Category: Sandbox-Adventure
File Size: Under 5MB
GM Version: GM Studio
Vista Compatible: yes
Changes Screen Resolution: yes

Download and play at

logo-small-3.png   

34192.jpg34191.jpg

Video:

Part 1 Starting A New Game(outdated)

Part 2 Mining & Inventory(outdated)

Part 3 Crafting(outdated)

Suggested articles:

5 Secret Block You Didn't Know were in PlanetScape (and how to get them)

PlanetScape is a 2D top-down sandbox adventure game, focusing on building, action, and exploration.  You as the player take control of an android, built for an unknown purpose, who has crash landed on a strange and magnificent world.   In order to leave, the player will need to repair his ship by mining for minerals, and then use them to construct replacement modules.   As you explore the surface, and the many layers below, you will uncover the dark secrets of this mysterious land, and the spaceman will have to fight increasingly more daunting demons and monsters, in order to unlock the key to his escape.

The world of PlanetScape is a procedurally generated world, meaning every new game will have a completely unique world for you to explore.  During the game, you will explore large, beautiful locations, from the exotic tropical surface, to the fiery hellish depths below.  You will also be able to create and upgrade several amazing bionic tools and gadgets that will help you progress through the game, and build large and complex structures in order to defend yourself from attack and explore further. 

PlanetScape will keep you exploring, building, and fighting for hours, but you can save your game at anytime in one of 3 save files, picking up where you last left off whenever you wish. PlanetScape is currently only being developed for Windows.  PlanetScape has a purposefully retro visual style which is very easy to run on most current computers running Windows. 

This project still has a lot of work left to do before completion, but before I can move further, I need some helpful feedback from my friends on the GMC.  Thank you for taking the time to look at this WIP and I hope you give this game a try.

NOTE:  As of v0.1.4 You can now earn Game Jolt achievements while logged on to your Game Jolt account in-game.  You can still earn in-game achievements without logging in to game Jolt, but it will not be recorded on gamejolt.com

NOTE:  The game is still missing music.  I am looking for a composer for this title, as well some help perhaps with some sprites and sounds. look for links to more information on that here as it becomes available

NOTE:  To take a screenshot of the game you can press <P>  at any point after your world has been loaded.  These screenshots are saved in your %localappdata%/PlanetScape folder.  Please take a few screenshots of your favorite moment or best creation, and post it here along with feedback if you do decide to comment.  Thanks again!

Screenshots:
-----------------------
34189.jpg

more Screenshots:

Spoiler

UPDATE 0.1.6 BETA(latest update)

----------------------------

Spoiler

UPDATE 0.1.5

-----------------------

Spoiler

UPDATE 0.1.4
---------------------------

Spoiler

UPDATE 0.1.3.5

Spoiler

UPDATE 0.1.3

Spoiler

UPDATE 0.1.2.3
Spoiler

UPDATE 0.1.2
Spoiler

Version 1.1.5  
-----------------------------
Spoiler

Version 1.1 
Spoiler

Upcoming features:
Spoiler

KNOWN BUGS:
Spoiler

Edited by Osiris, 22 November 2013 - 08:00 PM.

Current Project:   acujA7dP.png

A 2D Sandbox Adventure, currently in development.  Check out the WIP here.

#2 fantastichumore

fantastichumore

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 128 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

I must say the gameplay is very unsmooth.. Controlling your player can be really annoying after a time. The inventory or workbench controls are also really unsmooth...

You sometime get stuck in walls..

Over all I think it's good! it kept me playing! but It is really not ready for BETA stage even not alpha.

I'll check in out in the future!

Edited by fantastichumore, 16 May 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#3 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

I must say the gameplay is very unsmooth.. Controlling your player can be really annoying after a time. The inventory or workbench controls are also really unsmooth...

You sometime get stuck in walls..

Over all I think it's good! it kept me playing! but It is really not ready for BETA stage even not alpha.

I'll check in out in the future!

What made the gameplay unsmooth?

