (95).
However, increasing the coin-reward for each level seems like a good idea, although I'm not sure how that would affect the shop-prices.

• I miss overview of my progression each time I complete a level. Instead of just next, next, next, I'd like to return to the screen where I can see how much I've unlocked. It motivates to keep going.

There's a menu-button that takes you back to the level-select, and I wanted to have a Next-button to have quick access to the next level.

• Mages & Helicopter. Archers & Tanks. Theme doesn't match up and the disconnection doesn't give anything. I'd prefer dragon over helicopters and knights over tanks to defend my castle.

What can I say.. This might be a must-do for the release-version.

• I have no idea what the upgrades in the shop does. It might be related to the game still is in beta, still noticable.

Next on the list for sure! The shop really needs a re-do. It's both unclear and not really good-looking either :P

Thanks a lot for the feedback! (This is not a defence-reply, I just want to make sure I understood your feedback right :) )

#11 _226097

_226097

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:33 AM

Ahh I didn't know the coin system worked like that. I pull back my comment then, I like your way even better! New players might have the same mental model of coin system that I had though. Maybe it can be represented different ? I don't know exactly how.

About the progression overview, I know there is a menu button and all that. I'm just suggesting a better user experience. Instead of having the same "Next/Menu" screen I'd like to see I've progressed. If you don't want to take the player back to the menu, maybe just a representation of "Completed X out of 12 Levels" or likewise.

Keep up the good work ;)!

#12 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:05 AM

Glad you liked the coin-system ;) I'll keep in mind that it's not automatically understood by new players. Thanks.

About the progression overview, I know there is a menu button and all that. I'm just suggesting a better user experience. Instead of having the same "Next/Menu" screen I'd like to see I've progressed. If you don't want to take the player back to the menu, maybe just a representation of "Completed X out of 12 Levels" or likewise.

I see what you mean.. It doesn't even say that you completed the level on that screen. Not good. I'll keep that in mind as well ;) Thanks for the feedback, really! :D

#13 AngryDemonSoftware

AngryDemonSoftware

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

Oh my god!!

This is great!!!!!

#14 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:34 PM

So after over a year I've actually got a small update for this one! The pirate world is complete! I'm very happy how the pirate boss turned out, as well as a lot of code cleaning that was very much needed. 

Changes in v0.5.4

- Full pirate world including boss!
- Reworked helicopter and tank for the medieval world.
- Checkmarks for completed worlds
- Minor menu fixes

#15 PhoenixBoltS

PhoenixBoltS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:04 AM

The game is great but the best thing about this game is its graphics its awesome... :biggrin:

1978795.png

Download Vital Rescue for free !!! Get it on Google Play

Our Website- http://phoenixboltstudios.weebly.com

#16 BobFish

BobFish

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

Looks really cool, sadly I'm IOS so can't play though. I'd definitely consider releasing it for IOS as well with the final version. Looks like something I'd happily pay for when its complete.

After using GameMaker since 2009, I've finally begun working on my first big project which is an economic simulation / tycoon game.

My Site: www.BobFishProductions.com

My Twitter: @RealBobFish

fs.png

#17 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:28 PM

Thanks! I kind of get the "eternal beta"-feeling with this one, so it's good to actually finish the pirate world. I'll probably not release for iOS for money reasons, but it would be nice of course :) 

Phoenix: I'd have to agree that the graphics feels better than the actual gameplay, haha :D 

#18 PhoenixBoltS

PhoenixBoltS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:12 AM

yup its true haha... but seriously your game is nice i really enjoyed playing the game.

if you have time than plz try my game Vital Rescue get it on Google Play

Thanks

1978795.png

#19 trg601

trg601

Member of the GMC

• GMC Member
  • 629 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

Looks fun! Cute graphics!

Unfortunately I don't have an android smartphone so I can't play it,

do you have any plans for a pc edition?

Because of the forum being archived, the above post is probably pretty old and may not reflect my current opinion.
If you want to find some of my games go to: Mutantbrain

#20 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:53 PM

Well.. Touch screen is a crucial part of the controls so I never thought about it. Maybe I should consider making a Windows version for people that want to try it out or has a touch screen computer or tablet with Windows. I have no intention of making a Windows App or whatever they call it now :P

#21 PhoenixBoltS

PhoenixBoltS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

Why dont you make a apple's IOS version of this game... there a huge audiens awaiting for you :rolleyes:

( sorry for my bad english if any :lol:)

1978795.png

#22 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

Why dont you make a apple's IOS version of this game... there a huge audiens awaiting for you :rolleyes:

( sorry for my bad english if any :lol:)

Because Apple would drain my money. (And yes, that is the reason :P ) It's $99 a year for App Store, $299(?) for the export module (I only have Pro+Android) AAAND I need a mac for the exporting process!

Apple - Why do you hate me  :( (Yes, Bruce Almighty voice recommended.)

#23 iowafalcon

iowafalcon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

Great look. 

Why not check out www.ChiPassGames.com

and Outer Rim Assault on Google Play