daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

natural_gm_text_by_daspirit-d5y8dap.png

My Aim:

The main objective of this project is to create a better, cleaner and faster editor for GM:Studio. Some view GM:Studio's current IDE to be ugly and obtrusive. Others simply yearn for new features. I draw a lot of inspiration from more professional tools such as Visual Studio and Qt Creator. My aim is to make this the best and more productive IDE for editing GameMaker Studio Projects.

Features:

• Movable and dockable trees and toolbars. Customize however you want. You're also able to move toolbars around. If anything is in your way, you can get rid of it.
  • A welcome screen. Instead of that annoying start screen that GM Studio starts with, there is a new welcome screen which lists recent files and also has buttons for starting new projects or loading existing ones.
  • Work on a new project with saving it. Start working immediately, without having to choose a project location.
  • Multiple projects. The root of all resource trees are now project names. This lets you view and edit multiple projects simultaneously. You're allowed to set an active project on which the toolbar creates new resources in.
  • Tabbed Resources. No more having to sort out windows within windows, you're able to switch and navigate through resources much easier.
  • Split views. Simultaneously edit different resources and/or resource types at once. Plus, each split view has it's own tabs for organization.
  • Open resources in an external window. This way, you can finally work on dual monitors. Or, if you work on a single monitor and like using external windows, it's your choice.
  • Cross Platform. Want to edit on a Linux or Mac? As this is written with the Qt library, this program can be compiled to work on all main Operating Systems.
  • High Performance. Because Natural GM is coded in C++, it is very faster than C# (which GM:Next will be written with).

Coming Soon:

• A script highlighter with code folding.

Planned:

• Preprocessors. I'm not sure if I would be able to implement this, but imagine the possibilities! The program would be able to remove/add code depending on the OS or even if you're debugging or not.
  • Single object text editor. You'll be able to edit multiple events at once. There will be options to use the original editing scheme.
  • An easier room editor. I would like to create something like GMare combined with the current GM:Studio room editor. If possible (and really don't know if it will be), I will attempt to add a 3D room editor.
  • Interval-based Backups. The same thing that current versions of Microsoft Word has. Every few minutes, the software makes a backup that you can retrieve if anything happens to your project.
  • GMX project folder clean up. In the current version of GameMaker Studio, if you start removing resources, they stay in the folder. I will add built in support to clean up the folder.

Recent Screenshot(s):
natural_gm_screenshot_3_by_daspirit-d5xs

Other Screenshot(s):

Spoiler

Download:
Windows: Click Me!
Linux: Coming soon!

Github: [Link]

I am not responsible for any damage that this does to your computer. This application saves a settings file to %appdata%/DHtheProgrammer for now. That is subject to change.

Notes:

• At the moment, you cannot save, create or modify resources. You can load and modify scripts, however.
  • If you have any loading errors, be sure to open and resave the project in GM:Studio first (an older project might have different structures).

Current Issues:

• Right clicking on a empty resource tree will cause a crash.
  • The object structure is not correctly loaded.
  • You cannot load two different groups of the same name properly.

Help Me:
If anyone also wants to help me, don't hesitate to send me a PM! There are a lot of things I can get help with including, but not limited to:

• Programming. You must know C++ and/or Qt in order to help me in this field.
  • Graphics. Some of my graphics and/or the free graphics I find on the internet might not be the best. You can help me improve them.
  • Compiling. I need someone with a Mac to compile a Mac version, otherwise I cannot make one. You must have Qt and QScintilla installed (you can install them pretty easily).
  • Ideas. The most simplest of what you can do. If you have an idea, I have the possibly to add it in. Or, if there's anything you don't like, don't be afraid to post about it here.
  • Beta Testing. You can become a beta tester to help me see if you get any errors. It doesn't matter which Operating System you're using. You get to use this early while confirming to me that this works!

Edited by daspirit, 02 April 2013 - 09:41 PM.

Natural GM, a free and cross-platform alternative IDE for GM:Studio written in C++.

#2 3dman101

3dman101

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 544 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

Your IDE is looking promising, I'll try to help you and Jobo out as best I can. I don't think my own project will be finished, we should try and get more of the community involved with these!

It would be best to pick either your IDE or Jobo's and have an open-source community project.

