181 replies to this topic

#1 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Note to staff: do not delete this topic.

Yes, the recent stir about YoYo Games selling out to Valve was an elaborate April Fools joke. Cached version of the FAKE April Fools thread here.

Unfortunately, while we on the GMC staff had Mike (YYG Head of Development) involved, we assumed Sandy (YYG CEO) knew and apparently he didn't...there was a miscommunication of some kind. Due to this the prank only got an hour of air-time before we had to close it down as Sandy didn't approve of it.

The staff purposely created an exaggerated conversation pretending that YYG would be selling out to Valve. We planned it, and had Mike start the topic weeks ago. It has since been deleted. Unfortunately, we couldn't play it out for the whole day as intended, but we had some fun with it and hope you all enjoyed a bit of drama on your April 1st 2013 :)

Rest assured, YYG are NOT selling out, and your copy of GameMaker is entirely safe. This would never happen in reality - YYG care for their customers and would certainly not pull a crazy stunt like this.

Happy Easter, everyone. Don't shoot the messenger!

Proof:

(originally we were going to use Microsoft, later changed to Valve)

aprilfools.png

#2 Rawrity

Rawrity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 15 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

It's not over yet guys, this is deeper than we first thought.

#3 thecrazygamemaster

thecrazygamemaster

Devcodier

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

whewImage1.jpg

#4 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4274 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

What one now has to consider is that this is posted on what is now actually April Fools for  us Brits.  As a prank it is incredibly elaborate and potentially very damaging. 

#5 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1879 posts

Well, thanks for scaring the absolute crap out of me. :pinch:

#6 sandyd

sandyd

Lord of the YoYo!!

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 141 posts

Em..I DID know, Mike told me but thought it wasn't happening.  My fault.

#7 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

well****.gif

Well sh*t.

#8 DarrenArgo

DarrenArgo

GMC Member

• 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

Yes, the recent stir about YYG selling out was an April Fools joke :)

Unfortunately, while we on the GMC staff had Mike involved, we assumed Sandy knew and he didn't. Due to this the prank only got an hour of air-time before we had to close it down.

Rest assured, YYG are NOT selling out, and your copy of GameMaker is entirely safe. This would never happen in reality - YYG care for their customers and would certainly not pull a crazy stunt like this.

Happy Easter everyone!

Was Valve in on this? If not you may want to do something about people angrily mailing them about costing them money, bad business practices etc.

#9 Derme

Derme

Time for a break.

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Dear GameMaker Community Staff and Mike,

Please never pull a prank this well crafted again, my heart probably can't take another one.

Sincerely,

Derme 

#10 DragonEris

DragonEris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 10 posts

IT WAS AN ELABORATE RUSE

#11 -DarkAceZ-

-DarkAceZ-

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 95 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

wtf?? someone told me that this topic is also a joke! is this true???

#12 >Edward<

>Edward<

Software Demon

• GMC:Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

okay, from what i have read in the official topic.. which got moved back and forth between staff section and public... it was quite serious.... what i dont understand is the date mike posted it and why everything about it got quickly wiped off the public forums... including screenshots... you guys were arguing quite serious about the whole thing and it got mentioned that it is not much about an april prank..... i hope you guys tell the truth....

#13 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

That guy

• Global Moderators
  • 3015 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

When did this happen, and what does this mean for the company, the future of game maker?

Notice the three-letter word "not" there in the title

This is just a very elaborate prank. We took it a bit too far and had to cancel it

#14 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Em..I DID know, Mike told me but thought it wasn't happening.  My fault.

Oh, right. Well...yeah.

#15 mcmonkey

mcmonkey

mcmonkey

• GMC Member
  • 773 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

Original topic in question:

http://tinyurl.com/valvebuysgm

(Note that it's from March 14th, not April 1st...)

Edited by mcmonkey, 31 March 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#16 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

Updated OP.

#17 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

This probably would've gone over better if it was actually on ****ing April 1st. When this was first visible, in most of the world and including where YYG is based, it was Easter. It still is Easter for me.

#18 Super Guy

Super Guy

The Real Superman!

• GMC Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Yep, it is around 8 PM Easter here, so we didn't get it was a joke. Cruel. Made me look stupid. Thanks.

@Colton: You didn't get it was a joke? :P

#19 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

This probably would've gone over better if it was actually on ****ing April 1st. When this was first visible, in most of the world and including where YYG is based, it was Easter. It still is Easter for me.

The plan was for me to move it to The Community at midnight UTC, but Flexaplex moved it several hours earlier as he hadn't seen that message.

#20 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

Though at least this gives me a chance to brofist with Takagi.

Dude, what you said on that topic..is basically identical to what I would've said if I was in the situation.....I'm not even saying this to make a nod to a certain running joke between us. :lol:

#21 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 4371 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

Quite a while ago I have written a post on YoYo's tendency to play PR pranks and jokes. And YoYo has done it again. And it has gone pear-shaped.

If there is a lesson to be learned here, it is no more screwing around on the GMC or any YoYo-owned website.