In controlling the player, was the controller response not quick enough, or did you feel you moved too slowly?

The inventory and workbench need to be reworked, what about those menus became frustrating?

Where did you get stuck in walls?

Thank you for trying out my game.  I have to disagree with you though, I believe this game is ready for testing, how else can I get feedback to make it better as the process continues?

I appreciate the feedback!

#4 Vulhar

Vulhar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hmm, i thought I already commented on this game but it looks like it didn't go through.

Anyways

I agree that it's a little "unsmooth" in the sense that the game lags quite a bit, probs because of all the stuff going on in the room at once.

I do really like the idea of the game and the over concept seems pretty well planned out and implemented.

The menu is annoying because you can't switch between things very easily. One example is i'm drilling to get stuff when a monster appears. I go to pull out my sword but by the time i get to it with lags and layout I'm basically dead depending on the monster.  It's even worse if I'm building say a light which is way on the other end of the menu. I'd say make the tools and the stuff you can build in two different menus and be able to switch between building and using a tool so i can have my sword ready while i'm exploring around with my lamp. or something like that.

even though it's still in testing, give us something to find, some hint of a story to keep it interesting. I don't know if you're going to have each level have some key to the mystery or what, but yeah, that'll make people more interested in A. testing your game, and B. coming back for more.

Over all I really like the game. It's a fun idea and I look forward to future updates. 

Edited by Vulhar, 16 May 2013 - 05:49 PM.

Check out my JRPG Lyeon Crusade

#5 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hmm, i thought I already commented on this game but it looks like it didn't go through.

Anyways

I agree that it's a little "unsmooth" in the sense that the game lags quite a bit, probs because of all the stuff going on in the room at once.

I do really like the idea of the game and the over concept seems pretty well planned out and implemented.

The menu is annoying because you can't switch between things very easily. One example is i'm drilling to get stuff when a monster appears. I go to pull out my sword but by the time i get to it with lags and layout I'm basically dead depending on the monster.  It's even worse if I'm building say a light which is way on the other end of the menu. I'd say make the tools and the stuff you can build in two different menus and be able to switch between building and using a tool so i can have my sword ready while i'm exploring around with my lamp. or something like that.

even though it's still in testing, give us something to find, some hint of a story to keep it interesting. I don't know if you're going to have each level have some key to the mystery or what, but yeah, that'll make people more interested in A. testing your game, and B. coming back for more.

Over all I really like the game. It's a fun idea and I look forward to future updates. 

Thank you! That was some very helpful feedback! In that sense, I can definitely see the lag making it unsmooth.  I'm working on reducing the lag and increasing the drawing speed in my next update.  The menu I can see needs some work (1 thing I forgot to mention here and in-game is that 1,2,3,& 4 are hotkeys to easily switch to your tools, but there is no way to quickly switch back to items) .  I believe in the next update, I am going to add sub-sections in the block forge, and create a way to easily swap to items you want t use in the inventory.

Fixing the pod will be the overall quest, with your goal being to make components found on each layer, and use them t fix the pod.  (a feature, sadly, I have not implemented yet.  This needs to be in the next update)

Thank you for the feedback! 

#6 Vulhar

Vulhar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

Ok, the hotkeys for the tools makes a huge difference. Thanks for letting us know. 

#7 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Ok, the hotkeys for the tools makes a huge difference. Thanks for letting us know. 

Yea, I should have mentioned those earlier.  But like I said, i'm working on a new system for swapping to any item, for the next update.   I have put the controls on the first post with the hotkeys.  

Another thing I should mention is that the P key takes screenshots (although they don't always turn out well, due to the way the world is drawn), if you wouldn't mind posting any cool screenshots you take, they would be most appreciated!

Edited by Osiris, 17 May 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#8 bob_clemency

bob_clemency

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Not bad. It obviously needs some work all around. One suggestion, though it was mentioned earlier, make the monsters worth something. Vulhar said something like drops, which would be cool, but also make it so you can level your char up or something. That way you can only use tools once you reach that level and also make it so you can get more health. maybe start off with only 3 hearts and then get another heart every couple levels or something like that. People want to get stronger as they go, even if it's just an artificial number that you call your level.