Btw, I really like the logo you designed! ;)

#3 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:31 AM

Thank you, I have been focusing on the user experience most importantly. I have finished adding a recent files list as well as storing a window's state and geometry in a settings files. As I have already created the code for editing scripts, it should be added soon, just need to rewrite a few stuff for support for dual windows.

Although I try to do my best to document my project, I do not wish to make my project open source. The problem is that I don't want others to edit this project to create, load, etc anything other than GameMaker Studio files. This software will always be free and I am able to share the source with whoever asks nicely.

Haha, the logo was the first thing I designed. I wanted something professional and clean looking and I got it. :P

I'll try to work on this on the weekend and hopefully I'll get a more recent screenshot up.

Natural GM, a free and cross-platform alternative IDE for GM:Studio written in C++.

#4 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

It's been two days. No one takes interest?

I updated screenshots with more recent ones. As you can see, I have basic script loading and editing. My next step is saving and creating. I'd like to have some feedback!

Edited by daspirit, 09 March 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#5 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

I take a lot of interest in this actually, since I'm also making and IDE for GM games. It's called "adventure window". I don't have access to my PC, but this looks rather nice.

Does it actually save the projects as GMZ and/or GM81? I'd be willing to collaborate with you on this if you'd like, I was thinking we could somehow implement my IDE as an optional tool in the package.

I look forward to downloading it. :)

Feel free to send me a pm if you'd like to collaborate. I've been working on my IDE since December 2012 and this could be a major expansion to my project if give the permission. :)
Spoiler

#6 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 762 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

I'm not looking for one, but if I would, I'd use this.

The pie_wrap & move_script tabs almost got me though.

#7 joshuaallen64

joshuaallen64

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 778 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

I'm very excited for this. The multi monitor, multi project, and tabs would make my life so much easier.

Can you explain the single object text editor a bit more?

#8 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

By single object text editor, I mean seeing the events as functions. I've haven't decided how exactly it will go but something like this:
#event create()
// This is the create event.

#event step()
// This is the step event.

#event collision(obj_enemy)
// Collision with an enemy object
Obviously, it won't all just be like this. There will be options to switch between this and something like the event view that's already in GM:Studio. I've read a lot of posts where people wanted this feature, so I am adding it.

I want my program to be feature heavy. The goal of this project is to make everything easier and faster for the user.

Edited by daspirit, 10 March 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#9 joshuaallen64

joshuaallen64

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 778 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

I would only want something like that if I was able to collapse the code
+  #event create()   
   // This is the create event

-  #event step()...

-  #event collision(obj_enemy)...

#10 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

Yes, there will be collapsing code. I am using the Scintilla library for code editing, so I only need to write the highlighter (the highlighter code would know where the correct keywords are, and therefore know how to collapse them by itself).

It might take a while before I make the highlighter though as it is not high on my priority list. I want to add everything around the scripts first (renaming, saving scripts, mapping the cut/copy/paste/undo/redo, creating new empty scripts and opening/moving scripts to a separate window). As you can see, I still have a lot of work, but it will come! :)

I'll keep you all updated on my progress! I might even put out a demo soon, so you can all get a taste of how smooth and flexible everything is!

#11 Primoz128

Primoz128

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

Why in the world, would you go on an recreate GM's IDE ? Unless your a part of a big professional team, dedicated to it as a job or atleast free time, you will not get to the usefulness of GM in ages.

Everyone would love to have something more, in GM's IDE, but recreating it, isn't a good idea.
I am not saying that you should not do it, but that it's a waste of time, cross-platform feature doesn't matter, cause you can easly put a Linux on any machine, and emulate GM to there for example.

Looking for a coding partner for my space RTS solar conquest project. More information: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=563123&hl=

#12 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Let me say this - who cares what I do? This is my hobby. I'm having fun doing. Plus, it's not going to be exactly the same. I'm adding a few new features to increase productivity. I'm not creating an alternative software, just an IDE. IDEs aren't difficult to create, especially with the library I'm using. Qt has a built in form editor. I just design what everything looks like there, set the button's functions and that's it.

I'm not able to use the ugly official GM:Studio IDE properly anyway. Its layout breaks if Windows text is scaled more than the default (mine is, because I have a high DPI screen). Because YYG said they weren't going to fix this, I'm fixing it with my own IDE.

