#1 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

kisa_title.png

K.I.S.A is an interactive fairytale about knights, kings, witches, princesses, and a girl who hears a voice.

A lowly girl named Kisa is accused of witchcraft and sentenced to burn at the stake. The night before her execution, a disembodied voice speaks to her and charges her with a quest: escape from her dungeon cell and traverse a treacherous fantasy land, to rescue a princess in terrible danger.

Many perilous obstacles stand between Kisa and The Princess. She will need to be equal parts swift, stealthy, steadfast, and shrewd to complete her quest. She'll have help in the form of The Voice, an enigmatic guide with plenty of advice - and it's always a good idea to listen to a disembodied voice that only you can hear, right?

K.I.S.A is currently in closed development. Releases for K.I.S.A are planned for Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can follow development on the Devlog, Twitter, IndieDB, and TIGSource.

Download

Alpha 6.4 || Windows 7/8 (59.6 MB) || Windows XP (59.2 MB)

Technical Details

K.I.S.A is built on the custom Puppeteer engine, which combines skeletal animation and physics to create a dynamic and responsive world. Because animations are based on models and angles instead of sprites, every action is fluid and the characters are as beautiful as the painted world that they inhabit.

Screenshots

kisa_2.jpg kisa_4.jpg kisa_6.jpg

Final Note
I aim to make this game as technically impressive and beautiful as possible. I'm proud of what we've created so far, and can't wait to see how much farther I can push both GM:Studio and myself. Your feedback is welcome; please let us know how we're doing.

Edited by Oracizan, 13 December 2014 - 07:02 AM.

#2 sp202

sp202

Wannabe Indie

• GMC Member
  • 384 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

This is really great! I loved the skeletal animation, I've tried creating skeletal animation myself and the implementation here is amazingly smooth. I liked the amount of freedom there is for movement and I managed to entertain the King but when I was accused of being a witch and apparently being taken to the dungeons, the game fades out and sends me to the main menu. Is this normal? I've tried the demo a few times and I got the same result.

I also tried using a controller and some of the controls seem to be reversed (up and down). I had to move the joystick to the top left and top right corners to roll and down to jump. Is that accidental or on purpose? All the other features worked really well as well such as the voice acting and the smaller details like the cloth and hair physics. By the way, I wouldn't mind knowing how you did the reflection in the mirror thing (this is an actual request :P).

Overall, this is a great start and I can't wait to see more from your team. :)

Posted Image

Windows||HTML5 Online||HTML5 Download

A physics-based puzzle game with magnets.

#3 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

Thank you for the kind words, sp202, and very much for the reply. It is normal for the game to fade out to the main menu at that point - that's where the tutorial and the alpha demo ends.

As far as the controller goes, can you tell me exactly what sort you're using? I'm trying to support XInput and DInput by using both sets of joystick functions, and I'd like to see which set is causing the problem.

The reflection in the mirror isn't too special: In the draw event of the vanity, I use d3d_set_translation() to offset the drawing a few pixels to the bottom and to the right. I then determine which characters are in front of the mirror, and then draw them with any details mirrored (If the character is holding a sword in their hand closest to the screen, I show it in their farther hand in the mirror). I draw some masking sprites with blend modes to prevent the reflection from being seen outside of the mirror, then draw the surface to the screen. Finally, I draw the vanity sprite over the surface, which includes a near-transparent gradient that slightly covers & colors the reflection.

#4 sp202

sp202

Wannabe Indie

• GMC Member
  • 384 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Oh, I see, I was hoping the demo would go for a bit longer, but I guess I'll just have to wait. :P I must also commend you on the large variety of options available, very useful. I'm using XInput (I think), it's a wired Xbox 360 controller, I also have a wireless one if you'd like me to try that as well.

Regarding the mirror, I'm not too familiar with the d3d functions or blend modes, do you think you could send me a snippet of code by PM or something as I think it would be pretty useful for an effect I'm trying to achieve.

Posted Image

#5 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

Whoa, this is nice! Here are my thoughts:

- The graphics are awesome and the animations are very smooth and natural; it's nearly impossible to tell where the transitions between animations are. I'm impressed.

- I find it strange that the bricks in the background have a lot of shading and are realistic, and there are shadows cast by the doors, yet the characters and foreground objects are flat and have minimal shading.

- The tutorial's cool. I like seeing it incorporated into the story.

- Kisa attacks really, really slowly. I hope she does better than that wimpy little punch and kick after she breaks out of the dungeon and goes on that quest.

