Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Gmc Jam Logo Competition - Entries

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

Poll: GMC Logo Competition (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Which LOGO do you like the best?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which WINNER BANNER do you like best?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which BEST OF BANNER do you like best?

Vote

#1 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

This topic is for posting the final designs that you wish to submit to the GMC Jam Logo Competition. For the general rules and discussion, please see this topic here: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=585208

There are some strict size and style guidelines for each of the three categories in this competition, which are explained below and you should note that any logos or banners that do not follow the size/style rules will be removed from the competition.

Note that this topic is only for posting final designs, and it is NOT for discussion. Any off-topic posts will be removed, so if you are not finished your design and want to get some feedback before finalising your entry, please use the discussion topic linked above.

Also, the sizes given below are the OPTIMAL sizes that I would like, but your logo or banner can be smaller, or a different base shape, should you wish. For example, the Jam logo should be a maximum of 256x256, but that doesn't mean that you can't make it 128x256...

LOGO

This is the main GMC Jam promotional logo, which will be used in all Jam topics, and will also be used as a banner/badge for the signatures of community members.

• SIZE: 256x256 for the Main Logo, 150x150px for the signature badge
  • OPTIONAL SIZE: Additional banners for signatures can also be made, as long as they are no more than 150px tall, and 300px wide. For example 32x128px would be a nice size.
  • COLOUR: That's up to you, but using the YoYo Green somewhere would be preferable.
  • TEXT: The logo MUST have "GMC Jam" in it and have enough space to add the Jam number (using the format "#n", for example "#14") as well as the date that it starts on. You can submit an image with mock text to show how this will look, but if you win then I will need the final logo to be blank. If you use a special font, it should be FREE for use, and I will need it separately should you win.
  • FORMAT: For submission to the competition, a PNG file is fine, however I would prefer to have a PSD or AI file from the winner. If this is not possible, then PNG will do, but it must not have any text other than that which says "GMC Jam"

Winner Banners

The winners of the GMC Jam get a special signature banner that shows the position they got, the Jam they got it in, their name and the name of the game. So, any designs for these will need to take that into consideration. note that names and game titles can be large OR small so the banner should be able to adapt to accept any size.

• SIZE: 150x150px
  • COLOUR: The colours are up to you, but they should be bright and eye catching but not eye burning! You should also try and use the colour to show the position that the person got, with (for example) gold for 1st, silver for 2nd and bronze for 3rd. That is just an example and you can do something different, as long as it's obvious what position each entry has received.
  • TEXT: The banner must say "GMC Jam" and have space for the Jam number (using the format "#n", for example "#14") It should also have a space to add the name and the game of the winner (or runner up) and this space should be adaptable. You can submit an image with mock text to show how this will look, but if you win then I will need the final banner to be blank. If you use a special font, it should be FREE for use, and I will need it separately should you win.
  • FORMAT: For submission to the competition, a PNG file is fine, however I would prefer to have a PSD or AI file from the winner. If this is not possible, then PNG will do, but it must not have any text other than that which says "GMC Jam"

Best Of Banners

The winners of the GMC Jam get a special signature banner that shows the position they got, the Jam they got it in, their name and the name of the game. So, any designs for these will need to take that into consideration. note that names and game titles can be large OR small so the banner should be able to adapt to accept any size.

• SIZE: 100x100px
  • COLOUR: The colours are up to you, but they should be bright and eye catching but not eye burning! You should also try to make each banner use a different colour so that they can be easily distinguished, however I will also accept any banners that are all the same colour scheme but that have different forms/style. Basically, each one should be unique in some way, but they should all "fit" together.
  • TEXT: The banner must say "GMC Jam" and have space for the Jam number (using the format "#n", for example "#14"), as well as have the following text for each category: "Best Use of Theme", "Best Use Of Handicap", "Best Presentation" and "Best Devlog". Each one should also have a space to add the name of the winner and this space should be adaptable. You can submit an image with mock text to show how this will look, but if you win then I will need the final banner to be blank. If you use a special font, it should be FREE for use, and I will need it separately should you win.
  • FORMAT: For submission to the competition, a PNG file is fine, however I would prefer to have a PSD or AI file from the winner. If this is not possible, then PNG will do, but it must not have any text other than that which says "GMC Jam" and "Best Of [category]"

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#2 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Here are my winner banners!!!! Wooo....
WinnerBanners.png
Font needs fixing and the medals need changing...