Maybe you guys should start doing LAN parties and board game nights instead of throwing jokes like this online. At the very least, any jokes raised are better contained that way. What happens in Vegas, should stay in Vegas.

Instead of keeping the lid on what was known to be an internal joke, whoever moved the topic outside leaked it and caused public alarm. This is utter irresponsible behaviour and easily grounds for termination. Whoever did this should confess and resign as a GMC moderator.

I will be leaving the GMC for 1 month in protest of this unprofessional PR prank. This will give you a good enough taste of what it would be like had I actually believed the prank and walked out. Take that 1 month and reflect on yourselves, GMC members deserve better than this.

GameGeisha

#22 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

Oh dear.

#23 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7459 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

I saved an HTML copy of the original topic.

The giveaway was the statement that Valve planned to dump HTML5 and Android export capability. :P Paying good money for a company and their product, and then abandoning one of the most marketable features, isn't a business move Valve would make.

But it was great joke -- nice one, guys.

Edited by chance, 01 April 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#24 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

I saved an HTML copy of the original topic.

As did I.
Flexaplex was the one who moved it..not that it's a secret, I believe TV said that.

GG--that's a bit of an overreaction...Though, personally, I do hate every single last one of you now. /shrugs

#25 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:00 AM

I'm glad most people can see what we were going for. Thank you, we put a lot of work into this :)

#26 CloudBomb

CloudBomb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

I think the bigger issue here is that the information is still out and about while there is a sale going on.

You have your modules (The essential foundation of what makes GM very popular right now) on sale, and at the same time you turn around and tell the world that the modules are worthless now and that there are no longer going to be updates to the software. 

No matter how intelligent one might assume the consumer base is, if I was one of the shareholders for YYG - I would be pretty pissed off. It was a terrible 'joke' in its execution and still has potential to harm their bottom line. The honest to goodness best idea is to eliminate the entire thing and push past it before it spreads further. You can't honestly expect a bunch of random moderators with little to know real long-term business experience to understand or appreciate that perspective, so you end up with a mess.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

That being said, Happy Easter. Eat lots of chocolate. :)

Edited by CloudBomb, 01 April 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#27 Toadsanime

Toadsanime

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Was planning on writing an article up for Coin Arcade on how PR-based April Fool's jokes are more damaging than anything. Seems relevant now.

Its either that or they are trying to cover it up to appear as though its a joke. HTML5 isnt the most marketable do you know what your talking about? All the games they have are on mainly iOS and Android and stuff.

Dude, as bad of a PR move as this was and as harmful as it may have been, there's no conspiracy behind it and you've already had it explained to you.

What exactly is it that's still confusing you? It was an April Fool's joke with fake time-stamped posts to fool people into thinking it was real. They shouldn't have been deleting topics asking what was happening but I imagine some moderator panicked over the uproar and wanted to make an official thread after discussing with other what to do.

Edited by Toadsanime, 01 April 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#28 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

I'm glad most people can see what we were going for. Thank you, we put a lot of work into this :)

Oh yeah, on the prank front this one was an unabashed success. Apart from a few people who disbelieve everything they hear, nobody really doubted it.

#29 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

That guy

• Global Moderators
  • 3015 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

So soon it'll turn april.. And with that april fools. As discussed in the other topic, a good prank idea was to have a "GM sellout". Such a sellout would hence be posted by someone from yoyogames to the moderators first. Then accidentally at 1 april the topic is "accidentally" moved to the spambox (instead of deleted), where users can read it tongue.gif/>/>.

Now during this we should have some role playing game.. Where a discussion is based on "roles", obviously yoyogames themself (nocturne ahead of them) are proud of this partnership. They are happy and think it will bring a lot of good things. I'll be picking up the cynical negative doomsday person (Like I usually am anyways). Then others will defend yoyogames' position point at advantages etc. Just make sure there's a lively discussion.

First course of action should be someone of yoyogames "starting" the discussion.. The basic setting I can think of is currently, it can be changed etc. Just something to get started (btw make that first post asap, so we can have a discussion over a bit of time instead of having 10 posts in 1 day.. OW and obviously make the actual discussion topic a separate one.

-Yoyogames partnered with microsoft, this is thanks to a "connection" sandy still has
-Microsoft likes it to go together with the "education" part microsoft tries to focus.
-This will increase the fundings a lot for yoyogames and they will get a more "professional" backbone for support
-etc etc (we can still edit the first post)

-Now the topic (and why it is posted here for us moderators) is thatthe GMC should be merged with microsoft's developer network (as here)
-How will the moderating team react to this

Now to "publicize" the topic, we can use an undercover account; I made one, better would be if we up the post count a bit to make it less obvious the account was created for this purpose tongue.gif/>:

#30 CloudBomb

CloudBomb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

Oh yeah, on the prank front this one was an unabashed success. Apart from a few people who disbelieve everything they hear, nobody really doubted it.

Except for those who use common sense, education, and logic to determine what things really are. Please feel free to rejoin the IRC channel and call everyone morons again because they didn't fall for this silly prank, that was surely the highlight of my easter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users