14 replies to this topic

#1 Danielzxzx

Danielzxzx

Pronounced "zed ex"

• GMC Member
  • 216 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

This is my first game that is not just me testing things. If you find any bugs or anything wrong, please let me know so that I can fix it.

Name: Tile Slide

Genre: Puzzle

Description: The goal of Tile Slide is to slide the tiles in each puzzle around so that each tile is in the correct place in the grid. You can only slide rows and columns of tiles, not individual tiles. Tiles will loop to the opposite side when they go off the grid. There are 2 difficulties to choose from. They determine how many limited places each tile can be in to complete the puzzle. Right now I only have the 4x4 grid size complete. I'm currently working on adding in the 6x6 and 8x8 grid sizes as well as a special mode for those sizes.

Controls: To slide a row or column of tiles, simply click and hold the left mouse button on the row or column you want to slide. Drag the mouse to slide the tiles and let go to stop sliding. The tiles will then snap to the grid.

Screenshots:
tileslide1.pngtileslide2.pngtileslide3.pngtileslide4.pngtileslide5.png

Download Links:
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=148609278
Direct Link: https://www.dropbox....lt-1.0.0.19.zip

I hope you enjoy the game!

Edited by Danielzxzx, 18 August 2013 - 06:01 PM.

hnugUIi.png

#2 CrashingThunder

CrashingThunder

Procrastinator

• GMC Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

Nicely polished! Everything feels and looks right. As a completely unrelated side note, I apparently suck at this game. Hard. LOL.

All this game really needs to feel complete are some sound effects for clicking and releasing the tiles, and possibly background music. The reason I say possibly is because it's just a puzzle game, and it might be too much. But the sound effects -- DEFINITELY NEEDED.

If you could, please take the time to check out my WIP game as well? http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=582854&hl=

Starfox TDS! http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=582854&hl=

bannersig.png
My forum game: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=583862 (WAR! - Creative graphics-based forum game)

#3 KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ

GMC noob

• GMC Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:01 AM

Really love the game so far it would make a nice mobile game if you ever have the capabilities. I think beginner though or maybe add an even easier mode maybe called dummy so you can get infinite tries, or maybe go negative. I like this very much even though I stuck at it, goodjob! Was wondering if you were successfully able to complete a expert mode to make sure it works, I love to see a video of it :whistling: !

#4 Danielzxzx

Danielzxzx

Pronounced "zed ex"

• GMC Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Nicely polished! Everything feels and looks right. As a completely unrelated side note, I apparently suck at this game. Hard. LOL.

All this game really needs to feel complete are some sound effects for clicking and releasing the tiles, and possibly background music. The reason I say possibly is because it's just a puzzle game, and it might be too much. But the sound effects -- DEFINITELY NEEDED.

If you could, please take the time to check out my WIP game as well? http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=582854&hl=

Thanks for the suggestion. I was planning on getting sound effects for the tiles but I'm not sure where to get these sound effects. Do you know any place where I could get them? I will definitely take a look at your game.

Really love the game so far it would make a nice mobile game if you ever have the capabilities. I think beginner though or maybe add an even easier mode maybe called dummy so you can get infinite tries, or maybe go negative. I like this very much even though I stuck at it, goodjob! Was wondering if you were successfully able to complete a expert mode to make sure it works, I love to see a video of it :whistling: !

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean by infinite tries? The number of moves you can make? There is no limit to that. I was able to complete expert mode a couple of times during testing but most of testing I was just playing beginner so I don't have a lot of practice in expert. I'm not sure if all combinations are possible in expert but I sure hope so. Maybe someone will have the answer to that.

Edited by Danielzxzx, 05 June 2013 - 10:47 PM.

hnugUIi.png

#5 deathzero021

deathzero021

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

wow this is pretty great for a 1st game. it was interesting and quite fun, even though it was a bit challenging to me. i like puzzles games though so my opinion might be a little biased. this good job on this.

suggestions: would be nice to have some demonstration pictures in the How To Play menu. Sounds and music also help the experience.

