• 273 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:31 AM

808262_orig.png 3333612_orig.png

Blog

Download v0.5

Survey

Known Bugs:

Can change ball while playing

Edited by mpc827, 20 October 2013 - 02:57 PM.

8593766_orig.png

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

This is a fairly good start. I played the version in the (4) link, so I assume that's the latest version. Personally, I'd recommend only posting one link -- i.e., the latest one. I really don't think people are interested in playing old versions of a WIP. :P

The game itself has a good challenge, and the objective is simple and clear. The controls work fine too -- so that's all good. And I didn't experience any bugs or glitches.

The big problem I see is that the game window is too small. This makes it nearly impossible to anticipate the next jump. By time you can see the blocks and how far apart they are, it's too late. That doesn't mean the game is impossible. But for me, it's just too hard -- and that takes the fun out of it.

Maybe if you compromised and started out with easier levels, it would be better. So you could, for example, just have the blocks move more slowly. Or you could make the spaces between them smaller so the player had some room for mistakes. But the best suggestion I would make is to open up the window. Specifically, make it wider so the player can anticipate the next move.

I think with some tweaking, this could be a fun game and a challenging diversion. If you adjust the difficulty, add some music and sounds, and maybe spice up the graphics, you'll have a good game here. :thumbsup: +1

Edited by chance, 17 September 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#3 mpc827

mpc827

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:42 AM

Thank you for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

You didn't mention one thing I'm not interested in working on, and will do my best to make it more playable in those regards.

Edited by mpc827, 10 October 2013 - 01:59 AM.

8593766_orig.png

#4 mpc827

mpc827

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

10/9/2013: Pre-Alpha v0.3 Release
New one button control scheme.
Start screen redone.
Removed online scores.
Added "Last Score" save entity.
Made birds only appear after 2000 pixels.
Ported to Android

Edited by mpc827, 11 October 2013 - 03:22 PM.

8593766_orig.png

#5 mpc827

mpc827

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

10/11/2013: Alpha v0.4 Release
New plane random occurance
Optimized performance
Added overlay effect
Changed HUD to only show score
Paddles can now spawn with powerups
Name entry and cheats removed
Ball selection added to start screen ("swipe" left/right)

8593766_orig.png

#6 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

That game is quite polished, I'd say, though there are a few issues which caught my attention:
- I indeed can choose a ball (nice addition, by the way ^^), though it looks like it restarts to default one every time I lose
- sometimes a (somewhat particular, I think it's like the one on the right on the screen with plane) cloud would cover my ball, as if it was in front of it; is it intended? It's especially confusing because that cloud doesn't look different compared to others, and objects in front usually are drawn more "sharply" than background ones, I suppose? ^^"
- I agree with chance that the screen should be somewhat wider, so that more platforms could be seen ahead; otherwise I might fall simply due to having too wide gap between platforms ^^"

Aside from that, that's quite pleasant game and I like what you've done here; I played it a few times and even reached birds at times (I never got a random airplane, though ;-; ). The graphics and soundtrack also fit there rather nicely, though I suppose that if someone played the game for an extended period, having more soundtracks would be nice so they wouldn't get horribly bored. ^^"
(however, I suppose I won't be playing that game too much, since I'm not a fan of games where the main purpose is to reach the highest score, without any story with definite end and such >.<)

Edited by Alice, 13 October 2013 - 10:59 AM.

LShy6C6.png

#7 mpc827

mpc827

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:32 AM

Thank you for your reply.

The ball resetting will be fixed, it was one of those shove in and forget features, because I was focusing more on the platforms with powerups at the time.

Clouds will be fixed up a bit (hopefully)

The resolution is what it is for a reason (uses colors and resolution to match the original gameboy)
However, this issue will definitely be addressed in a sequel -which I have drafted up already!

8593766_orig.png

#8 mpc827

mpc827

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

Small yet fancy update!
Moved the title screen into the game itself.
Scrolls away when you start, I'll hopefully make it so it scrolls back when you die too. (eventually)
This may have caused some bug issues I'm unaware of, so let me know if you find any!
Also saved the ball selection so it doesn't revert to default (even when you reopen the game!) and made none of the clouds appear in the foreground.

Youtube preview

Edited by mpc827, 20 October 2013 - 05:57 AM.

8593766_orig.png

#9 Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Virtual Pie

• GMC Member
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Pretty nice little game. It's good for when you're bored and just want to take a break or whatever :) I wasn't too interested in it until I saw the birds, those are a nice touch. Keep up the good work!

~Guad

P.S. (My high score was 5358)

Memento Mori.