Photo

Fighting Game- Gameplay Updates+Data Menu!

• Please log in to reply
475 replies to this topic

#1 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN CONTINUED ON THE NEW GMC FORUMS HERE:

https://forum.yoyoga....347/#post-2097

l0NaxOf.png

** LIKE us on Facebook!** **Follow us on Twitter!!**

• Category: Fighter 
  • File Size: 46.6 MB
  • GM Version:  Studio
  • Vista Compatible: yes
  • Changes Screen Resolution: No
  • Resolution: 1920x1080
  • Download Link: http://bit.ly/spiritexe

Change log:

Spoiler

About:
This is a physics based, 2D Traditional Fighting Game with heavy Smash Bros. mechanics influence. The goal is to create a fighting game that seamlessly blends the best aspects of the traditional fighters like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat and the non traditional fighter Super Smash Bros. so that both opposing communities can enjoy competing in the same game that feels familiar to both.

Media:
Current Alpha State with placeholder graphics
BKelc22.gif2ag1e0l.gifiei25t.gif35kie7q.jpgU9a3Yzn.gifV9H3pw5.gif

STAGES WIP

giphy.gif

CHARACTER HD Versions
12314149_823616034413494_892664460952704

ANIMATIONS

G4vpjmB.gif

Edited by Nocturne, 22 June 2016 - 07:54 AM.

** LIKE us on Facebook!** Follow us on Twitter!

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#2 KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ

GMC noob

• GMC Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Good job dude. Love to see how far your engine is it has lots of moves and it has pretty simple controls and how you execute your moves.

Though p2 kept running off the screen must of been a sicking key I guess. lol

Edited by KurtBlissZ, 08 August 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#3 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

Thank you very much! :D I can't wait to build it further and add more characters. Depending on which version you downloaded you might have downloaded the one where p2 shared p1s keyboard keys if you didn't have a joystick plugged in. 

I'd be curious to know, did you try to figure out any moves yourself or did you look at the movelist?

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#4 KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ

GMC noob

• GMC Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

I glanced at the controls for a sec and saw arrow keys and num lock keys. lol.

I notice the simple thing like three threw a orb.. but know I'm even more impressed I missed some thing reading the moved list, the hurricane kick and boomer rang is awesome 

and the uppercut is alright but not a dragon punch feels like a crouching hard punch in street fighter.

I did have a joystick plunged in though I didn't configure it..

ps: I got a example for user configuring the controls in game... I actually made it for my own fighting engine.

#5 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Yea the boomerang is my favorite! :D I intended on making just passable animations until I finished enough of the game to show my artist friend to get him on board to do the art since I suck at art. So the graphics and animations will definitely be better once I branch out to a professional graphics artist for help and things like the uppercut will for sure feel better. 

And sure, even though the current custom config isn't going to final, I wouldn't mind seeing another approach to custom controls :D

Edited by kupo15, 14 August 2013 - 06:08 AM.

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#6 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

Update news:

I've added a new move and found a stock background to make things looks a little pretty. I've also fixed some bugs and added some new features. In the original post I added a change log so you can see what changes have been made and I also added a video of me doing some combos. Hope you guys try it out I would love to know your thoughts at the moment. And if you happen to be able to play with a friend and can record your matches to send me, that would be awesome:thumbsup:

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#7 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

The game has a smooth feel to it :) The moves already look and feel quite nice, even though the graphics are currently stick figures. I also like how there are various different moves and they're quite easy to perform even though I don't personally have much experience playing fighting games. I'm interested to see how the later versions will turn out. What are you planning to work on next?

Oh, by the way, the video demonstrating different combos is a great idea! It really shows the player what you can do in the game.

Edited by Koaske, 24 August 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#8 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

Update:

This past weekish has been devoted to making a new character and updating bugs here and there. I hope to have her done in a week then the game will be a bit more interesting!

Thanks for the feedback Koaske! I'm looking forward the more of the game being completed as well and really looking forward to whenever I can get a graphic artist to do sprites so I don't have stick figures and so the game looks really nice! :D 

Do you mean whats next in the project or what is the next project after this?

