83 replies to this topic

#1 jaimec

jaimec

GMC Member

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 12 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

We’re making it irresistible for GameMaker 7 & 8.0 users this Summer with a special offer to upgrade to GameMaker: Studio Standard for only $9.99.

Take advantage of this truly special offer and unleash the power of GameMaker: Studio’s functionality.

For more information on how to migrate games from GameMaker 7 and 8 to GameMaker: Studio Standard, please see our Wiki entry on "Porting GameMaker 7 and GameMaker 8 to GameMaker: Studio."

Upgrade Now!

Thank you for your continued support.

The YoYo Games Team 

#2 deathzero021

deathzero021

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 761 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

what about 8.1 users?

#3 nickydude

nickydude

MadLad Designs

• GMC Member
  • 599 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

I have 8.1 also. How do you go about this?

#4 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 2833 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

I got the email just now that notified me about this and I thought "hey, for what converts to about £6 why not?"  so I gave it a go.  Says my key (which I verified as showing up on my current Game Maker's 'About' box thing as being the same) is invalid or something.  It's not illegal since I paid for it as I have paid for several times before.

Am using GM8.1.  Does that not count?

edit: tried it again and it says the key's already been used... I don't know what it's doing.

Edited by Carnivac, 31 July 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#5 deathzero021

deathzero021

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 761 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

I got the email just now that notified me about this and I thought "hey, for what converts to about £6 why not?"  so I gave it a go.  Says my key (which I verified as showing up on my current Game Maker's 'About' box thing as being the same) is invalid or something.  It's not illegal since I paid for it as I have paid for several times before.

Am using GM8.1.  Does that not count?

edit: tried it again and it says the key's already been used... I don't know what it's doing.

as far as i know, that has never worked. i see time and time again people complaining that it won't take their key. also from what it looks like, they did not mention 8.1 so no, it will not work for upgrading from 8.1. Make any sense? No but that's how it is. (8.1 was more expensive when compared to 7 and 8 so this is a bit unfair)

#6 huh?

huh?

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

I've got version 7.0 Pro but for some reason the SoftWrap purchase ref isn't recognised when put into the licence field. Dunno what's up with that...unless they're is a different field I'm meant to enter it into?

#7 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 9298 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Oh snap, for a while I've been contemplating switching from 7 to Standard. (Although it seems I'll need Pro for the YYC, right? Bah, later down the road)

What a great thing to wake up to!

...However it seems my key is invalid, too. Please get this fixed!

#8 BassZ

BassZ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

I put in my 8.1 code but it only dropped the price down to 25$ instead of 9$? I am praying this is a bug because I REALLY want to upgrade since its such a good deal but not getting a the full discount because its 8.1 instead of 8? That just seems a bit odd... Can an admin please clarify on this?

#9 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 9298 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

I put in my 8.1 code but it only dropped the price down to 25$ instead of 9$? I am praying this is a bug because I REALLY want to upgrade since its such a good deal but not getting a the full discount because its 8.1 instead of 8? That just seems a bit odd... Can an admin please clarify on this?

Sorry man, but it says 7 and 8.0 users only. Half off is still better than nothing, though!

#10 BassZ

BassZ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

Sorry man, but it says 7 and 8.0 users only. Half off is still better than nothing, though!

Well, I don't have THAT kind of money right now but yeah, a discount is a discount...

But its kinda misleading to send an email to an 8.1 user saying that you can upgrade from 7 or 8 to studio for 9$ because the average person will go "Oh, GM8? 8.1 must fall under that category" The email really should have had an asterix note at the bare minimum because all it does is mislead the average person. Yeah, once you get to the store page, put in your code, ect, you can see its not 9$ but it still feels like a misleading advertisement. Why even send that to someone who only owns an 8.1 code?

EDIT(12:32 - 8/1/2013): They have fixed it, GM 8.1 now gives the proper discount!