Any ideas when the next update'll be coming out?

#9 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

Not bad. It obviously needs some work all around. One suggestion, though it was mentioned earlier, make the monsters worth something. Vulhar said something like drops, which would be cool, but also make it so you can level your char up or something. That way you can only use tools once you reach that level and also make it so you can get more health. maybe start off with only 3 hearts and then get another heart every couple levels or something like that. People want to get stronger as they go, even if it's just an artificial number that you call your level.

Any ideas when the next update'll be coming out?

Thank you! those are very good notes.  I am working on those exact things in the next update.  You will have a few skills that will level up through gameplay (enemy killing is one) that will unlock higher level items.  I'm working on the update now , i'm hoping to get it out by tonight or tomorrow.

#10 Vulhar

Vulhar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

I got this error as soon as i got down to the third layer.
of Create Event
for object obj_enemy:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -1.hp_max(100227, 0)
 at gml_Object_obj_enemy_Create_0 (line -1) - <unknown source line>
############################################################################################

Also, what is the scyhte for, or is it not used yet?

other than that you did  a nice job fixing it up. much smoother and i like the hotkeys setup.

#11 Rossay

Rossay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

I actually disagree with previous comments. I don't think the movement is 'unsmooth', I think the hero moves just fine. However, I'm not sure I found the controls very intuitive. It was good that you included tutorial messages, but as soon as they were gone I instantly forgot the controls.

I think the inventory menu looks a bit odd and the way it's controlled doesn't feel quite natural.

I think you should take some time to try and present all the elements of your game in a coherent graphical style. At the moment they really don't match up and it's quite distracting when you're playing. There are sections which are borrowed/influenced by minecraft and others that look like a completely different RPG.

I think if you take the time and work on the graphics & other things you could have quite a charming little game. :)

#12 Vulhar

Vulhar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

I think graphics wise the terrain looks good (i.e. tiles, trees, rocks, etc), however the hero seems oddly plain considering his surroundings. Part of it is because you have cell shaded only the hero. I'd say ditch the cell shading on both your hero and your enemies and make him a little more interesting. The other thing that could be improved is your water and lava. it looks... i don't know, not like water or lava. make the lava bubble or something and make the water have little ripples.

#13 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hey everyone! wow it's been a month and a half since I last posted in this topic, but I wanted to let you all know that I have been working on this game this whole time.  I've taken in your suggestions and many, if not all of them have gone into shaping project_Everdream, which is now called PlanetScape.  The premise is the same as before, but you will immediately see a greater level of polish and thoughtfulness in the design.  Many weeks of non-stop work have gone into this, but it can no longer move any further until I get feedback from users! 

So please, if you previously played project_Everdream, I urge you to now try PlanetScape and see all the new changes and features.  If you haven't played yet, even better! I hope that it will be a rich and enjoyable experience, one that will become more refined as this process continues.

-Sean Dugan 'Osiris'

#14 turgon

turgon

VP Studios

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Hey everyone! wow it's been a month and a half since I last posted in this topic, but I wanted to let you all know that I have been working on this game this whole time.  I've taken in your suggestions and many, if not all of them have gone into shaping project_Everdream, which is now called PlanetScape.  The premise is the same as before, but you will immediately see a greater level of polish and thoughtfulness in the design.  Many weeks of non-stop work have gone into this, but it can no longer move any further until I get feedback from users! 

So please, if you previously played project_Everdream, I urge you to now try PlanetScape and see all the new changes and features.  If you haven't played yet, even better! I hope that it will be a rich and enjoyable experience, one that will become more refined as this process continues.

-Sean Dugan 'Osiris'

Keep up the good work Sean! Don't rely on comments from the user as motivation for making your game though! You will never be able to finish if that is your motivation; just a heads up ;)

#15 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

-Sean Dugan 'Osiris'

Keep up the good work Sean! Don't rely on comments from the user as motivation for making your game though! You will never be able to finish if that is your motivation; just a heads up ;)

Thanks Turgon, But I did not mean that I would stop developing this title completely, just that any feedback is vital for making the game's development better, and I would like everyone to know how important their voice is to me in shaping the future development of this title.

