#1 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

NOTICE: This project can essentially be labeled as on "hiatus."

Easy Lighting: Studio - Pre-release 4 (UD2)

Welcome to the topic of my still-under-works lighting engine! A while back I had a lighting engine I had been constantly working on for 3 or 4 years called Easy Lighting. That engine was designed for GameMaker versions before studio. That engine has since died at version 7.0.2. I am starting anew because of the differences with Studio and because this seemed an opportune time to address some underlying structure issues that made modification difficult.

The engine presented here was written from scratch, with many improvements towards implementation and flexibility! I can guarantee that if you are looking for beautiful lighting and shadows that are easy to use and quick to set up, then you have come to the right place (or your money back  ;))!

So, what is it that makes this extension worth your time? Well besides it being actively worked on, and built on your suggestions, there are many nifty features it has to offer. Let me name a few:

• Over 40 easy to understand functions providing great flexibility.
  • Full function, argument, and return value documentation provided within the .gex (Yoyo removed this feature)
  • Simple to set up and fully dynamic stencil shadows.
  • Dynamically generated lights.
  • Optimized mult-view support, making local multiplayer, minimaps and/or seperate HUD's simple to work with.
  • Support for both static and dynamic lights simultaneously. 
  • Three different lighting modes, each providing a different feel for your game.
  • Lights blend, brighten and interact with objects, providing a beautiful effect.
  • Functions are designed to work with GameMaker like they were native.
  • Custom error dialogs to help find problems quickly.
  • Developed on user feedback. Something you want added? Let me know!

These are just a few nice things of this engine. There is plenty more to come, along with your suggestions! Check the bottom of this post for an idea/suggestion list.

If you aren't convinced to give this extension a try yet, let me provide some images from the included example. It took about 5-10 minutes from start to finish.

4ycr.png

Note: Object count is wrong in this one, as I forgot to include rotating blocks.
h5uf.png

The screenshot above was taken while running with the "normal" illumination mode. There is also "dull" and "vivid" available, depending on the feel you want for your game. 

This engine was designed for studio, but not for every export package. I only have access to certain packages, and thus can only officially support those packages. Here is a list of supported / working / not-working exports:

Fully Supported:

• Windows
  • Ubuntu

Not Supported, Tested:

• Windows (YYC) - Working

Not Supported, Untested:

• Mac Os X
  • Other YYC Modules
  • iOS

Not Working:

• HTML5
  • Android

Everything not listed or missed is unknown at the moment. If you guys want to play with some of the "Untested" modules to see how they do, that would be great! Let me know how it goes.

NOTICE: This is not the "full release" of this engine, as it is still under works. It is totally usable and has a large range of functionality. However, there may be small/large bugs and lacking features, as well as significant function and argument changes later on. If you have any ideas, bugs to report or suggestions, please let me know!

Download:
Download - 1mb

If feeling adventurous, you can try the next version (which is rough right now) by checking this post: http://gmc.yoyogames...dpost&p=4555993

Idea / Suggestion List:
Note: This list does not guarantee that a suggestion / idea will be implemented.

• User-drawn light support 
  • Dynamic soft shadows
  • Normal mapping
  • Specular lighting
  • Bloom
  • Directional lights (E.g. Sunlight)
  • Illumination detection at a point
  • Light core radius (Added)
  • Automatic shadowshape creation
  • Detecting when inside a light/shadow
  • load/save light state to help with saving/loading games
  • Self-Illumination (Can be faked) -> Intend to improve

Questions and Answers:

Spoiler

Change Logs:
===Pre-Release 4 / (UD2)===
Spoiler

===Pre-Release 3 (UD2/3)===
Spoiler

===Pre-Release 3===
Spoiler

===Pre-Release 2===
Spoiler

Edited by Binsk, 26 May 2015 - 07:09 PM.

NEWS FLASH! You can't get to heaven by your works. No chance. Hopeless. Give up now. No amount of works will get you anywhere, in fact all your efforts have been botched years ago because you already missed perfection the first time you lied, stole, or performed any of those other lovelies.