Furthermore, a native application is always better than an emulated one, both in terms of performance and memory usage.

Just wait until I release a demo. I guarantee that you'll want to use this over the official one. Mine just works... naturally.

#13 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hello all, I updated the first post with a new screenshot.

In it, you can see how I closed the resource treeview. The treeview is dockable and closable. You can right click on the menu bar to get it back. Also, I have two scripts being edited in a split-view. You can control how much you see of a single script. Notice how on the first script, you can see a Welcome tab. That's because I didn't close the welcome screen. With this, you'll be able to edit different resources simultaneously. My next step is to add opening resources in a separate window. This is how "multi-monitor" support is implemented. You'll be able to have two resource editing windows, each with split-view support. That means that if you have a multi-monitor set up, you'll be able to view 4 different resources at once if you'd like.

And yes! I've started on the code highlighter. I've been playing around with it and I have it all figured out. The syntax highlighter will be fast, with keyword checking being O(1). I've said it before and I'll say it again, there will be code folding too, as well as auto-complete. I'll try and finish the syntax coloring this weekend or possibly next. :)

#14 Overloaded

Overloaded

Oneirophobia

• GMC Member
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

This look very interesting, especially cross-platform... Keep up the good work!!Posted ImagePosted Image

gmc_signature.png

Upcoming 2D Turn-Based RPG. You can visit our website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Check out my GM Marketplace Assets!

Follow me on Twitter: @OVLDD

#15 ChaosMaker

ChaosMaker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 289 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

looks nice

Waiting for download...

Edited by ChaosMaker, 13 March 2013 - 03:37 AM.

#16 famous

famous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 170 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Syntax Highlighting - Scintilla. What about Plugins?
An oversized signature with elements unreadable in light theme:

#17 slojanko

slojanko

HARD GAMER

• GMC Member
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

This looks really nice. Just remember to upload it as soon as possible!

Games in progress:

The unexpected: [--------------------]

My examples on YYG sandbox

My games on GameJolt

#18 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for your support, everyone! It really makes me want to work harder on this.

Syntax Highlighting - Scintilla. What about Plugins?

While I'm not planning it now, there is a chance that I can add it in easily. I found a plugin loader class in Qt, and all plugins would have to be written in C++ (I can add the plugin editor directly to the program too). I want to get basic functionality out first before I start adding in customizing options.

Now, there's something I want to ask everyone. I've been debating about getting rid of the green tick present in the script editor. I'm thinking that instead, when you save the application, all scripts that you changed would be saved too automatically. This makes the behavior more like a C++/C#/etc IDE. The disadvantage is that you obviously can't revert changes, but seeing as how in other IDEs I don't need to, I don't think this is a problem. Plus, it would make the program faster and use less memory if I don't have to load all of those buttons and their functionalists in each tab. What do you think?

Edited by daspirit, 13 March 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#19 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

I'm downloading. I'll probably update with a little feedback in a few minutes.

My posts are my own views and opinions... Unless they are yours too, in which case I think you're a very intelligent and handsome individual (I think you are anyway!)

#20 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

Thanks Jobo! For those who didn't notice, I linked to an early demo on the first post. There is no saving yet, but it can load the structure of sprites, backgrounds and objects. You can also edit scripts (but like I said no saving).

The demo is mainly so you guys can get the feel of this program. I don't want this program to be mine. I want it to be for everyone to use. I'll accept any suggestions. Please keep in mind though, that this is a VERY early demo.

I'll post a link to a Linux version as soon as I can get around it. I'm not sure when this will be as I might have to wait until Ubuntu 13.04 comes out. If anyone wants to compile for me instead, then PM me!

Edited by daspirit, 17 March 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#21 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

You should seriously open source it so people can add their own features and add their own compilers. I'd be more than willing to make an open source html5 export, and I would love to use this IDE for that. JavaScript is easy as crap and should really be free. Since it isn't free in GM:Studio, I figured why not make one myself? I would've done this a long time ago but there's a road block - I need a free IDE and a means to read and write to a gm project file. lateral GM isn't what I'm looking for - its written in java and I'd highly prefer c++.
Spoiler

#22 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

You should seriously open source it so people can add their own features and add their own compilers. I'd be more than willing to make an open source html5 export, and I would love to use this IDE for that. JavaScript is easy as crap and should really be free. Since it isn't free in GM:Studio, I figured why not make one myself? I would've done this a long time ago but there's a road block - I need a free IDE and a means to read and write to a gm project file. lateral GM isn't what I'm looking for - its written in java and I'd highly prefer c++.