Thanks for the concern!

#16 Rossay

Rossay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

So, I've played your new version and I have to say I think you've done a really good job taking on board peoples' feedback. The improvement in the game is really noticeable.

I've made a short list of a few things I would suggest for improvement:

- I like the introduction a lot but I feel the Commander's dialogue seems a little unnatural and could be improved. The robot help system is fine though.

- The animation for rain is difficult to see.

- I'd suggest removing the minecraft-style hearts from the bottom-right of the screen. You should maybe re-design them so they look different and I'd suggest putting them at the top of the screen.

- The ghoul spawn rate seems a little high for beginners.

Good work :)

#17 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

So, I've played your new version and I have to say I think you've done a really good job taking on board peoples' feedback. The improvement in the game is really noticeable.

I've made a short list of a few things I would suggest for improvement:

- I like the introduction a lot but I feel the Commander's dialogue seems a little unnatural and could be improved. The robot help system is fine though.

- The animation for rain is difficult to see.

- I'd suggest removing the minecraft-style hearts from the bottom-right of the screen. You should maybe re-design them so they look different and I'd suggest putting them at the top of the screen.

- The ghoul spawn rate seems a little high for beginners.

Good work !

:)

Thanks for trying it again, Rossay!

All of your suggestions are great, I think I will change the hearts, they were a sprite placeholder originally that I decided to keep in, but now I'm thinking (because you're a robot) I will change them to batteries, and may move them to the top, though i'm not sure. 

The Admiral can be worked on, I wanted him to be a cold and mysterious figure, as his character will become more important later, but I suppose in the little dialogue I gave him that doesn't read.  I will work in this. The ghouls! The high spawn rate of the ghouls was originally intended to emphasize to the player that nighttime and being in the dark was dangerous, but I have to agree if you are not ready for them, they can be quite difficult to escape.  

Thanks for the suggestions again! May I ask you how far did you get in the game? What sort of experience did you have? and what was your favorite block to use?

Also, a note I may have forgotten to mention (that I will edit in now) is that you can take a screenshot by pressing <P>.  The screenshot is saved in your PlanetScape folder, most likely somewhere in %localappdata%.  If you play again, please post a screeny of any creations!

Thanks again Rossay!

#18 Vulhar

Vulhar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

hey, so I haven't finished playing through, but I just wanted to say it looks great. Keep up the good work. I managed to build the first to parts of the pod. I imagine more story is on the way. No idea if this would fit into what you are doing, but if there was some kind of abandoned town or something to be explored, that could be really interesting. Just to spice up your levels.

#19 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

Are you playing v0.1.2.3 or v0.1.3? v0.1.3 is the newest update, and its highly recommended you use that version over 1.2.3,  :)

'Abandoned' cities will definitely be a part of a future update and will become a larger part of the story.  Focusing on adding more to  the story for update 1.5!

Thanks for playing and giving feedback Vulhar, when you are finished could you post or PM me a screenshot of a moment in your game? I'd love to see something you constructed in the game.

Thanks again!

#20 Vulhar

Vulhar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

of  Step Event0
for object obj_player1:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -7.r2_text(100117, -1)
 at gml_Script_chestRewards_create (line -1) - <unknown source line>
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_chestRewards_create (line 0)
called from - gml_Script_open_chest (line -1) - <unknown source line>
called from - gml_Script_activate_blocks (line -1) - <unknown source line>
called from - gml_Object_obj_player1_Step_0 (line -1) - <unknown source line>

got this when i opened a chest on the third floor.

Other than that I love the update. I really like the random plants and what not. it really spices up the environment. The only thing I'd suggest is a build x option. It gets kind of annoying having to tap the space bar 100 times to make 100 tiles or lamps or whatever. lots of fun though. I look forward to future updates and future levels!