That said, do you want to go to heaven? Not the hellish picture given by cartoons. You know, the nightmarish one where you are renting a cloud and harp? I mean, holy crap, where did that come from? I am talking about a bonafide city, people, designed by God no less. Heck, read John's Revelation 21 if you want details. Getting to heaven is extremely simple, actually, the how and why is spelled out in Paul's letter to the Romans, summarized in Romans 10:9,10. God lived a perfect life and died in your place, covering every one of your mistakes and failures past and future. All you have to do is believe that He did what he said He did and accept the gift. Bam, you're saved. Done deal. Complicated, no? Questions? PM me.

#2 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 2026 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

You say the lights can't be defined by images anymore?  That makes sense, but I'd say you may be better off having the option.  The reason is that depending on the game, they may want a specific light shape that your "arguments" won't be able to handle.  Light cookies are meant for this.  Also, the shadows could be given a sort of "cookie" as well, assuming it is codable.

I'm glad to see you working on this.  Your lighting engine was one of the better choices and now with GM getting faster it will be even easier for you to make a fast(and powerful) lighting engine, maybe even utilizing the shaders once that gets set up.

My KBInput system is now on the marketplace here.  It wraps up nice and tight GMStudio's input system into a few function calls making a user configurable input system that works the same regardless of what inputs the player has chosen including keyboard, mouse buttons, and gamepad/joysticks using DInput/XInput.  The support forum topic for it is here.

#3 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Hey Kburkhart, thanks for the feedback. I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by giving shadows a 'cookie'? If you could explain that a little better? ;)

In regards to the custom light shapes, I suppose I could add optional support. However, if I was to do that, those lights would mean a lack of compatibility with some later functions (as I can't predict the shape). This is doable, but just letting you know that if I end up adding them, they will bring about some limitations. On the plus side, the kind of things they would disable weren't in the old engine to begin with, so not all that much of a loss.

NEWS FLASH! You can't get to heaven by your works. No chance. Hopeless. Give up now. No amount of works will get you anywhere, in fact all your efforts have been botched years ago because you already missed perfection the first time you lied, stole, or performed any of those other lovelies.

That said, do you want to go to heaven? Not the hellish picture given by cartoons. You know, the nightmarish one where you are renting a cloud and harp? I mean, holy crap, where did that come from? I am talking about a bonafide city, people, designed by God no less. Heck, read John's Revelation 21 if you want details. Getting to heaven is extremely simple, actually, the how and why is spelled out in Paul's letter to the Romans, summarized in Romans 10:9,10. God lived a perfect life and died in your place, covering every one of your mistakes and failures past and future. All you have to do is believe that He did what he said He did and accept the gift. Bam, you're saved. Done deal. Complicated, no? Questions? PM me.

#4 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 2026 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

A "cookie" when talking about light and shadow in general refers to the "internal" shape.  For example say you have a grid casting a shadow, since that is complex geometry you could emulate it by only creating shadow based on an image which is similar to the grid.  I'll link to some example images from Unity, since they are the easiest to find and understand.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/HOWTO-LightCookie.html, and http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/class-Light.html

Notice how in these images the illusion of complex shadows is created via the image.  In general, this is like simple light shapes, but if you used something like it to give your shadows a "texture" then it could look even better.  Say you are doing a top down view and creating a shadow off of a building or something.  Generally you would only get a single color, but instead if you could create variation in the shadow itself, using an image, you could emulate that light is getting through the "windows" of the building.  Or maybe on the edges of the shadow you get some variety, which would emulate maybe something on the roof instead of a simple square top(in the would be 3d world that the shadow is trying to emulate).

My KBInput system is now on the marketplace here.  It wraps up nice and tight GMStudio's input system into a few function calls making a user configurable input system that works the same regardless of what inputs the player has chosen including keyboard, mouse buttons, and gamepad/joysticks using DInput/XInput.  The support forum topic for it is here.