- The characters are kind of large compared to the rest of the screen. It might be hard to react to what's coming because of how fast Kisa runs, but it depends on how you design the rest of the game.

- Judging from the physics, it looks like the game's going to be more focused on puzzles and combat rather than platforming.

This really does have a lot of potential. Hope you continue with it!

Edited by TheUltimate, 12 May 2013 - 06:16 PM.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#6 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• GMC:Member
  • 1437 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Very nice.

So sleek and beautiful looking, smooth animations. I really like the voice parts, too. It's not something you see every day with Game Maker games. Possibly one of the nicest looking games on YoYo yet.

#7 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

sp202: The code is pretty specific to this project, but I'll send you a PM with a more general version of this code.

TheUltimate: Thank you! The difference between the foreground and background is intentional: It helps the important parts of the game stand out more, and the flat shading is all but essential for the skeletal animation to behave properly. I think that gameplay lends itself to larger characters (more combat & puzzles than platforming, like you said), but I could look into the camera shift. It currently slides a little bit ahead of Kisa based on how quickly she's moving, and if it slid a little bit further maybe that would help show what is coming better?

I'm unsure yet of how quickly the attacks should move. I may speed up the attacks, and I may tie them to the selected difficulty; I haven't coded enough fights to decide yet.

AlexTM: Thank you. This will eventually be a commercial project, and we put a lot of work into the graphics, so "possibly one of the nicest looking games on YoYo yet" are encouraging words.

#8 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:07 AM

It really depends on how you design the rest of the game. The camera's fine for now; it scrolls, but still allows you to see behind you as well as in front. However, it seems like the small view size would feel constricting if you had to face several enemies at once, or had a complex puzzle with several points to go back and forth to. Since this is a (magical?) fairytale quest, I'm also expecting to face huge fantasy creatures while enjoying the scenery. Think you could fit that on the screen? :) A zoom-out feature for those epic moments would be awesome though (and I've done it before, it's not that hard to do).

I'd love to see Kisa progress from lowly jester with no fighting skills, to brave princess-saving adventurer, with different animations to match as the game goes on. You've already shown that you have the skill to animate it.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#9 sp202

sp202

Wannabe Indie

• GMC Member
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Sorry for the late reply Oracizan, I tried the wireless controller as well, no luck. Same as with the wired, up and down were reversed (press down to jump and top right or top left to roll).

Posted Image

#10 MishMash

MishMash

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1124 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Really awesome game! I love the smoothness of the animations, although i sometimes felt that the controls were unresponsive like it felt like even after a move had been finished, i couldn't do another move for a short while after, i guess its more realistic but it felt a little locked up or delayed in some respects.

Great game though!

VitalitySig18thMar.png

#11 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

TheUltimate: You might run into a few giant magical creatures or two.  ;) I could probably manage to zoom out with the camera, but I'm not sure if I want to yet. It will depend on how much of the screen ends up being important to see (aka how colossal these things are).

You'll definitely get to see Kisa grow from a lowly jester. What she grows into is up in the air...  :whistling:

sp202: Looks like I'm going to have to play around with the code and see if there's a variable that works for both my controllers and yours.  :ermm:

MishMash: Thanks for the reply! Yep, some moves you have to wait until the end of to move again, such as rolling. Were there any moves that felt "off" in particular to you?

Edited by Oracizan, 15 May 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#12 sQuiFGames

sQuiFGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

So far it's amazing.

Looking forward to see future outcome of this idea :)

#13 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Thanks, sQuiFGames. I'm not sure when we'll release another alpha demo, but I'll make a post about here when we do. I'll be trying to keep the thread updated with relevant development info as well.

Edited by Oracizan, 16 May 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#14 MishMash

MishMash

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1124 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

@Oracizan: No moves in particular, i have a tendancy to button mash in any game which requires combat xD! So i sometimes found that i would press an arrow key and the attack key to try and block but as i would press one of the keys before the previous move had finished and then the other afterwards, it then just performed a normal attack by the seems of it. It also seemed to take me forever to make the roll backwards work even though i was pressing the two keys that it told me to, it did eventually and if i had timed it better it would have worked, but when button mashing (yes terrible playstyle but still :P!) it sometimes felt like it didnt do the moves i wanted to.

But yh, really good game and im looking forward to the next update :P!

Edited by MishMash, 16 May 2013 - 07:55 PM.

