#1 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

jam11_logo.png

This is my entry for the GMC Jam #11. Roll around, grow flowers, solve puzzles, and fall into the water, if you want.

Screenshots

jam11_s5.png

jam11_s6.png

Direct Download

Sandbox Mirror

Edited by Venomous, 29 July 2013 - 11:52 PM.

#2 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

i have some graphical issues

qon.png

well, you win on graphics. i like the screen shots. how did you make those shadows?

i didn't really have a ton of fun playing this. go all over the place and touch squares was just too easy i think. but then, other aspects like these switches above were a pain, they should've been layed out in a line so it was easy to know which switch controlled what gate. i think the level design could have been better overall.

it would have been really nice to move the camera around, just so i could see squares that i missed or what happens when a switch was touched.

anyways, that's all i got to whine about. everything else was great. and good job for making a 3d game that actually looks decent.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#3 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'm not getting those black models on any of the computers that I tested on. It looks like anything drawn with lighting enabled appears solid black. I hope this issue won't occur for others. A driver issue perhaps? For the shadows I used Blender. The shadows are baked onto a separate lightmap texture.

#4 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

I see the same black objects as in slayer's screenshot. But GM d3d lights works fine in my own 3D games -- so I'm not sure why there should be a problem with this one. Perhaps the difference is that I typically enable lights ON for everything, and then selectively turn them OFF for one or two objects. But I'm not really sure why that would make a difference.

Fortunately, it doesn't really harm the game. It's disappointing not to see the ball texture for example, but the game is still very playable without it. The rest of the objects and the environment look very good.

The gameplay is good too. The puzzles are nicely constructed, and the controls are good. You have a good sequence of puzzles with increasing difficulty, so the level design is well thought out.

The game feels very complete. There's a good intro menu, with player-selectable options. Everything seems to work as intended. You managed to work in the monster theme (barely :P ), and the game in certainly non-violent. So this is a solid Jam entry, despite the unfortunate troubles with lighting. Well done. +1

#5 Xor

Xor

@XorDev

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

Fun game. Keep up the good work. :)

I'm on Twitter as of March 2016 (@XorDev).

#6 Xyzrr

Xyzrr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'm very impressed by the 3D physics and graphics! I had no idea such realism was even possible in GM. The water looks very nice as well.

I can't say the same for the gameplay though. At first, it seems like the flowers are the main concept of the game, but afterwards they appear to just be irrelevant things that waste your time. Your real goal is to reach the flag, but apparently you have to roll over a bunch of dirt blocks for no reason first. I know the flowers are there to make the game more original and help the no violence theme, but the execution could have been much better.

Still, it's an extremely impressive game that demonstrates how GM's d3d isn't entirely limited. I can't believe this was made in just 3 days!

#7 Nafees

Nafees

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

love it