#5 kaano12345

kaano12345

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Hello,

The Extensions will not add by my Studio HTML5?...

And the Example going too not..

PLEASE help..:(

#6 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

Hello,

The Extensions will not add by my Studio HTML5?...
And the Example going too not..

PLEASE help.. :(

Hello Kaano. I am terribly sorry to say that HTML5 will not work with this engine. I should have mentioned this above. It is because HTML5 does not currently support drawing primitives. When Yoyo adds this support, then this engine SHOULD work.

#7 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

Alright, slight progress update, peeps. This update is taking a long while because I am trying to get dynamic soft shadows working.

I am coming across many issues with blending the penumbra with other shadows (and a few detail issues at really close ranges), so hopefully I can get this done in this update. It is glitchy, but I have it partially working. Here are two screenshots, one showing the basics so far, and the second showing what it looks like with the new "debug mode" I added:

example1y.png

example2a.png

I have also successfully added culling, so only the needed sides of the shapes draw shadows. I was originally planting all shadows (for each light) into their own primitives, as I recall Yoyo saying single complex objects are faster than multiple simple objects. However, for some reason after certain vertex counts it wouldn't add anymore. As such, I wasn't able to add that speed boost.

Also, soft shadows require quite a bit of extra calculations. So far, they have been relatively fast, however would you guys like an option to toggle them? Yes would mean I would have to write two COMPLETELY different rendering processes, one for softies and one without. This is your guys' extension, though, so if you guys want it I will add it. No feedback will be assumed as a "no." :P

#8 Consumer

Consumer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 143 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

Looks absolutely beautiful. I would definitely vote for having soft shadows being optional.

I was not able to open the attached demo, for an error "cannot find the specified path", so I was not able to personally test the performance. I know that many lighting engines excel with high framerates at lower resolutions, such as 640x480. However, how does it hold up at higher resolutions like 720p or 1080p with similar quantities of static and dynamic ? Simply curious; when I do get the files to work, I'll be able to play around with it myself.

Regardless, looks like fantastic work. I greatly appreciate the fact that you are building this from the ground up specifically for Studio (though, nobody cannot love 8.1 for what it is!). With all of the anticipation for Studio's 1.2 features, do you plan on taking advantage of the pixel shaders for the actual lighting and shadow-drawing portion of the engine (as I realize you noted many other potential pixel shader effects you are considering), assuming they meet the purposes?

#9 VanDykeConnor

VanDykeConnor

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Download link appears to be broken

#10 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

@Consumer, Thank you, I will take your opinion into account. :) hum... not sure about the error, what did you try exactly?

As for the high res, I haven't done any significant tests. However, I did try it at 1080p on the specs stated under the original image and it ran fine up to 2 dozen shadows or so (Remember, the circles are defined at 36 points, way higher than needed. Normally you would only need 12 or 16, and walls can span much further).

I do not know just how far I will be going with shaders. I am inexperienced in that regard, though I am willing to learn. I won't be making any guarantees as of now, but I can say that anything that can make the engine faster and more beautiful will be attempted. 

@VanDykeConnor, thank you for letting me know. I put up a temporary mirror until host-a.net is back online. 

#11 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 2026 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

I'm not sure exactly how much the shaders will help with shadows, as they are more meant to change rendered geometry.  3d shadows are different from 2d shadows, and I'm not seeing how shaders would help much with the 2d shadows, except maybe if your rendering had a "post-process" method, for example to blur the shadows through shaders.

On the other hand, I think that when 1.2 with LLVM compilation comes out, you will get instant much faster results without any change to your code.  This is because(if I'm understanding it right) the parts that slow down your shadows(and lights) are the coded calculations for the most part.  I'm sure the drawing itself may do so as well, but I'd think the code is the bottleneck, and with code getting compiled to a lower level it will be much faster.