VitalitySig18thMar.png

#15 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

Sidenote: I found the gamepad error a few weeks ago. The last GM:S update I did before publishing this alpha standardized the gamepad axes, and apparently the gamepad that I used for testing was one of the ones that had to be brought into line.

Main note: I've got a devlog going on Mutant Dream for this project, and I just made a new post. It's called Ladders in K.I.S.Aand you can read it there or below.

I couldn't come up with a punny title for this post, which says a lot about how mundane this topic probably is. But I think that if you delve deep enough into the mundane, you find that it actually becomes pretty interesting. That's my justification, anyway, but I think it's true.

Ladders are pretty common in 2D platform games because of how incredibly useful they are. By allowing a character to move vertically, ladders open up possibilities for level design in a way that no other element can. Jumping is limited in distance. Trampolines can extend this distance, but they don't belong in some environments. Teleporters are also rarely environment appropriate. Flying may open a level up too much, and not all characters have that ability. Stairs and floating platforms are just space consuming, knock-off versions of what you really need: Ladders.

Read more:

Spoiler

#16 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

Lighting in K.I.S.A
From the K.I.S.A DevLog

kisa_light_2.png
Kisa in moonlight and torchlight.

Spoiler

Edited by Oracizan, 28 June 2013 - 04:57 AM.

#17 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

The following post is from Elena, the artist behind K.I.S.A.

Skinning Bones

From the K.I.S.A Devlog

Hello, Elena here, the artist behind K.I.S.A!

I'll be explaining how the characters are designed and then developed so that they work with the skeleton animation needed for the game. It is different from drawing a character normally, but still simple in its own way.

Like any other drawing, each character (I'll be using the Guard in this example) starts off with a sketch to get a basic feel for the character. Even though the characters are only seen from the side in-game, I still like to do a front sketch as well to get a better feel for the character. Once a design is approved, I move on to the line art and colour stage.

kisa_skinningbones1.png

Spoiler

#18 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

K.I.S.A Alpha 3.2 is now available! Download it here. Chapters 1 and 2 are included in this build. Other changes are too numerous to count, but somehow I feel compelled to try anyway:

- Chapter 1: 'The Dungeon' added! Skip to it by pressing the 'Chapters' menu option.

- Chapter 2: 'The Village' added! Skip to it by pressing the 'Bookmarks' menu option.

- The Tutorial was updated to include a section about how to use health salves. Kisa and The Fool transition into their bow properly, and the end scene was modified.

- An opening story was added between The Tutorial and Chapter 1.

- A graphics quality glitch that prevented some users from switching to high quality in fullscreen was fixed.

- The main menu placeholder graphic of Kisa was updated to the final version. I'm putting it on all of the promotional images and hanging it on my wall. I'm just kidding about that second part, probably.

- Chapter titles and graphics were added. They look really fantastic, everyone. Elena's the best; I'm not afraid to use superlatives.

- A pause menu was added.

- A Bookmark Save/Load system was added.

- The options menu was updated to include the ability to rebind the quick-save, quick-load, and pause keys. Go crazy.

- Skirt physics optimized. All of the cloth was starting to take its toll on the engine.

- The Fool has his own footstep noises, instead of using Kisa's. He is also much better at following behind Kisa.

- Fighting noises are now appropriate to material of weapon & target. Fists make a fleshy sound when hitting a head, instead of a wooden noise.

- Static removed from narration. I was very close to trying to do batch noise removal on all of my audio before I realized that GM:Studio was at fault.

- Weapons now have blur trails. Violence looks fancier.

- Head injuries now result in a staticy screen and blurry border. Do not jump off of roofs, attempt a midair roll, and land on your head. I repeat, do not do this.

- Made jumping off of roofs and landing on your head less punishing. You can now fall over 25 feet and limp away because I'm a nice person and I don't want you to die all the time. The laws of physics and biology have no jurisdiction here.

- Lighting system was updated to allow for two different ambient light colors in the same level.

#19 sp202

sp202

Wannabe Indie

• GMC Member
  • 384 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

I'm happy to see another update, as you can imagine, I downloaded the game immediately, here are my initial thoughts:

- I tried using my controller at first, turns out the issue with up and down being reversed still hasn't been fixed. I gave up on using the controller. =P

- I managed to get past the first level quite easily seeing as I'd played the earlier version, I noticed a few minor differences, nothing too big though.

- Got to the second level, things were starting to get interesting. I really liked the scene where you break out of the cell and the stealth aspect was pretty cool too.

