Photo

Attention New Members! Please Read This!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

If you have recently joined the GMC, welcome! This community is a great place to expand your knowledge of programming and making games while using GameMaker, and the members we have here are a fantastic bunch that will certainly do their best to help you out when they can.

However, before posting PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES. Many new members seem to ignore the fact that double posting is not permitted and that they should use the <EDIT> button to add information to a previous post, other new members don't realise that we have a strict limit on the size of signatures (maximum TOTAL height of 150px), and some new members think that they can post any question on any forum, when each forum has a very specific goal:

• The Community is only for stuff that the WHOLE community is affected by.
  • The Studio forums are for TECHNICAL problems with GM:Studio, and it's respective platforms.
  • The Programming forums are for ALL types of programming questions for ALL platforms, and if you are not sure which sub-forum your question belongs in, then please post in Q&A. Note that in the 3D sub-forum and the Advanced sub-forum ALL posts should contain code examples and not just be simple "Help me" topics, as that is what the General Q&A forum is for.
  • The Education forums are for posting about educational events, materials or software, with a sub forum for resources and tutorials.
  • The Games forums are for your games and for design and distribution issues.

As you can see, there is a place for everything, so please try and respect the rules of each forum and post your questions in the correct sections as this makes life easier for everyone! To help make things easier for you, here are a few general "Rules of Conduct":

1) There is a "search" box at the top of the page and you can use it to search the forums for answers to your questions before posting, as it's probable that many people have already had your problem and you may be able to find a solution without even posting (alternatively, Google offer an excellent search using "site", eg: site:gmc.yoyogames.com gmc jam).

2) When posting a new topic, the title should be as descriptive as possible (PLEASE no more "Help Me!" topics!!!) and if posting a programming or technical question you should supply code, screenshots, examples etc... the more information that you give, the better the help that you will receive. 

3) Be polite and grateful when someone replies to your topic, even if the answer is wrong or does not resolve your issue. Someone took their time to at least try and help you, so you should acknowledge this!

4) If your problem is resolved, please mark the "Best Answer" using the button provided at the bottom of the post, or - if you have resolved the problem yourself without forum help or the forum you posted in doesn't have a  "best answer" option - edit the post tile to include [SOLVED] so that other members can see this.

Finally, there are a number of things that get asked around here frequently so below you can find a brief FAQ.

GMC FAQ

- Can I change the forum skin?
Yes, at the very, very bottom of the page there is a small text button lablelled "Change theme". You can use this to choose a lighter (or darker) theme.

- Can I change my user name?
Yes. But only ONCE after joining and only if you have no warn points. To do so, contact an Admin.

- Can I get a custom title other than "GMC Member"?
Yes, please see this topic: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=504604

- Should I reply to topics that are posted in the wrong section?
Yes, but use the <REPORT> button to request that a moderator move the topic.

- If I make a mistake and post in the wrong forum, should I make another topic?
No, you should use the <REPORT> button and request that a moderator move the topic to the correct place.

- Can I post about my Kickstarter/Indie GoGo/Whatever Campaign?
Not directly no. We are not a fundraising forum, however you may add links to your signature or to your WIP/Finished game topic (as long as the topic is about the GAME and not the campaign).

- Can I use Adf.ly or other types of money/reward links?
Yes and no. You can use these links as long as an alternative direct link is supplied too, so that the forum user can choose which to click.

- Why can't I give reputation or post profile comments?
When you reach 20 posts, you are automatically promoted to a full member, which enables reputation and profile comments (among other things). This is a protective measure to help the forums weed out spam bots.

PS: To older members who have been here a while... if you have anything that you think a new member should know, please post and suggest that it be added to the FAQ

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#2 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1359 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

Maybe add that users can use the search bar at the top to check for topics that may already exist before they post something.

Another good way to find topics that exist already is to search on this site using Google (e.g. site:gmc.yoyogames.com gmc jam).

TeamSteeveBanner.png

#3 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Thanks guys. both those suggestions have been added...  :thumbsup:

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#4 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

I'd suggest adding that even Q&A topics should contain code, if possible, or at least a detailed description of the problem. Our ability to help is directly related to the amount of information we are given.