#21 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

Thanks Vulhar for catching that error.  It has been fixed and the new update out now fixes that problem.   As for the build x potion, I am working on something like that in one of the next updates.

#22 Vulhar

Vulhar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

of  Step Event0
for object obj_player1:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -1.grix(100138, -1)
 at gml_Script_tool_use_spade (line -1) - <unknown source line>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_tool_use_spade (line 0)
called from - gml_Script_player_use_tool (line -1) - <unknown source line>
called from - gml_Object_obj_player1_Step_0 (line -1) - <unknown source line>

here's another error for ya. :) I got this while shoveling on the second level.

On the other hand. I finished all of the repairs to the ship finally. I guess that's all there is to the game so far. Very fun game. I have a question though. What do the secret rocks do exactly?

edit: so I tried to recreate the problem and it came from when i tried to dig up on of the mushrooms.

Edited by Vulhar, 11 July 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#23 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:33 AM

Haha I was just about to post update 1.4, fixing a bunch of bugs, when I noticed your new one about the mushrooms!  Well luckily I was able to find it and change it, and that bug should now be fixed in this new update.

Yes, as you found out fixing the pod is as far as you can take the story, but adding to this is going to be a big part of the next update, 1.5, which will added more story, bosses, and a few new NPC characters.

To answer your question about the secret rocks Vulhar, when you find all the secret rocks in the game, they will lead you to a new tool that will allow you to move any block in the game.  But as of right now, all they do is give you an achievement for finding one.  The new tool will likely be in the game starting update 1.6.

But less about 1.5 and 1.6, lets talk 1.4! this update fixes many of the bugs mentioned earlier, as well as reworks the enemy AI, adds a 5th quickslot, and in-game achievements!

So if you have a Game Jolt Account it is worth going back and collecting those achievements.

#24 Vulhar

Vulhar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Oh thank goodness. I always feel like I need a fifth slot to do everything I want. Well, that solves that problem. I'll take a look at it. Keep up the good work. It's a fun game. Hopefully more people will give it a try!

#25 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

Thanks! Hey do you get any weird grid lines on your screen while playing? 1 person noticed grid lines on their screen in the video below, and I don't know if this is a common issue or not.

https://www.youtube....d&v=8SazyTPdYdM\

EDIT: you can see the error starting at 4:45

Edited by Osiris, 12 July 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#26 Vulhar

Vulhar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Nope. Haven't had that problem

#27 Jameycolon

Jameycolon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

I got an error on the 3rd floor (i think) when opening a chest. I played a long time without saving so when i got the error it made me want to rip my face off.

HLsiggy_zpsdc42b4ee.png

#28 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

Oh no! In 1.4? I thought I got all of those nasty lvl 3 chest  bugs! well i'll go back and take a look.  Thanks Jameycolon, if you are interested in a way of catching back up where you left off in your unsaved game, PM me and i'll tell you how.

#29 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

New Update Available, adds lots of new content! update 1.5!

#30 Vulhar

Vulhar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

I was so excited for the new update too. :)

of Create Event
for object obj_enemy:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -1.yy(100003, -1)
 at gml_Script_set_enemy_type (line -1) - <unknown source line>
stack frame is
gml_Script_set_enemy_type (line 0)
called from - gml_Object_obj_enemy_Create_0 (line -1) - <unknown source line>

#31 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hey sorry guys! Last night I posted the update without doing a proper bug check, and clearly I shouldn't have done that.  I have done a full sweep now, and another update is available (same link) that fixes all of the problems integrating 1.5  Please try it, thanks!

#32 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Here is a new article about secret blocks that you can find in PlanetScape.  Many new things have been added, and if you have a game Jolt account, there are 29 achievments you can unlock.  Although A game jolt account is not required to play.

EDIT: sorry about the double post, meant to make an edit.

