399 replies to this topic

#1 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

What Parakeet does is allow you to create and edit GameMaker projects in a more streamlined environment with more focus on programmingless focus on learning and the world of focus on ease-of-use.

Of course, GameMaker will still be required and necessary for certain tasks - including compiling. This is only a choice for an alternative development environment.
When downloading Parakeet you agree that the creator of this software is not responsible for any damage that may occur to your device while the software is installed and any use is at your own risk.

Parakeet 2 has been RELEASED: http://parakeet-ide.org

Check out Parakeet 2 here: http://parakeet-ide.org

My posts are my own views and opinions... Unless they are yours too, in which case I think you're a very intelligent and handsome individual (I think you are anyway!)

#2 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

Wow seeing how you started yesterday, your progress is amazing. I'll be looking forward for updates.

Natural GM, a free and cross-platform alternative IDE for GM:Studio written in C++.

#3 3dman101

3dman101

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 544 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

Well, someone's been busy! @_@

Excellent progress!!! Since my project isn't exactly moving at lightning speed, I'll try to help you and daspirit out when I can, I don't think mine will make it nearly as far as yours anytime soon :P

Helping others with their projects would better suit my schedule anyway :)

#4 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Progress update, see the latest screenshot!
Check topic post for a list of newly implemented features.

PS: read the comments for descriptive text!

Posted Image
(click image for full scale)

My posts are my own views and opinions... Unless they are yours too, in which case I think you're a very intelligent and handsome individual (I think you are anyway!)

#5 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

I like this IDE, since its less GUI and more code :thumbsup:

edit: When will this IDE be available?, I know it doesn't have saving, loading, but I just want to have a look around it, since it really looks amazing.

Edited by Debels, 08 March 2013 - 05:02 PM.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

(Chinese axiom)

#6 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

I'll have to finish some things on it before I can make any kind of release, such as full event -> perform conversion.
I'm glad you're interested though!

If you have any ideas on how you might see it improved, do drop them here!

Update: Parakeet now supports ALL GameMaker events!
Added new maybe-feature: infinite alarm / user events

Edited by Jobo, 09 March 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#7 eejin

eejin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 82 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Looks very nice. I'm annoyed by the d&d blocks being there all the time but you didn't add it so that's very nice :3. Keep on the good work.

#8 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

I'm pleased to announce you can now create, delete, save and load objects that are fully functional in GM:Studio when saved in Parakeet!
Even your Parakeet scripting is fully functional in GM:Studio as it's being preprocessed before saving (virtually a Parakeet -> GML conversion).

Edited by Jobo, 11 March 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#9 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Awesome! :thumbsup:/>

Can't really wait till this is complete , the waiting is killing me :|

Do you know a alpha or beta release date?

Edited by Debels, 17 March 2013 - 03:20 PM.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

(Chinese axiom)

#10 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

There are several matters to attend to before I can release anything, but I promise you I will release an early alpha version - but do know this will not have the full functionality GameMaker: Studio has, it will be bare resource editing only.

I can't give you an estimate, but the initial bricks have been laid and the remaining resource handling should quickly be done with.

--

View the topic post to see a frequently updated list of the Parakeet Extensive GameMaker Language (PEGML).

Edited by Jobo, 11 March 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#11 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Awesome, I don't really care if it doesn't have all the functions that GM:Studios has, I just want it, because GM's drag and drop is rather annoying and I just want to see all the code in 1 page, not changing from 1 code to another...., so this looks really promising :)/>

Edited by Debels, 17 March 2013 - 03:21 PM.

(Chinese axiom)

#12 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

You misunderstood, it has FULL use of GameMaker Language always. PEGML is extended functions I've added to improve the programming experience with the GameMaker Language.

I'll release a version when I'm done with resource loading / saving (room editor not included). It will be able to manipulate resources in-IDE fully and all saved code in Parakeet will be functional in GameMaker (both GML and PEGML).

Note: PEGML is merely an extension of GML, and Parakeet will use both languages.