#5 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Hooray! No more ´wrong´ messages ever again!

#6 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

I'd suggest adding that even Q&A topics should contain code, if possible, or at least a detailed description of the problem. Our ability to help is directly related to the amount of information we are given.

Good point. Added...  :thumbsup:

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#7 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Could someone at YYG create some sort of bot that sends a private message to all the new members to go to this topic?

#8 Lukasmah

Lukasmah

A fan of staplers

• GMC Member
  • 840 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

A visual guide of how to add "Solved" to a topic title would be a welcome addition.

This, this so much.

I entered the Q&A a few times... I left because people don't put [solved] tags. It is so annoying.

Edited by Lukasmah, 12 March 2015 - 09:35 AM.

This is my signature. Isn't it nice?

#9 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

visual guide of how to add "Solved" to a topic title would be a welcome addition.

Added (not exactly visual, but it IS explained).

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#10 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

• The Community is only for stuff that the WHOLE community is affected by.
  • The Studio forums are for TECHNICAL problems with GM:Studio, and it's respective platforms.
  • The Programming forums are for ALL types of programming questions for ALL platforms, and if you are not sure which sub-forum your question belongs in, then please post in Q&amp;A. Note that in the 3D sub-forum and the Advanced sub-forum ALL posts should contain code examples and not just be simple "Help me" topics, as that is what the General Q&amp;A forum is for.
Young newbies don't always understand differences between "technical" problems and "programming" problems. So this wording may invite even more code questions to the Studio forum.

So you might consider a very simple first bullet in the list:

* Programming questions belong in Questions and Answers

Beyond that, this is well written but rather wordy. People who cannot understand simple forum descriptions, may not understand this. So I'd avoid the temptation to add more and more guideline here. Keep it short and simple, just focusing on the real problem.

Edited by chance, 16 April 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#11 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

Also, I like how no new people have posted in this topic yet. Just a bunch of the regulars.

#12 Overloaded

Overloaded

Oneirophobia

• GMC Member
  • 995 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

- Can I change my user name?

Yes. But only ONCE after joining and only if you have no warn points. To do so, contact an Admin.

I thought it that you can change it after a year you changed it.

gmc_signature.png

Upcoming 2D Turn-Based RPG. You can visit our website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Check out my GM Marketplace Assets!

Follow me on Twitter: @OVLDD

#13 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Also, I like how no new people have posted in this topic yet. Just a bunch of the regulars.

Haha, it kind of shows who really reads these things, and who don't, haha.

ps: Actually, how about a FORUM guide! Or either a guide line, as in, in a list of 15 options, you select what is closest to what you are looking for and it re-directs you there.

• Want to introduce yourself? -> redirects to that one page.

• Piece of code not working or not sure how to handle your idea? -> redirects to Q&A

• Tech questions? ->...

• Want to share your idea and let other people take a shot at it? -> redirects to game design

• Here to give a duck? -> banned 

... you get the idea.

Edited by Ruub, 15 April 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#14 Futhark

Futhark

• GMC Member
  • 891 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

For rule number four, how about adding "Do not delete your thread title or your comments."

My GMC Board Display Settings:
I can NOT see your sig, pics or avatars.
Let me know if I miss anything important you're trying to show me.

Information Overbloat Error in Function:Eye

#15 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

Don't make crap up.
-NakedPaulToast

#16 Swifty

Swifty

Shadow

• GMC Member
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

PS: To older members who have been here a while... if you have anything that you think a new member should know, please post and suggest that it be added to the FAQ

In keeping with the friendly new member topic, I'd put links to each section of the forum you covered, so they can easily navigate there, as below:

If you have recently joined the GMC, welcome! This community is a great place to expand your knowledge of programming and making games while using GameMaker, and the members we have here are a fantastic bunch that will certainly do their best to help you out when they can.