#12 PeterXer

PeterXer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Will you add support for MacOSX, ios, android and html 5 later?

Peter(me= Noob; //So true!

#13 christpatillo

christpatillo

GMC Member

• 8 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

You should make the boss and the parts sprites have the same origin!9.jpg 

#14 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

@Peter, probably not, with the exception of HTML5. However, this doesn't necessarily mean they won't work on those platforms. I can't support OS X and Android because I do not own systems that run them. iOS, I am not willing to pay for, and HTML5 doesn't support primitives (which is used to draw pretty much everything in this engine). I suspect Yoyo will eventually add primitive support for HTML5 if possible, so it should work when that happens. Though, for the other platforms don't hold your breath. You can always try the engine on those platforms. Theoretically they SHOULD work without issue, as everything is written in GML. I just can't guarantee it. 

@CP, um... what?

EDIT 04/18/13:
@ All, slight progress update. Soft shadows are giving me a heck of a hard time with blending, as well as creating a few other bugs. To get soft shadows PROPERLY working, I likely have to re-write how surfaces are drawn to and blended (specifically for soft shadows, stencil should stay the same). Now order matters as well, and I am coming across weird glitches with the penumbra where the beginning and end of a shadow shape connects among other things. Also, I did something that is causing shadows to be drawn a pixel or two off of the shape in spots, so that is a must fix before releasing the update. With all this, either 1) don't expect an update for a while, or 2) expect an update with just bug fixes and no major new features (aka, soft shadows and such). 

Edited by Scyler_27, 18 April 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#15 Sasula

Sasula

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Looks good but when i try to add the gex file nothing appears and if i try to open the example file i get "data error" and thats it o.0
It seems like the files are corrupt

#16 Consumer

Consumer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

Definitely, the penumbras do not have to be a priority at all! I was simply ecstatic seeing that image you posted of it. The engine is impressive even without the soft shadows, anyways.

Best of luck resolving the issues and I'm sure I speak for most Studio users who run across this that this is definitely worth the wait, soft shadows or not!

#17 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

*Sigh*... Frustrating news. Don't expect an update, at least for a while. GameMaker is becoming a pain in the butt to work with. Here is what is going on:

1. I had a nice optimization for shadow drawing that combined shapes into a single primitive. Had to remove that because GameMaker apparently limits how many triangles can be defined in a primitive. Joy. 

2. I added culling to speed things up. Turns out there is a small issue when drawing shadow caps and shadows together. Although they are drawn based on the exact same data, from the exact same source, they are drawn in slightly different positions revealing an ugly border around certain sides of objects (which became noticeable with the culling). Figured it was an issue with me somewhere until I discovered that (depending on the platform being compiled for) they are offset and drawn differently for each system! For example, the shadow caps are drawn on the shape perfectly for ubuntu, though the shadows (based on the same points, mind you) are drawn offset in a weird fashion, mostly left and top. However for windows, the shadow caps are offset top and left while the shadows themselves now have border issues around the ENTIRE object! The ONLY difference I can find between the two 'calculations' is that one uses a trianglelist while the other uses a trianglefan. 

There are a few other things I have managed to work around, but this is making things extremely complicated. I was hoping just to add some OS-specific scaling to certain values to fix the offsets, but it is confusing in that there is an offset between two shapes which are drawn with the SAME VALUES... so I am baffled as to how that is happening and how to fix it. As such, I have to figure out how to beat GM into submission and do what I want it to, which as far as I can see, will not be simple. 

Sorry about the delays, but it turns out multi-platform is even more annoying than I first figured. 

