• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:07 AM

GMC%20ad%20part%201-1.png?token_hash=AAF

FAQs and More Info:

Spoiler

GMC%20ad%20part%202.png?token_hash=AAFo9
Download link is a quick bit.ly redirect to a dropbox download. Middleman used only to count downloads. Dropbox used for high speed, ad-free downloads.

Transcript in Plaintext:
Spoiler

Link to videos:
http://www.youtube.c...7u32hnCIGwH6dQg

Other things:
I also post to Screenshot Saturdays on the GameMaker subreddit.
Look familiar? Remember me or this game? Well, yeah, that makes sense. I made a history video for you here!

Known Issues:
- Some animations aren't yet updated to the new smooth animation
- There's no standing up animation after ragdolling
- You may have to cheat a little in the first level due to double-jumping being currently disabled. Just bounce off the view floor and you'll be fine.
- Need to update use of the escape button.
Recent Updates:

10/3/2013
- Added a skip/killswitch for the title screen in case it overwhelms anyone's computer.
- Fixed error when a ragdoll hit a pick-up-able item.

10/5/2013
- Lots of under the hood updates for multiplayer. In fact, the server's up now! At least for a little while. Take it for a spin!
- Auto Update Checker
- Debug Mode

10/7/2013
- Minor Fixes
- Framework for a new environment
- Textbox Fix

10/11/2013
- New Area
- Ziplines (And Dynamic Bending!)

10/12/2013
- Entirely rewrote ledge-grabbing feature. Works much more reliably now!

10/14/2013
- Dying Offscreen
- Ragdoll Bouyancy
- More Jackie Animations
- Wall Crash
- Rocket Boots Made (not yet complete)
- Admin names online (colored green)
- Crouch run sped up
- Added a few blocks to help climbing over things

10/16/2013
- Online Chat System

10/22/2013
- Introducing xygthop's new 24/7 server!
- Support to choose between my server and xygthop3's (much more online) server!
- Tweaks to update checker
- Secret internal framework for the new update I've been teasing
I really hope this goes well! Have fun!

12/18/2013

- Updated IP Addresses for the servers. 

(Don't forget, just because there aren't public updates doesn't mean things aren't happening! Lots of new stuff has been added, but it's still in the beta branch. (Check out the playlist for more info on that.) New huge release should be coming soon. Also a secret side project is coming sooner.)

Edited by Chrscool8, 20 May 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#2 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 744 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

This seems so incredibly amazing. downloading now!

Edit:

Wow, even dymanic foot placement? This is truly awesome!

Edited by Pandaboy, 03 October 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#3 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

This seems so incredibly amazing. downloading now!

Edit:

Wow, even dymanic foot placement? This is truly awesome!

Haha, oh, yeah! I pulled out all the stops on this one! :D

I didn't want to put too many features in the feature-list, so I left that one out, but just barely. ;)

#4 LukanSpellweaver

LukanSpellweaver

Elven Prodigy

• GMC Member
  • 1500 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

I've been following this for a while! I have that old demo from the steam workshop still!

I think this is simply amazing, you must have spent a great deal of time working on this!

I love the smoothness of the animations, they are slightly comical yet realistic.

A+ sir! :thumbsup:

#5 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

I've been following this for a while! I have that old demo from the steam workshop still!

I think this is simply amazing, you must have spent a great deal of time working on this!

I love the smoothness of the animations, they are slightly comical yet realistic.

A+ sir! :thumbsup:

Hey, thanks, man! I really appreciate it! I've been working on the Suh Burb line for 5 years now, this iteration for... jeez, a long time now that I think about it. Really glad you like it.  :)

#6 IceMaster

IceMaster

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 587 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

Doen't everyone just love it? The only problem is my computer goes SO SLOW when I'm playing it, unfortunate.

#7 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

Doen't everyone just love it? The only problem is my computer goes SO SLOW when I'm playing it, unfortunate.

Wait, seriously? What're your specs? It works at a few hundred fps on my crappy laptop, and about 1600 on this PC. It even works on Android... and it's not even compiled with the YYC for this release. (-which is even faster still.)

#8 IceMaster

IceMaster

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

This laptop is about five years old. Anywho, getting a new laptop with Win8 soon (I have Win7) so I'm alright lol.

#9 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:17 AM

This laptop is about five years old. Anywho, getting a new laptop with Win8 soon (I have Win7) so I'm alright lol.

Would still like to know! Could you go to Control Panel\System and Security\System, then let me know what's in the System section, also the average "real fps" you have. Screenshot, perhaps? Please?

#10 IceMaster

IceMaster

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

DELETED

And btw I don't mind my name on here :D

Edited by IceMaster, 03 October 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#11 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

Oooh. Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and not worry about that one... Not sure I can do much for that CPU. Just out of curiosity, though, what was the frame-rate like, number-wise? (Also, go ahead and edit that pic out, there's a thing or two you might not want on the internet here.)