Edited by Jobo, 13 March 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#13 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

Hi,

Moat of the work I've been doing on this is internal so posting a screenshot wouldn't showcase anything but updated syntax highlighting and autocompletion (resource names are added to both). I'm soon through with full loading and saving (it works, hooray) I just need to apply it to the remaining resource types. Context menu works too.
Then I'll make the preprocessor and then I'll upload a version usable version that can functionally program objects!

Edit: I've added a new screenshot that displays the sprite viewer. Also, sprite loading / saving soon finished (easily adaptable now, as most of the code has already been written)

Posted Image

Edited by Jobo, 16 March 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#14 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Parakeet now has full sprites support!

Posted Image

Remember to fill me in on your ideas if there's anything that would make you want to use Parakeet :).

#15 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

Awesome, I really want to test it....

Can't you release a early, but really early alpha like Natural GM did?

Edited by Debels, 17 March 2013 - 03:22 PM.

(Chinese axiom)

#16 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

I uploaded the current version (0.0.0.1) upon your request.

Download link is in the topic post and in my signature. All other links are likely outdated.

Edited by Jobo, 17 March 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#17 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

Awesome!

edit: Got an error while opening an existing project.

http://pastie.org/6576773

(Chinese axiom)

#18 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

Thank you Debels, do you think you can PM me the .project.gmx file of that project? It's the main file.
I know where the issue is, and it's either due to a malfunctional or inconsistent GM save or an irregularity in the .GMX file structure.

If you tried to open a file other than the base .project.gmx, that would be the cause of the error.

Edit: I just looked at the file structure of one of my older projects and noticed GameMaker doesn't always generate a hash value (or maybe it's a "new" feature).
As it turns out it was due to an irregularity in the .GMX file structure. I will fix it and upload immediate so you can try it out.

Thank you for testing!

I'm not catching or ignoring any errors in the software at this point, so it's more apparent when one occurs.

Download link is in the topic post and in my signature. All other links are likely outdated.

Edited by Jobo, 17 March 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#19 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

Ok, awesome

edit: Got this error while saving: http://pastie.org/6577061

I'm uploading the file I'm using to test.

(Chinese axiom)

#20 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

Hi, Debels,

This issue is known and you can see it by viewing the online release notes :)/>.

I won't recommend saving any projects as they WILL be overwritten.
Therefore, in a sense, this error is good.

Edited by Jobo, 17 March 2013 - 01:14 AM.

#21 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

Yeah I should check the release notes before posting xD

btw: the link to the project I'm using is: https://dl.dropbox.c...6/Demo1.gmx.rar

Edited by Debels, 17 March 2013 - 03:20 PM.

(Chinese axiom)

#22 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

I wanted to post an update on the project after a turbulent start.
These are the release notes, as of the time of this post.

The download link is kept up-to-date every time hotfixes are added to the release notes, so if you see new hotfixes they correspond to the uploaded file.

HOTFIXES March 17th 2013:
- Removed deprecated PEGML performs from autocomplete
- Removed double instantiated PEGML functions & performs from syntax highlighting and autocomplete
- (AFAIK) Fixed problems occurring during saving/loading due to older .GMX file structures
- (AFAIK) Fixed sprite saving issues

NOTES:
- Only objects and sprites load and save
- Sprite viewer stretches large sprites (TEMPORARY SOLUTION)
- You can't change or edit a sprite's image
- All UI elements are subject to change
- UI button elements are not functional
- vk_* PEGML functions are unfunctional in GML when not used on a perform

KNOWN BUGS:
- None

KNOWN ISSUES:
- Sprite origin marker is inaccurate
- Viewing sprite without image will use the previously loaded sprite

PS: only links in the topic post and my signature are kept up-to-date, all other links (quotes etc.) are not!

Update:

Posted Image

Edited by Jobo, 17 March 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#23 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

I tried to open one of my projects and got:

Have you saved and resaved the project in GameMaker as suggested? GameMaker Studio removed some events, so if you have an old project, it will not load quickly because it will not know how to parse the event. Jobo mentioned this in the first post.

Natural GM, a free and cross-platform alternative IDE for GM:Studio written in C++.