[/annoyed slightly informative rant]

Edited by Scyler_27, 05 May 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#18 SEnergy

SEnergy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

1. does this support automatic mesh creation from sprite?
2. can you force lights ignore everything and just act like in empty room without objects (something like lamp on top of something)
3. I wanted something more but I don;t remember what it was... damn

hxw3mGK.png

#19 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

1. Hum, that is a possible future feature I could add. I will add it to the suggestion list.

2. In the next version, given it comes out (see above rant), I already have support for that added.

3. Fair enough.

#20 SEnergy

SEnergy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

1. Hum, that is a possible future feature I could add. I will add it to the suggestion list.

2. In the next version, given it comes out (see above rant), I already have support for that added.

3. Fair enough.

well so far Im using TLighting, which is supporting automatic mesh creation from sprite, but afaik it doesn;t support that lamp thing, which I'm looking into :/

hxw3mGK.png

#21 alexandervrs

alexandervrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

Looks nice, weird enough though, your gmz appears to have some 
 characters all over the .gmx files plus illegal characters like : in the extension filename.

#22 Sokaz

Sokaz

Who's that pokemon!?

• GMC Member
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:49 AM

For some reason it wont let me install it.

J65qTU9.pngen_generic_rgb_wo_45.pngktyRU3y.png

#23 j0nteh

j0nteh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Yup, something's wrong

#24 Sasula

Sasula

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

Still not able to add it.

#25 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Alright guys, I will try to get a working link up when I can. Here is my situation:

1. I am using Ubuntu and WINE to develop this engine (as that is the OS I have). Version 1.5.29 of WINE worked almost flawlessly, then I made the mistake of updating to 1.5.31 which broke it completely. I don't know how to get version 1.5.29 back, and I did try the latest stable version 1.4.1 which cannot compile on ANY platforms.

2. The release candidate for 1.6 of WINE is avaliable, and I do not know if it works with GM. I have yet to try it as I am stuck with an unstable tethered 3G connection for internet for the time being, which is not going to like downloading a couple hundred megs (not to mention I have very limited bandwidth).

3. Before this, I was trying to get the next version of EasyLighting finished for you guys. It was complete in features, though GM was giving me some extremely annoying problems that I was trying to work around. Once I can actually develop agian, hopefully I can get it all working quickly and update the .gex. Until then, I can't update.

Hopefully I will be good to go in a week or so, though I also have summer classes so this isn't a priority. I will update things when I can.

EDIT: Got Windows 7 running on vBox thanks to a free update disk. Who woulda thought! Heading home later this week, so probably won't work on this particular project until I get back.

Edited by Scyler_27, 19 June 2013 - 10:29 PM.

#26 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Whoa Wow that is impressive...

Assuming I helped you out in a questions and answers topic won't you return the favour by helping me with one my coding problems, or recommend some one who can chat to me over pms about helping and how to overcome my obstacles, after all lets just say I did help you or them or many people with similar problems, in that topic.

Here i have a topic for those of you struggling with type writer text and mugshots in your games especially if it is a rpg see the link below for more info

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=619103

almost no code needed, only uses two events.

click here for the l8est version of feed the alien pizza, it has some major polished up features.

#27 SEnergy

SEnergy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

so are u gonna update soon ?: P

hxw3mGK.png

#28 Director_X

Director_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

Could we get some example ROOMs for:

- Fireplace/bonfire lighting. ((flickering effect)

- Candlelights. (flickering effect)

- Torch beam.

- Lasers.

- Explosions.

- Metal Grind Sparks/ Blow torch/ electrics/ Fireflies.

- Fireworks/particle enhacements.

- Dull low watt lights / bulbs/ moon.

- Sun light/ flares/ high overexposed.

- L.E.D.s / Neon Signs.

- Reflective surfaces / Water / Florescent liquids.

+ AMBIENT MOVING (daycycle/nightcycle) moon/ sun lights with entire room mass object shadow casting!! :whistling: (+ cloud shadows!!)

etc. :thumbsup:

Also, can you please make it work with Android and iOS please. :)

Can this be used for Commercial games?

Many thanks.

Edited by Director_X, 05 August 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#29 kafka

kafka

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Is this getting updated???