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#9 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

HUGE update since the last time I posted here. I added a new character that has half of her moves so far. Check the Change Log for specifics. I will update the OP early next week with a video of some combos you can do with Kira!

Hope you guys check it out and provide some feedback! Thanks! :D

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#10 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

Another pretty big update. Added 5 significant changes to the changelog. I'm not sure if I actually uploaded the updated version in my last update but this one is up to date. Expect a new combo video tomorrow to showcase the new mechanics and character for those that can't get a hands on demo

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#11 LazicfulLazi

LazicfulLazi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 158 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

Those body physics are unlike any game I have ever played!

It's hilarious! I would literally pay for a finished game.

God damn it, I oughta stop saying stupid things.

#12 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

Thanks so much for the comment and for the motivation as I am actually planning on taking this game to kickstarter in a month or two, (once I can get the graphics updated to present it well) Its nice to know the project is on a good path! :D 

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#13 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

Update!

I recently found an artist that is signing on for the project. Here is a sample of her work YAY :D

26134_972889200169_2950459_n.jpg

*NEW

Here is a short combo video during my playtesting with a friend!

Here are two friendly matches. Match 2 starts at 1:25

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#14 LazicfulLazi

LazicfulLazi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

Still looking pretty nice!

(Die-hard fan, right here!)

#15 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the support Lazicful, and glad you are still liking how it looks! :D

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#16 C_Pike

C_Pike

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 875 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Time for an update. I would be sad to see this project sputter out as it has serious potential.

#17 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

Haha thanks! I was planning on posting one soon. I have made a lot of progress since the last update (and have been documenting the changes in the change log) I just need to record some matches so I have something to show. I'll try to get an update for monday :D

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#18 AJMGamesDev

AJMGamesDev

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

This is amazing :) I'd love it if I could help you out artistically in some way :D

#19 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the comment and the support :)

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#20 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:30 AM

UPDATE

I still have been improving the game a bunch, here is just an official update announcement. I also added a recent video. I've still been fine tuning the mechanics which is why I haven't added more characters yet but they will come in the near future. But regardless the mechanics adjustments have really improved the gameplay, hopefully you like it as much as I do! :D

2 Matches + highlights of other matches

Recent changelog activities:

10/24:

-Tweaked the Wallbounce mechanic

-Started to create a more dynamic camera

-Added Camera Shaking

-Fixed some bugs

10/20:

-Tweaked the hitstun system (both type and length)

-Changed teching

-Added up Tap jump

-Changed some Ninja move inputs 

-Fixed some bugs

Edited by kupo15, 29 October 2013 - 04:30 AM.

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#21 LazicfulLazi

LazicfulLazi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

That looks great! The camera-shakes really add to those heavy punches!

#22 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Thanks LazicfulLazi! I'm glad I finally have a nice coding base for the camera. I've been putting it off for too long :D

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#23 C_Pike

C_Pike

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 875 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Nice!!!

thanks for the update.

#24 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

Thanks! Sure no problem. The Pre-Alpha stage is almost complete and the transition into the Alpha version is just started. We are in the concept art phase of the characters so the next update should be the final Pre-Alpha Version before the graphics start improving. Can't wait for that!

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#25 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

Just a small update:

I am experimenting with making simpler controls as suggested to me by my friend. Not that the controls are that difficult but that maybe they could be more accessible from the start. So I'm trying it out little by little to see. Here are the main changes so far

Ninja:

Boomerang -Forward+Punch (can Now hold the direction before pressing punch instead of at the same time)

-Hurricane kick - DownBack&Kick/special (instead of quarter circle back)

-Slide -downforward+kick/special (can now hold the direction before pressing punch instead of at the same time)

-Rising double kick - down>forward>kick/special (used to be down>down>kick)

Flip Kick - down>down>kick/special (used to be up>forward>kick)

Any feedback on the changes from those of you who have played using the last configuration would be very helpful!

Lastly, I said that I wouldn't make any more characters and wait for the final build to do that but I changed my mind and will soon start to create a new character for this Pre-Alpha Build. I realized that doing this will help in the future even though the animations made for this build won't be seen in the final build. Thanks!

https://dl.dropboxus...ghting Game.zip

Edited by kupo15, 06 November 2013 - 03:48 PM.