#24 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

Thank you, it does help. I can see where the error is and it surprises me.
The inconsistency of GameMaker's file structure makes it seem like they were made by a spider on LSD.

I'll look into it, thank you. Please edit your post and put the error in spoiler tag or entirely remove it as it takes up a lot of space smile.gif.

To add parameters, just save the functions in a txt file and send it to me through a PM when you're done, I'd really appreciate the help!

Thanks for testing!

Edited by Jobo, 18 March 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#25 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

I'm not planning for this to be open source, no. I simply believe releasing something like this to the "common horde" for people to upload and distribute freely could potentially create problematic and malevolent situations.

Uploading your .GMX helped a lot and likely resolved the issue.

For pure confirmation, could you upload the file called "Default.config.gmx" in the folder {root}\Configs\ too please? This will prove whether my presumption of where the error ocurred is correct.

Thank you very much for your cooperation :).

If you want to help, adding parameters to the functions would really be a great help - and the very best aid you can possibly give me is testing the software :).

I'm working on Parakeet right now, adding sound loading / saving.

Edited by Jobo, 18 March 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#26 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

I have been very busy and have therefore not been able to work much on the IDE. However, know that a sound interface is being readied - and likely basic image maneuvering to come for sprites.

Edit: Update! Sound loading / saving (context menu and interface also of course) added and fully functional.

Edited by Jobo, 22 March 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#27 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

New version uploaded (still under v0.0.0.1).

Latest features:

- Resources can be moved around the TreeView by drag & drop 

- Sound saving / loading 
- Sounds context menu (right-click menu) 
- Audio playback like you've never seen in GameMaker! 
- Audio fast forward and rewind (through slider) 
- Sound interface 
- Sprite boundaries now drawn in sprite viewer 
- Several bugfixes (more stable) 

- Object property bug fixed (solid, visible, persistent) 

- Event -> Perform conversion bug fixed 

- Fixed sprite origin marker 

View the release notes (http://dl.dropbox.co...t_newsfeed.html) for further info.

Download link: https://dl.dropbox.c...akeet-0.0.1.msi

Edit: Updated news feed display - added show/hide functionality.

New screenshot added:

b8eed92aea165a315f3d4ad.png

Edited by Jobo, 28 March 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#28 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

Major update to Parakeet!

I realise there'll be split feelings toward this, but this is how it's gonna be from now on - it's for the best, both for you, the user, and me, the developer.

The download links in my signature and in this topic won't change from now on.

I've implemented an auto-updater in Parakeet and it'll notify you of updates just like GameMaker: Studio.

The download links on this site are for the very base (and only, as of this post) version including the auto-updater, so all future updates you will get through Parakeet itself.

This means a few things will change;

- Release notes. I will have to resort to a more classic way of writing release notes - this is a lot easier for me.

- The initial download is no longer a ZIP archive, it is an MSI installer, created with Advanced Installer 10.0.

- Parakeet will be in-/uninstalled like any other software with an installer.

- I can't update as frequently as I have been now; new releases will be version updates and thus contain a lot more features and fixes.

The auto-updater has these options:

- Download and install

- Skip this version

- Reminder ("wait until I'm ready")

You will still have to revisit this topic to post feedback and report bugs / errors, although I plan on adding a bug reporter IN Parakeet in the future, so you don't even have to leave the IDE.

Any versions of Parakeet you have on your PC right now are outdated. You must re-download Parakeet through the link in my signature.

Thank you for your support!

Edited by Jobo, 27 March 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#29 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 613 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Tasks YOU can help with... 
- Add parameters to all (or some of) these functions, variables and constants where applicable (list contains only the functions/variables/constants I still need parameters for)
(credit will be given both in this topic and in the IDE itself!)

If you go to %APPDATA%\GameMaker-Studio directory, there is "fnames" file with all arguments.

Previously game developer at YoYoGames, Currently PHP developer in DB-Team
Programming and working with: GML/C#/PHP/JS/MySql/CSS/HTML

Follow 
@GameMakerUpdate to get info about latest versions of GM when they are released: https://twitter.com/GameMakerUpdate or visit website.

(it's managed by bot, not by human, remember)

#30 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Thank you very much for your help, gnysek!