#30 alexandervrs

alexandervrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

I fixed the gmz project with 7zip, removed the illegal characters and reduced the example png file and config filesize so it is a smaller download, here's the gmz for anyone that needs to use this until Scyler updates us with a working example. :)

Improvement that could be done,

ls_system_update() & ls_system_draw() should check if the surface exists before trying to do any drawing (and recreate the missing surfaces/lights etc. in the process). Currently the example bombs if you try to switch to fullscreen.

And the penumbra sprite should be added as a resource tree sprite instead of using sprite_add()

EDIT: Fixed the broken gmz link, seems my Dropbox used all its bandwidth.

Edited by alexandervrs, 18 September 2013 - 07:11 AM.

#31 Director_X

Director_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

I fixed the gmz project with 7zip, removed the illegal characters and reduced the example png file and config filesize so it is a smaller download, here's the gmz for anyone that needs to use this until Scyler updates us with a working example. :)

Improvement that could be done,

ls_system_update() & ls_system_draw() should check if the surface exists before trying to do any drawing (and recreate the missing surfaces/lights etc. in the process). Currently the example bombs if you try to switch to fullscreen.

And the penumbra sprite should be added as a resource tree sprite instead of using sprite_add()

Thanks for the update. :) +rep.

#32 GrayKnight2k

GrayKnight2k

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:31 AM

Is it possible for us to make this change or does the author have to do this?  I tried but cannot seem to view the code to change it.

#33 alexandervrs

alexandervrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Is it possible for us to make this change or does the author have to do this?  I tried but cannot seem to view the code to change it.

Yes, you just need to go into the .gmx folder and edit the Extension's .gml file

#34 GrayKnight2k

GrayKnight2k

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:05 AM

Thanks.  Unfortunately I am receiving an error.

"Update: Options must be updated to new Configurations.  Press OK to save project with new configs" OK

Error: "The system cannot find the path specified."  OK

"An error occurred while writing project Easy Lighting Studio"

Edited by GrayKnight2k, 13 August 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#35 alexandervrs

alexandervrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

If you are using the gmz or gex provided in the 1st post of the topic, it will not work. Use the gmz I posted a couple posts above.
Also this sounds like you are trying to save the project but the .gmx folder has different name from the .project.gmx file. The project folder and the .project.gmx file must have the same name. e.g. folder: MyProject.gmx,  file inside: MyProject.project.gmx

#36 111Studio

111Studio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

So I'm trying to work a way to make the surface draw with rotating views. If you could include this functionality, that'd be great. Right now I have to draw to the entire room and that's just inefficient if you've got lots of lights and a large room. I suppose I could only activate lights if they're in the view though.

#37 desolatorXT

desolatorXT

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

GM: Studio Standard (v.1.1.1044) doesn't let me to install the extention. Is there something i am missing? (the gex file provided cannot be added to installed extention packages list)

- Random Retro Space Shooter: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=605687

- Nameless TDS game: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=453982 (Project is on hold)

#38 111Studio

111Studio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

Desolator, check out this post: http://gmc.yoyogames...75264&p=4356287

#39 desolatorXT

desolatorXT

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

Desolator, check out this post: http://gmc.yoyogames...75264&p=4356287

Many thanks, i've been using the Gm7 and 8 versions of this extention for years so i don't need the example gmz. I have extracted the gex file out of the gmz file you provided and GM:Studio allows it to be installed. Here is a download link (gex only): http://www.mediafire...9cmrlekdizopqd4

P.S. It has been 5 months since the last update! Hurry up scyler :(

Edited by desolatorXT, 19 August 2013 - 12:00 PM.

- Nameless TDS game: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=453982 (Project is on hold)

#40 Samovar

Samovar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

For some reason, even with the .gmz that alexander has kindly edited for us, when I click to find the .gex and I select the one that scyler posted it doesn't show up on the list to install. Am I missing something? Is there something I need to do with the .gmz other than leave it in the same folder?

Sorry for the inexperience, I never installed any extensions, but this one is so awesome and I really wanted to try it out.

