Photo

Game Maker 8.1 Vs Studio Standard: What'S Better?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mordrak

Mordrak

GMC Member

• 19 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

I'm sorry if this isn't the proper subforum for this, but I couldn't find a forum that fit quite what I was asking.

What's in Game Maker Studio: Standard that's not in Game Maker 8.1? Or perhaps even in 8.1 that's not in Studio Standard since it was before the current stratification of the software?  Basically I'm wondering if it's worth it to get Studio Standard, or if there isn't new stuff or generally improved enough if I already have a licensed copy of 8.1.

I missed out on the previous sales and was hoping for another one to get professional, but I guess there won't be another one until the Steam Summer sale if at all.

Thanks for your help/advice and again I apologize if this is the wrong subforum.

Edited by Mordrak, 15 May 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#2 Magnusbon

Magnusbon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 137 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

8.0 is actually best IMO 8.1 takes more memory and changes things you're used to otherwise, i'd say go with studio.

#3 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2076 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Trying to decide this is like trying to decide between GM 7 and 8.  Studio is the successor, Studio is (without the name) GameMaker 9. There will always be the silly diehards that still use GameMaker 5, but Studio is an improvement in almost every way. 

- It's way faster using the new C++ Runner on Windows (even better soon with LLVM) (vs. the Delphi runner in 8.1- )

- It's multiplatform with a click of a button. Windows, HTML5, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Windows 8 RT, and some others. (vs. being Windows only in 8.1-)

- Box2d physics system is built in for easy to make physics based games (vs. using an external dll like GMPhysics in some older versions)

- New networking functions (vs. mplay)

- Overhauled Sound System (vs. the old one in 8.1-)

- Shader support (very soon, vs. no graphical pipeline access in 8.1-)

- Steam Workshop compatible

- Actually being updated with new things and fixes (vs. being an older version that's unsupported like 8.1-)

- Gamepad support (vs. dll use in 8.1-)

- Ads, analytics, in-app purchases (vs. none)

- Overhauled Room Editor 

- Modular code windows (vs. one open at a time in 8.1-)

- Brand new debugger already (with things like breakpoints soon)

- Source Control (svn, vs. none)

- Probably more stuff I forget right now

So, yeah. I'd get Studio.

Edited by chrscool8, 15 May 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#4 Mordrak

Mordrak

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

That is helpful; thank you. I know that some of the export options require Professional + the correct modules, but otherwise do the other relevant features you list (Box2D, Networking, Shader, Debugger, Source Control, etc) come in Standard?

The comparison chart doesn't go into that much detail, although it does mention the analytics (and svn?) are Professional only. I'm not too worried about those, but it's also why I was comparing the Standard edition specifically rather than Studio suite. Thanks again!

Edited by Mordrak, 15 May 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#5 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2076 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

think only the Source Control (Team Features) is left out of Standard. The rest is part of it (minus of course all the platforms). I mean, I'm pretty sure those other things are part of the Free version, even. (Only the limitation is the number of resources you can use.)

#6 TheouAegis

TheouAegis

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 9282 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

Lack of room transitions was the breaking point for me. I'm considering getting 8.1, but there are too many issues with Studio for me to even consider it. Ads are a feature I could do without and gee, so now we're giving crappy games revenue? Nice. :blush: There are a couple features in Studio that are enticing (multi-platform coding is one) but tsome of those same features cripple the program too much for me. I don't care about breakpoint debugging and most users of the program wouldn't even know how to use it or even bother with it. Hell, most people on this forum (Q&A) ask stupid questions like "What does this error mean?" which itself isn't stupid because of the novice programmer but because GM doesn't teach people how to debug. Some people on these forums don't even know there's a debug feature! If they can reinstate the features they removed that are actually useful to me and only cripple them on a platform-by-platform basis, then I might reconsider. I do really like the idea of being able to scale objects in the room editor, but I've moved beyond that style of coding now anyway, so meh.

#7 Mordrak

Mordrak

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Lack of room transitions was the breaking point for me. I'm considering getting 8.1, but there are too many issues with Studio for me to even consider it. Ads are a feature I could do without and gee, so now we're giving crappy games revenue? Nice. :blush: There are a couple features in Studio that are enticing (multi-platform coding is one) but tsome of those same features cripple the program too much for me. I don't care about breakpoint debugging and most users of the program wouldn't even know how to use it or even bother with it. Hell, most people on this forum (Q&A) ask stupid questions like "What does this error mean?" which itself isn't stupid because of the novice programmer but because GM doesn't teach people how to debug. Some people on these forums don't even know there's a debug feature! If they can reinstate the features they removed that are actually useful to me and only cripple them on a platform-by-platform basis, then I might reconsider. I do really like the idea of being able to scale objects in the room editor, but I've moved beyond that style of coding now anyway, so meh.

Oh, so if I'm reading this right, some features are missing? Room transitions for one? The project I was working on (and going to update to Studio: Standard) makes extensive use of the data structure functions (ds_grid, ds_stack, etc) in 8.1 and the path finding functions (A*) in 8.1 to generate random maps. 

I guess I'll do some more digging, but the list of obsolete functions I found didn't seem to indicate in changes in those.

Thanks again, everyone has been very helpful.

Edited by Mordrak, 15 May 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#8 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2076 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

Those things you mentioned are all fine. It's only really things that deal with graphics and waiting since other devices don't like that. Things like manual screen_redraw()s and _refresh()es, and similarly the transitions. Transitions are pretty easy to remake, though, so I don't consider it a loss, particularly.

If you're concerned, just try out the Studio free version. Unlike previous versions, Studio doesn't block half of the functions, it just limits you to like 20 sprites, 10 objects, etc.

Edited by chrscool8, 15 May 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#9 TheouAegis

TheouAegis

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 9282 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=537628

#10 dzil123

dzil123

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:48 AM

Apparently, 8.1 and under will not receive any updates anymore.

#11 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Moo

• GMC Member
  • 8998 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

Apparently, 8.1 and under will not receive any updates anymore.

Be careful of the date of the topics you bump. Welcome to the forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users