Will edit the images when I'm finished.

Edited by FatalSleep, 25 June 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#3 Lune

Lune

hic quoque transibit

• GMC Member
  • 991 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

dsc8.png

eqtt.png

q48.png1nmk.pngyba.png

(I'm not making bests-of)

Edited by Lune, 25 June 2013 - 07:36 PM.

AbeBlyTwitch.png
AbeBlyTwitter.png

#4 Floofpaws

Floofpaws

Fox

• GMC Member
  • 2161 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Sorry, I forgot the font sizes I used on a lot of these.

Main logo: (I think the date font is Coder's Crux, Bold, 12pt)

vy9z82.png

Alternate logo: (I think the date font is Coder's Crux, Bold, 12pt)

2sbv2iw.png

Banner logo: (I think the date font is Coder's Crux, Bold, either 10pt/12pt)

s2t9oy.png

Winners: (Font is Coder's Crux, Bold, 18pt; left some room so the bars can be made larger if necessary)

2poo0so.png.flvp0g.png.2qdx5zs.png

Edited by darkwalker247, 26 June 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#5 Lune

Lune

hic quoque transibit

• GMC Member
  • 991 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Round II

ymwx.png

AbeBlyTwitch.png
AbeBlyTwitter.png

#6 Blake

Blake

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

Number and date are just random.

110xa84.png

Edited by Blake, 26 June 2013 - 04:37 AM.

cc_sig.png

#7 newkill

newkill

Silver Sword Games

• GMC Member
  • 1248 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

Alright this is my first design attempt. The text might seem too small, but it's because ImageShack shrinked the big image. At least you can still get a good idea of how it would look.

The first row is the Main logo used at the top of the Jam topics. The gears have a fruit jam texture :P Each Jam uses a different color that represent the season when it happens. If Nocturne prefers only using the YoYo Green color, the Spring one would be used for all seasons. The second row is the images used as signature badges. They have the date when the Jams occur instead of just the season. Third and fourth row are the Winners and Best Of images. The colors would always be the same no matter which season it is.

hq47.jpg

Currently experiencing with a second, more "fun and happier" design that I will post soon.

Edited by newkill, 03 July 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#8 GVmakesGames

GVmakesGames

rhythm huh?

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

I really like newkill's and darkwalker's works.

Time to upload my little beetle main logo! still a little WIP, I made it in half a hour :P

dx8.png

This is NOT my final work, just a simple thingy to start making something ;)

EDIT: OH no! I switched 2nd and third place colors D: fixin it right now...

Edited by GVmakesGames, 26 June 2013 - 05:06 PM.

just another indie game developer, this time agoraphobic.

Twitter | My Blog | Youtube | Steam | GameJolt | Itch.ioIndieDB | Ask.fm | reddit | MyAnimeList | osu! | WINGverse

GVmG.gif twitch_emoticon___wutface_by_centaurman_

image4.png?uid=6995159&m=0

#9 Centauri

Centauri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:44 AM

Had a quick go =] didn't realise how hard it would be to squeeze all that info into a 100x100 image...!

2cda.png

#10 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1776 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

Here is a complete set.  (Special thanks to newkill's "GearMaker" gear creation tool.)

GMC Jam Static Flow

GMC_Jam_logo_set.png

Oh, and the 300 x 150 banner

300x150.png

OTHER LOGOs  (256 x 256)

(Includes:  GMC Jam Comic, Yoyo Hex DaVinci Simplified, Yoyo Hex Neon Circuit Board)

Spoiler

Edited by HayManMarc, 02 July 2013 - 09:16 AM.

sigpic1_gmc_archive.png

sigpic2_gmc_archive.png

#11 Hiznopellagio

Hiznopellagio

Carpe Noctem

• GMC Member
  • 860 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Well, i think it's pretty obvious. Random teenager made a gravity about gmc jam #11. I also put YYG logo in it, because it looks bloody awesome :wink: .

banner6_zpsdecba795.png

winner_zps39906ae3.png winner2_zps22ccf6c7.png winner3_zps5fc25637.png

Oh, and for those who wonders what font am i using, it's called 'Most Wazted'.

