If you have recently joined the GMC, welcome! This community is a great place to expand your knowledge of programming and making games while using GameMaker, and the members we have here are a fantastic bunch that will certainly do their best to help you out when they can.
However, before posting PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES. Many new members seem to ignore the fact that double posting is not permitted and that they should use the <EDIT> button to add information to a previous post, other new members don't realise that we have a strict limit on the size of signatures (maximum TOTAL height of 150px), and some new members think that they can post any question on any forum, when each forum has a very specific goal:
- The Community is only for stuff that the WHOLE community is affected by.
- The Studio forums are for TECHNICAL problems with GM:Studio, and it's respective platforms.
- The Programming forums are for ALL types of programming questions for ALL platforms, and if you are not sure which sub-forum your question belongs in, then please post in Q&A. Note that in the 3D sub-forum and the Advanced sub-forum ALL posts should contain code examples and not just be simple "Help me" topics, as that is what the General Q&A forum is for.
- The Education forums are for posting about educational events, materials or software, with a sub forum for resources and tutorials.
- The Games forums are for your games and for design and distribution issues.
As you can see, there is a place for everything, so please try and respect the rules of each forum and post your questions in the correct sections as this makes life easier for everyone! To help make things easier for you, here are a few general "Rules of Conduct":
1) There is a "search" box at the top of the page and you can use it to search the forums for answers to your questions before posting, as it's probable that many people have already had your problem and you may be able to find a solution without even posting (alternatively, Google offer an excellent search using "site", eg: site:gmc.yoyogames.com gmc jam).
2) When posting a new topic, the title should be as descriptive as possible (PLEASE no more "Help Me!" topics!!!) and if posting a programming or technical question you should supply code, screenshots, examples etc... the more information that you give, the better the help that you will receive.
3) Be polite and grateful when someone replies to your topic, even if the answer is wrong or does not resolve your issue. Someone took their time to at least try and help you, so you should acknowledge this!
4) If your problem is resolved, please mark the "Best Answer" using the button provided at the bottom of the post, or - if you have resolved the problem yourself without forum help or the forum you posted in doesn't have a "best answer" option - edit the post tile to include [SOLVED] so that other members can see this.
Finally, there are a number of things that get asked around here frequently so below you can find a brief FAQ.
- Can I change the forum skin?
Yes, at the very, very bottom of the page there is a small text button lablelled "Change theme". You can use this to choose a lighter (or darker) theme.
- Can I change my user name?
Yes. But only ONCE after joining and only if you have no warn points. To do so, contact an Admin.
- Can I get a custom title other than "GMC Member"?
Yes, please see this topic: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=504604
- Should I reply to topics that are posted in the wrong section?
Yes, but use the <REPORT> button to request that a moderator move the topic.
- If I make a mistake and post in the wrong forum, should I make another topic?
No, you should use the <REPORT> button and request that a moderator move the topic to the correct place.
- Can I post about my Kickstarter/Indie GoGo/Whatever Campaign?
Not directly no. We are not a fundraising forum, however you may add links to your signature or to your WIP/Finished game topic (as long as the topic is about the GAME and not the campaign).
- Can I use Adf.ly or other types of money/reward links?
Yes and no. You can use these links as long as an alternative direct link is supplied too, so that the forum user can choose which to click.
- Why can't I give reputation or post profile comments?
When you reach 20 posts, you are automatically promoted to a full member, which enables reputation and profile comments (among other things). This is a protective measure to help the forums weed out spam bots.
PS: To older members who have been here a while... if you have anything that you think a new member should know, please post and suggest that it be added to the FAQ