4 replies to this topic

#1 amcd

amcd

GMC Member

• 13 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Cyan

This is my first game made with GM and I'm very happy with the result. It was made for the GMC Jam #10 and Ludum Dare 26, which means that it might be a bit unpolished.

If you play it, let me know what you think!

Link to Ludum Dare entry

Download game

Source code

screen2.png

Download game

Edited by amcd, 03 May 2013 - 10:22 PM.

GMCJam10_MiniBanner_zps49902e8a.png My Jam #10 entry: Cyan

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

First off, I should mention that the self-extractor file didn't work automatically -- I had to manually unzip/extract. And after it extracted, only the Ludum Dare file would actually run. The GMC Jam version would not run (not recognized as a valid .exe). So my comments here are about the LD file.

Anyway... I really like this. Very impressive for your first GameMaker game, and first Jam game. It has many nice features, such as the auto-save, a good menu, smooth controls, nice graphical effects, etc. Clearly, you have some coding skill.

I especially liked the controls. With a combination of jumping, using environmental objects, and the rechargeable jet-pack, I was able to get around nicely. The jet-pack is a particularly nice feature.

The graphics are pretty good --they certainly satisfy the Jam handicap. Not so sure how the "foreign" theme fits in here. Also, the main character is rather nondescript, so he/she could be improved. But the rest of the environment is simple and effective. And you did a nice job with the cyan electrical effects, and the glowing shots.

The gameplay seems pretty basic so far, although I've only played through to the second level. I keep getting killed for reasons unknown. Even if I shoot the cyan tripod things...(and don't touch them) I eventually die before finishing the level. So there's something here I'm missing...

I'll play this more later. But so far, this looks like a very good Jam entry. Good graphics, neat sounds and effects, smooth controls, and interesting gameplay. Nice job for your first GMC Jam entry. :thumbsup: +1

Edited by chance, 02 May 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#3 amcd

amcd

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

First off, I should mention that the self-extractor file didn't work automatically -- I had to manually unzip/extract. And after it extracted, only the Ludum Dare file would actually run. The GMC Jam version would not run (not recognized as a valid .exe). So my comments here are about the LD file.

Anyway... I really like this. Very impressive for your first GameMaker game, and first Jam game. It has many nice features, such as the auto-save, a good menu, smooth controls, nice graphical effects, etc. Clearly, you have some coding skill.

I especially liked the controls. With a combination of jumping, using environmental objects, and the rechargeable jet-pack, I was able to get around nicely. The jet-pack is a particularly nice feature.

The graphics are pretty good --they certainly satisfy the Jam handicap. Not so sure how the "foreign" theme fits in here. Also, the main character is rather nondescript, so he/she could be improved. But the rest of the environment is simple and effective. And you did a nice job with the cyan electrical effects, and the glowing shots.

The gameplay seems pretty basic so far, although I've only played through to the second level. I keep getting killed for reasons unknown. Even if I shoot the cyan tripod things...(and don't touch them) I eventually die before finishing the level. So there's something here I'm missing...

I'll play this more later. But so far, this looks like a very good Jam entry. Good graphics, neat sounds and effects, smooth controls, and interesting gameplay. Nice job for your first GMC Jam entry. :thumbsup: +1

First: glad you liked it, and thanks for trying it!

The zip-file is not self-extracting, so that is not an error. I have realised though when downloading and playing quite a lot of LD/Jam games the last few days that it is a lot nicer when not having to go through the steps to extract a zip file. Next time I'll skip that step.

I do not know why the GM-version shouldn't work.. I'm pretty sure I tried it, but I'll try again. *edit* I tried again on this computer and it runs fine here.. Not sure why it doesn't work for you. */edit*

Although this is my first Jam game, it is my third LD, so I'm not completley unused to coding under pressure! :) Compared to my previous LDs (first time I used DirectX, second time Löve2D - which is a great Lua engine), I got a lot more done in the time frame this year (I even used less time than last year), which I have GM to thank for. It is a very nice development tool.

I do not know why you should be dying for no reason on the second level. The only obstacles if I remember correctly are bouncing mines (what you call cyan tripods I assume) and lasers. Both should be clearly visible. The mines though have an area effect so if you shoot one while standing/flying too close you'll still take damage. Let me know if you keep having problem and I can look into it.

The gameplay is quite basic (although you'll meet some robots on later levels). I'm pretty happy with a lot of things about this game though, so I'm considering starting a new project with similar gameplay and mechanics, but more of everything... Hopefully I can find an artist to help out with graphics in that case, because the simple graphics of this game is not because of time pressure - just my limited artistic ability. :)

Edited by amcd, 03 May 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#4 amcd

amcd

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

I've added the source code for this project for anyone who might be interested.

Just keep in mind it is my first game in GM and I haven't really figured out the best way to organize these things. :)

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

First off, I should mention that the self-extractor file didn't work automatically -- I had to manually unzip/extract.

The zip-file is not self-extracting, so that is not an error.
Your game file that's included in Nocturne's zip file is a "Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor" -- not a zip folder. It's a single executable with a .exe suffix that's meant to self-extract when opened. (But it's not an "installer".) Looks like you selected the wrong option in the Studio menu. But it's not a big deal. It's easy enough to Right-click / extract the file.

I do not know why you should be dying for no reason on the second level. The only obstacles if I remember correctly are bouncing mines (what you call cyan tripods I assume) and lasers. Both should be clearly visible. The mines though have an area effect so if you shoot one while standing/flying too close you'll still take damage.

That's the reason. I've played a few more times and I see that now. Maybe you could make a faint cyan "glow effect" around the mines to indicate their effective area. Just a thought for your next iteration. :)

Edited by chance, 06 May 2013 - 12:02 PM.