- Kisa kept sliding after I let go of the arrow key, which made hiding behind some barrels in time quite tough. I tried to move slightly while crouched, only to realize that the key-combo would initiate a roll straight towards the guard. XD

- Had to reload multiple times, all with no success, a checkpoint system would've been nice as having to play through the stealth part over and over gets quite tedious and especially since its the first time stealth is used, it would be appreciated if a small mistake later on didn't lead to a forced restart, besides, repeating the breaking-out-of-the-cell scene kinda makes it lose its impact.

- After failing multiple times to escape the prison, I rage-quitted.

- Came back to the game the next day, discovered that there was a quick-save/ quick-load system. Maybe you should add some instructions during the stealth part reminding the player that saving is possible. I'd also recommend a "saving" icon or something to show that the game was saved (when quick-saving), I'd also recommend changing the quick-load button to F9 or something that's a few keys away from F5 as it's far too easy to accidentally save when you meant to load.

- I found it slightly frustrating that even though I'd beat up the guard with the key, I was unable to pick it up straight away and instead had to get to the locked door prior to picking it up. Seeing as I already knew what to do, it was kinda annoying being forced to backtrack. I know that from a logical point of view, the player should know what the key is needed for before collecting it, but as I figured that out in the last play-through it just ended up being an annoyance.

- By the way, I really liked the attention to detail such as the Jester using both hands to climb the ladder, whereas Kisa was forced to do a more awkward style of climbing due to her hands being chained together.

- I finally got to the village and spent a good 10-20 minutes trying to figure out how to get past the final door in the area, I suspected that the key in the pottery store was needed, but seeing as there was no way to get in, I was stumped. I was later chased by the villagers and found out by accident that when the villagers lunged at me with their pitchfork, they had the magical ability to open doors, even locked ones. I wasn't sure if this was the way I was expected to solve the puzzle, but seeing no other way to solve it, I assumed it was.

- I got to the forge and I was perplexed as no matter how many times I pressed the down key, I was never able to pick up the axe. Until I realized that I was only allowed to carry one item at a time due to Kisa's hands being chained. I guess it was a mistake on my part for missing the obvious, but I still can't help thinking that it wasn't obvious enough. Maybe you should've added a reminder for the player stating that they're only allowed to carry one item at a time (if they attempt to pick up the axe while still holding the key).

- By the way, I also really liked swinging on the chains, I thought that was pretty cool. 

- Sadly, as Kisa swung out the window, the chapter ended. The image for the next chapter floated up and gave me hope that there was another chapter to play, but alas, twas nothing but a teaser. =P

- After playing this version of the game, I'm starting to think that the controls are a bit clunky, in the way that I was forced to take my hand off the keyboard to use the mouse, not just in the menus, but in-game as well. Maybe you should consider WASD for movement, LMB and RMB for attacks/ interaction and another key (either shift or space as a substitute for Z, X or C, whichever key you don't end up binding to the mouse).

Overall, I was quite impressed by the progress, there were a few minor glitches and rough edges (the guards aren't exactly acrobatic on ladders =P), but they're to be expected this early on in development. The story is starting to get interesting and I'm starting to see the beginnings of a few new, interesting looking game-play mechanics. I can't wait to see the next chapter, the game is definitely taking shape, keep up the good work =)

Edited by sp202, 23 August 2013 - 02:54 PM.

Posted Image

#20 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Thank you very much for the feedback, sp202. Shamefully, I have naught to give you but this heart smiley, but yours it is indeed.  :wub:

Controller: $#%&. Is your controller D-Input or X-Input? I'll give it another go, but because all of my controllers work fine at this point I have to suspect that it is a bug in GM itself.

Sliding: I'm may have to come up with a nice sneaking mechanic so that Kisa stops skidding past her hiding places. I assume that the single barrels were the issue?

Checkpoints: Hmm. I'll add a checkpoint system onto the to-do list. It shouldn't be too difficult to add. I definitely don't want to make the player repeat things over and over.

Rage-quit:  :confused:

Quick-save/Quick-load: I do remind you about quick-saving and quick-loading at the title screen of Chapter 1. I think a message system that tells you when saving/loading is occurring/has occurred is a good idea, though.

Attention to Detail:  :lol:

- Pottery Key: The villagers aren't supposed to be opening that door. Bad, bad villagers. There's a proper way to open the door, but judging from feedback I've gotten from you and others I need to make it more apparent.

Inventory Full: I can make the inventory flash red and use the message system to inform the player that their inventory is full when they try to pick up something they cannot.