I'm really sorry, but it would be against GameMaker Studio's EULA to do something like that.

You must not: Create data or executable programs which mimic data or functionality in the Software;

The best I could possibly do is to release the source to load .gmx files but only that. That's the only way I can help you. Even then it's not difficult to load them. You can use TinyXML2 and learn the file format. You can download Qt yourself and learn how to use it if you want to make your own IDE. It has a designer, so creating a UI is easy.

This project is meant to be an alternative to GameMaker, not a brand new game maker.

I have considered making this project open source, but I don't want to risk getting into legal trouble.

As I've said somewhere earlier in this topic, I might add plugin functionality (and it's easy for me to add). That's the closest you can get to editing this project for now. However, you cannot release an open source exporter to public.

#23 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:56 AM

Alright, no this doesn't break the EULA, why do you think Enigma,LateralGM, and Tuhulu html5 Game Maker exist? Tuhulu was created by yellow afterlife, who is a moderator here, and just like lateral GM it mimics (almost) all of the stuff GMS can do.

What does break the EULA is tampering with files associated with the GMS, which doesn't include the project files generated by it.

Edited by time-killer-games, 18 March 2013 - 02:58 AM.

Spoiler

#24 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

An editor doesn't really mimic what a software does (does as in the output).

While I don't feel comfortable making this project open source, I will give the source to anyone who asks nicely provided that the derivative work is not commercial and does not offer functionality that competes against GameMaker Studio. You can make your own compiler if it will be for private use only.

By the way, you don't need an IDE to make a compiler anyway. A compiler should always be a separate program.

#25 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

I know that. But without an IDE the compiler is almost useless. I could make a converter that compiles Pre made gm81 source files but that's not what I'm shooting for. It's all good you don't need to give me the source I was just asking. :)

Cheers!
TKG
Spoiler

#26 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Just downloaded this. Will post my thoughts in a little bit after some testing, but first...

HOLY MOTHER OF LIBRARIES! That's a ton of DLLs. You should put them in a directory within the main directory, if possible, just to make things look neater.

Hehe I know, but I'm going to need all of them. I don't think I can change the location of them, as that is a Windows specific code that I need to do something like that. The situation on Linux will be a lot better, as Linux doesn't have as big a problem with libraries as Windows does. The Linux install will be 3 MB at most.

Anyway, I haven't updated this project in a few days, so I thought I should explain why I'm taking so long. First, I'm a full time college student. Second, writing a GML highlighter is difficult. I'm trying to write beautiful, fast and optimized code and that takes time. I'm actually going to try and rewrite a large chunk of my program to use more lower level classes that Qt allows you to use. I worry highly about the quality of this project.

#27 Rhodox

Rhodox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

This looks very promising!

(and by that I mean better than the current game maker UI, but then again imo a brick is better than the current UI XD)

Great work!

This is for googlebot!
Here is my gaming Website: www.oct.cz.cc

#28 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

First, I'm a full time college student. Second, writing a GML highlighter is difficult. I'm trying to write beautiful, fast and optimized code and that takes time. I'm actually going to try and rewrite a large chunk of my program to use more lower level classes that Qt allows you to use. I worry highly about the quality of this project.

It would be great if you and Jobo could work together. He already has syntax highlighting and code completion pretty much complete. I like your layout better, but his IDE has more features so far.

I'm actually good friends with Jobo. We talk on Skype almost everyday now, exchanging ideas and showing each other our progress. His syntax highlighting is not really "complete". He simply edited the C# highliter, but that comes with limitations. He's limited to using only 3 colors (excluding comments). Mine fixes that, and in the future, it will be able to check for errors. I could do the same as Jobo, but I don't want to. We both use the same script editing library (Scintilla).

Either way, mine is made with C++, and his is made with C#. We don't know any of the same programming languages, so we can't work on anything together... :(

This looks very promising!

(and by that I mean better than the current game maker UI, but then again imo a brick is better than the current UI XD)

Great work!

Thanks, and I agree! I got tired looking at a program that looked like it was made in '98. I made sure this one had a nice UI!