Edited by Osiris, 19 July 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#33 Vulhar

Vulhar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:55 AM

Boss is fun, and it's cool to see where the story is going. The only thing was that it was super freaking impossible to find green ore on the first level with green in it. I mean, I had cleared away a quarter of the map before I finally got the fourth one. I don't know if I was just having terrible luck or if it is set to have a super low chance of showing up. Anyways, it's fun. keep up the good work. I look forward to the poison boss.

#34 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the continued feedback Vulhar! The mineral drop counts on sub-level 3 and 4 need to be balanced out a bit more.  That will be coming in the next update as well as a bunch of cool other stuff.  Hey also, I don't know if you have found very many secret blocks, but here is a few ways to get them: http://gamejolt.com/...-get-them/6008/ I'll addthis to the main post along with a few videos...

#35 hippyman

hippyman

Dirty Stinky Hippy

• GMC Member
  • 837 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

When you go all the way to the bottom of the map and start walking left or right the bottom of the map cuts off from the rest of the map and follows you until you go up again. Sorry for not being able to explain it very well. Just go to the bottom of the map and start walking left and right and you'll see what I'm talking about

badge.png?dl=0

HM Audio Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/hm-audio

#36 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

When you go all the way to the bottom of the map and start walking left or right the bottom of the map cuts off from the rest of the map and follows you until you go up again. Sorry for not being able to explain it very well. Just go to the bottom of the map and start walking left and right and you'll see what I'm talking about

I'm sorry I looked for this bug but could not find it.  Was this on the surface or underground? Please post a screenshot of the bug if you can. (press <P> to take a screenshot, it will be in your '%localappdata%/planetscape' folder)

#37 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

New update 1.06 coming soon, check out the features being added here:

What to Expect from Update 1.6

Also, here is a little more information about the overall development:

PlanetScape Development, A general Outline

Edited by Osiris, 25 July 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#38 bob_clemency

bob_clemency

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

Well, look a this. This game has come quite a long ways. I think the basic concept of the game is quiet interesting. I think the world just needs more fluff to it now. You have the mechanics, now you need the story. We have to fall in love with the character, or if your character is a robot without much personality, we have to have other characters to fall in love with. All in all it is all very smooth and it looks like you have a lot of really good plans coming up. Keep up the good work.

#39 Ian_Sean

Ian_Sean

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

Hi Osiris

I gave your game a short try and have some feedback for you:
I like the game Idea and have been thinking about a similar concept for some time now.
Here is what I think you should improve to make it stand out and get the attention it deserves:

Visuals:

People enjoy consistent art.
If you do a pixel art style game you need to keep your pixel size and opacity consistent on each screen.
For example if I drill a tree and then a small particle appears with about half the pixel size of the tree, it looks very amateur.
Some of your inventory items have a different resolution (pixel size) compared to other objects.
Even some of the Inventory boxes use different pixel sizes... All of this is very off putting.
I'm also not a fan of Opacity in fonts.

I know this is a lot of work but it will go a long way in getting players to play your game.
In our medium people usually do judge the contents by the cover, so making that cover extra polished and consistent will help a lot.

There are a lot of floor tiles in your game, there is a lot you can do to make the world look more natural and alive.
Check out this game here http://www.anodynegame.com/ It has a similar camera view and looks very pretty and consistent.
Take a look at his floor tiles and how much more inviting they look.

Another idea would be to give the tree's small animations of them swaying in the wind. This can be done by adding 2 extra frames...
just move parts of the tree a pixel to the right in one frame and a pixel to the left in another. This will juice things up a lot and make it look less sterile.

Gameplay:

Let's say I'm walking around on the map from west to east and want to go north. Why do I need to press up twice ? Why not make the turn and move instant ?
This would enhance movement a lot.
Another thing is... this is a PC game with a lot of inventory management. Why am I using the keyboard to move and not the mouse ?
Almost every game that uses this type of view (any strategy game, Don't Starve etc.) uses mouse movement.
I think it would broaden the appeal if you implemented mouse controls.

Other:

Apart from that you wrote "PROTICOL" instead of "PROTOCOL" several times in the intro sequence (POD SYSTEM AI PROTICOL).