Edited by BassZ, 01 August 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#11 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 9298 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Ohh, no wonder you 8.1 users keep commenting. I didn't get an email, I just stumbled across this announcement! :P

#12 BassZ

BassZ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Ohh, no wonder you 8.1 users keep commenting. I didn't get an email, I just stumbled across this announcement! :P

That's why its upsetting for me XD If the email made mention of 8.1 as not being covered I would have been okay, but the lack of any note and the fact that they sent me the email even though I don't have an 7 or 8.0 is kinda cheap. Yeah, its a discount being 25$ instead of full price but to send out an email and make you think you have a better deal then what you actually have access too just rubs me the wrong way and feels like a greedy marketing strategy :S

I don't think I am entitled to the discount but I will complain that the way they marketed this discount is pretty low and an attempt to pull the wool over the average consumers eyes. I don't expect to get this discount but I expect that a correction follow up email be considered OR that the marketing team puts a little more thought into the emails for the next time they do something like this.

#13 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 4271 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

I suspect that this sale is explicitly aimed at users who will be affected by the upcoming shutdown of Softwrap. When Softwrap's servers go down for good a month from now, existing licenses will expire with them. Anyone still using these versions should get the upgrade ASAP.

And for those of you screaming "it's not fair, why not GM8.1", GM8.1 already has an existing upgrade path to GMS Standard --- this sale is not part of that.

GameGeisha

#14 Tryce

Tryce

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

Missed the special by 0.1 GM versions ;( . Aw well, I didn't even know about the original upgrade discount, so I'm glad YoYo sent that email. Might bite anyway and get Studio for half the price.

Edited by Tryce, 31 July 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#15 gmdud

gmdud

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 650 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

Unfortunately. both my GM7 and GM8 keys are invalid. From the looks of it everyone else has the same issue aswell.

#16 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 2833 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

So even though I spent enough on buying each version when I had to (even had to get one twice cos originally wouldn't accept my card details and had to use a friends card to pay for it which then meant that GM had his name on it and then we fell out and I had to then buy my own as he decided to then take that GM key), I don't qualify for the ten dollars price discount?  Oh well.  If that's true I won't bother with GM:S then.  It just doesn't offer me any improvements in the areas I require the most to make it worth me paying the larger asking price. I'd have snapped it up at 10 dollars for an upgrade though. 

#17 legocjman

legocjman

Soldier of Christ

• GMC Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

From the looks of things, I wonder if they bothered to test it first...

#18 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1218 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

My one is getting invalid too! I hope this gets fixed soon. I thought I was typing it wrong so I used licence recovery and copied that one in and it still said it was invalid! I am using game maker 8.1 PRO.

PWEEEEEEESE FIX DEESSSSS I WAANNNA PORT TO MAH MACX SO BADDDDLLLLYYYYY

[/babyrant]

#19 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 9298 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

My one is getting invalid too! I hope this gets fixed soon. I thought I was typing it wrong so I used licence recovery and copied that one in and it still said it was invalid! I am using game maker 8.1 PRO.

PWEEEEEEESE FIX DEESSSSS I WAANNNA PORT TO MAH MACX SO BADDDDLLLLYYYYY
[/babyrant]

Keep in mind it's for 7 and 8.0 keys, only.

#20 legocjman

legocjman

Soldier of Christ

• GMC Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Wanted to use my GM7 key and get Standard for a friend, but it doesn't appear to be working in either field.

#21 LukanSpellweaver

LukanSpellweaver

Formerly StewartB

• GMC Member
  • 1735 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

Why is there no official comment on this? Like "Hey we're trying to fix it." or something, It just seems a bit weird because of the long chain of "It's not working" comments. Hmmm. :whistling:

#22 DBoyWheeler

DBoyWheeler

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 13 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'm having the same problem with GM7.  I can't get my license key.

#23 PhGrSt

PhGrSt

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

I'm also having the same issue. I was able to contact SoftWrap to get my original purchase reference, but so far they have been unable to give me an actual license.

I can install GM 8 with a fresh install and activate the full version with this purchase reference with no problem... even on a new machine... but when I try to use this purchase reference for the GM Studio upgrade, I am told that it is not valid.