Edited by daspirit, 18 March 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#29 Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Hey, how does this work? Do you work on the project with your IDE, then when you are done, open GMS and compile from there?

Also, I know it's kinda early for requests, but if you ever get the sprite editor working, Batch modifications would be a sweet addition.

"It should be noted that no ethically-trained software engineer would ever consent to write a DestroyBaghdad procedure. Basic professional ethics would instead require him to write a DestroyCity procedure, to which Baghdad could be given as a parameter." - Nathaniel Borenstein

#30 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:56 AM

Hey, how does this work? Do you work on the project with your IDE, then when you are done, open GMS and compile from there?

Also, I know it's kinda early for requests, but if you ever get the sprite editor working, Batch modifications would be a sweet addition.

Yes, that's how it works (makes this more of an editor than IDE haha) but I might try linking the GM:Studio compiler to my application in the future. I really don't know if it will be possible for two reasons. One, because I have a hunch that you might need GM:Studio to create a pre-compile file (although I haven't confirmed this) and two, I don't know if it will be allowed.

It's never too early for requests. I'll take any requests or ideas. What do you mean by batch modifications? My application already loads sprites into memory, seeing them is not too far away, but I'll probably work on viewing other resources before adding a sprite editor (unless someone finds an already existing Qt application or library that I can simply integrate).

#31 Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

Yes, that's how it works (makes this more of an editor than IDE haha) but I might try linking the GM:Studio compiler to my application in the future. I really don't know if it will be possible for two reasons. One, because I have a hunch that you might need GM:Studio to create a pre-compile file (although I haven't confirmed this) and two, I don't know if it will be allowed.

It's never too early for requests. I'll take any requests or ideas. What do you mean by batch modifications? My application already loads sprites into memory, seeing them is not too far away, but I'll probably work on viewing other resources before adding a sprite editor (unless someone finds an already existing Qt application or library that I can simply integrate).

Like the ability to select multiple sprites and Rotate/Mirror/Copy/Delete all of them. Just putting it out there. ^^

"It should be noted that no ethically-trained software engineer would ever consent to write a DestroyBaghdad procedure. Basic professional ethics would instead require him to write a DestroyCity procedure, to which Baghdad could be given as a parameter." - Nathaniel Borenstein

#32 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Wow, please keep up the good work, this is a great IDE!

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#33 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

Like the ability to select multiple sprites and Rotate/Mirror/Copy/Delete all of them. Just putting it out there. ^^

Yeah, that's planned. Something I've always wanted in GameMaker.

Wow, please keep up the good work, this is a great IDE!

Thanks for the support!

I'm desperately looking for a beta tester/debugger. General beta testers work, but I'm also looking for someone who would be willing to compile and test my program under Linux. Linux has Valgrind which is a memory analyzer/profiler. You don't have to know how to use it, just report the data to me. My Linux PC won't boot and there aren't any similar memory debuggers under Windows integrated into Qt.

#34 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Just wanted to let people know that I'm still working on this. I'll be looking for people to make skins soon. I found an online one, and tested it out:

natural_gm_screenshot_4_by_daspirit-d5zc

Skins are written in CSS. Very easy. I even got permission to add JayL's skin after he completes it. This program is going to be very customizable.

In the next version, expect skinning, syntax highlighting (with customizable colors for that as well) and a newsfeed. The preferences window is looking good.

#35 Elevory

Elevory

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Oh my god, this is incredible. This is incredible. Eagerly awaiting further development. A minor suggestion: I'd like to be able to lock the various interface elements. In particular, the top toolbars.

EDIT: Perhaps you may consider getting in touch with this guy, who appears to be working on a similar project.

Edited by Elevory, 30 March 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#36 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

The code is now up at GitHub. Yup, it's open source and under the GPL license now. The link is in the first page. :)

You can clone and derive your own projects from this now. Just don't ask about the code in this topic. PM me.

I don't know when the next update will come out, but you can always see my progress at GitHub.

Edited by daspirit, 02 April 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#37 hbryantlanier@gmail.com

hbryantlanier@gmail.com

GMC Member

• 18 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:46 AM

Hey I downloaded the Program... I really like the way the buttons in the object menu look... its really easier to understand... The Only thing i think that needs to be done is that you need to find a sprite editor like whatever the other gamemakers had... like colorizing and doing animations and that kind of thing...