Clunky Controls: Hmm...I'm going to have to think about how to deal with this one. Thanks for bringing it up!

#21 sp202

sp202

Wannabe Indie

• GMC Member
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I meant to reply yesterday but ended up forgetting to. =P Anyways, the controller I'm using is a wireless Xbox 360 controller paired with the wireless receiver, which I'm pretty sure uses XInput. As for sneaking, if you do end up changing the controls from arrow keys to WASD, Q and E could be used for crouched movement, otherwise, I really have no idea how you'd pull it off. By the way, I also had the idea that the characters could possibly be voiced. Not fully voiced with specific lines and what-not, but perhaps generic murmuring or just plain gibberish. As long as you get the right voice and the right tone, it'll end up sounding great and add a lot of depth and character to otherwise "voice-less", well...characters (besides the narrator/ The Voice). =P

Edited by sp202, 26 August 2013 - 04:35 PM.

Posted Image

#22 TropicalMammoth

TropicalMammoth

Math Wizard

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

I thought it was pretty good, though I do have some gripes with the rolling and how it works. Maybe use a different button to roll? It's pretty hard to stealthy move around objects when you keep rolling in and out of cover unintentionally when you just mean to crawl forward a little.

7j0k.png

Open Alpha is now available!

#23 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I may be sending you a special PM request regarding the controllers, sp202. :P I'm planning to add the option of binding mouse buttons, as well as a default mouse-based control scheme similar to what you described.

The generic voice idea is also good one. Who is voiced and who is not is a very important aspect of the story, so I'm debating whether it would fit the atmosphere and whether I have the resources to do it.

I think that I've fixed the duck-and-cover movement as well. I multiply the friction that a character experiences when coming to a stop behind objects, so Kisa should stop skidding past them.

Another update will be coming soon, but I may decided to pull a YoYo and give you a new chapter instead of fixing bugs.

#24 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

Cloth Physics in K.I.S.A

From the K.I.S.A Devlog

Last month, I received an e-mail from a game developer who played the alpha demo of K.I.S.A. They enjoyed the demo, and became interested in the physics engine behind K.I.S.A - more specifically, the cloth physics. I provided them with a brief overview and a promise to write a more in-depth blog entry on the subject.

I now have time to make good on that promise...so let’s talk about cloth physics.

kisa_cloth_1.gif

Spoiler

#25 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

kisa_release48.jpg

K.I.S.A Alpha 4.8 is now available! Download it here. This build contains Chapter 3: "The Temple" and Chapter 4: "The Pass". Other changes and additions are listed below.

- YoYoCompiler: This is the first build of the game compiled with YoYoGames' relatively new product, the YoYoCompiler (YYC). It makes the game run much faster, but is also riddled with weird, random bugs. I think that I've coded around them all, but let me know if anything wigs out.

- Game Resolution: The game now automatically resizes to fit any resolution between 3:4 and 16:9 without letterboxing or pillarboxing the game window.

- Intro and Menus: The intro screen and menus have been redesigned. The 'Chapters' and 'Bookmarks' menu options are also now functional.

- Icon: I only just realized that Game Maker: Studio accepts .ico files larger than 32 x 32. A new 128 x 128 icon has been created.

- Camera Zoom: The in-game camera has been modified to zoom in and out during cutscenes and during gameplay. (This is my favorite new feature).

- Skirts: Skirts have been modified - yet again - to make them more dynamic during actions such as rolling, falling, and kicking.

- Message System: Messages now inform you when the game is saved or loaded, and provide feedback about when your inventory is full or you use the incorrect key on a door.

- Checkpoints: In addition to bookmarks and quicksaves, a checkpoint system saves at key points in each level and reloads from those points upon death.

- Ladder AI: Enemies and allies shouldn't get stuck at the bottom of ladders anymore.

- Hiding: Kisa now makes an effort to stop behind objects she should be hiding behind, instead of sliding past them.

- Controller Support: Some Xbox-360 controllers had their vertical axis flipped. This should be fixed.

Edited by Oracizan, 21 October 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#26 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:09 AM

Looks nice, for a moment I confused the graphics with ones I saw a few years ago (a sidescroller strategy battle type game). Will try the game once I get my hands on my laptop

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

(Chinese axiom)

#27 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Thanks, Debels. Let me know what you think!

If anyone has issues running a YYC executable, you can download a normally compiled version here.

