Photo

[Gmc Jam #11] Destitute (Html5 Available)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

Destitute

Description: "I never had a body. I never had a soul. I never had... anything. I was born a spirit, to be lost in the darkness, forever. I can't do anything, so what's my purpose? I can't even kill myself..."
Play as a born spirit and duplicate yourself to advance through split pathways. The game comes with 21 levels.

Download: https://app.box.com/...ntbhcvivac1w4yk

HTML5 (WebGL): http://gamejolt.com/...estitute/16494/

Edited by 11clock, 06 August 2013 - 04:49 PM.

qNDVrhl.png

#2 Hiznopellagio

Hiznopellagio

Carpe Noctem

• GMC Member
  • 860 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

Very nice game 11clock! +1!

The gameplay in this game were fantastic. The player(s) slide incredibly smooth, and I love it. The puzzles itself were pretty well-designed, kudos to you. It's not hurting my brain, unlike other puzzle games. Though at some point, the game become a bit frustating. Being teleported back to your spawn position repeatedly may be irksome. But every game has it's flaws, and that's the only one this game has, I think.

The graphic were simple, some pixelated grayscale ghost(s). But it really describe the game's story. I'm not sure whether ghosts is a monsters or not, but with duplicating-self ability, I think that counts. Oh, and you implement the lighthing effect nicely too.

The music were very soothing, fits this game pretty good, that adds a point for this game.

I've got in level 11 when writing this review, and I'm definetly going to keep playing this game. Good job :thumbsup: .

xgzQT2A.png

#3 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the review! The game starts to get more complex after level 11, when you get the ability to duplicate twice. There isn't a save feature in this game, but you can always use the level skip cheat to get back to the level you were on.

qNDVrhl.png

#4 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

What an interesting puzzle game! This particular puzzle mechanic seems entirely original (at least, I haven't seen it used before). It's very clever and it's executed well -- especially the level design and the degree-of-difficulty. I like how you introduce the puzzles with a short instruction and/or hint about solving it. Perfect.

The graphics are bone simple, which seems ideal for this game. That's not to say more complex graphics wouldn't work too. But your choice here is good. Same for the music. Your combination of black-white silhouette graphics, lighting effects, and faintly eerie music compliment each other nicely.

I can't say this uses the "Monster" theme in a particularly imaginative way, but that's OK. It still satisfies the theme and the handicap. Besides, I think your game will be judged mostly on its innovative gameplay. And it deserves to score quite highly for that. Very nice job overall. :thumbsup: +1

#5 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the review!

The game was inspired by a newb game I played a long time ago. The game had the idea of moving several characters at the same time. Unfortunately, due to the fact that it was a newb game (resource graphics and all), the concept was executed very poorly. Most of the puzzles were easily beaten by simply grouping all of the characters in the same spot.

I decided to take this concept and expand on it, make it better. I added in my own twist, which is the duplication mechanic, and I had a large focus on the quality of the project. I complimented the game with a story about a ghost and a beast, and the game became Destitute. The 'born spirit' was actually the very first idea for the entire game.

Edited by 11clock, 02 August 2013 - 02:49 PM.

qNDVrhl.png

#6 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

The game is now available for HTML5 with a link to the page in the first post!

Topic: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=590083

Edited by 11clock, 06 August 2013 - 04:48 PM.

qNDVrhl.png

#7 Indecom4000

Indecom4000

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1636 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

this is quite cool. i really dig the atmosphere and its quite challenging at times.

LD-Logo-sml.png