#38 mike3497

mike3497

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Hey I just downloaded this and wanted to let you know where it says "This project is no way endoresed or affiliated with YoYo Games Ltd." you spelled "endoresed" wrong. It's "endorsed". Other than that, can't wait to check out your IDE. :)

#39 Braffolk

Braffolk

Lumenus Team

• GMC Member
  • 1010 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

no buttons are working... if i create new project there is "set active" or something but they wont do anything. :(

xOVkpik.png

Custom sprite framework(GML): http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=669935

My main project ^o^ 2Volution GMC | GameJolt

#40 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

Yes, this project is very incomplete, so most buttons don't work. I recently finished a lot of exams, so I am going to be able to start working on this more.

There are now 2 contributors other than me. Both of them are going to be working on the loading/saving mechanisms. One is going to be adding the ability to add plugins to be able to add new file formats easily. The other, is going to use this functionality to add .gmk loading.

Meanwhile, I'm currently rewriting everything to support plugins for other things, such as adding custom resources (or recreating existing resources easier in my case).

Stay patient my friends, I'll keep you all updated! This will go somewhere soon!

#41 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1044 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

Yay! Its starting to look much better...

Fortified - The sword thrusting, castle busting, catapult adjusting new Tower Defense game!

More projects and work coming soon... If you need help on voxels, mesh rendering, physics, perlin noise generation, 3D, mathematics or more just contact me and I'll be happy to help!

Skype: zesterer                Email: barry.of.smith@gmail.com <---- Actually, don't use this address, I never check it.

#42 MishMash

MishMash

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1124 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

This looks really cool! I Agree, that the current GM Studio IDE is kinda sloppy and doesn't feel that nice to use D:!
Really looking forward to where this goes, good luck!

VitalitySig18thMar.png

#43 Bracket

Bracket

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

This is hawt haha. I'm definitely interested in this project of yours, daspirit. n_n

I agree with you about the whole GM:S skinning. It's annoying, slow and I've not purchased GM:S for this reason.  :confused:

I'll download this in just a moment and after I've given it a go, I'll try my best to provide some constructive feedback. 

GM:Next is going to be written in C#? I hope they optimize the code well and I really hope they don't try to skin it as they've done with GM:S ... that would be even worse than GM:S.

I'm not against C# as I use it myself and it as long as your application is well written and isn't bloated there shouldn't be any noticeable performance issues. I use C++ and C as well 

though so I'm not biased, just providing a bit of input. xD

I use QT Creator. Is that the IDE you're using for this project? Just a bit curious haha.  :sweat:

fBQ9HRw.png

#44 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

This is hawt haha. I'm definitely interested in this project of yours, daspirit. n_n

I agree with you about the whole GM:S skinning. It's annoying, slow and I've not purchased GM:S for this reason.  :confused:

I'll download this in just a moment and after I've given it a go, I'll try my best to provide some constructive feedback. 

GM:Next is going to be written in C#? I hope they optimize the code well and I really hope they don't try to skin it as they've done with GM:S ... that would be even worse than GM:S.

I'm not against C# as I use it myself and it as long as your application is well written and isn't bloated there shouldn't be any noticeable performance issues. I use C++ and C as well 

though so I'm not biased, just providing a bit of input. xD

I use QT Creator. Is that the IDE you're using for this project? Just a bit curious haha.  :sweat:

C# is bloated in terms of its .NET library. I could reduce the filesize of NGM a ton if I statically link it. I'm still deciding whether I want to do this. If I do decide to do this, plugins would have to include a DLL even though it would already be linked into my my application. I've also seen benchmarks and C++ seems to be a lot faster than C# most of the time. C# is both interpreted and compiled, the former being what makes it slower. Benchmarks also showed me that Mono is A LOT slower than VS written C#. Given this, my project already as an advantage.

Qt is a very fast and efficient library. I am using Qt Creator, as I am using a couple of C++11 features that require newer version of GCC and aren't supported on the newer version of MSVC.

I haven't had much time to work on this. I've only gotten basic plugin support in (which still needs to be expanded before it is usable). However, DatZach is helping me and has gotten very good GMK loading progress. I believe he has written GM8 and GM8.1 support already, but he is still writing support for older versions (the oldest supported format will be GM6). I will be able to commit to this project after my finals are over, which is in 3 weeks.