#12 repesorsa

repesorsa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2276 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Looks very good! :)

I managed to break the game though. Somehow there were 2 players. My clone was stuck in water with a skateboard and I was flying through the walls and also got teleported one time to random place.

Sadly I was unable to reproduce that so no idea what caused it. :(

#13 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7110 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

This looks very nice so far. I especially like the character animations -- they're the real star of the show here. They look very natural and fluid, and there's quite a variety of different poses and animations for the different situations. Nice job on those.

Beyond that, I can't say I really enjoyed the game. For starters, that intro was just interminably long and WAY too slow. It was almost as painful as your post. :P Finally, the options scrolled past (VERY slowly) and I tried to select one of them -- but somehow things got messed up and I couldn't select anything. So I quit/restarted. This time, I just hit ENTER and SPACE until something started.

But once inside the game, it was very smooth and the FPS stay high. I'm not really a fan of platform type games where the challenge is mostly jumping / climbing / etc. But I can see this is very well made. Better than most similar games I've seen.

So I think this will do well once you get more features added. I just hope you shorten that intro -- and give players an obvious way to skip it. But either way, great job so far. Well done. :thumbsup: +1

Edited by chance, 03 October 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#14 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

Looks very good! :)
I managed to break the game though. Somehow there were 2 players. My clone was stuck in water with a skateboard and I was flying through the walls and also got teleported one time to random place.
Sadly I was unable to reproduce that so no idea what caused it. :(

Whaaaa. Sounds like you pressed S, then E, then I don't know what. Weird. Thanks, though!

This looks very nice so far. I especially like the character animations -- they're the real star of the show here. They look very natural and fluid, and there's quite a variety of different poses and animations for the different situations. Nice job on those.

Thanks! Yep, that was something I didn't see often in games, so I was determined to see how it went! Pretty well, I suppose.

Beyond that, I can't say I really enjoyed the game. For starters, that intro was just interminably long and WAY too slow. It was almost as painful as your post. :P Finally, the options scrolled past (VERY slowly) and I tried to select one of them -- but somehow things got messed up and I couldn't select anything. So I quit/restarted. This time, I just hit ENTER and SPACE until something started.

Crap. Sorry about that. Yeah, the title screen is the most intensive part of the game. It runs at a scaled 1080p, with randomly generated mountainranges and shaders on top of that. I guess it was lagging out. I'll work on an alternate start up sequence. And heh, yeah... sorry about the post. The main parts are like, the first three sections, then the rest are just expected FAQs, really. :P Gave it a quick edit, since you pushed me off the fence about it. 

But once inside the game, it was very smooth and the FPS stay high. I'm not really a fan of platform type games where the challenge is mostly jumping / climbing / etc. But I can see this is very well made. Better than most similar games I've seen.

So I think this will do well once you get more features added. I just hope you shorten that intro -- and give players an obvious way to skip it. But either way, great job so far. Well done. :thumbsup: +1

Sorry it wasn't to your taste. Thanks, anyways, though. I appreciate you taking the time to give it a shot! :)

EDIT:

Minor update uploaded. Added a skip/killswitch to the title screen, in case it overwhelms any other computers.

Edited by chrscool8, 03 October 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#15 homm88

homm88

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

It's beautiful. Smoothest GM platformer I've ever played, but I did kinda want doublejumping in there at times since jumps were at realistic height and I prefer the videogame feel. Menu looks absolutely stunning too. 

Ran into a bug halfway when running and jumping around, might want to take a look at that. :P

of  Step Event0
for object obj_meds:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 100641.sprCrouch(100015, -1)
 at gml_Object_obj_meds_Step_0 (line -1) - <unknown source line>
############################################################################################

#16 repesorsa

repesorsa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2276 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

One thing I'd like to mention is that hitting Esc just quits the game without any warning. I have a habit of hitting Esc in case I want to skip something, like talking dialog or cutscene... I understand that this isn't anywhere close to finished game but I suggest you change this ASAP if you are creating public releases. I didn't mind the game glitching out but the one thing that did annoy me was this single thing. I wanted to skip some dialog but instead the game just closed and I had to start all over again.

#17 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

It's beautiful. Smoothest GM platformer I've ever played, but I did kinda want doublejumping in there at times since jumps were at realistic height and I prefer the videogame feel. Menu looks absolutely stunning too. 

Ran into a bug halfway when running and jumping around, might want to take a look at that. :P

of  Step Event0
for object obj_meds:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 100641.sprCrouch(100015, -1)
 at gml_Object_obj_meds_Step_0 (line -1) - <unknown source line>
############################################################################################

Heh, yeah, you can actually double jump. I think it's just pretty hidden right now. See, there's a "Flair" system, but most of its gui elements and whatnot are hidden. If you do lots of tricks in a short time, flair mode activates. You become a double image and you can double jump. You can also just activate it by pressing * on the numpad.