However, before posting PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES. Many new members seem to ignore the fact that double posting is not permitted and that they should use the <EDIT> button to add information to a previous post, other new members don't realise that we have a strict limit on the size of signatures (maximum TOTAL height of 150px), and some new members think that they can post any question on any forum, when each forum has a very specific goal:

• The Community is only for stuff that the WHOLE community is affected by.
  • The Studio forums are for TECHNICAL problems with GM:Studio, and it's respective platforms.
  • The Programming forums are for ALL types of programming questions for ALL platforms, and if you are not sure which sub-forum your question belongs in, then please post in Q&A. Note that in the 3D sub-forum and the Advanced sub-forum ALL posts should contain code examples and not just be simple "Help me" topics, as that is what the General Q&A forum is for.
  • The Education forums are for posting about educational events, materials or software, with a sub forum for resources and tutorials.
  • The Games forums are for your games and for design and distribution issues.
As you can see, there is a place for everything, so please try and respect the rules of each forum and post your questions in the correct sections as this makes life easier for everyone! To help make things easier for you, here are a few general "Rules of Conduct":

Swifty

Edited by Swifty, 16 April 2013 - 11:18 AM.

Don't be Afraid to Fail.

#17 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

Lol! Thanks... Can't believe I didn't think about that... (facepalm)

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#18 Overloaded

Overloaded

Oneirophobia

• GMC Member
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

- Is GM9 being developed? Will it come this year?

YYG has no plans yet and the date is unknown.

Please add this, because new users don't know much about YYG and their plans, so this may cause confusion.

Edited by Overloaded, 02 May 2013 - 10:13 AM.

gmc_signature.png

Upcoming 2D Turn-Based RPG. You can visit our website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Check out my GM Marketplace Assets!

Follow me on Twitter: @OVLDD

#19 The Eggman Empire

The Eggman Empire

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:14 AM

Cool! Good that you are helping out others that are new and confused.

The story begins with who's gonna win

Knowin' the dangers that lies within

Aboard the ARK a genius at heart

Who wanted to unlock the mysteries of life

I am the Eggman

#20 johnboy

johnboy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

I'm new to the site so this may well be covered elsewhere: but a guide for newbies in what you might think is excruciating detail wouldn't go amiss. For example I haven't the foggiest how to make links to upload pictures or GM demo's - I've set up dropbox but the "link" button and "image" button within GM posting don't seem to work!!

Anyone I ask about this assumes I know what the heck they're talking about, and, well...I KNOW NOTHING - an easy to understand explanation is required please. This might seem off topic dicussing FTP's but uploading is part of the Gamemaker process on the community.

In the help section it says some area's of the community support "attachments" within posts - what can you attach? and where? All of the posts and help regarding this have no information about specifics. Does YoYo offer storage within the community, or is it on the user to provide a link? (and as mentioned before, how if so?)

PS I get the message "Javascript void" when I try the image/attcachment button's - is that my computer?

NOTE: Figured this out - Hadn't got RTE to standard button activated! Maybe you could point out what that does to people like me - I'm guessing it means Real time event / execution, but it's doubledutch to me! Good old trial and error saved the day.

Edited by johnboy, 09 March 2014 - 10:31 PM.

#21 azelea

azelea

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

Ah found this after I was here already for a small while. Better late than never!

#22 ramram7

ramram7

GMC Member

• 3 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

hii

Good post. I carefully read all topic................

thanks

Edited by ramram7, 11 November 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#23 Monkeyman88

Monkeyman88

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:09 AM

Hello Everyone, I'm excited to be part of this community and to be making games. :) 

#24 Insert Name Here

Insert Name Here

The Unknown Ninja

• GMC Member
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:39 AM

Could someone at YYG create some sort of bot that sends a private message to all the new members to go to this topic?

Good idea. Maybe they can scrap me and repurpose me for that task. xD
I found this awesome 3D modeling site called voxelbuilder.com. It's is remarkably easy to use!
MARIO & Luigi 4: Corrupted
Spoiler

#25 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:46 AM

Good idea. Maybe they can scrap me and repurpose me for that task. xD

No way.... we like to keep our failures around to remind us of what not to do. :)

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#26 Kenton

Kenton

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:49 AM

Gotcha!