NOTICE: This project can essentially be labeled as on "hiatus."
Easy Lighting: Studio - Pre-release 4 (UD2)
Welcome to the topic of my still-under-works lighting engine! A while back I had a lighting engine I had been constantly working on for 3 or 4 years called Easy Lighting. That engine was designed for GameMaker versions before studio. That engine has since died at version 7.0.2. I am starting anew because of the differences with Studio and because this seemed an opportune time to address some underlying structure issues that made modification difficult.
The engine presented here was written from scratch, with many improvements towards implementation and flexibility! I can guarantee that if you are looking for beautiful lighting and shadows that are easy to use and quick to set up, then you have come to the right place (or your money back )!
So, what is it that makes this extension worth your time? Well besides it being actively worked on, and built on your suggestions, there are many nifty features it has to offer. Let me name a few:
- Over 40 easy to understand functions providing great flexibility.
- Full function, argument, and return value documentation provided
within the .gex(Yoyo removed this feature)
- Simple to set up and fully dynamic stencil shadows.
- Dynamically generated lights.
- Optimized mult-view support, making local multiplayer, minimaps and/or seperate HUD's simple to work with.
- Support for both static and dynamic lights simultaneously.
- Three different lighting modes, each providing a different feel for your game.
- Lights blend, brighten and interact with objects, providing a beautiful effect.
- Functions are designed to work with GameMaker like they were native.
- Custom error dialogs to help find problems quickly.
- Developed on user feedback. Something you want added? Let me know!
These are just a few nice things of this engine. There is plenty more to come, along with your suggestions! Check the bottom of this post for an idea/suggestion list.
If you aren't convinced to give this extension a try yet, let me provide some images from the included example. It took about 5-10 minutes from start to finish.
Note: Object count is wrong in this one, as I forgot to include rotating blocks.
The screenshot above was taken while running with the "normal" illumination mode. There is also "dull" and "vivid" available, depending on the feel you want for your game.
This engine was designed for studio, but not for every export package. I only have access to certain packages, and thus can only officially support those packages. Here is a list of supported / working / not-working exports:
Not Supported, Tested:
- Windows (YYC) - Working
Not Supported, Untested:
- Mac Os X
- Other YYC Modules
Everything not listed or missed is unknown at the moment. If you guys want to play with some of the "Untested" modules to see how they do, that would be great! Let me know how it goes.
NOTICE: This is not the "full release" of this engine, as it is still under works. It is totally usable and has a large range of functionality. However, there may be small/large bugs and lacking features, as well as significant function and argument changes later on. If you have any ideas, bugs to report or suggestions, please let me know!
Download - 1mb
If feeling adventurous, you can try the next version (which is rough right now) by checking this post: http://gmc.yoyogames...dpost&p=4555993
Idea / Suggestion List:
Note: This list does not guarantee that a suggestion / idea will be implemented.
- User-drawn light support
- Dynamic soft shadows
- Normal mapping
- Specular lighting
- Directional lights (E.g. Sunlight)
- Illumination detection at a point
- Light core radius (Added)
- Automatic shadowshape creation
- Detecting when inside a light/shadow
- load/save light state to help with saving/loading games
- Self-Illumination (Can be faked) -> Intend to improve
Questions and Answers:
===Pre-Release 4 / (UD2)===
===Pre-Release 3 (UD2/3)===
Edited by Binsk, 26 May 2015 - 07:09 PM.