Oh, shoot. I know exactly what the problem is. It's never happened to me, but I get the logic behind it. The easiest way I can think of to cause that is to hit the medicine while a ragdoll. (Ragdolls are still a very new addition.) Is that what happened?

Thank you for playing. I'm really happy that you liked it. :)

One thing I'd like to mention is that hitting Esc just quits the game without any warning. I have a habit of hitting Esc in case I want to skip something, like talking dialog or cutscene... I understand that this isn't anywhere close to finished game but I suggest you change this ASAP if you are creating public releases. I didn't mind the game glitching out but the one thing that did annoy me was this single thing. I wanted to skip some dialog but instead the game just closed and I had to start all over again.

I hear ya. Sorry about that! I almost always at least have an "Are you sure?" gate before killing it, but I guess I just never thought about it so far in this project. Next update, Esc will skip entire dialog sections. Good thinking.

#18 MancVandaL

MancVandaL

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

I've sat and watched your sig gifs for ages over various threads and thought they looked great, the finished thing is so much better though. As well as making and selling a game, I think you could possibly make money selling the engine too! I don't know if that's possible, I know we all write our own way and others looking at our code might find it confusing, but if it was doable, you could make a lot of money that way IMO.

As for the game, I read you said you're not artist and to be honest, this game NEEDS the artwork to match the gameplay. It'd be a shame to have such a great engine, with so many features not being used to it's full potential. I'm sure someone would see this and would be willing to have a shared revenue deal or something if you can't afford to pay straight out, I know I would if I was any good at artwork. 

Possible the best use of GM I've seen tbh. GJ.

Edited by MancVandaL, 03 October 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#19 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

I've sat and watched your sig gifs for ages over various threads and thought they looked great, the finished thing is so much better though. As well as making and selling a game, I think you could possibly make money selling the engine too! I don't know if that's possible, I know we all write our own way and others looking at our code might find it confusing, but if it was doable, you could make a lot of money that way IMO.

Yeah, maybe! I'd say this engine is pretty well sorted actually. I took special effort to make sure all the parts were set up to be modular, so I could just fit in new features and abilities as I went with no trouble. I just mentioned elsewhere that I was even strongly considering a tutorial series once this is done. Just like my current dev playlist, but for each of those things a lesson.

As for the game, I read you said you're not artist and to be honest, this game NEEDS the artwork to match the gameplay. It'd be a shame to have such a great engine, with so many features not being used to it's full potential. I'm sure someone would see this and would be willing to have a shared revenue deal or something if you can't afford to pay straight out, I know I would if I was any good at artwork.

I totally agree. I would love to have an artist at my side for this. (Hear that artists? ;) ) As confident as I feel about this game so far, the only thing I truly feel it lacks is that.

Possible the best use of GM I've seen tbh. GJ.

That means a ton to me. Thank you so much.

Edited by chrscool8, 03 October 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#20 homm88

homm88

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

"The easiest way I can think of to cause that is to hit the medicine while a ragdoll. (Ragdolls are still a very new addition.) Is that what happened?"

Yep, pretty sure that was it. Nice to see you're already on it. :P

#21 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

"The easiest way I can think of to cause that is to hit the medicine while a ragdoll. (Ragdolls are still a very new addition.) Is that what happened?"

Yep, pretty sure that was it. Nice to see you're already on it. :P

Haha, yep. I know this engine inside and out by now. :) Already fixed it.

#22 IceMaster

IceMaster

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

Yeah. Any way of putting up the FPS? The menu's is SOOOO SLOOOOOWWWW. And also I want to play the game in a higher FPS.

#23 IceMaster

IceMaster

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

Oh man this is great! And is the mouse supposed to be visible on the menu? Cause otherwise how do you navigate the menu?

#24 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

Crap. Sorry about that. Yeah, the title screen is the most intensive part of the game. It runs at a scaled 1080p, with randomly generated mountainranges and shaders on top of that. I guess it was lagging out.

Normally arrow keys and enter. I guess the title screen is too much for some people. I'd be surprised if the main game has slowdowns at all though.

#25 Robinskie

Robinskie

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Oh man this is awesome! Doing flips is super cool! :P

Also, what is the music in rm_dungeon_field and rm_lair? I recognize it, but can't remember the name.

Anyway great job!

Edited by Robinskie, 04 October 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#26 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Thanks! That's Bramble Blast from Brawl, which is a remix of Stickerbrush Symphony of Donkey Kong Country 2.

#27 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Sorry, phones still double post.. I'll use this space for an update later.

Edited by chrscool8, 04 October 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#28 Nahuel3d

Nahuel3d

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:43 AM

i get this error when a try to start the game:

D3DXCompile failed - result

at gml_Object_obj_mtns_controller_Draw_64 (line -1) - <unknown source line>

heelp!

#29 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2098 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:07 AM

Yep. GameMaker issue. 

http://gmc.yoyogames...01#entry4328236

#30 Nahuel3d

Nahuel3d