Photo

Any Way To Clear "Recommended Videos" On Youtube?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

For some reason, my recommended videos sidebar shows a bunch of stupid s*** like MLP videos. I've deleted my video history but this does nothing. I can't find a way to delete these. Does anyone know of a way, or is this another one of Google's retarded "features"?

InvaderX.gif

#2 mcmonkey

mcmonkey

mcmonkey

• GMC Member
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

This is google's unsubtle reminder that even if you check don't-record-history, delete your history, ask for privacy, etc...
They still have a full log of everything you do, down to the second.
Spam prevents spam by spamming the spammers spam bots with spam.
YYGF Archive: http :// mcmonkey . org / yygf/classic/index . html
3794 Post on YYGF before the end.
Game Maker 8 Documentation Online: http :// mcmonkey . org / chmstore/gm8/files/index . html

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to massively exaggerate my points more often than humans take steps on Earth.
Disclaimer: My jokes are poorly planned and may end up looking like insults. They are not.

I finally got a real domain name! http://mcmonkey.org

#3 Exkakx

Exkakx

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 705 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

I think if you go to http://www.youtube.com/my_history and just delete everything, your recommended videos will reset.

ExkakxWord1.gifExkakxWord2.gifExkakxWord3.gifExkakxWord4.gif   

#4 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

I think if you go to http://www.youtube.com/my_history and just delete everything, your recommended videos will reset.

I did, doesn't work. I still have two MLP videos and a "most disappointing games of 2011" video (wouldn't be a problem if the thumbnail wasn't a ****ing dead kid) in the sidebar of one of the videos I frequently watch.

EDIT: For now, I've adblocked the thumbnails, but I don't want to have to do this with every single annoying video in the recommended section.

I really hate Google now. ****ing draconian bastards.

Edited by commander of games, 07 April 2013 - 05:50 AM.

InvaderX.gif

#5 ElectroMan

ElectroMan

Jack of No Trades

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

I really hate Google now. ****ing draconian bastards.

Yep, pour hatred into a behemoth of a company, that's healthy.

You could try the support team of Youtube and ask them about this, so that at least you have something reasonable to complain about when even they ultimately fail you.

hz6U0LV.gif

#6 GRS9790

GRS9790

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

What is google going to do? Send a hit squad after him?

I despise google as well. Their policies and use of information are deplorable. Unfortunately they offer something I want, so I deal with it. For now.

#7 Darzoz

Darzoz

Only Unknown.

• GMC Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

stupid s*** like MLP videos.

a ****ing dead kid.

****ing draconian bastards.

Sir, I am going to have to ask that you calm the ***** down and contact a support team, or I dunno, find an add-on or something that blocks suggested videos.

"Forged by an ancient Otaku Master over the heat of a roaring manga fire."

IiNpdcj.png

#8 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

Haha, I wonder what you've been looking up that... you rather wouldn't want to be recommend at times

#9 Blewb

Blewb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 60 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

For some reason

Most common reason is you actually watching that type of videos.  :biggrin: LOL... Well I remember clearing the history working for me in the past, however if it doesn't... keep removing video by video from the list and hope it goes away.

LMAO BRUH

#10 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

Can't you just try and fill your history with the sort of videos you want to see recommended?

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

The destination is much harder to reach when you don't want to walk towards it.

#11 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

Haha, I wonder what you've been looking up that... you rather wouldn't want to be recommend at times

Nothing. I did watch an MLP episode ONCE, like, over a year ago to see if it was garbage or not, but I've never watched anything like that again. Although I suppose I've clicked some Youtube links that lead to MLP videos before (didn't know what they were).

Google should give you the option to clear recommended videos. Oh, wait, no, they're too busy making Youtube's theme even worse (the new channel layout makes me want to vomit and punch something at the same time) to actually add a useful feature.