#41 desolatorXT

desolatorXT

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

For some reason, even with the .gmz that alexander has kindly edited for us, when I click to find the .gex and I select the one that scyler posted it doesn't show up on the list to install. Am I missing something? Is there something I need to do with the .gmz other than leave it in the same folder?

Sorry for the inexperience, I never installed any extensions, but this one is so awesome and I really wanted to try it out.

Extract the gex file contained on the gmz file that alexandervrs provided, or else you can download the gex file from the link i posted above.

The gex file that scyler provided is not compatible with GM:Studio and cannot be installed.

#42 Samovar

Samovar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

The gex file you posted gave me this error while trying to compile:

^
at position 10: Unexpected symbol in expression.

Also I'm using pro 8.0

Edited by Samovar, 21 August 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#43 desolatorXT

desolatorXT

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

The gex file you posted gave me this error while trying to compile:

^
at position 10: Unexpected symbol in expression.

Also I'm using pro 8.0

I believe that this version of the extention is for GM: Studio. Try the version of easy lighting posted on the following thread which was written for GM7 and 8:

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=405212

#44 Da Chatter

Da Chatter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

I have the latest steam updated GM studio 1.2

And when importing the example I get a data error.

This is not working :(

#45 Samovar

Samovar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

I believe that this version of the extention is for GM: Studio. Try the version of easy lighting posted on the following thread which was written for GM7 and 8:

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=405212

Thank you very much. That version looks a lot more primitive than this one, still it works.

Edited by Samovar, 22 August 2013 - 04:57 AM.

#46 pyfgcr

pyfgcr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:00 AM

Both host-a.net link from Scyler_27 and dropbox link from alexandervrs are broken. I only have a .gex file with no ideas how to use of these function. Could anyone upload the documentation so I can use the extension?  

#47 pyfgcr

pyfgcr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

bump.

Anyone keep the example files? Please upload it

#48 pyfgcr

pyfgcr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

I used the extension and get those errors:

Error : gml_Script_ls_light_create(1) : no references to arguments 5,6 but references arguments 0,1,2,3,4,7
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_destroy(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 0
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_set_pos(1) : no references to argument  but references arguments 0,1,2
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_set_rot(1) : no references to argument  but references arguments 0,1
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_set_static(1) : no references to argument  but references arguments 0,1
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_set_spread(1) : no references to argument  but references arguments 0,1
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_set_color(1) : no references to argument  but references arguments 0,1
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_get_x(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 0
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_get_y(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 0
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_get_rot(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 0
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_get_static(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 0
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_get_spread(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 0
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_get_color(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 0
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_manual_update(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 0
Error : gml_Script_ls_light_surface_draw(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 0
Error : gml_Script_ls_shadow_create(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 
Error : gml_Script_ls_shadow_destroy(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 0
Error : gml_Script_ls_shadow_addpoint_polar(1) : no references to argument  but references arguments 0,1,2
Error : gml_Script_ls_shadow_addpoint_cartesian(1) : no references to argument  but references arguments 0,1,2
Error : gml_Script_ls_shadow_setpoint_polar(1) : no references to argument  but references arguments 0,1,2,3
Error : gml_Script_ls_shadow_setpoint_cartesian(1) : no references to argument  but references arguments 0,1,2,3
Error : gml_Script_ls_shadow_attach_pos(1) : no references to argument  but references arguments 0,1,2
Error : gml_Script_ls_shadow_detach_pos(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 0
Error : gml_Script_ls_shadow_modify_pos(1) : no references to argument  but references arguments 0,1,2
Error : gml_Script_ls_shadow_clearpoints(1) : no references to argument  but references argument 0

, in Compile Window. The game then won't run

Edited by pyfgcr, 14 September 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#49 frankbsad

frankbsad

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:03 AM

does anyone know how to get a flickering effect or change the radius of a light?

dbjO13c.png

twitter:@angrydomegames: Website: angrydomegames.com

#50 airfight

airfight

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

the link is not effective.