Somehow, 3rd winner banner looks like a hobo :lol:

Edited by Hiznopellagio, 27 June 2013 - 10:30 AM.

xgzQT2A.png

#12 Greenblizzard

Greenblizzard

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 422 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

I'm submitting only to the Logo category so far:

Logo with mockup text, and blank:

208q.pngbyab.png

Signture badge, very much based on the logo, but with more focus on the date, less on the jam number:

teyx.pngbjkw.png

Signature banner:

szzy.png9au.png

The date font is Segoe Print. Jam number font is a png file with #, 1, 2, 3 and 4.

#13 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

Logo submission.
A shot at making something dynamic and nicely coloured while sticking to current stylistics.
Equally distinguishable in both light and dark themes.
Jam number font is a styled version of Pigeon. Everything else drawn as vectors in Inkscape.

250px:
gmc-jam-250px.png
150px:
gmc-jam-150px.png
Wide version:
gmc-jam-wide.png
Signature-sized:
gmc-jam-sig.png
If my posts contain broken links, try looking around my website. I gradually make blog posts for any examples I make.
_.png_.gif

#14 MikeDark_x

MikeDark_x

The Shadow Angel

• GMC Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:01 AM

well here goes my shot  B)

first the main logo  ↓

jamlog.png

the signature badge  ↓

jamsig.png

a signature banner  ↓

jamban.png

I know they aren't the best but well they took a lot of my time xD also I didn't used any font... I dunno if there is a problem with drawn letters/numbers, but if not if I win I'll draw the full set of letters that are going to be needed of course if I win and I suppose I am to far away just by looking at the other logos

And here I would put my cool signature... If I had one

#15 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:22 AM

My entry for the winner badges category!

With example text:

9pnzpt.png

Without text:

2w32sz8.png

I enjoyed making these. Came close to almost losing them when GM Studio crashed on me all of a sudden - lucky I had copied it onto clipboard moments before disaster! I used a jam jar to represent the trophy for fun and I think that way it represents the good humour and light heartedness of the Jam - that it doesn't have to be taken too seriously - it's there for everyone to participate in and is just meant to be enjoyed more than anything else. The GMC Seal Of Quality idea was inspired by Nintendo's Seal Of Quality  :)

2a7ubuv.jpg

#16 Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn

Valar Morghulis

• GMC Member
  • 703 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Here's mine submissions.

I won't make winner banners, I'm too lazy.
Logo:

gmcjamlogo.png

Banner:

Small:

gmcjambannersmall.png

Large:

gmcjambanner.png

Best of...:

Best use of handicap:

gmcjamhandicap.png

Best use of theme:

gmcjamtheme.png

Best presentation:

gmcjampresentation.png <-- This is my favourite!

Best devblog:

gmcjamdevblog.png

Edited by Bruin Games, 02 July 2013 - 03:04 PM.

oldGMCsig1.png oldGMCsig2.png oldGMCsig3.png oldGMCsig4.png oldGMCsig5.png

#17 Detective Pixel

Detective Pixel

GMC Dancer

• GMC Member
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

Last Minute Entry:

Logo:

256x256

GMC%20Jam%2011%20256x256.png

256x128

GMC%20Jam%2011%20256x128.png

150x75

GMC%20Jam%2011%20150x75.png

PIXEL_Archive.png

#18 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Hope it's not to late!

Logo:

2m5niag.png or f2j6rp.png

Winners Banners:

34istc7.pnghuhqoo.png2610kmo.png

Would have taken a bit more time but just found this and saw it ended today =/. Oh well.

Font used is Sansation and Sansation Light.

Edited by Jazza4Lyf, 02 July 2013 - 11:26 AM.

2nsxog9.png

Be on the lookout for JSME v3 in the future sometime... It is coming!

#19 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

Okay! The poll is up and running... please vote for your favourite design in each category, and if you want to leave a comment to say who you have voted for and why, then go ahead!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#20 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

My votes all go to Lune's second entry set. Stylistic, sexy, and also a full matching set which swayed my opinion. I preferred it a lot to his first entry as it was the first set were a tad overcrowded.

My second place would be Greenblizzard's entries, which look really nice, although the typography (all Windows pack in fonts) didn't do the art justice. Also lacked best-ofs (although the banners were good stuff), might want to remove him/her from the Best Of part of the poll!