TL,DR:

Keep art consistent.
Keep pixel size consistent.
I would implement mouse movement if possible.
If not possible make turns smoother by reducing extra key inputs.
Double check spelling.

This game is really cool and can benefit a lot if you put in extra work on the art or get external help.

Another thing I can suggest is. Try and get someone who has never played the game to play it while you watch.

Don't talk to them, just see how they react to your game. Make notes and try and fix the issues.

A lot of things that make sense to you, don't make sense to other people. Try and figure out how you can make it more accessible.

I hope this feedback helps and will improve your game!

This is a really cool project so keep up the good work!

Regards,

Ian

LogoBannerSmall.png

Alpha version available at http://www.cloaksandspells.com

#40 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hey Ian_Sean, thanks for the feedback! I defenitly took what you said about the graphics in PlanetScape, and have created a request for spriters to work on this project.  You can check out part of it here:

PlanetScape Sprite Request

#41 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:33 AM

New update 1.6.0 Beta Available! 

contains this plus much more:

• Performance Upgrade. I call 0.1.6 The 'Efficiency Update', because the main focus of this update is to increase the games overall performance.  This update will: 
    -Reduce game lag, keeping the game running at a stable 30 FPS.
    -Reduce performance errors (screen tears, pixel lines, surface/tile errors)
  • Directives Panel. Opening your skill panel will also open the directives panel.  Here you will find any new tasks given to you by an NPC.  They are broken up into 3 categories:
    -Primary Directives: These are your main quests, completing one of these directives is how you finish the game.
    -Secondary Directives: These are side quests that either further or enhance a Primary Directive.  (for example your first secondary directive is fixing the pod, so that you may find your first primary directive)
    -Personal Errands: These are tasks given to the player that do not have to do with completing a directive.  (such as discovering new technology, or trading with an NPC)

• Random Dungeons.  On every layer there will now be at least 1 random dungeon to explore.  Players will need to explore these dungeons and avoid traps in order to reach a random chest reward (greater rewards than other randon chests).
  • Other Changes:
    -Player sinks down in holes
    -Sound and video options will be saved to game file.
    -Minerals will be more balanced on all layers.
    -Lava and Acid flow 3x slower
    -trees, flowers, and grass grow 3x slower
    -Moving to the edges of the map no longer creates errors
    -minor interface changes

This version is not completely stable.  Please save often.  Play version 0.1.5 for a stabler version

#42 Boysano

Boysano

GMS Pro Member

• GMC Member
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

Will try out this game again later its bed time,

unfortunately i was playing new release and first time i opened food processor and presed Q for info i got fatal game crash error:

FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event0
for object obj_player1:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Index [0,19] out of range [1,3] - -1.foodprocItemInfo(100454,19)
at gml_Object_obj_player1_Step_0

#43 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

Will try out this game again later its bed time,

unfortunately i was playing new release and first time i opened food processor and presed Q for info i got fatal game crash error:

FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event0
for object obj_player1:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Index [0,19] out of range [1,3] - -1.foodprocItemInfo(100454,19)
at gml_Object_obj_player1_Step_0

Thanks this is looks like a big oversight on my part, I'll fix this in the new patch update this week.  Glad you gave it a try

#44 Toggy11

Toggy11

Stararia Coder

• GMC Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

-Glitch sometime occurs, causing the player to be offset with the grid.  Saving and reloading your file resolves this issue.

Easily fixed... Go to your player object and create step event in that select the action fix to a grid and select your grid. That means every frame you will be fixed to

a grid.

Also for collision use this code:

In object player make an event for collision to whatever you want then make a script action and put this in:

var dist,dir,xdir,ydir;
dist=point_distance(x,y,xprevious,yprevious);
dir=degtorad(point_direction(xprevious,yprevious,x,y));
xdir=cos(dir);
ydir=-sin(dir);
x=xprevious;
y=yprevious;
repeat dist{
if place_meeting(x+xdir,y,other.object_index)
hspeed=0; else
x+=xdir;
if place_meeting(x,y+ydir,other.object_index)
vspeed=0; else
y+=ydir;
}

Also it is very unprofessinal to have a 2d sandbox that doesn't render. Rendering reduces your lag ALOT.