#28 sp202

sp202

Wannabe Indie

• GMC Member
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:42 AM

Sorry for the huge delay Oracizan, I actually downloaded the new version when it came out, but I've been quite busy over the last few weeks, but Kisa has always been at the back of my mind, bugging me to play it. So I finally got around to it today, and, to be honest, I can see the improvements, but I didn't think the new levels quite fit in with the previous chapters. Here's a load of nonsense spluttered out as it came to mind, hopefully you can make sense of it =P :

- I started playing, decided to use my Xbox controller, movement's fixed. Yay!

- I started playing from Chapter 3 as I had already played the last few chapters in older versions

- The tavern is kinda cool, but the dialogue...the dialogue felt a bit off to me

"Let us get her" doesn't quite sound right

perhaps something more like:

"Hey John, that girl over there looks familiar"

"Indeed she does, in fact, I believe it's that witch the guards are searching the town for"

"With the price over her head? Let's restrain her, shall we?"

Giving even NPCs character is important

- The combat felt quite clunky, I didn't really like that I was forced to fight, maybe I was playing it wrong due to using an Xbox controller, but all I was doing was running up to them, punching them and rolling around awkwardly. I know combat was present in the earlier chapters, but being forced into a bar fight is quite different to hitting a guard and running towards a ladder, especially when you have a companion who deals with guards with you

- Also, I managed to somehow push the rowdy rogues outside and close the door. Suddenly, they were invisible. I could see the environment outside the tavern, but not the enemies, they made no attempt to get back inside either

- The stealth bit was slightly annoying due to Kisa's tendencies to roll out of cover, perhaps it would be beter if Kisa's snapped into place behind cover when a button/ combo of buttons was pressed if it is within a certain distance

- The ladders really need to be more prominent, the black ladders were quite hard to spot, especially when you're not looking for them, perhaps a sort of glow or an icon on the ladder would help

- The boss fight felt quite out of place, I can see that you were trying to add more variety to the gameplay, but I personally would be fine with using stealth, interacting with NPCs and getting in a small fight now and then (though I'd prefer not to). 

- The boss fight also felt quite unfair as Kisa's movement isn't exactly the smoothest (she even decided to stroll leisurely during the boss fight with her head down and all), and having to dodge all   those magic ball things bouncing around was incredibly hard. And the opportunities to attack the boss while he was recharging were quite few are far between, and I wasn't able to defeat him before the game crashed and I received an out of memory error, which wasn't the first time I'd encountered the error in this version of the game. It might be due to the YoYo compiler, so I'll give the "safe" version a try too.

- I just didn't have the heart to start the third chapter for the third time after a crash, so I decided to move onto Chapter 4

- This chapter was quite different from my idea of what Kisa should be, I really didn't expect a whole/large part of a chapter dedicated to platforming. (I didn't manage to finish the chapter due to another crash which lost me my progress from the last ten minutes or so, so I had no idea what came after that area). I didn't want to risk another crash by starting once again, so here I am typing some (unfortunately) extremely pessimistic feedback

I really am sorry for the negative feedback, but all the crashes were frustrating me and it's quite early in the morning, so perhaps I wasn't in the right mood. But nonetheless, I will try and give the "safe" version a try and hopefully I'll have a better idea of what's going on in the game.

EDIT: I just finished playing both Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 on the "safe" version which I'm glad to say didn't crash on me at all. I found that things got a bit darker at the end of Chapter 3 when Kisa ends up pushing (who I assume to be) the Templar into the boiling pot and stealing his boots. The boss fight is definitely too hard and unfair at the moment, there doesn't seem to be any skill or strategy to it other than rolling around and hoping to dodge the boss' attacks which is quite frankly, not much of a strategy and wasn't fun at all.  

Chapter 4 I felt overstayed its welcome (the platforming part that is), there was just too much platforming and Kisa has a habit of recoiling backwards after being hit and rolling forwards. In case the last sentence wasn't clear enough, Kisa would, for example, get hit by a boulder while climbing up, she would roll forward, but then, roll backwards, almost always off the platform she had just climbed onto. This is considerably frustrating and the platforming overall could use a bit of work. But then again, I was using a Xbox controller this time, on which jumping is pretty unreliable (I'd recommend changing moving the joystick up to jump to something like A/ button 1). 

I definitely wasn't expecting that bit at the end of Chapter 3, Kisa's getting a bit violent don't you think? =P I just couldn't take the bit where Kisa and the old man are falling down the pit seriously, I just found it so hilarious, it was like something out of an action movie or something. I have no idea why the old man did all that and who he was, but I'm pretty sure this'll all be explained in due time. And that teaser...hopefully the next chapters will be available soon. As much as I have criticized this version, I'd still like to see what's coming up and I hope I haven't demoralised you in any way.  