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#26 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:29 AM

Small update:

Made some changes to the wallbounce including the ability to slightly alter the angle you come off of it.

Check out the Ninja's Hurricane kick...in the air!

And I'm working on this little guy :D

qUQ8cgd.png

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#27 CrazyCrab

CrazyCrab

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Works really smooth, pretty damn good.

Im wondering how will you develop this game even further - will you use common mechanics from games like Mortal Kombat or invent your own?

Cant wait to see where this goes.

#28 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I'm not entirely sure what new mechanics will be introduced. I am keeping my eyes open to whats out there and if I can incorporate that or put a creative spin I definitely will do that. Other than MK's Fatality system and the cookie-cutter AABAXY auto combos (which is still something I'm debating on) I'm not too sure what else MK has to offer mechanics-wise. I've already taken a bunch of inspiration from Smash and Street Fighter mechanics and and still trying to figure out an awesome and interesting Ring out system that feels as good as smash's ring out system and not like Soul Calibur's cheap feeling ring out system. I have an idea but haven't figure out how to implement it yet. 

In the meantime I'm going to be adding more characters and moves which will give me a much better sense of the overall system since I will have more match ups and possibilities. I'm also working with my artist to help produce top quality graphics for the the final version as well. 

I feel like the game is missing something and expect constant tweaking to the mechanics in place but I'm sure with more characters and more playtesting it will become clearer and clearer as to what I need to do to make the game get to the next level.

Thanks for support and as always, if you or anyone is able to play with a friend (which will be hard without a PC controller) and you're able to record it, I would love to see it and know I will be able to learn something from watching your matches :D

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#29 Mamnarock

Mamnarock

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

A very good fighting engine. Keep working on it.

It remember me a project that I used to working on. My project (Battle Of Anime) was very popular, but the fighting engine was a very, very crappy.

#30 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

I tried YTing your game to see how mine reminded you about it but I came up empty lol

Thanks for the support and kind words:D

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#31 OHKO

OHKO

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 34 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

I'm a fan of fighters so I just had to try this! :D

I've messed around a little bit, but from what I can tell the engine and design are pretty solid. Despite just trying out 2 characters, they have interesting movesets with good variety. The input "auto-correct" when you land on the other side of the opponent is a bit strange, but I can get used to it. I've found one glitch: if Kira gets 2 consecutive throws against the walls vs. Ninja, he has no way of getting out by himself (not even with flip-kick). It's looks insanely impractical to set up in a real match, so it's not really a big deal :P

This definitely has a lot of potential, so I'll keep checking back for updates!

Is there any chance you have this posted over at Shoryuken or Smashboards?

GprjRUX.png

#32 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

Thanks for the trying the game and the feedback! What specifically about landing on the other side was strange? The fact that the landing animation doesn't automatically turn around? Its purely aesthetic as I thought it would looks strange if they auto flipped immediately but don't be fooled because while you are facing away any moves you input will automatically face the other way. If you still think its strange and worth changing its easy because I have to invest a line of code to purposely make it not flip when you land so I would simply need to remove that line.

The only thing that I need to think about that could be weird is when you cross up someone, the inputs don't reverse when you are in the air until you land which makes the buffering uppercuts, for example, a little strange. The directions for moves is "technically correct" because if you are facing away forward is still the direction you are facing but forward isn't the direction towards the opponent. It used to flip as you crossed over but the tech rolling system was fighting that and you would tech in a different direction than what you were pressing sometimes so I gave that priority for the moment. Though now that I've decided to greatly reduce the options of tech rolling maybe I should reconsider changing the inputs back so they reverse once you cross over the player?

About the chain grab, I briefly tried it and unless I'm doing it wrong I was able to get out of it. Did you try using a simple air kick to get out of the chain grab? When your exploit happens, does the Ninja bounce against the wall or just slides against it?