And third for me would be Jazza4Lyf. Great typography, they look professional, but I wasn't a fan of the squareness and featurelessness. Even just making the background shape a little more irregular may have helped them out.

Good entries by all though, great stuff :)

Posted Image

#21 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

I'm going to talk about each banner.

FatalSleep: Nice and simple.  A bit hard to read the text though.

Snailman: You need to leave more room for the GMC Jam text so it's a bit more readable.  I don't really like the design, but it isn't bad.  Just my opinion.

Lune 1: For the logos, the text is also a bit hard to read (grey on grey?  They might be different shades but the luminosity difference needs to be greater)  As for the 1st 2nd 3rd, I get that it's a yoyo, but it just throws me off.  The string doesn't really look like it goes on the fingers.  Rather, wait.  It does look like it goes on the fingers.  It should go through, as if the fingers hold the string.

Darkwalker: I like the basic bit style.  It's simple, and the text has a shadow for readability.  Also to note that you used light on dark and dark on light.  My only complaint is that for the 1st 2nd 3rd, the creator name and game name background should be a few shades darker though.  In any case, this 1st 2nd 3rd got my vote.

Lune 2: Can't say that I'm a fan of the guy.  In any case, it isn't a bad design.  Mr. Man could use a bit of shading touch-up though, and maybe an outline to help the text stand out a bit against the pink.  The yellow text definitely needs a shadow or something to stand out against the white background.  The theme for this one is good.

Blake: It's interesting.  It catches the eye.  It'll have to be redone every year or so.  It's a rather good design.  It just didn't get my vote.

Newkill: Well...okay it all looks good.  You've added a slightly transparent, darker rectangle for readability on the smaller text.  The gears have nice textures.  You don't seem to stick with your gear theme for 1st 2nd 3rd for some reason.  What I like best is the "best of" gears.  Put them all together to make one whole gear.  A very clever design.  Those "best of" got my vote.

Centauri: I like the design.  However, the glare makes the text rather hard to read.  Furthermore, you used green on green making it even harder to read.  Perhaps make the background darker and lower the glare intensity.  I think that will make your logo look quite a bit better.

Hayman Marc: The logo and banner I like (with the black background).  The places I'm not bought on.  I think the gmc jam text should go in front of the gears instead of behind them.  The best of text is really hard to read.  The text is too small for things to be missing from them.

Hiznopellagio: The theme and design is okay.  It looks rather good (nicely polished).  That font is not one that does well when decreased.  I think you should use a different font because some of the text is simply unreadable.

Greenblizzard: The logo and design look really nice.  I like the banners and everything.  The only thing I'm not too fond of are the numbers.  They don't look as 'nice' as the rest of the design does.  With that aside, it looks good.

YAL: So it doesn't have the date.  However, I really like the design and font.  It looks nice, clean, and crisp.  It got my vote.

Mikedark: The shading needs to be improved.  I believe you used pillow (if I remember my shading terms correctly).  If you wanted to get something like that, you are better off using inside shading.  The text looks a bit sloppy, and you should really use a font.  I think the design is there though.

Cakefish: The text is really hard to read.  I like the design that you went for.  I really like the design.  You just really have to figure out how to do something else with that text.

Bruin: Your best of text is really hard to read.  You should allocate more space to your text.  Your logos and banners look like you switched from hand drawn to fonts.  You really should stick with one or the other.

Detective pixel: Ladies and gents, we are doing a cubic.  Actually it looks like a cubic going to a linear.  For this one, I don't think there's anything there.  There isn't much of a design to it.  In this case, I would say it's too simple.  It's a good start, but just that.  A start.  And that's a cool username.

Jazza: 27 July should use the same design as your other font.  White with black outline can be read on any color.  The logo is a bit basic.  Needs something else in there with it.  The winner banners look really good.  I like the design, and I can easily read everything.  It's nicely polished.  It just didn't get my vote (although it would have if I hadn't voted darkwalker).