EDIT: Actually, never mind, I forgot I could rebind the controls. =P However, I would still recommend that the following controls be defaulted to: 

Jump - Button 1

Kick - Button 3

Mouse click - Right trigger

These might not necessarily be the best controls for everyone, but I found this setup to be much more intuitive and easier to control than the default controls.

Edited by sp202, 17 November 2013 - 05:02 AM.

Posted Image

#29 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

Hey sp202,

You haven't demoralized me at all - quite the opposite! I appreciate that you took the time to try it out and leave such detailed feedback. Version 5.0 was just released, and includes a handful of minor touch-ups. That version was authored and released before I saw this feedback, unfortunately, so it's a tossup as to whether any of the issues you raised are addressed yet or not. I'll respond to a few things below, and send you a PM about the others.

"I started playing, decided to use my Xbox controller, movement's fixed. Yay!"
Thank goodness. I was worried that would never work! =P

"The tavern is kinda cool, but the dialogue...the dialogue felt a bit off to me"
I'll have to revisit it. I know what it's supposed to mean, but it's entirely possible I'm trying to be too clever.

"The combat felt quite clunky, I didn't really like that I was forced to fight"
Well, you'll definitely be forced to fight in this level and later ones. :) I was also bothered by the difficulty of the bar fight and how helpless you are when fighting without a wooden sword and the ability to high kick. I added in a knee attack and made Kisa more effective at defending herself. This makes fights easier, but the jury's still out on whether this makes them easy enough or not.

"I managed to somehow push the rowdy rogues outside and close the door. Suddenly, they were invisible. I could see the environment outside the tavern, but not the enemies, they made no attempt to get back inside either"
The enemies can be pretty stupid sometimes. Their inability to open doors should be fixed in the latest update.

"The stealth bit was slightly annoying due to Kisa's tendencies to roll out of cover"
I'm going to have to bite the bullet and add a crawl movement. Stealth is too annoying otherwise.

"The ladders really need to be more prominent"
Noted. I will probably make them the same color that they are in Chapter 1, so you know what to look for.

"Kisa would, for example, get hit by a boulder while climbing up, she would roll forward, but then, roll backwards, almost always off the platform she had just climbed onto"
I experienced that a few times, and I can see how that would get old fast. I'll limiting the flailing around after getting injured to a minimum.

"The boss fight felt quite out of place" & "The boss fight also felt quite unfair"
There will definitely be more combat and more boss fights. That's one thing that won't be changing. I will, however, always work to make them better. I can see how the boss fight with The Priest is a huge spike in difficulty; the fight with The Elder is probably a lot easier (although I did change it some in the latest version). It would make sense to crank down the difficulty for that fight and save the really tough stuff for later. ;)

Misc
- I'll look into the joystick control scheme. Up + Attack is used for defense, so I'm not sure how well it would work to bind both to one of the 4 main buttons.

- "Kisa's getting a bit violent don't you think? =P" Yes. Yes it is. =P (Arguably, though, that's about as violent as the game ever gets)

- "I just couldn't take the bit where Kisa and the old man are falling down the pit seriously, I just found it so hilarious" It is pretty absurd, isn't it? Despite or because of this, it's my favorite part of the game so far. Especially with the new update that makes falling ice chunks solid and The Elder a competent opponent.

- "I have no idea why the old man did all that and who he was, but I'm pretty sure this'll all be explained in due time" He's a one shot character, so his lines of dialogue are pretty much all you know about him. It could just be me trying to be too clever by half again, but most of the people who attack Kisa have very poor reasons for doing so. =P

Again, thanks for all the feedback. It is extremely helpful!

#30 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

K.I.S.A Alpha 6.4 has been released! [Download for Windows 7/8] [Download for Windows XP]

This will be the last alpha that is released publicly, but devlogs will continue to be posted here and on the main blog.

A (NON-EXHAUSTIVE) LIST OF CHANGES:

Chapter 4: The pre-boss fight section of Chapter 4 has been completely redone. I was aiming for 'difficult and unfair' the first time around, and I still am, but I hope that the new level manages to convey 'difficult and unfair' narrative-wise without actually being difficult and unfair to the player. I'm not entirely sure that makes sense, but there's also a cool new section where you have to balance on an ice boulder, so it's got that going for it.