I was thinking about posting on smashboards, though I'm not sure if I should wait until the art gets better or not. I want to but I'm just not sure when I should. Though I probably should post it on Shoryuken since I assume thats the SF community? and this is more SF geared so their feedback would be awesome!

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#33 OHKO

OHKO

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

The land aesthetic is completely fine, and a nice touch ^_^ But yeah, as you said, buffering moves before landing are typically reversed after crossups. The way it is now is not an actual problem, but anyone with a background in traditional fighting games would be caught off-guard :P

As for the grab, it's actually a glitch that gets the opponent stuck in the wall. To get it to work, your opponent has to be back against the wall. Then you walk into them as far as you can, grab, and do the forward throw. The opponent will usually go into the "knocked down" state, and when they get up they'll be semi-stuck. If you repeat this while they are semi-stuck, you'll be able grab them closer into the wall, to make them unable to escape by their own means.

Another exploit I forgot to mention is that if you hold forward, and then walk back, you'll walk backwards much faster than normal. I'm guessing this is a debug thing, but I thought I should mention it B)

I'll think about recording stuff for this project sometime, keep up the awesome work!

GprjRUX.png

#34 C_Pike

C_Pike

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 875 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Keep up the awesome bug reporting OHKO!

#35 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

Oh that wall thing! and it makes an annoying noise because its repeating the landing sfx hahaha Yea that is something I am aware of and have on my list of things to do. Its because my collision detection is predictive and not when you actually are in the wall and when you grab that close you can teleport into the wall and there you go! Will definitely fix that :)

Woah, thanks for the walk thing, you must be using the keyboard so I'm less likely to know that since I've been testing on the gamepad. That is definitely unintended, you should be walking backwards slower than you do forward. Maybe thats why my friend can escape me so easily since he uses the keyboard! I know exactly where to go to fix that. 

What are your thoughts on the crossup controls? Should I flip them so forward is towards your opponent always or keep it as is where forward is the actual direction you are facing? I'm thinking about leaning towards the former.

Thanks for the bug posting and I'm happy to hear your consideration on recording! I'll make sure to have the knife character done within 2 weeks tops so he can be fully available for you! :D

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#36 OHKO

OHKO

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

No prob, and yeah I'm using a keyboard :P

About the cross-up thing, It's hard to say since I haven't played anyone yet. Since this project is kinda a beast on its own (from SF and Smash), perhaps you can stray from the norm as long as it "feels" natural. Though if you decide to go with the "norm", inputting air specials should remain the way you have them, but buffering inputs before you land should be reversed as soon as you crossup. (Though there's like a really small auto-correct window in SF4, and UMvC3 has moves that auto-correct no matter what, so it's really whatever flows with this engine).

Also, right after I posted yesterday: Whenever you break your opponents shield, and you collide into them with a move that ends with momentum (even a regular forward jump), both you and the opponent will keep sliding until you press something or they recover. This could possibly be applied as a "corner-carry".

I'll be looking forward to that knife character!

Edited by OHKO, 24 November 2013 - 02:21 AM.

GprjRUX.png

#37 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

Wow you explored the game enough to find that shield break thing too!? Have you peeked at my "to do" list? lol Very nice debugging there! :D 

I've been debating on the shield break thing actually. Its currently programmed like smash but I'm not sure if that is something I really want for the game or if it fits. Another idea I was thinking and actually might program right now just to see how it feels would be to not put you in a dizzy state but instead simply make the person flash for a brief period in which you can't shield while its recharging. Might be interesting because then the person really has to do some active defense instead of being passive with the shield and it will definitely be something not done in fighting games to my knowledge. 

Ok, I'll have to keep playing and testing and see which auto correct feels better, over time the answer should be apparent. Its been a while since I played with the auto correct so I'm going to put it back in to see what its like. 

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#38 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

Thanks to OHKO for bringing these bugs to my attention, fixed these small bugs and the game is updated. The next update will have the knife character more developed and playable even if he isn't finished.

11/24:

-Fixed walking back fast glitch for keyboard controls

-Reverted cross-ups control directions to always reference opponent

-Changed shield break mechanic to simply disable shielding while waiting for shield to recover (testing)

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#39 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:55 AM

BX2l0X3.jpg

BIG UPDATE!!