Edited by daspirit, 04 May 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#45 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1961 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

C# is bloated in terms of its .NET library. I could reduce the filesize of NGM a ton if I statically link it. I'm still deciding whether I want to do this. If I do decide to do this, plugins would have to include a DLL even though it would already be linked into my my application. I've also seen benchmarks and C++ seems to be a lot faster than C# most of the time. C# is both interpreted and compiled, the former being what makes it slower. Benchmarks also showed me that Mono is A LOT slower than VS written C#. Given this, my project already as an advantage.

Whether or not you find .NET bloated depends on what you need. .NET is fantastic. And C# is not interpreted.

Edited by GStick, 04 May 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Posted Image
The next generation of Game Maker fighting games? More like the best.
Showdown Academy | Showdown Academy Blog

Check out my new album at last.fm: KatazTrophee

#46 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

I wrote that C# is both interpreted and compiled, which is correct. It is not 100% pure compiled, which was my main point. Let's not start debates about this and stick to the topic.

I'm not even using C#. Everyone has preferences and mine is C++ because I can get the more out of performance.

Anyway, I have begun writing a menu and toolbar customize window. In addition, I have also started prototyping some thread helper classes.

Also the dark skin is now halfway complete. The dark skin is psDark, designed by JayL. He originally made his skin for GM:Studio, but with permission, it will be coming to Natural GM as well.

#47 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1044 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Awesome. Is it in a useable state yet? Im looking forward to it

Fortified - The sword thrusting, castle busting, catapult adjusting new Tower Defense game!

More projects and work coming soon... If you need help on voxels, mesh rendering, physics, perlin noise generation, 3D, mathematics or more just contact me and I'll be happy to help!

Skype: zesterer                Email: barry.of.smith@gmail.com <---- Actually, don't use this address, I never check it.

#48 Xnite

Xnite

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:54 AM

Any update on this? GM desperately needs a better code IDE.

#49 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

Yes, I'm still working on it. I've begun what is probably the 5th complete rewrite last week. I've been having issues with the plugin interface and I still had very old code lying around. I thought it would be best to rewrite than to continue with those annoying 200 compiler warnings and keeping those old interfaces. The current rewrite is well worth it though. I would have had to make a large overhaul to add what I wanted. I want to be able to open a piece of GML in another window, for example, and then close the original window and continue working on the new window. This would mean that all windows would need toolbars and dock widgets, as well as better allocation when they are not used. The rewrite lets this happen.

Also, because people disliked the large size, I've lowered it. The next time I release an update, it will only be around 17 MB and inside a single executable (the final .zip will be less of course). I can lower this more if people request it (the only downside is that antivirus software will complain about the compression method).

I've also had a change of plans with the GMX file loader. I will release updates with each resource editable alone. I will continue with the whole GMX file reader as soon you are able to edit more than 1 resource. This means that when the next demo comes out, you will be able to edit .gml files, which would, by extension, mean that you would be able to edit scripts in GameMaker Studio using Natural GM as an external editor.

I'd like to apologize for the lack of updates on this topic and to the project in general. I just want to leave you guys with the best experience possible. I can promise the GML editor mid July. Also, I've made a twitter where I will post frequent updates.

#50 Xnite

Xnite

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

Thanks for the update. I really do hope one of the alternate IDE's becomes fully usable. I'm new to Game Maker, and am seriously turned off by the code features of the GM IDE. I have no interest in D&D, but GM makes dealing with code such a horrible and painful experience. I'm coming from Flash Develop mind you which is a wonderful IDE.

All I really want is a better and proper way to code in GML. Be it code on my objects events, or in scripts. I have hopes that Natural GM will evolve and let me do this. But I find it really strange that you have put effort into things like plugins, skins, and reducing the file size, when there are much higher priority things missing. Seriously I doubt people care more about the file size then they do about code highlighting and auto compete.

I'm not meaning to discourage you. This project show promise, and I thank you for your effort. But please don't delay it for the sake of perfection. Or for lower priority features. We just need a better way to code then GM gives us. That is not tough target to beat. Here would be my list of the highest priority missing features in no particular order:

- Code highlighting

- Auto complete

- Single object text editor