Skirt Physics: I'm pretty sure that this has been on every single one of my changes roundups. More tweaks to the skirt physics means that I'm no longer fudging the curves at the knee and butt with sprites anymore; the leg constraint mentioned in this post cloth now curves at these joints instead of forming sharp angles.

Sneaking: Many playtesters mentioned that they would love a slower type of movement when they are trying to hid from guards. Kisa now has a sneak animation (Defend + Down), which she can use to move slowly and remain hidden.

Key Rebinding: Since when is there a defend key, you ask? Good question. In order to allow sneaking, keys had to be reallocated. Kick is now (Down + Attack 1/Attack 2), and defend has taken over the kick key). Further, the default attack/defend keys have been shifted from ZXC to ASD, to accommodate more keyboard layouts. The default quickload key has been changed to F8.

Object Physics: Objects now bow to the laws of physics.

UI update: Objects all have names now, which appear when K.I.S.A is able to pick them up. These will also appear when hovering over an item with the cursor in the inventory grid. Last, but certainly not least, the color scheme of the UI was updated.

Environment: A lot of tweaks here and there have been made to the scenery in each chapter. Floors in The Castle now have a new stone tile over them, and other areas have been subtly or not so subtly rearranged (Castle courtyard, Castle tower, Tavern, and so on. Just...a lot of places, okay?).

Snow: Snow now appears both in front of and behind characters, making it look that much more wintery when Kisa's outside.

Knife: I decided to introduce combat as a viable option for Kisa slightly earlier than originally planned, and placed a knife somewhere near The Tavern. With it, she has the option of Rambo-ing (Altaïr-ing?) her way through enemies rather than sneaking.

Guard Grab: Many Guards inside of The Castle will now grab Kisa and capture her, ending the level immediately rather than chase her around. This avoids giving players the false hope of escape and wasting their time.

Bookmarks: Saving and loading bookmarks should be much faster now.

Chapter Titles: The chapter title screen was rearranged.

Ladder Animation: Kisa's shackled climbing animation looks a bit smoother now.

Dialogue: Dialogue in several places was retooled.

Juggling Fool: The Fool now juggles for The King while waiting for Kisa to fetch the prop swords. Yes, this warranted its own entry. Shush.

This was a massive update, and there are bound to be minor changes that I've failed to note. Treat each one as if they were a mini surprise party, thrown just for you.

Edited by Oracizan, 16 March 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#31 Toggy11

Toggy11

Stararia Coder

• GMC Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

I really enjoyed playing to game though at Chapter 4 I think where you were falling fighting the oldman it became ridicously hard and I had to go to the easist  difficulty and after a while I finally won. Also are you supposed to be able to get Chapter 5? At the end I didn't understand why I was taken back to the menu then I did the chapter again because I  saved it and it let me go on to Chapter 5? But thenn I read the comment saying I can't because its a demo...

pY6pBTZ.png

#32 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for playing, Toggy. I've had to modify the difficulty of the fight with The Elder already, so I wouldn't be surprised if it still needed some tweaking.

This alpha version of the game ends at Chapter 4, so it's supposed to take you back to the menu, yes.

#33 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:05 AM

K.I.S.A Devlog 009: Do You Hear What I Hear?

I've spent the past few weeks working on K.I.S.A's audio, adding new sounds and modifying old ones. It was a bit of a learning experience for me, as I didn't know much about audio editing beyond the very basics. My games always had audio, but if I wasn't collaborating with a musician or sound effect designer, it was never my main focus. Now I understand what roughly half of the Audacity audio filters do - which is an accomplishment given how many filters there are, trust me - and have a much better grasp on how important audio can be for immersion.

Read More...

#34 sp202

sp202

Wannabe Indie

• GMC Member
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

Ooh, another KISA update, it really has been a while. I was worried you might have indefinitely halted development on it. :P I read the blog post and I'm excited to see the effect the revamped audio has on the game. Hope it won't be too long before I get a chance to try it out. :)

Posted Image

#35 trg601

trg601

Member of the GMC

• GMC Member
  • 629 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

Wow! I just got a few minutes into the game, and it's very impressive!

EDIT: Finished the game, that was very fun!

I like the stealth-ness and the actrobatics, and the graphics are stunning!

And the gameplay is very fun! I look forward to playing it to the finish when it comes out :)

Edited by trg601, 04 April 2015 - 04:10 PM.

Because of the forum being archived, the above post is probably pretty old and may not reflect my current opinion.
If you want to find some of my games go to: Mutantbrain

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, alpha, 2d, adventure