Download link:

Here are the most recent change logs:

Spoiler

Here is a description of the new Mechanic

Locking Facing Direction:

-This game uses automatic facing towards your opponent. Sometimes the direction can get messed up when comboing close to that "flip line" when you are in the same place as your opponent. HOLD the "Facing Button" (default SPACEBAR for keyboard and L1 for Joystick) to lock your facing direction instead of auto flipping when you cross over your opponent

KNIFE MOVELIST

Spoiler

I want to note that the new knife character is PLAYABLE which while he does have a decent amount of moves I am not done making moves for him. Also, I am aware that there is a bug related to the Knife Character, not that disruptive to the game but noticeable at rare occasions, lets see if you can find it! ;)

I will hopefully get a video up soon with the new character and the new changes within a week.

Hope you enjoy the update and as always, all feedback is appreciated!!  

kupo

Edited by kupo15, 04 December 2013 - 03:51 AM.

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#40 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:07 AM

Added a quick video just to give you guys an idea of the new WIP playable character and it also shows off the new stage. After playing these matches I realized that the new stage gives the Ninja character a slight advantage to the Ninja character over the other two which is awesome! I'm glad to see the stage able to influence the match ups slightly!

3 Quick Matches to show off the new Stage and New Character

(don't mind the two glitches you see in the video. The first one is fixed and the other I still need to figure out how to replicate it to fix it)

Edited by kupo15, 04 December 2013 - 04:08 AM.

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#41 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for checking it out and for the comment!

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#42 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:56 AM

Small Update focusing on the new Knife Character.

Change log:

12/15:

-Added 3 Moves for the Knife Character

(Knife throw down - downforward+punch)

(Kick - Kick)

(Low Kick - Down+Kick)

-Blade Dive Move (fwd>fwd&punch) now has a "Special Form using the "Special Button"

-Tweaked the hitboxes on the Knife Character

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#43 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:59 AM

Happy New Year!

Here are some significant updates:

CHANGELOG

12/31:

-Tweaked moves for all 3 characters

-Added Walljumping (Tap jump button while hugging wall)

-Replaced Short Jump with momentum reducing mechanic (Tap "back" to slow your momentum)

-Fixed Wall Stuck Glitch! (FINALLY)

-Fixed Projectile occasionally not hurting opponent glitch

-Uppercuts can alter trajectory (before the move hits, holding upforward, forward or downforward will lower the trajectory from least to most respectively)

-Changed the attack input to make controls easier:

NINJA

-Double Kick is now Forward&Kick (at the same time)

KIRA

-Twirling Staff is now DownBack&Punch (at the same time)

-Thrust Kick is now DownFoward+Kick

-Butterfly Kick is now Forward&Punch (at the same time)

KNIFE

-Full Moon is now DownBack&Punch (at the same time)

Let me know your thoughts on the attack input changes and I am requesting feedback from my blocking system. Like traditional fighters my game has both high and low block, unlike trad fighters in my game blocking low exposes you to high attacks instead of being the ultimate method of blocking. Does this work well or is it too difficult/annoying to predict high and low? Should I stick with what is normally done and have low block also block high attacks as well?

Thanks!

Edited by kupo15, 31 December 2013 - 06:08 AM.

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#44 OHKO

OHKO

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

Once again, I can't give much input on the character balance, though I think the Ninja is by far the easiest and most forgiving to use, you can start kicking butt right away (think Sheik in Melee, Kilik throughout SoulCalibur, or pretty much everyone in SFxT).

The very first thing I did was picked the Knife guy, and he seems pretty fun. I'm not sure how good the priority his dive attack has (f, f, punch), but it seems like it could be difficult to punish (if it passes the character on block like Psycho Crusher). Overall he's a cool character :thumbsup:

The very 2nd thing I did was to look for glitches, and what better way to start than the offset in the middle of the second level! It appears that you can still do the wall glitch against it, but there was something new: If you grab the opponent on the very edge and slide off, the opponent gets stuck in a different kind of way, and grabbing again gets an error message.