It's very much appreciated :).

I'm working hard to roll up the next Parakeet release!

If you have already installed Parakeet, you'll see an update soon! If not, download now from the link my signature!

* The auto-updater runs when you've opened a project in Parakeet, this is changed in the next version, where it'll run on the launcher.

#31 destro

destro

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hey Jobo I just start making my first game but GMS GUI is horrible for me and your version is what it should look like couple years ago, i can't believe that this program have over 10 years and gui probably doesn't change much from fist version :/

but there is hope and it's called PARAKEET! :)

Keep up good work, looks great so far and grow quite fast :)

and thanks for your hard work! :)

#32 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thank you very much for the kind words destro, it's incredibly helpful - and I'm really glad you like it :)

Parakeet version 0.0.2 released!

parakeetupdate.png

Release notes v0.0.2 (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9596052/Parakeet/release-notes-0.0.2.html)

Edited by Jobo, 28 March 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#33 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

I can't believe this day has come..... Jobo after many released change the version of Parakeet.... xD

I thought this update would be released like tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, so at this time its perfect ^_^

My thought about Parakeet v0.0.2:

-The auto-updater looks really good, I was expecting something really simple and this was a big surprise for me.

-Its good that Parakeet finally has a "Logo" and the "Launcher" text being replaced by it.

-The general "fixes" to Parakeet really make a difference in the IDE.

-The new features added to Parakeet puts the IDE on a place where you can use it to make the "back end" of your game, So this update is been a relatively "big one" so far.

That said I want to add:

I think the IDE is going on good track and at this stage I would say: "I would even buy Parakeet" since its a really good developing environment for people that don't want all the GUI Studios has, making it a waste of time changing and looking for events in GM:Studios.

Edited by Debels, 28 March 2013 - 05:46 PM.

(Chinese axiom)

#34 EpicMeleeCupcake

EpicMeleeCupcake

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

That's a Damn fine logo you've made yourself there, I even had to make this account to comment on it, that's how damn fine it is :3

Anyway, I'm new to this forum, as I just said *duh* and abit new to game maker as well.. So, this will come in handy for sure!

I have a idea tho, something I've seen in a few other softwares ( Which names I can't remember, so why did I even mention it.... ) Could you maybe make a option for users to create custom shortcuts for specific pieces of code?

Like this: ( Epic Knife Party Moombahton drop right here oh yeah! )

haha, okay sorry, now HERE is my idea:

If I use a specific chunk of code ALOT, lets say ''image_angle=point_direction(x,y,mouse_x,mouse_y) then I could be able to make a shoutcut for it ?
Like this:

When I'm making the shortcut you could make a textbox and a option, the textbox for the piece of code you want the shortcut to generate, the option for the shoutcut you'd like it to be ( Like ctrl+D )

Would this be possible :o?

Great piece of software bro, you should really start selling it.. and maybe get a custom design for it, you already proven to be a excellent designer, so, why not :P

#35 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

That's a Damn fine logo you've made yourself there, I even had to make this account to comment on it, that's how damn fine it is :3

Anyway, I'm new to this forum, as I just said *duh* and abit new to game maker as well.. So, this will come in handy for sure!

I have a idea tho, something I've seen in a few other softwares ( Which names I can't remember, so why did I even mention it.... ) Could you maybe make a option for users to create custom shortcuts for specific pieces of code?

Like this: ( Epic Knife Party Moombahton drop right here oh yeah! )

haha, okay sorry, now HERE is my idea:

If I use a specific chunk of code ALOT, lets say ''image_angle=point_direction(x,y,mouse_x,mouse_y) then I could be able to make a shoutcut for it ?
Like this:

When I'm making the shortcut you could make a textbox and a option, the textbox for the piece of code you want the shortcut to generate, the option for the shoutcut you'd like it to be ( Like ctrl+D )

Would this be possible :o?

