• 2161 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

io1c3p.png

Genre: FPS, survival, dark, horror, supernatural

Compatible with: Windows XP/Vista/7

Default Resolution: 1280 x 960

Description:

Dark 3D survival game with touches of supernatural and insanity. Fight off spirits with your weapon to survive as long as possible. If your sanity collapses, it's game over for you. Literally.

Story or something:

You open your eyes to find yourself in total darkness. Torrents of rain patter on steel all around you. You struggle to sit up and let your eyes adjust themselves. You seem to be standing on some sort of metal grate. When you take a step forward, something makes a scraping noise. You extend your hand to an object on the ground in front of you. Picking it up and taking a closer look reveals it to be some sort of gun-like instrument. After fiddling with the buttons on the side, a bright beam of light emerges from underneath the "barrel". You hold the gun in front of you for protection and set out to explore your surroundings.

Color scheme: black, dark gray, white, red
Tools used:
- Game Maker 8.1 Standard
- Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2
- Mozilla Firefox

Budget: Absolutely nothing

DLLs and ext. packages: None

Dev time: ~44 hours

Download:

http://sandbox.yoyog...166-platform-13

Platform_13_ghosts2.PNG

Edited by darkwalker247, 30 April 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#2 jordland

jordland

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:48 AM

I think there's a really strong core here and I like the look of the game a lot. Has a sweet spin on classic FPS aesthetic/tech that I'm quite fond of.

A few thoughts:

Field of View is too low. I know you don't want it to be massive but at this size it just makes looking around frustrating. I'd say the same goes with the turn rate on the mouse as well. 

Also, if you plan on expanding on it, I'd suggest adding some kind of map/visual element/ability to allow you to keep track of where you've been. Since the platform itself is abstract in design I think it's needed.

Edited by jordland, 30 April 2013 - 02:48 AM.

#3 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

This is really atmospheric and moody. You've made excellent use of sounds and visual effects to give a real sense of immersion. So the game makes a great first impression.

The graphics appear to use the basic primitives -- instead of complex pre-built models, but I've only played a little, so I'm not sure what else may be here. But they're constructed very well to create a stark and scary environment. What I see so far is quite impressive.

Unfortunately, I can't comment much on the gameplay. I just wasn't able to make it very far into the game. :( That's because the very small field-of-view makes navigation and exploration really difficult. It took me about three tries to last more than a few seconds before getting killed. Eventually, I was able to move down a corrider and see a few things... but I still died shortly thereafter.

I think you could really improve this by opening the view angle. But mostly, it needs to start out without so much danger. In other words, give the players a chance to just explore without being attacked. Then have the danger start a bit more gradually, once players are more familiar with the controls and the environment.

You've got all the pieces here for a really good game. It just needs some fine-tuning to make it more playable. So this is still a good Jam entry. Definitely worth continuing after the Jam. :thumbsup: +1

#4 Floofpaws

Floofpaws

Fox

• GMC Member
  • 2161 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

Thanks for the detailed info!

The graphics appear to use the basic primitives -- instead of complex pre-built models, but I've only played a little, so I'm not sure what else may be here.

Every single thing in the entire game, except the poles, are flat walls :D

Unfortunately, I can't comment much on the gameplay. I just wasn't able to make it very far into the game. :( That's because the very small field-of-view makes navigation and exploration really difficult. It took me about three tries to last more than a few seconds before getting killed. Eventually, I was able to move down a corrider and see a few things... but I still died shortly thereafter.

You realize you can shoot, right?

You've got all the pieces here for a really good game. It just needs some fine-tuning to make it more playable. So this is still a good Jam entry. Definitely worth continuing after the Jam. :thumbsup: +1

Thanks, I might work on it more when not busy with my <exaggeration>2343453473745</exaggeration> other game projects :/

#5 Suiliangila

Suiliangila

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

Я занимаюсь продвижением сайтов, на форумах, все выглядит очень просто, я пишу статьи или обзоры и оставлю анкор на сайт или ссылку.
Примсер: Ремонт ворот в городе Москве. Недорого и с гарантией.

#6 Floofpaws

Floofpaws

Fox

• GMC Member
  • 2161 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

Update! (Version 2)

-Increased the FOV
-Increased turning speed
-The rain sound now lags behind less on slower computers (I hope)
-Added a hint of motion blur
-Amplified the footstep sounds so they can actually be heard