InvaderX.gif

#12 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• GMC:Member
  • 2164 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Nothing. I did watch an MLP episode ONCE, like, over a year ago to see if it was garbage or not, but I've never watched anything like that again. Although I suppose I've clicked some Youtube links that lead to MLP videos before (didn't know what they were).

Look, YouTube recommendations aren't random, they are bound to your account based on what you watch. You have to look up a fair few before you get recommendations in my experience. 

Nobody here is a fool, we all know you watch MLP videos, nobody cares.

Not trying to bash on you here, just stop denying it lol.

:duck:

#13 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Except I don't watch those videos.

InvaderX.gif

#14 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• 2164 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

Ah yes, Google is known for specifically offering MLP content to random people.

Lol gimme a break.

#15 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

As I said, I have been linked to several MLP videos before. That's probably why.

If I liked MLP, what reason would I have to lie about it?

InvaderX.gif

#16 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• 2164 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:57 AM

If I liked MLP, what reason would I have to lie about it?

Because MLP fandom is controversial. Some people actively shame those who are into it. There is no getting around the fact that you, or someone who has access to your account, has recently watched MLP videos. I've also been trap linked into viewing some, it never affects my suggestions because the content I do search for outweighs random links.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious but as far as I know, the YouTube suggestion system doesn't work the way you describe. If there is any information online that talks about suggestions and demonstrates it can load videos inappropriately, then by all means show me, it'd be useful to know for future reference. At this point, your talk is cheap.

But your like or hate for a fandom isn't really the point. Getting back to the topic, your history will change as you watch other videos overtime. Unless you have neglected to log in for a year, there is no reason why it won't suggest MLP if you have recently searched for and watched videos. Likewise, if you actively use YouTube for other material, you'll get relevant results hopefully.

You could create a bogus account or use a proxy if you do ever decide to watch material in the future that you don't want people tracking. 

#17 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

I do not watch MLP and I never will. I am sick of people telling others that I am someone I am not.

InvaderX.gif

#18 Darzoz

Darzoz

Only Unknown.

• GMC Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

I do not watch MLP and I never will. I am sick of people telling others that I am someone I am not.

Maybe instead of actively defending this point, you could concentrate on all of the points in Loaf's post that are relative to your interests. It may get you answers more quickly, plus, it may or may not draw the MLP-based questionings and mystery out of the spotlight, and thus out of the conversation.

Not to say you don't have a right to clear the air about who you actively are if you want to though. I mean, I'm not gonna tell ya' what to do.

"Forged by an ancient Otaku Master over the heat of a roaring manga fire."

IiNpdcj.png

#19 Blewb

Blewb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 60 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

OK, OK, let's all just chill and assume he only checked those videos once to see what the people are so crazy about.

But still though, you can stop wondering why those recomendations are there, it's because you had at the least some (or a lot of) connection with those vids. :P

LMAO BRUH

#20 ShadowCat

ShadowCat

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Another way, Watch a bunch of videos that you like, then those MLP vids will leave :)

1zmh5d4.jpg

~Rawr~ Hey!, Check out my game, Sushi Survival! I'd deeply appreciate it if you played and rated it ='D.

#21 rumproast

rumproast

GMC Member

• 0 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

Thread necromancy, deal with it.

I'm having this problem too. I watched a video of a guy popping blackheads. Now my recommended videos are flooded with grotesque thumbnails of puss squezing out of wounds like cheese whiz. You don't need to watch many videos before youtube decides to cram vaguely related material down your gullet months after the fact. And there is absolutely no way to clear that nasty crap off your home page without going through a random video watching spree, and then who knows what will be on your home page?

Why do people play the devil's advocate for youtube and try to defend this garbage? That's the majority of this thread. People happily bending over and taking it.

/rant

#22 Comix Blade

Comix Blade

GMC Member

• 101 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

Ah yes, Google is known for specifically offering MLP content to random people.

Lol gimme a break.

Oh if you only you were joking around then I would be laughing.

Independent developer for:

LHqsaK.png