Great piece of software bro, you should really start selling it.. and maybe get a custom design for it, you already proven to be a excellent designer, so, why not :P

For that you can use scripts

(Chinese axiom)

#36 EpicMeleeCupcake

EpicMeleeCupcake

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Yeah... but then, no.. I mean, when you're coding, then instead of writing that code then just press your shortcut! ( I mean global in Parakeet, not just in one specific project )

If you use a specific core ALOT in almost everything you make, like me, I'm using the basic stuff like image_angle in 99% of the games I make, so, then it would be cool to have a shortcut for that specific code ( And many more )

#37 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Yeah... but then, no.. I mean, when you're coding, then instead of writing that code then just press your shortcut! ( I mean global in Parakeet, not just in one specific project )

If you use a specific core ALOT in almost everything you make, like me, I'm using the basic stuff like image_angle in 99% of the games I make, so, then it would be cool to have a shortcut for that specific code ( And many more )

Then use an extension.

(Chinese axiom)

#38 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

I'm using the basic stuff like image_angle in 99% of the games I make

The autocompletion will suggest image_angle when you type 'image_a', press 'Enter' and it will autocomplete. Also, your suggestion is duly noted - you may see it in Parakeet, but probably not through a key press combination :).

As of my current plans, I will not sell Parakeet but I will think about putting up a way for those who want to donate to me to keep my encouragement up and the project going.

And if I ever decide to sell it, those who donated the price or above will receive a license freely and those who donated below will have to pay the difference.

For people who donated above the price... I'll see about packaging something special for them, if it happens that I go commercial.

And for a little spoiler on version 0.0.3... You're in for a very big treat!

Edited by Jobo, 28 March 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#39 EpicMeleeCupcake

EpicMeleeCupcake

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

The autocompletion will suggest image_angle when you type 'image_a', press 'Enter' and it will autocomplete. Also, your suggestion is duly noted - you may see it in Parakeet, but probably not through a key press combination :)

Okay, I'll wait and seen then :D

And for a little spoiler on version 0.0.3... You're in for a very big treat!

YAY! I love treats! :D

Now I'll wait, and until next time I'll headbang to some knife party!

#40 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

The autocompletion will suggest image_angle when you type 'image_a', press 'Enter' and it will autocomplete. Also, your suggestion is duly noted - you may see it in Parakeet, but probably not through a key press combination :).

As of my current plans, I will not sell Parakeet but I will think about putting up a way for those who want to donate to me to keep my encouragement up and the project going.

And if I ever decide to sell it, those who donated the price or above will receive a license freely and those who donated below will have to pay the difference.

For people who donated above the price... I'll see about packaging something special for them, if it happens that I go commercial.

And for a little spoiler on version 0.0.3... You're in for a very big treat!

I don't like spoilers xD, they make me impatient for the next release :|

(Chinese axiom)

#41 AcAnimate

AcAnimate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Great IDE! I love the logo * cough * haha.... I sure did that well.... xD

Anyway, Got some ideas for future features and functions:

- Trophies / Trophy system in PEGML.

- implementing some exclusive custom functions, based on common used codes.

Like this:
It would function almost like a script, but it's just implemented into Parakeet / PEGML as a function. ---> image_angle=point_direction(x,y,mouse_x,mouse_y); could be this instead: turret(mouse_x,mouse_y);

And of course more advanced codes as well. I can see this be very helpful, especially for new users of GML.

I'll edit this post or post a new one ( depending on the amount of other posts in between. ) with more ideas!

Edited by AcAnimate, 31 March 2013 - 12:06 AM.

bht3.png
Visit my YouTube! or my own Website! for more awesome stuff! I will update with alot more Game maker related stuff too.

#42 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Something like that is part of the plan and trophies is a great idea for it!

Popular / useful DLLs and miscellaneous scripts will also be implemented to Parakeet Extensive GameMaker Language (PEGML) and simplified where possible. Functionalities of interest include Ogre 3D (or other 3D engines) and gameplay video capture and perlin noise generation.

Suggestions are more than welcome!

Also, as soon as we have *cough* ready, the next release comes out ;)

Edited by Jobo, 30 March 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#43 Terrified Virus

Terrified Virus

Moderators Plaything

• GMC Member
  • 753 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

This looks awesome :) Can't wait to see more progress, I will definitely be using this.