If you don't know how to render read below:

Go to your player object. In the step event create a script action. In that type this:

// Render script

instance_deactivate_object(par_block);

instance_activate_region(view_xview[0], view_yview[0], view_wview[0], view_hview[0], true);

Replace par_block with the blocks in the game for example make a parent named par_block and for every object

parent it to that. Then try that script out.

Edited by Toggy11, 21 December 2013 - 01:04 PM.

pY6pBTZ.png

#45 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

-Glitch sometime occurs, causing the player to be offset with the grid.  Saving and reloading your file resolves this issue.

Easily fixed... Go to your player object and create step event in that select the action fix to a grid and select your grid. That means every frame you will be fixed to

a grid.

Also for collision use this code:

In object player make an event for collision to whatever you want then make a script action and put this in:

var dist,dir,xdir,ydir;
dist=point_distance(x,y,xprevious,yprevious);
dir=degtorad(point_direction(xprevious,yprevious,x,y));
xdir=cos(dir);
ydir=-sin(dir);
x=xprevious;
y=yprevious;
repeat dist{
if place_meeting(x+xdir,y,other.object_index)
hspeed=0; else
x+=xdir;
if place_meeting(x,y+ydir,other.object_index)
vspeed=0; else
y+=ydir;
}

Also it is very unprofessinal to have a 2d sandbox that doesn't render. Rendering reduces your lag ALOT.

If you don't know how to render read below:

Go to your player object. In the step event create a script action. In that type this:

// Render script

instance_deactivate_object(par_block);

instance_activate_region(view_xview[0], view_yview[0], view_wview[0], view_hview[0], true);

Replace par_block with the blocks in the game for example make a parent named par_block and for every object

parent it to that. Then try that script out.

The 2 things you mentioned: snapping to the grid, and rendering the area, these things are already a part of the game, you just may not have noticed them, or they still just don't work effectively enough.  The solutions you mentioned do not apply however, as the game area is not comprised of objects, but rather tiles placed according to a ds_grid (that many 'block' objects would REALLY slow the game down).The area outside of the view is not drawn, the lag you are experiencing is not from over-rendering at all, it's an issue with the volume of calculations the game has to take every so often to keep the world growing and changing (ex. grass/plants growing, determining shadow placement, water/lava/acid flowing, and time of day, just to name a few).  This is why the lag seems greater on the surface level, more things are going on there than in underground or void levels.  This is a known issue that has been improved a little since the last few updates, and will continue to be improved upon in future updates.  As for the grid alignment, the problem occurs when the game is not sure which grid space the player should be snapped to, and in that case, it does nothing, to prevent rubberbanding.  This needs to be reworked on my part.  

The 1.6 Beta update is known to have several bugs, and is not intended to be complete yet, for a more stable version try the 1.5 version also on Game Jolt.  I am looking for more feedback in terms of the features and gameplay involved in the game.  Bug reporting is appreciated, but only if it is included with feedback about the actual gameplay. 

Thanks for trying it out!

Edited by Osiris, 21 December 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#46 Toggy11

Toggy11

Stararia Coder

• GMC Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

Ah, okay I'm not sure I'm understanding you but... Could you see in code in a step event wether the player is no longer in a grid then return it to its previous x and y.

pY6pBTZ.png

#47 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

i'm sorry the way I described the gird snapping was very convoluted.  Basically, it needs to be reworked.  Yes, but when I have implemented that type of solution, rubberbanding occurs, where when the player does go off grid, as it does when walking from one space to another, it will snap back to the previous grid space.  What I really need to do is find the previous spot and the next spot, and determine if I am in the process of moving to that spot, and if so snap to that location if there is an issue with grid alignment.  I will fix this in the next update, it is  high priority.

Edited by Osiris, 21 December 2013 - 07:39 PM.