I contacted YYG support and this is what I was told:

"Hi there,

Unfortunately we can not recover any GameMaker 7.0 or 8.0 licenses as these were supported by a completely separate company (Softwrap) who distribute and handle the licenses.
We do not have access to licensing information or account details.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Kind Regards,
James Foreman
YoYo Games Customer Support Technician"

I'm not sure what's going on here, but it doesn't seem like everyone is on the same page internally when it comes to this upgrade offer.

I suggest that everyone open a ticket and maybe even send out some tweets to get their attention so we can get some kind of official word on this. 

Has ANYONE gotten this to work? 

#24 DBoyWheeler

DBoyWheeler

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 13 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Well, I have the installation stuff and the key from earlier so hopefully if I had to reinstall GM7 it should still do so.

#25 PhGrSt

PhGrSt

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

FAQ just posted about the issue:

http://help.yoyogame...rd-for-9-99-FAQ

How to Upgrade:

We are offering all 7.0, 8.0 & 8.1 users can receive GameMaker: Studio Standard for $9.99!

To do this, please click HERE and locate 'Upgrade license'. Please put your previous license key into this box and click the upgrade button. Please ensure that your subtotal has changed to $9.99 before you proceed to the checkout.

Before importing your GameMaker 7.0 & 8.0 games into GameMaker: Studio, please be sure to see:

http://help.yoyogame...ameMaker-Studio

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have lost your GameMaker 7.0 or 8.0 key - you will not be able to take advantage of this promotion as we can not recover license keys for this product.
Issues when purchasing the promotion:

There are several reason why your key may not work:
If your license key does not work or creates an 'invalid license key' error, first of all, please double check your key and try again. If this still does not work, it may be that your license key has not been added to the database yet - please bear with us while we add all the keys to the list; we are doing this manually and hope to have it complete shortly.
Any purchase made on or after 01/08/2013 will not be eligible for the promotion.
If you tried to upgrade your 8.1 license and got a subtotal of $25, please try again now, as this issue is now fixed.
This promotions is only available from our store page and can not be used to upgrade on any other platform. This upgrade will give you a Stand Alone license and a Steam license - please wait 72 hours for the Steam license to be generate after purchase.

#26 gmdud

gmdud

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

Yeah I contact yoyogames aswell, They replied the same exact thing

"

Hi there,

Unfortunately we can not recover any GameMaker 7.0 or 8.0 licenses as these were supported by a completely separate company (Softwrap) who distribute and handle the licenses.
We do not have access to licensing information or account details. Unfortunately I will not be able to help with this.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Kind Regards,
James Foreman
YoYo Games Customer Support Technician"

I never asked to recover my license, I have my license. I asked why the their upgrade system will not detect my license..

Edited by gmdud, 01 August 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#27 PhGrSt

PhGrSt

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

The FAQ states that they are adding in licenses manually, which when combined with the statement that they can't access the license info, makes me think that the license keys are just being dumped over and will then be paired up with the information that the buyer enters?

When I contact SoftWrap, they just give me a purchase reference and not a license.

I don't even know if this reference is the license that YYG is looking for or what...

#28 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 9298 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

Glad to finally hear some news! It's good 8.1 users are in fact able to take advantage of this. It seems my key hasn't been added to the database yet, hopefully it's added soon enough. I can't wait to get my hands on a proper Studio experience and see what it's all about.

#29 deathzero021

deathzero021

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 761 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

It won't take my 8.1 license at all. Just says "Invalid license". Last time i tried to upgrade it did the same thing. Never worked for me.

Edit: now it's saying "has already been used". wtf?

Edit2: did you guys see this:

Any purchase made on or after 01/08/2013 will not be eligible for the promotion.
haha what? i don't know if that's my problem, i can't remember the specific date i bought 8.1 but this makes no sense and again is probably screwing a lot of people over. I'm just going to assume that this is why it won't work for me.

Edited by deathzero021, 01 August 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#30 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 2833 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

Still doesn't work for me.

I get either the 'invalid key' message or the 'already been used' message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users