It'll be way better for me to judge whenever I actually play someone, but I'll try to touch upon the blocking philosophy. It really depends on the rest of the game on what type of blocking you should have.

-In Tekken, it's reversed! You mostly block high because Mid attacks break low blocks, they are a little bit faster, there are a lot of them, and probably have better properties. Low attacks are pretty slow and obvious, unless they do really small damage. High's are really fast, but they can be blocked standing or whiffed if crouching.

-In SF4 series, you can look at it like this: High blocking also comes with being able to walk backwards, which makes footsies more viable (which is basically "mid range" game). Anyways, up close, it'll literally become a guessing game if High attacks had to be blocked high :o The way it is now, you have to worry about chip damage, overheads, focus attack, and being thrown while you are in block pressure. Things are made more complex with all the character's unique toolsets :( But that's just the way SF4 is, and I see this game being a bit wilder, akin to Melee :)

-Melee: Since there are a lot of "factors" that go into the physics (Directional Influence, Percentages, different tractions, dynamic collision boxes, analog controls, stage layout+hazards, different weights, etc.) I think this sort of allowed them to bypass as many subsystems as possible (ex: Meter). Bubble Shield can block any attack that isn't a grab, so it's even more of a "Universal" block than "downback". Drawbacks of course is the constant drain and shield dropping is pretty laggy. If you want to cancel it, you usually only have 5 ways (jump, roll, backroll, spotdodge, and grab) all of which are pretty easy for your opponent to capitalize on. Be prepared to commit to being on the defensive for a while if you shield...

-UMvC3: I won't really get much into Marvel, but you can probably get an idea of how effective traditional blocking is at high speed :(

I figure you probably knew all these things, but I'm just pointing out how it's balanced across other games. I think if you want some traditional style mixups, just keep the left and right blocking, but omit low and highs. One reason is because there are elevated situations, so it might look weird to get hit by a low attack if your opponent is at a higher level. If you really would like to have low+high blocking, then I say make some of the slower moves "overheads".

Sorry I didn't get to play much of it this time around, but I'll still look forward to more! Happy New Years!

Now I must go get batteries for my mouse...

Edited by OHKO, 31 December 2013 - 06:45 PM.

GprjRUX.png

#45 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

And so you are right with those glitches lol Nice job! It took me a little bit to figure out how the heck you managed to walk off and still grab but I knew exactly what would happen once I replicated the glitch :)

I'm glad for your observation about the Ninja about how accessible he is because that means I succeeded in making him my Mario, Ryu all around easy type character I set out to achieve! Thanks for the reassurance! And yea, the f f p dive move was somewhat based off of Physco Crusher :P The move hits the shield multiple times and while depending on the spacing its used it can pop through to the other side but there should be enough lag to punish on block.

Thanks for all the blocking philosophy! Seriously, the only mechanics I know extremely well are Melee's because that is my fighting game of choice and I'm quite good at it. I know all the ins and outs of it like the back of my hand. You are also on Smashboards right? I'm pretty sure I've seen you on it when I used to be more active before I even started this project!

I liked your comment about how lows are more telegraphed in tekken, it prompted me to add more startup to the Ninja's low punch just now. That move has a guaranteed link to the uppercut (and some other moves) so it being a low attack that comes out on frame 3 with a true followup is probably a little too strong. I changed it to come out on frame 6 but maybe that too might be too quick. I'll have to see.

I also liked your point about how High blocks in SF4 allows for footsies, currently I'm stuck in the past with SF2t where both blocks lock you in shield. I think I should definitely upgrade to the year 2014 with that!  :thumbsup:

I'm so glad you see this game being more Melee like as that is the goal somewhat. I don't want to replicate Smash because I honestly feel you can't really improve on something as amazing as Melee while making it feel different so I decided to make it like a Trad Fighter (something I know very little about...go figure!) with heavy Smash influences. I'm glad I haven't lost that smash vibe though I'm fearing the more I develop the game the more its becoming Smash without ledges   :ermm: I hope not! I intend on creating a 2v2 team mode like Smash and plan on having stage variety like Smash as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how the 2v2 will work with the fixed facing directions...I think I can make it work pretty well and be unique!