#6 Danielzxzx

Danielzxzx

Pronounced "zed ex"

• GMC Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:20 AM

wow this is pretty great for a 1st game. it was interesting and quite fun, even though it was a bit challenging to me. i like puzzles games though so my opinion might be a little biased. this good job on this.

suggestions: would be nice to have some demonstration pictures in the How To Play menu. Sounds and music also help the experience.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll add pictures in the next update. Do you know a place where I could get good sounds for clicking and letting go of the tiles?

hnugUIi.png

#7 CrashingThunder

CrashingThunder

Procrastinator

• GMC Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:33 AM

I search this place sometimes for sounds:

http://www.findsound...SAPI/search.dll

Starfox TDS! http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=582854&hl=

bannersig.png
My forum game: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=583862 (WAR! - Creative graphics-based forum game)

#8 Danielzxzx

Danielzxzx

Pronounced "zed ex"

• GMC Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:10 AM

I'll take a look at that site and see if I can find any good sounds for the game.

hnugUIi.png

#9 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

This is a very nice puzzle game. And like others have said, it's well suited for mobile platforms, or any touch screen environment. The suggestion about adding sounds is a good one too. That should add to the experience.

The controls work as advertised -- but they require a little finesse so you don't accidentally nudge the row/column in the wrong direction as you start to move. Players need to be careful, but they'll get used to that.

The puzzles themselves won't be easy for everyone -- even in the Beginner Mode. They're a lot like a 2D version of Rubik's Cube, and many people never really grasp that. So this game may not have widespread appeal for that reason.

Also, the instructions could be a bit more clear. Showing an example picture of a solved puzzle for each mode would be a helpful way to do this.

But overall this is a well-made game. It's challenging but fun to play. Nice job. :thumbsup: +1

#10 Danielzxzx

Danielzxzx

Pronounced "zed ex"

• GMC Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

Tile Slide has updated.

- The color guide will only show on difficulties that use it.
- The How to Play section now has examples of a completed puzzle for each difficulty.
- There are now 2 sound effects for clicking and letting go of the tiles.

The Steam workshop is being weird. I clicked update but it never updated the game. Until I can figure out what is going on, the Steam workshop version will not have the updates listed above.

The zip has a strange new file I never saw before. It is, "Tile Slide.yydebug". Does anyone know what this new file is and why it is included in the zip?

EDIT: The Steam workshop version is now up to date.

Edited by Danielzxzx, 25 July 2013 - 04:41 AM.

hnugUIi.png

#11 Danielzxzx

Danielzxzx

Pronounced "zed ex"

• GMC Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

Tile Slide has updated again:

- New color guide that now surrounds the tiles and is easier to understand.
- Removed 2 difficulties that were too similar to other difficulties. The remaining difficulties got a new name.
- Updated the "How to Play" pages.

Edited by Danielzxzx, 28 July 2013 - 05:39 AM.

hnugUIi.png

#12 Danielzxzx

Danielzxzx

Pronounced "zed ex"

• GMC Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Tile Slide has updated again:

- New option to disable sound effects.
- New option to disable the color guide.

Edited by Danielzxzx, 30 July 2013 - 05:46 PM.

hnugUIi.png

#13 Coffee

Coffee

Light and Sweet

• GMC Member
  • 2351 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

It was nicely polished, everything was pretty smooth and the concept is pretty simple. Nice job, perhaps some soft ambiance music? 7.5/10 

vmh.png Come Play Hungry Hungry Frogs!

#14 capatise

capatise

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

Great game. It is small but addictive. I found the game pretty challenging, but i'm going to keep practicing. It is nice that there is multiple difficulties. I  think you should make this a game for the ios device. i give it a 8/10.  

#15 Danielzxzx

Danielzxzx

Pronounced "zed ex"

• GMC Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

This is strange. I went to test some resolution thing using Tile Slide and had to went to enable the option to allow switching to full screen. However now the sound in the game is messed up. I disabled the allow switching to full screen if that was somehow causing the issue and I still have the sound issue. The version I released here works fine so it has to be something related to GameMaker updating.

Does anyone know what this issue is and how I can fix it? If you want to me to upload a version with where the sound is messed up let me know.
hnugUIi.png