1357275755.png

#44 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Version 0.1.1 (previously known as 0.0.3) is around the corner and will come out early next week.

I'll spill the beans on a single, newly introduced feature - prefabs (this is not the surprise!)

If you know your way around the Unity interface, you'll already be familiar with this concept. It's short for prefabricated assets.

The amount of prefabs will be scarce at first but will increase in numbers, functionality and variety over time - you may also submit prefabs, and if good enough they may be added.

Prefabs (will) include anything from scripts and objects to sounds and DLLs.

Adding engines as prefabs is also something I've considered, but at this point - with the prefab feature altogether - I began reconsidering selling Parakeet, seeing as this is a lot of work and frankly I don't think I would receive a worthwhile amount of donations if I were to choose that path (although I really, really rather would!!)... Especially as I'd create a website for Parakeet if it came to that, and this would - obviously - be an expense I would like to see covered (as with any other Parakeet-related expenses that somehow help improve the Parakeet experience)... I would really rather walk the donation path, so I don't force anything on anyone - although the price would be low ($10-20). Hmm... Thoughts?

Edited by Jobo, 31 March 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#45 Elevory

Elevory

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yeah, it sounds like a legal gray area. But, damn it, a more developed version of this software is easily worth $10. Looking forward to that update.

EDIT: Also, I would like to request some flexibility in modifying the program's appearance. I'm not particularly fond of the folder/asset icons nor the font for the code editor. This probably doesn't belong too high on your to-do list, however, a preferences page shouldn't be hard to implement.

Edited by Elevory, 31 March 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#46 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed, but if that's the way I'll try to take Parakeet, I will of course consult YoYo Games first.

However, I would love it if I could do the donations path. Especially with the BIG plans I have, for something you guys have wanted for oh so long in GameMaker :).

Yeah, it sounds like a legal gray area. But, damn it, a more developed version of this software is easily worth $10. Looking forward to that update.

EDIT: Also, I would like to request some flexibility in modifying the program's appearance. I'm not particularly fond of the folder/asset icons nor the font for the code editor. This probably doesn't belong too high on your to-do list, however, a preferences page shouldn't be hard to implement.

The font is standard for code editors, but it will of course come in the future - customizability is important! And as for the icons, v0.1.1 (the next release) already has them replaced with completely original icons :).

Edited by Jobo, 31 March 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#47 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

btw: Scripts don't get saved on parakeet 0.0.2 :/

Also I think its better to choose the donating path and see how it goes, if your satisfied with what you get leave it as it is and if your not getting as much as you expect then make a paid and a free version

(Chinese axiom)

#48 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Hmm... Well it's all functional in 0.1.1!

Yeah I'll go with donation, that's what I truly want - and if no donations come so be it, but whether or not I create a website and certain very difficult features will fully depend on the sum of the / any donations... I'm very enthusiastic about Parakeet though, I think it has great potential - some of which is unleashed in 0.1.1 :).

I may soon be looking for a person to aid me in writing the Parakeet Manual (if anyone, may just do it myself - would be good time wasted that I could've used on development though).

Edited by Jobo, 01 April 2013 - 02:02 AM.

#49 Elevory

Elevory

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:58 AM

The font is standard for code editors, but it will of course come in the future - customizability is important! And as for the icons, v0.1.1 (the next release) already has them replaced with completely original icons :).

Great to hear, thanks.

#50 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

Parakeet version 0.1.1 released!

eb0acfb42734fb4de06931a.png

Release notes v0.1.1 (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9596052/Parakeet/release-notes-0.1.1.html)

I hope those who felt paying for Parakeet would be worth it will still allow themselves to support us (PayPal button in news feed when launching Parakeet) so we can keep this up - seeing as the decision is to distribute Parakeet freely. This software requires a lot of our time!

And, of course, donations will definitely be put to good use :). First aim is a website. All supporters (who've entered a name and donated more than $20) will be listed in the IDE (we reserve all rights to change this) accessible through the menu bar.

5394184fa28cc19f994c36e074389ed3.png

Edited by Jobo, 01 April 2013 - 05:41 PM.