Well that's it I think.  Those are my opinions on each of the banners, logos, and graphics.  I'm going through these a bit fast-paced, and I'm getting straight to the point.  I'm not trying to be mean on any of these, but offering ways that I think they could be improved.  Most of it was readability.  The reader should not have to try to read your text.  This means that it should be big enough, and it should use easy to read colors.  Always make sure your text isn't too transparent (Hayman's neon circuit gmc jam text.  The background should be more transparent to black.  It's a bit too distracting).  Always keep in mind what the background is so it isn't distracting away from the main part of the graphic.

#22 Detective Pixel

Detective Pixel

GMC Dancer

• GMC Member
  • 555 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

Detective pixel: Ladies and gents, we are doing a cubic.  Actually it looks like a cubic going to a linear.  For this one, I don't think there's anything there.  There isn't much of a design to it.  In this case, I would say it's too simple.  It's a good start, but just that.  A start.  And that's a cool username.

It is called:

"OhMyGoshTheDeadlineIsInAnHourAndIJustSawThisTopicOhWhatTheHeckIWillJustEnterThisAnywaysEvenIfItIsn'tGood" :P

Anyways, here is who I voted for and why.

Logo: Blake

I like the cartoonish feel to the logo and I liked how you put (almost) all the winners on it.

Winner Banners: FatalSleep

The new yoyogames logo was a great touch to the trophies.

Best Of Banners: Lune

The colors and the character with the cape had a way of attention grabbing to me.

Edited by Detective Pixel, 04 July 2013 - 04:02 PM.

PIXEL_Archive.png

#23 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

@Detective Pixel my name is FatalSleep(with L).

:thumbsup:

#24 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

I'm going to talk about each banner.

Cakefish: The text is really hard to read.  I like the design that you went for.  I really like the design.  You just really have to figure out how to do something else with that text.

Thanks! Yeah, it was hard to fit it into the 150 pixel limit. By the time I realised it was going to be a squeeze I'd already invested a lot of time into the design and didn't want to start from scratch again. I'm glad you liked the design :)

2a7ubuv.jpg

#25 Detective Pixel

Detective Pixel

GMC Dancer

• GMC Member
  • 555 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

@Detective Pixel my name is FatalSleep(with L).

:thumbsup:

Oops, sorry about that. Will change it.

PIXEL_Archive.png

#26 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1322 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

Not so satisfied about the result..but maybe you like it guys.

1big.pnggmcbadges.pngbetterdim.png

gmcbadges2.png

Edited by beeproductions, 06 July 2013 - 02:38 AM.

col-img1.pngcol-img4.png

bannersig.png

#27 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1776 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

Beeproductions... I am terribly sorry, but I accidentally down-repped your post by fat-fingering from my phone. Now I can't change it. I really like your logo. It's too bad you were late entering it. If theres a way to change my stupid down-rep mistake, I absolutely will. I'm very sorry.

Edited by HayManMarc, 06 July 2013 - 03:20 AM.

sigpic1_gmc_archive.png

sigpic2_gmc_archive.png

#28 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Not so satisfied about the result..but maybe you like it guys.

My niggle would be that the text isn't centred. Other than that it looks great. Shame you were a bit late to the party.

2a7ubuv.jpg

#29 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1322 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

Beeproductions... I am terribly sorry, but I accidentally down-repped your post by fat-fingering from my phone. Now I can't change it. I really like your logo. It's too bad you were late entering it. If theres a way to change my stupid down-rep mistake, I absolutely will. I'm very sorry.

No worries mate..

Yea I'm kinda late..but still wanted to give it a go and know what you  think.

Edited by beeproductions, 06 July 2013 - 02:52 PM.

col-img1.pngcol-img4.png

bannersig.png

#30 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Those are excellent Beeproductions! it's a shame that you came too late to the topic, as I feel certain those would have done very well in their categories....

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#31 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:15 AM

How long until a winner is announced?

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#32 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

How long until a winner is announced?

The end of time.

Or maybe the 9th.

2a7ubuv.jpg

#33 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

And we have some winners!

First, the new GMCJam Logo for the next year is by Greenblizzard:

208q.pngteyx.pngszzy.png

Love it and I think you got a well deserved win on that one as it's really nice...

Now, for the Winners Banners, AND the Best Of Banners, we have one winner... newkill with these gems:

hq47.jpg

Well done guys, and thanks VERY MUCH to everyone that entered. 

Now, i'm off on a weeks holiday, but when I get back I'll be in touch with both of you to get the original files and give you your prize... :)

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png