We shall see what your opinions are of High/low block once you play with someone. I would hate to have to lose that aspect of the game but if its better off without it then maybe it will be for the best!

Thanks so much for the detailed and informative post. Happy New Years and looking forward to your future feedback  :biggrin:

(And PS: The trick to using Kira well is getting comfortable with her Evade Dash (down>back>forward) Her jump somewhat sucks but her evade dash is a strong horizontal hop which helps with combos and approaching otherwise she will be difficult to play with)

Edited by kupo15, 31 December 2013 - 09:03 PM.

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#46 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Hey everyone,

Here is a new video made last night. I wish my friend would pick someone other than the Ninja to get more diverse matchups but I doubt that will ever happen lol :( Hope you like it!

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#47 Drucrazy3

Drucrazy3

Blue Arrow Arcade

• GMC Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

I gave up trying to play this game because I couldn't get the 2nd player to move around, or do absolutely anything. I tried the controls in the description of this post but it didn't work at all. I re-downloaded the game and tried to see if it worked, but nothing. Its a great concept, I was playing with the 1st player and everything worked perfect. The menu was hard to use, I was confused as to how I could start the game.

Please fix these and make the controls for 2nd player easier. Maybe the arrows for them?

#48 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Sure I'll make the controls better for the 2nd player. I just never thought anyone would attempt to use two ppl on the same keyboard and didn't know what buttons to program for him but I did allow the controls to be changed through the INI file until I make an in-configuration system. (Also if you have a cpu joystick if you plug that in the default p1 controls become the default p2 controls since the joystick is occupying p1)

Here is the updated EXE file you should DL again to make the arrow keys work for player 2. I also made this EXE not have Player 2 start with its character selected as well

https://www.dropbox....me DruCrazy.exe

And here is the INI file to download as well to replace the one in the folder. I didn't know how you want to change player 1's action buttons to fit player 2 on there so what I did is this:

Player 1:

up/down/left/right -WASD

Punch - J (USE THIS TO DE-SELECT A CHARACTER AND/OR GO BACK TO PREV MENU)

Kick - K (USE THIS TO SELECT A CHARACTER/STAGE AND GOTO NEXT MENU)

Grab/Special button - L

Alt Jump - I

Player 2:

up/down/left/right - Arrow Keys

Punch - Numpad1 (USE THIS TO DE-SELECT A CHARACTER AND/OR GO BACK TO PREV MENU)

Kick - Numpad2  (USE THIS TO SELECT A CHARACTER/STAGE AND GOTO NEXT MENU)

Grab/Special Button - Numpad 3

Alt Jump - Numpad 5

https://www.dropbox....trol_config.ini

Is this ok? Otherwise what would you like the punch, kick, grab and alternate jump (other than tapping up?) to be for each player? 

Sorry you had trouble. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

NOTE TO EVERYONE:

In light of this I decided to make the above controls the standard one just in case anyone else attempts to share the keyboard they won't run into problems. Thanks!

Edited by kupo15, 06 January 2014 - 05:21 AM.

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#49 CrazyGuyGames

CrazyGuyGames

YYGF Member

• GMC Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

It would have been fun to try, but sadly you chose an horrible layout for the default keys (Laptop user I don't have a fancy numpad with me).

AZGIWjf.png

aSzDlXB.png

#50 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

The numberpad layout? That was changed several days ago to the JKLI keys instead which means the layout is ok for laptop ppl also. I just downloaded the link to double check and you should have no problem so what are you talking about? Even if player 1 had the numberpad layout for you laptop users all you need to do is put Function lock on and there you go, You can use the numberpad keys which I think will be the JKLI keys anyway.  This is for player 1 but if you are talking about player 1 AND player 2 I have no idea how one would begin to try and share a keyboard without a numberpad key. This game does support gaming controllers to combat this problem so I'm not sure what more you want me to do.

So I don't understand how my layout is horrible? If you want a different set of controls all you have to do is ask instead of what you typed. What would you rather see?

Edited by kupo15, 09 January 2014 - 05:32 AM.

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler